May 9th, 2008

Kennedy says no to joint ticket

Ted Kennedy endorsed Barack Obama last January.
Ted Kennedy endorsed Barack Obama last January.

(CNN) – Add Obama supporter Sen. Ted Kennedy to the list of joint-ticket naysayers.

In an interview airing this weekend, the Massachusetts senator told Bloomberg’s Al Hunt that despite widespread talk of a ticket featuring both Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, "I don't think it's possible."

He added that “…I would hope that he would also give consideration to somebody that has - is in tune with his appeal for the nobler aspirations of the American people. And I think if we had real leadership - as we do with Barack Obama - in the number-two spot as well, it'd be enormously helpful.”

Kennedy also said that he had not spoken with former President Bill Clinton since endorsing Barack Obama.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Ted Kennedy
  1. faye mena

I am offended with Hillary's comments about people over 50 years, so called uneducated and that make under $75,000. Does she think we don't have any sense?? or are unintelligent.
    Sue
    Florida

May 9, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  2. Desmond Sequeira

Edward Kennedy is so right.

Despite the spin, Clinton does not have the character to lead constructively

May 9, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  3. TINA

I took a count in my town, and the finding were. People that voted for Clinton stated that they will now vote for MaCain. And I hope MaCain WINS.

May 9, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  4. j creek

how about al sharpton or louis farakahn??? those are supporters of barak obama. he can't win anyway. just make it a statement that black bigots can make a run for the white house and get on with having a real president. ted kennedy??? shouldn't he be in jail for murder anyway??

May 9, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  5. Inside-out

Don't ride in a car with Teddy...Will he be Obamas' right or left hand man?

May 9, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  6. mary cleveland, ohio

Beautifully said! Senator Kennedy is correct, and made his statement with great dignity. Thank you Senator Kennedy!

May 9, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  7. d

Nobler aspirations of the American people???? Ted means nobler aspirations of OUR POLITICIANS TURNING THIS COUNTRY INTO A NANNY STATE. Go home Mr. Kennedy please, you are a disgrace to those that want to keep our liberties, freedoms and Nation's sovereignty in tact!!!!

May 9, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  8. Jim

I feel sorry for ted, his time has pasted, and the good boys is going down. Hillary is fixing to clean house.

May 9, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  9. Tania

Well , as I have said before , Obama will be guided by the old guard , so much for change.
    Obama doesn't have an original thought of his own , he is too liberal and too inexperienced.

May 9, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  10. Joe Regis

A joint ticket is not really as desirable as people think.

two opponents digging dirt on each other and all of a sudden everithing is all right. tough to swallow.

Winner take all and looser go home.

May 9, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  11. ChicoSez

Kennedy is right, Hillary should turn down the VP and teddy should get it. The two most liberal senators in the Congress. What about the Kennedy/McCain bill, does that prove that McCain can cross party lines and be a unifier. Or id McCain/Fiengold prove that? I'm feeling better and better about my decision to leave the dem party and vote for McCain. Thank you, Ted Kennedy.

May 9, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  12. Mike

Did I hear Obama say he'd been to 57 states in this campaign?

May 9, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  13. Dissapointed Democrat

And calling Hillary a lowlife brings the party together?

Ted and Kerry are proffesional loosers along with Dean.

I wont vote for Obama Teddy just helped with my decision.

May 9, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  14. ChicoSez

maybe Joe Liberman is smarter than I thought.

May 9, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  15. Solomon Ezobi

Surely, the Kennedys, The Kerrys, The Richardsons are all sour grapes who I believe all have an axe to grind with the Clintons. Let us base our judgement on principle and not sour grapes. Leave Hilary alone to fight to finish. Afterall we are a democracy. Stop this bullying and get on with it?

May 9, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  16. Not Yet Registered in CA

Ted has as much "garbage" as you all say about Hillary.

May 9, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  17. NCvoter

I am sure she thinks this is just another avenue to get into the White House. Become VP, unleash the Clinton mafia and before you know it, it is President Clinton. Remember all the strange occurrences during Bill's presidency ?

May 9, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  18. Jeanie in Oregon has Hope and wants change

Hey
    That one white person who will vote for Obama....

I was going to say the same thing :)

Could you imagine how much security would have to be around him all the time ???? food tasters too :)

HILLARY FOR VP WOULD STILL BE OLD WASHINGTON POLITICS, I DON'T THINK OBAMA WOULD DO THAT TO US..............

By the way .....

I guess I am the other white person who voted for Obama here in Oregon just this week :)

Jeanie

May 9, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  19. picture two loosers

Kennedy is a looser and divided the party once.

Too bad that we are loosing this one as well after all the hoopla we are going to choose the looser again... Kennedy, Gore, Kerry and now Obama....

May 9, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  20. Doug, West Virginia

Sen Ted Kennedy never really liked you but NOW you ar making sense.

If Hillary is on the ticket then Obama is just another Politician and We will just have to look for another "one" in 2012.

Obama/ Webb 08

May 9, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  21. Gary, Indiana

Go Ted!

May 9, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  22. hmmm

@ Relevant

If they wanted to over turn R v W they would have done it already.

They already have enough Supreme court justices on the bench to do so.

Being a 1 issue voter = Lame !

May 9, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  23. Lee WV

I've said it before I'll vote for Obama.But not Obama/Clinton

May 9, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  24. Solomon Ezobi

Surely, the Kennedys, The Kerrys, The Richardsons are all sour grapes who I believe all have an axe to grind with the Clintons. Let us base our judgement on principle and not sour grapes. Leave Hilary alone to fight to finish. Afterall we are a democracy. Stop this bullying and let her get on with it?

May 9, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  25. LP

Ted Kenedy is an old washed up has been. I am tired of hearing him speak.

May 9, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |