May 9th, 2008

Obama picks up two superdelegates, gap narrowed to seven

Obama met with several undecided superdelegates on Capitol Hill Thursday.
Obama met with several undecided superdelegates on Capitol Hill Thursday.

(CNN) - Barack Obama won two more superdelegate endorsements Thursday, narrowing his deficit with Hillary Clinton to seven.

North Carolina Rep. Brad Miller and Washington Rep. Rick Larsen both announced they will cast their superdelegate votes for the Illinois senator.

"The decision was not easy," Miller, a two-term congressman, said in a statement. "Senator Clinton has run an impressive campaign, and has spoken eloquently to the concerns to working and middle class American families. She is one of the great leaders of this generation.

"Senator Obama understands that he has the chance not just to win the election this year, but to be a great president," he added.

Miller's district, which includes Raleigh, overwhelmingly voted for Obama Tuesday, 63 percent to 35 percent.

Larsen, a three-term congressman whose district lies in the northwest area of Washington state, praised Obama as the "best candidate to turn our country's hopes for a better future into reality."

"This week, Senator Obama has proven that he is tough and resilient," he said. "He has shown that he can take a pounding, come back and continue to communicate with the public to deliver his message of hope and change."

Obama easily defeated Clinton in Washington's February 19 caucus, 68 percent to 31 percent.

The two endorsements bring Clinton's advantage over Obama among superdelegates down to seven, according to CNN's estimate; Clinton has the backing of 267 superdelegates, while Obama has 260.

Since Tuesday's primaries, Obama has gained six superdelegates while Clinton has picked up one. But Clinton also lost a superdelegate Wednesday - DNC member Jennifer McClellan switched her support to Obama - for a net gain of zero.

(Updates with Larsen endorsement)

1. Janice

There's no way I will be able to vote for Obama. I just don't trust the guy.

McCain is a good moderate candidate to vote for, he will have my vote in November.

May 8, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  2. JM Sharp

Check your numbers - you say the spread is 7, so either Obama has 260 and she has 267, or he has 250 and she has 257.

May 8, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  3. HopeThrives

I loved Time magazine....AND THE WINNER IS........

OBAMA/CASEY08

May 8, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  4. Priscilla for Obama

Go Obama – we are for you!!!

Yes We Can!!!

May 8, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  5. Laura

Jody this democratic baby boomer will vote for John McCain, and I do have a life thank-you very much.

May 8, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  6. Dave Acheson

I have only 1 problem with this article: the math. Doesn't 267 minus 250 equal sevenTEEN? Was one of those totals given incorrectly?

May 8, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  7. garrett

You need to check your math. The article says "Obama picks up two superdelegates, narrows gap to seven." The two endorsements bring Clinton's advantage over Obama among superdelegates down to seven, according to CNN's estimate; Clinton has the backing of 267 superdelegates, while Obama has 250.

In my book 267 minus 250 equals 17.

May 8, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  8. Waqar Qureshi

The article mentions that Senator Clinton's lead is down to "7" in the superdelegate race. Where that may be true, the superdelegate number shown in this article shows Senator Clinton at 267 and Senator Obama at 250 – Making the difference "17" and not "7."

May 8, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  9. Dick in Sioux Falls

What happened to my comment? -supporting Clinton in her decision to stay in the race, at least until she can gracefully exit, without the appearance of being forced out except by the inescapable law of mathematics, thus being able to help reunify the Party

May 8, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  10. Nick

I saw Wolf interview Obama today. I must say there was no Wolf today, it was more of sheep. He seemed so much in awe of Obama that he forgot to ask any tough questions.

May 8, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  11. No Obama For Preident!

He still will not win in November!

May 8, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  12. TC in Ohio

Go Obama! We love!

May 8, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  13. sharon

Go ahead superdelgates make Hilliary's supporters angry, if you can wait for the primaries to end. Then you are the ones that will cause her supporters to vote for McCain or not to vote at all. Hilliary women for Mccain will unite.

May 8, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  14. Mama4Obama

People, People, People..Some of you are acting like children having temper tantrums, i'ma vote for McBush if Hillary doesn't win..Wha? Give me a break. Stop being haters. I'ma Democrat. I want Obama in but if Hillary is in, she has my vote!! I'ma DEMOCRAT!! Dang crazy folks, they stand for 99% of the same thing...Why in the hell would you vote someone that differs and doesn't mind 100 years of war.....Yall gotta stop playin' and unite our party to defeat McBush in November. This is ridiculous!

May 8, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  15. frank

Dear Obama Supporters,

I am a huge Obama supporter and its about time we follow the example of our candidate and work on bringing all democrats to the fold. So NO more taunting and insulting of the Hillary supporters. Stand and help you man win.

Dear HIllary Supporters,

On behalf of all Obama supporters we apologise if we have offended you. Its time to get over on petty difference and do whats best for the country and back our Democratic candidate. I cannot stand to see one more freind lose and job, and house and have no insurance for a sick kid and see one of my freinds kids come home in a body bad from Iraq.

Lets all step up and unite and complete this task.

May 8, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  16. latif

the writing is on the wall.....the presidency has been projected befor the election started i can see the future...

May 8, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  17. Deana, NY

I'm so happy, but we still have a tough fight ahead of us. This will be a bitter campaign, but it is so worth it.

Obama 08

May 8, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  18. Xango

Yes we Can

yes yes

Obama 08

May 8, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  19. Dwayne

I'm starting to question the neutrality of Campbell Brown. Why can't she just report the news, and deal with the facts. Her views as a moderator are somewhat questionable. She provokes debates that are not even there for the oanel to discuss. What's going on CNN?

May 8, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  20. sharon

Once in a lifetime for what????? To bring Wright into the White House.

May 8, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  21. Darius J. *Texas

Go Obama 08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only three weeks to go!!!!!!

Keep them coming obama, only down 7!

May 8, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  22. Darius J. *Texas

Go obama

May 8, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  23. MD Democrat

Very disappointed with the democratic party. I am ready to go Independent

May 8, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  24. FACINGREALITY

IMHO – Those who are continually spouting that they will vote for McCain if Hllary is not the candidate are really Republicans who are trying to cause havoc like pill popping, should be in jail for writing illegal prescriptions Rush Lumbaugh. There is not a rational Democrat would could possibly believe that McCain will serve their best interest in the White House, with 2 Supreme Court Justices awaiting appointment, a continuation of the tax cuts for the rich, waterboarding, not wanting to talk to our enemies, gas at 4.00 dollars a gallon, milk at 4.00 a gallon, 2 dollars for eggs – COME ON!

I trust in America and I am a DEMOCRAT and even though I don't like Hillary – loved Bill – I would take a grandchild to the voting booth and let her push the button but I would NEVER give Bush a third term. That type of mentality is the reason we are in Iraq and allowed the GREENEST PRESIDENT to slip through our hands when we let lying Bush in for a second term. I vote for the best interest of my family and Obama is getting the support of the Party which says alot about their belief that he is the YES WE CAN President.

It is time for WE THE PEOPLE TO COUNT and WE WANT OUR HOUSE BACK!

May 8, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  25. Brian

To Hillary supporters:

Popular vote count:
    Obama = 16,260,355
    Clinton = 15,439,769

Will you not honor the votes of Americans?????

May 8, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |