May 9th, 2008

Obama picks up two superdelegates, gap narrowed to seven

Obama met with several undecided superdelegates on Capitol Hill Thursday.
Obama met with several undecided superdelegates on Capitol Hill Thursday.

(CNN) - Barack Obama won two more superdelegate endorsements Thursday, narrowing his deficit with Hillary Clinton to seven.

North Carolina Rep. Brad Miller and Washington Rep. Rick Larsen both announced they will cast their superdelegate votes for the Illinois senator.

"The decision was not easy," Miller, a two-term congressman, said in a statement. "Senator Clinton has run an impressive campaign, and has spoken eloquently to the concerns to working and middle class American families. She is one of the great leaders of this generation.

"Senator Obama understands that he has the chance not just to win the election this year, but to be a great president," he added.

Miller's district, which includes Raleigh, overwhelmingly voted for Obama Tuesday, 63 percent to 35 percent.

Larsen, a three-term congressman whose district lies in the northwest area of Washington state, praised Obama as the "best candidate to turn our country's hopes for a better future into reality."

"This week, Senator Obama has proven that he is tough and resilient," he said. "He has shown that he can take a pounding, come back and continue to communicate with the public to deliver his message of hope and change."

Obama easily defeated Clinton in Washington's February 19 caucus, 68 percent to 31 percent.

The two endorsements bring Clinton's advantage over Obama among superdelegates down to seven, according to CNN's estimate; Clinton has the backing of 267 superdelegates, while Obama has 260.

Since Tuesday's primaries, Obama has gained six superdelegates while Clinton has picked up one. But Clinton also lost a superdelegate Wednesday - DNC member Jennifer McClellan switched her support to Obama - for a net gain of zero.

(Updates with Larsen endorsement)

1. Related to Former Republicans

To all ofy ou drawing firm party lines, THIS IS A NEW KIND OF ELECTION!!!
    four of my registered Republican relatives are voting Obama.
    Thank you Mr. Miller!!

May 8, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  2. Dean Chambers

Welcome- Obama's stand on the gas tax took a lot of guts, he was up against the wall and knew his stand for what was right and in the best interests of the american people.

May 8, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  3. Scott Marshall

The reason Hillary is still in? To recoup the 12 million dollars that she had to cough up to keep her campaign afloat, that's why! She's trying to get gullible people to continue to give her money so she can bow out with something to show for it.

May 8, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  4. Terrence (Winston Salem,NC)

Can't believe there are such "bitter" people here. Revenge, Hate.... these are the faces you guys are showing in a time when America could be coming together.

I voted for the Clintons in the 90s. I voted for Obama this year. I believed in Bill Clinton in 1992. I believe in Obama in 2008. Why is this so hard to understand.

May 8, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  5. fred

you know what someone should tell hillary to get out, because if she stays in its the crazyest thing she can do to are party. she says she a lawer but she cant count.

May 8, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  6. OBAMERICAN FROM CANADA

I am a doctor and i want to recomend some some cure for TWO FORMIDABLE CANDIDATE.

CANDIDATE OVER THE AGE OF 59 TAKE 1(ONE) SD EVERY 3 WEEKS,CAUTION: more than 1 SD every 3 weeks will be overdose.

CANDIDATE BELOW THE AGE OF 50 TAKE 3 SD's DAILY,CAUTION: taking less than 3SD a day will not strong since your blood is still young.

READ THE LEBEL FOR BEST RESULT: ALL THE REMAINING SD'S SHOULD GO AND WAIT IN OBAMA'S INFIRMARY SO HE DOSEN'T RUN OUT SINCE IT'S A RECOMENDATION FROM THE DOCTOR.

I AM DR POLITICIAN,BSA,BSC,OBM,BOW,EAP.

---WE LOVE OBAMA HERE ,WE WISH HE IS A CANADIAN--–
    BRO P. FROM CANADA.

May 8, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  7. deborah jeane, Boston

McCain will be much worse than shrub.

He has a bad temper, and a murderous past that he is compelled to justify, a violent past on which he has been riding on.

shrub at least avoded shooting people when hard to justify doing so.

May 8, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  8. Ric

Democrats for Mc Cain '08

May 8, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  9. Marshall

"Clinton!!! or McCain!!!!!"

Remember if this is how you feel and vote...you only have yourself to blame when things get worse.

Be Democrats not babies.

May 8, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  10. Go Obama

Its one thing to fairly split the Florida and Michigan votes then seat the superdelegates etc at the convention. Its not okay to delegates of a voting primary that was unfairly done and canvased. Everyone knows that Obama just followed the DNC and felt that since the votes would not count according to the rules.. so he felt he could make more work towards states that were going to count.

Hillary kept herself on the ticket and did speeches at both states. The only reason Obama was not taken off the ticket in Florida is because the state refused to remove the names. Its not fair to take the primary results as it was. It was not fairly won. To split them evenly is the only way.

Hillary is only trying to up her delegates in a unfair manner to try and win. That to me is called cheating and dishonest which really shows Hillarys character. It also shows she will stoop to the lowest to try and win. I wonder how she got this way? Was it her upbringing that she so much talks about?

May 8, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  11. ISABELLA, TEXAS

DON'T RUSH TO CAST YOUR VOTE FOR MCCAIN SO – IF HILL DOES NOT GET THE NOMINATION. ALWAYS THINK ABOUT #1 (YOU) IN THIS CRITICAL TIMES. I HAVE VOTED REPUBLICAN FOR THE PAST 20 YEARS, BUT IT'S TIME TO TRY SOMETHING ELSE. I'M DOING THIS BECAUSE I CAN NO LONGER ENDURE THE EXPENSES THE REPUBLICANS ARE CAUSING ME. I DON'T KNOW IF I'M DOING THE RIGHT THING, I JUST PRAY TO GOD THAT I AM. IT REALLY DOESN'T MATTER WHICH CANDIDATE IS PRESIDENT, IT'S THE CONGRESS WHO MAKES ALL THE DECISIONS. THAT'S WHO WE SHOULD BE MOVING OUT OF WASHINGTON. THEY SHOULD ONLY BE ALLOWED TO SERVE NO MORE THAN 8 YEARS . OH WHAT A WONDERFUL COUNTRY THIS WOULD BE.

May 8, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  12. Rich

I'm getting tired Hillary... I supported Obama for a while now but even through all that has happened I still respected you. But today has to be the last day. I can no longer defend someone who has been so utterly negative. Race baiting at it's best, and I hate to say that because a part of me believes you are not an any way racist. But I know and we all know how intelligent you are and we know what you are trying to do. Your comment today is like saying the Black, Latino, Asian, and everyone else's votes don't count. Everyones vote counts here Hillary. It's not just the blue collar white people. Whites aren't the only "blue collar" workers in this country. Lets also highlight all of Obama supporters. Rich, poor, liberal, young, old, all races if there is such a thing, and most importantly REPUBLICANS! Do YOU see a pattern?

May 8, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  13. BigAce

For those HRC supporters trying to explain your reasons for not wanting to vote for Obama, you can give it a rest. You would never vote for OBAMA even if he was running against a corpse.

Don't insult our intelligence by contribing excuses that only you have imagined to justify your position. You don't have to explain your reason for not wanting to vote for OBAMA, we already know!!

I look at the HRC supporters reasons and rationalizations and all I can do is scratch my head and think, are these reasonable and rational thinking people? Do they actually believe what they are saying? And the answer is "YES".

These people don't like change, especially if it comes wrapped in dark paper. If you are representive of the Democratic party and choose to vote for McSame, then I say "bye-bye" and I'm sure you will feel right at home in the monotone republican party.

They haven't change anything in over 100 years. Say hello to Jesse Helms for me.

May 8, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  14. Sharon Minnesota

Florida and Michigan, ahh the states that didn't count in the democratic primary. The state of Florida that got cheated in the last presidential election.

Barack Obama the candidate who lost it for the democrats because he didn't allow their votes to count.

Barack Obama the candidate that didn't want white, Jewish, senior votes to count against him.

Barack Obama a name that will go down in infamy.

May 8, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  15. ferris_b

"Sharon Minnesota" spoken like a true Republican!

May 8, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  16. David, Santa Rosa, CA

We need to unite against John McCain. For those who would vote for him because HRC didn't get the nod... That's just plain silly and childish.

As a HRC supporter I'm very disappointed, but McCain is NOT someone we want as POTUS.

May 8, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  17. Sable

Thank you Rep Miller.. keep them coming SD's

Obama '08

May 8, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  18. Facts

Hillary will not be the nominee in 2008 or 2012 or 2016 or 2020.
    Hillary Clinton is finished as a presidential political force – Plain and simple!

Apparently a person cannot present the reasons for this comment on CNN, so please forgive me if this is a simplistic and terse analysis!

May 8, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  19. Stupid?

I keep reading some stupid comments about not voting for Obama because your candidate lost? What a pack of crying babies! Well, when another soldier dies in Iraq, another in Afghanistan, your home is foreclosed, gas prices go past the roof, the economy collapses finally, America comes under waves and more waves of attacks...you know we would have you to thank for your childishness!

Clinton has used all fair and unfair tactics to win till date, yet she couldn't. Bill+Hillary+Chelse+the Media+ Republicans all have tried so hard to put Obama down without success, that is an outstanding person to be president! Now you whining immature crying babies want to just give POTUS to someone who could hardly manage a campaign for about a year successfully a nation of 300Million + in 4 or 8 years? You must be kidding or outright stupid!!

May 8, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  20. ???

I want to post a comment here but I'm afraid I'll get my head bitten off

May 8, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  21. Young Voter

I wish that people would all calm down. Just realize that in November we can't afford John McCain. Too many of my friends and people of my generation will be put at risk in Iraq and possibly Iran. The rhetoric of voting for the children needs to become fact and we need to put an end to this war, McCain will not do that.

Second, I'm insulted by people saying that the Caucus process is allowing Obama to cheat. I was an Obama Precinct Captain in Iowa and I did not exaggerate any part of my count of voters or try to intimidate people or any of this nonsense.

Suggesting that voting for McCain will be the revenge of Hillary supports makes me want to puke. Your vote is something millions of people have died for in the history of our nation and suggesting that it should be used for something as childish as revenge that will be detrimental to our nation is disgusting.

May 8, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  22. Moving On

Go Obama!

Obama will have to get more and more superdelegates. If superdelegates ignore their constituents, then perhaps it's a case of Skulls and Bones. You know, a case of insider agreements.

May 8, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  23. Bill in Illinois

Hopefully Hillary won't have enough cash to buy any delegates. That is after all, the only way she will win.

Forget Fla and Mich. They knew what the rules were and decided to set their own and they won't make a difference anyhow.

May 8, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  24. Dave W.

To greenfun
    I listened to the interview on CNN with Obama, and he pointed out numerous times and corrected Wolf many times that he ha not won yet. He reminded Wolf that there are 6 contests left and mentioned that Sen. Clinton is a formidable candidate. What were you listening to.

Clinton supporters are going to teach Obama a lesson because Florida and Michigan votes didn't count? When will you get it that the state officoials screwed things for those two states. All of the candidates agreed, including Clinton, at the beginning that they would not count. Clinton did not even mention them until she fell behind.

May 8, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  25. Spectacles

Its up to DNC to seat the MI and Fl delegates and I don't think Clinton should be asking her competitor to bargain with her over how it is done.

Hillary needs to quite acting like the mouthpiece of white people. It is insulting. And she should quite saying that it is the white people who determine the President.

I have been white for 48 years and I am not going to vote for Hillary because she is white.

May 8, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |