May 9th, 2008

Obama picks up two superdelegates, gap narrowed to seven

Obama met with several undecided superdelegates on Capitol Hill Thursday.
Obama met with several undecided superdelegates on Capitol Hill Thursday.

(CNN) - Barack Obama won two more superdelegate endorsements Thursday, narrowing his deficit with Hillary Clinton to seven.

North Carolina Rep. Brad Miller and Washington Rep. Rick Larsen both announced they will cast their superdelegate votes for the Illinois senator.

"The decision was not easy," Miller, a two-term congressman, said in a statement. "Senator Clinton has run an impressive campaign, and has spoken eloquently to the concerns to working and middle class American families. She is one of the great leaders of this generation.

"Senator Obama understands that he has the chance not just to win the election this year, but to be a great president," he added.

Miller's district, which includes Raleigh, overwhelmingly voted for Obama Tuesday, 63 percent to 35 percent.

Larsen, a three-term congressman whose district lies in the northwest area of Washington state, praised Obama as the "best candidate to turn our country's hopes for a better future into reality."

"This week, Senator Obama has proven that he is tough and resilient," he said. "He has shown that he can take a pounding, come back and continue to communicate with the public to deliver his message of hope and change."

Obama easily defeated Clinton in Washington's February 19 caucus, 68 percent to 31 percent.

The two endorsements bring Clinton's advantage over Obama among superdelegates down to seven, according to CNN's estimate; Clinton has the backing of 267 superdelegates, while Obama has 260.

Since Tuesday's primaries, Obama has gained six superdelegates while Clinton has picked up one. But Clinton also lost a superdelegate Wednesday - DNC member Jennifer McClellan switched her support to Obama - for a net gain of zero.

(Updates with Larsen endorsement)

1. OS

There are some Democrats crying foul.

What if Hillary had won all the caucus states, will these people will ever be talking about it?

May 8, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  2. Indiana stopped her

To those HRC supporters who say they will not support Obama, it will not matter. There is and will be so many more voters involved in the general election that it will outweigh those who don't want improvement and progress in our country. Sorry, but you will need to step aside as the rest of the world moves forward.

May 8, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  3. I'm with Dexter

I'm tired of people saying, "If not Hillary – I will vote for McCAIN!!!!"

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!

Gas prices not high enough for you?

Not enough kids getting blown to pieces in Iraq for you?

Not enough conservative judges on the supreme court for you?

The next president will appoint AT LEAST two judges. If McCain is the president, you can say goodbye to Roe v. Wade.

Is that what you want?

VOTE INTELLIGENTLY.

May 8, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  4. OBAMA CANNOT WIN IN NOVEMBER!!!

HILLARY'S PEOPLE WILL NOT VOTE FOR ODRAMA!!!!!!

SO GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

GO HILLARY!!!!!

May 8, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  5. Alameda Chris

I was a staunch Clinton supporter but it is now clear that she cannot win. Time to throw my support behind Obama. Even though he's not my first choice, I think he'll make a fine President. We are lucky enough to be blessed with two good Dem candidates this Primary so we can't go too wrong! Anything's better than more of the same Neocon BS we've been cursed with for the last 8 years. While it's good to support your favorite in a Primary, once it becomes clear your favorite is not THE favorite, it's time support your party as a whole...just like every Primary before this one. United we stand, divided we fall!

May 8, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  6. Teacher in CA

I am ashamed of all of you fellow democrats who proclaim that you will vote for McCain in November if your candidate doesn't get the nomination. How can you call yourself a democrat if you do so? You aren't teaching anyone a lesson doing so. You are going against everything our party stands for. You might as well register republican.

Personally, I detest Hillary. And for as little as I can stand her, you can bet I'll suck it up and vote for her come November if only to keep a republican out of office. You see I can look past my personal distaste for someone in order to unite the party. Why can't you do that?

May 8, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  7. Veronica

Who says Mccain will be a better President than Obama? How do you know? McCain has been in the senate since the U.S. was created and how has he changed anything? That's why were in the mess we are now because of the Republicans and you want to put another one in office? Heck no. . . .he has to go!

May 8, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  8. Good Grief

My vote is for Obama. I'm against Iraq, I'm pro choice, I'm pro Constitution, I'm against torture. There is only one choice on those issues: Obama.

May 8, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  9. Keith from WI

Regardless if you are a Clinton supporter or not....we all have the media to blame forcing Billary on us every since her questionable Senate race in 2000. If she was never married to a president...No one would have ever heard of Billary. She is merely a coat tale politician that had no real experience just a last name that she married. She had questionable practices during her legal days working for a small lawfirm.

Here's the bottom line.....WE ALL have contributed to her campaign whether you wanted to or not. Who do you think pays for every trip that her husband makes on her behalf??? The US Taxpayer...yes.... The Secret Service needs to arrive before the former prez ever gets there so there all that expense that no one is talking about. I know we will never see what the real expense is to the tax payer to support her campaign but it will be well over a million dollars. And the longer she drags this out, she is punishing every single US taxpayer. Even if the government bills her for all this service...do you ever think she will pay for it since all the Clintons think they deserve it.

Also, with every one that is struggling to pay a mortgage....here's is something else to ponder. Billary wants to help you out in some fashion...but.....and here's the kicker...The Clintons bill the US government for the expense to have the US Secret Service at their residence in NY. And its exact amount of their monthly mortgage payment......Who's the elist now???

