May 9th, 2008

Obama calls Edwards delegates in South Carolina

Obama held a conference call with Edwards delegates on Thursday afternoon.
Obama held a conference call with Edwards delegates on Thursday afternoon.

(CNN) - After a morning spent courting superdelegates in Washington, Barack Obama convened a conference call Thursday afternoon to reach out to pledged delegates in South Carolina committed to former candidate John Edwards.

Two Edwards delegates on the call said Obama discussed his vision for the presidency and told the delegation he looks forward to working with them at the Democratic National Convention this summer.

Ed Turlington, an Edwards adviser from North Carolina who committed to Obama in April, participated in the conference call, as did former South Carolina Gov. Jim Hodges, an Obama backer.

Obama spokesman Bill Burton said the call was simply an opportunity for the Democratic frontrunner "to give folks an update on the campaign and a chance to ask questions."

Several South Carolina Democrats familiar with the Edwards delegation said a handful of the former senator's eight pledged delegates in the state are considering throwing their support to Obama.

Edwards finished third in the South Carolina primary on January 29 before dropping out of the presidential race. He was awarded eight delegates and one alternate delegate, all of whom were named last weekend at the state party convention in Columbia. Obama earned 25 delegates from his primary victory. Clinton won 12.

John Moylan, an Edwards confidante who was tapped as the alternate delegate to the convention, described the discussion as a little more than courtesy call.

"It was less suspicious than it sounds," said Moylan, who served as South Carolina state director for the Edwards campaign. "We made clear that we were committed to John Edwards."

"He basically told us, 'I respect your commitment to John Edwards, and I look forward to working with you guys,'" he said.

Moylan said Clinton associates have inquired about arranging a similar conference call, but that Clinton herself has not held any talks with the Edwards delegates.

1. Lawrence

Do Hillary supporters know maths?There is no way in the world of maths that she can win!!!They should be backing Obama to make a stronger party!

May 9, 2008 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  2. Independent

Universal support for Obama by 15% of voters is not going get Obama elected.

He is going to look similar to Mondale. The only difference will be Illinois Vs Minnesota.

Will not vote for someone full of rhetoric and platitude and no substance.

May 9, 2008 08:32 am at 8:32 am |
  3. Enjoy It While It Lasts - Nov is Coming

Have fun now, Obama fans. We Florida voters will send disenfranchising Obama's behind back to Chicago in November.

And don't bother screaming Roe vs. Wade at me. I can no longer have children, so I don't care. I have health insurance. I can afford gas even if it goes to $10 a gallon because I worked hard all my life, and so I can afford everything I need.

This formerly true-blue Democrat who has never voted Republican in her entire life WILL vote for McCain if Barack is the Democratic nominee, and NOTHING will change my mind.

May 9, 2008 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  4. ne, Pa.

Obama's the only candidate that can shake-up Washington!
    Clinton and McCain are the old stuck in the mud Washington insiders.

May 9, 2008 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  5. Nodak

Onward for the Arrogant American

May 9, 2008 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  6. Lawrence

There is no wrong thinking in poliotics.They are all wondeful candidates,but this time America and the world needs a presiddent like OBAMA.He is the only one with the momentum to be that great leader .OBAMA 2008!

May 9, 2008 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  7. Kyle

If Obama was really a Uniter he would have never agreed to allow MI and FL to be disenfranchised. Clinton has given him ample opportunity to unite the party and allow MI and FL delegates and votes to count. Yet he has refused to do arguing that the rules are already in place. Then his campaign turns around and suggests a 64-64 split of MI delegates. Seems to me Obama believes its important to follow the rules, unless its an advantage for him.

May 9, 2008 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  8. Seam, Philly PA

dying a slow death.................

May 9, 2008 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  9. Ardnuas

Come on superdelegates..... get on board NOW.... Please don't allow the Clintons to DESTROY the Democratic party over RACE!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Obama/Edwards08

May 9, 2008 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  10. Bob Indianapolis, IN

As the Chambers Brothers said "The time has come today!"

May 9, 2008 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  11. Hillary's Path to the Presidency

News Flash- Clinton drops the DNC, runs for President as an Independent, beats Obama and McCain in the general election. Obama cannot win without her supporters. McCain loses because his stance on war. The United States Economy is saved. GO HILLARY.

May 9, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  12. Julie

Obama has very questionable charachter! not to mention, nobody nreally knows where he stands on the issues. From all that I have read and heard, he wants this country to fold! sounds alot like marxism! I will never unite with that !!!!!!

May 9, 2008 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  13. Bob Stephens

I had considered voting for Edwards at one point in time, but since it is rather obvious that making a decision seems to be a problem for him, I am glad I didn't..

May 9, 2008 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  14. Navy Vet.

It may not be that all of the people have spoken about Sen. Obama being the presumptive Democratic nominee, but they are sure clearing their throats getting ready to let er' rip! If W VA doesn't fall into the Clinton trap, and votes their hearts and minds they could very well be the final nail in the perverbial coffin.

Tuesday will tell us much more!

May 9, 2008 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  15. shay/florida

I think John Edwards would be an excellent running mate for Barack Obama, he'd also bring in the blue collar worker.

May 9, 2008 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  16. Myrtle Guseman

( Change we can belive in ) WHAT CHANGE???? If you vote for Barack H Obama,you just may get your change,but will it be a good one??? I don't think so!!!!!!!

May 9, 2008 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  17. Julie

Please Obama supporters, leave Chelsea out of your comments, she gave hundreds of speeches for her mom, unlike Michelle Obama, who they have to keep hidden most of the time, because of her poor attitude toward the U.S, this is the women you want in the white house?? I want no part of that..

May 9, 2008 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  18. DN

Politicians are politicians. They change, once they get into the white house. Money whispers evil into their minds and they forget who they represent. That is the single and the biggest problem.
    Between Hillary and Barack, I can she that it is easier for Hillary to accept the money and forget all the promises made to the BLUE COLLAR workers in all the states. That is my gut feeling!

May 9, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  19. Chief lagosboy, NJ

Congratulation Obama, we are almost home!

Our President Obama 08’ & 12’

May 9, 2008 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  20. More Sperdelegates

The flood has started. Two more besides the other two supers just supported him! To all the Obama haters millions upon millions of people (who voted for Barack) can't be all wrong, can they??? He has actually taught me not to hate those who are different and I actually look at my fellow americans differently now. Thank you Obama for teaching me some goodness.

May 9, 2008 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  21. Jim

Praise God from Whom all blessings flow!! Congrats , Senator Obama, you have run an outstanding campaign...
    Jim

May 9, 2008 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  22. Jen

Clinton was not ready on day one for Obama. That shows her judgment and 'experience'.

Do you want our country run the way she's run her campaign – broke, in debt, unorganized and defeated?

Think about it!!