I can see Billary with not a clue what went wrong and why she can't play in her sandbox again....lol

May 8, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  10. Texas Republicans

I thought I was going to vote for McCain, but now I see the future. OBAMA! A bunch of Ron Paul people are going for Obama. No War in Iraq! No war in Iran! Affordable health insurance!

Ron Paul and Obama have very different philosophy – yet when it comes to policy, there is a remarkable degree of similarity.

May 8, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  11. GoHillary

Maybe hillary should pander to the biased media press and wear some jeans like Obama. Oh wait its obama so thats not pandering.

May 8, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  12. Susan

The people have spoken!! And now superdelegates you are doing the ONLY option, and that is to endorse Barack Obama, the next president of the United States. Please keep coming on board!! And end the drama, vote Obama

May 8, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  13. for the good of the democratic party

I don't know about you, but when I read or hear Hillary Clinton, I get instantly reminded of a rabid dog foaming at the mouth!!

Go home Hillary! You are like the party guest that stays even though everyone else has left and the hosts are starting to yawn. Go home back to New York, or is it Washington DC, or is it Scranton, PENN, or is it Arkansas, or is it park ridge, IL

you are so full of it, you make me stick. stop pandering to poor and uneducated WEST Virginians!

May 8, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  14. Democrats Rule

President Obama is sounding so beautiful to me right now

May 8, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  15. Nathan

Go Obama! Now that that's out of the way, I'm confused...it says he's cut her lead to seven (7) but then the arcticle goes on to say her lead is 267 to his 250...that's 17. Which is it? I've noticed a lot of discrepancies in the Ticker arcticles the past couple of days...come on CNN, I'm with you but you've gotta get with it.

May 8, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  16. Ron Paul or Hillary

that are my only two choices.

May 8, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  17. Helena

CNN please report also the Montana Superdelegate today who also endorsed Obama: Jean Lemire Dahlman, National Democratic Committeewoman. She said "Hillary can't unite us".

May 8, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  18. Roxy

CNN is sooooooo in the tank for Obama....it is disgusting......bye CNN

May 8, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  19. Chunnie2008

TO ALL YOU HILLIBILLY HATERS, GO AHEAD KNOCK YOUR SELVES OUT. GO VOTE FOR MCSANE, THEN WE WILL ALL SUFFER LIKE WE ARE SUFFERING NOW UNDER THE brillant bush. YOU ALL ARE THE BIGGEST IDIOTS THE WORLD HAS EVER KNOWN. GO AHEAD SHOOT YOUR SELVES IN THE BLOODY HEAD, BECAUSE VOTING FOR MCSANE ,YOU WILL WANT TO SHOOT YOUR SELVES IN THE HEAD. IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

President Barack H. Obama 2008 & 2012

May 8, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  20. Dale

I tell all you Clinton supporters one thing...we (AAs) maybe a minority in this country BUT BILLARY WILL NOT WIN without us if these SUPERDELEGATES take the nominee away from OBAMA. And dont you think they (SUPERDEL) know exactly that. They will put him over the top by the time WV is over next week.

OBAMANATION!!!!

May 8, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  21. Emily

I am always amazed how Hillary can have about 50% of the votes yet 90% of the comments on all the CNN forum are against her – something just doesn't add up....It is so sad to see how much media influences voters. Why did you feel the need to spend hours of air time analyzing whether the game is over for Hillary. At least 49% of demacratic voters don't think so. And who cares what the superdelegates think – if they can be bought off by campaign money – I don't really have any respect for their opinion.

May 8, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  22. Indiana stopped her

Why do people insist that Obama has no solutions? He is a leader and a communicator, not an adversarial bully. Me,me ,me, I, I ,I, "I know what's best for the country even though I don't listen to the experts". Sounds a lot like GWB.

May 8, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  23. Joyce in Florida

Here we go again. Everything is always about Obama. Obama this, Obama that. I am sick of hearing about him. He has no plans for our country and is still playing the race card even though he won't actually admit it. Let's face it, Hillary might have stumbled a bit here recently, but she still won in Indiana. There are more primaries ahead and she should fight until the convention if need be. I still support her and I wish you people who want her to drop out now would just quit harping on that already. She will NOT give up as long as she has our support. There are loads of people who want her to be our nominee. She is the best candidate to compete against John McCain. GO HILLARY 08!!!!!!!!!

May 8, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  24. Vincent Voltaire

Something must be wrong with my calculator because it kept coming up with 17:

"The two endorsements bring Clinton's advantage over Obama among superdelegates down to seven, according to CNN's estimate; Clinton has the backing of 267 superdelegates, while Obama has 250."

May 8, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  25. Brenda H. Jenkins

I am sick and tired of Hillary Clinton insinuating that Barak Obama can not win the Presidential Election in November. She insists that he can not get the votes of white senior citizens, white blue collar workers, rural whites, and whites who simply refuse to vote for him. I can say that Barack Obama has worked dilligently to gain support of those demographics by going to factories and plants, rural communities, small dinners, etc., to try and gain the support and respect of these voters. Hillary Clinton, on the other hand, has never made an effort to regain the support of black voters. Rather than try to explain comments made by her husband and herself and apologize for them, she has been indignant and defensive. Yet, she calls Barack Obama elitist and out of touch, when in fact, she is the most elite of them all. Will someone please inform Mrs. Clinton that the United States will survive and be just fine without her.

May 8, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |