May 9th, 2008

Obama picks up two superdelegates, gap narrowed to seven

Obama met with several undecided superdelegates on Capitol Hill Thursday.
Obama met with several undecided superdelegates on Capitol Hill Thursday.

(CNN) - Barack Obama won two more superdelegate endorsements Thursday, narrowing his deficit with Hillary Clinton to seven.

North Carolina Rep. Brad Miller and Washington Rep. Rick Larsen both announced they will cast their superdelegate votes for the Illinois senator.

"The decision was not easy," Miller, a two-term congressman, said in a statement. "Senator Clinton has run an impressive campaign, and has spoken eloquently to the concerns to working and middle class American families. She is one of the great leaders of this generation.

"Senator Obama understands that he has the chance not just to win the election this year, but to be a great president," he added.

Miller's district, which includes Raleigh, overwhelmingly voted for Obama Tuesday, 63 percent to 35 percent.

Larsen, a three-term congressman whose district lies in the northwest area of Washington state, praised Obama as the "best candidate to turn our country's hopes for a better future into reality."

"This week, Senator Obama has proven that he is tough and resilient," he said. "He has shown that he can take a pounding, come back and continue to communicate with the public to deliver his message of hope and change."

Obama easily defeated Clinton in Washington's February 19 caucus, 68 percent to 31 percent.

The two endorsements bring Clinton's advantage over Obama among superdelegates down to seven, according to CNN's estimate; Clinton has the backing of 267 superdelegates, while Obama has 260.

Since Tuesday's primaries, Obama has gained six superdelegates while Clinton has picked up one. But Clinton also lost a superdelegate Wednesday - DNC member Jennifer McClellan switched her support to Obama - for a net gain of zero.

(Updates with Larsen endorsement)

1. Al, CA

I had unsigned from any emails from Barbara Boxer, CA senator, and will not sign anything for her anymore.
    Boxer, as superdelegate, supported Hillary – a candidate that is guilty in launching Iraq war. That does it. A senator that had signed 'yes' at that time, like Hillary did, should not run ever for an office.

Obama 2008

May 8, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  2. Phil from Boston, MA

Biff, Biffington – if it's any consolation, I'd be very interested to read your post explaining why blacks vote in a united fashion.

Not that I agree with the premise, since I think it's racist to vote for someone based on the color of their skin, as opposed to trying to understand the issues and debates.

But I'd be curious to see your take on it. Hopefully, some day, Race won't be a factor that contributes to how somebody votes.

May 8, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  3. Tim

Thank you Rep. Brad Miller. We welcome your endorsement. The Superdelegate lead is now down to 8!!!!

Obama 08

May 8, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  4. Ed

Yes Sir. Thanks for all superdeligates who believe in Obama and Democratic Party. This country has to go in different direction and Obama will do that. Clintons have lost and this is the legacy of Bill, very disrespective person. Clintons inject so much hate politics and the results we see now. The superdeligates have to join Obama as soon as possible to show solidarity and strength. I argue all leaders of the party to do so and work hard to take back the promising hope of this world.

May 8, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  5. Louis

Roger,

"About 60-75% of Americans will vote for McCain in November."

I take you don't read much?

May 8, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  6. Steve

He's the man with the plan!

You go Mr. President!!

May 8, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  7. Undecide

I don't know why Michigan and Florida didn't count. The goverment used our tax money to set up the vote. We spent our time to go to vote. Now they want to waste it. If there was violated the law, it should be stoped before its happened. Beside, why did Senate. Obama withdraw his name on the list when those states are key states to win in GE? and there would be unfair to Senate Hillary when she put her time and money to these states for nothing. doesn't the Democrat party care and want Florida and Michigan's voters?

May 8, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  8. Sue

Way to go!!! Oh yeah....Senator Clinton got a few herself!!!

May 8, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  9. Alfredo

Hillary won consecutively Ohio, Texas, Pennsylvannia and now Indiana. Obama is expected to win both Indiana and North Carolina since February. But, Hillary won Indiana and cut Obama's lead in North Carolina from 20% in February down to 14% in spite of ad overspending by Obama.

Wake up superdelegates!

Obama's top ten lists should be:
    1. I won North Carolina. Oops, Hillary won Indiana even I overspent in ads (which I should have won), Pennsylvannia, Texas, and Ohio consecutively. I can fool the superdelegates anyway.
    2. Wright told America I'm just a Politician. Oops...that is true.
    3. I'm so eloquent...oops my writer wrote it.
    4. This is my economic plan...oops I forgot to ask my advisers first and I'm waiting for Hillary's lead. I don’t want to be a Flip Flop on issues again.
    5. Let's stick to the actual issue..oops, Michelle and Caroline should say that at CNN..
    6. Come on Hillary's defectors and join me...oops do you think you can fool me I will defect also after I win and resurrect my loyal friends Wright, Rezco, and Ayers
    7. Bitter and clinging – oops those are not in my dictionary, oops I got it from Wright. Wher are my advisers? I do not know what to say.
    8. Yeah, Wright mocked the Americans and I will lie by saying what he said is offensive….remember I'm a politician.
    9. I'm electable…oops Hillary won the big states and has more electoral college votes to date that are crucial in November. Anyway, I fooled the superdelegates including the traitors.
    10. Vote for Hillary...oops vote for me.

Before you can have CHANGE, we first need SOLUTIONS and that is HILLARY.
    Michelle even brought Caroline with her. You can not fool us anymore. You are just all Politicians. Obama, Wright, Rezco and Ayers are all a disgrace to all American. After bitter remarks by Obama and Wrights mocking the American, then let's just forget about it. Yeah right. If this happened with Hillary for sure you are all jumping for joy. You can not fool us anymore and stop the lies...lies...lies...

Shame on those superdelegates that support Obama. They only think of their personal interest. If Obama wins, it will only be a repeat of Bush administration (a trainee who doesn't know what to do until he asks his advisers first). Wake up superdelegates!

Hillary won the big states and has more electoral college votes to date than Obama that are crucial in November. Wake up superdelegates.

May 8, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  10. BurgundyandGold

Hey Go Ahead
    Unless you are a complete idiot you will realize that Michigan and Florida were not disenfranchised by Obama or the DNC. They were screwed out of their vote by the moronic Gov. Granholm and the dullard Gov Christ. If the residents of Fl and Mich had any sense they would not reelect any of those scumbags who decided that they would ignore the rules and put the votes of the people at risk.

May 8, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  11. Typical Sexist

What Rep. Miller meant to say was "Senator Clinton" understands that she has the chance not just to win the election this year, but to be a great president." Obama lacks the experience to understand anything. He changed nothing in Illinois and will change nothing as a President, should he become one. Woman should take note that when all these men dismiss what Hillary can and would do, when they write her off as just some woman, they are sending a clear message to all woman that you should be barefoot and pregnant; that women should always be two steps behind a man; and that women should never be ambitious or want to accomplish anything; that women should be happy serving their man. Women need to speak out against this kind of sexism. It unbelievable that women do not want to see a woman as President? What do you tell your daughters when they ask if they can be anything they want?

May 8, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  12. Robert

Birds of a feather flock together....Which has a better ring to it:

President Clinton
    or
    President Obama

Something sounds irregular??????

May 8, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  13. Allen In North Carolina

Go ahead- it's not Nov yet May 8th, 2008 4:41 pm ET

What I want to know is,.... What planet are you from?.... I also have noticed that most, Not all clinton supporters. Are going to vote out of hatered, When you All make that mistake, voting for bushlite, voting for nothing but spite. Voting agianst your own party because the person you support does'nt win. Something is basicaly wrong with that.... And I really don't want a leader that attacts this type metality....

May 8, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  14. vicky ballantine

So many super-delegates have been backstabbers.
    Clinton still has more than Obama.
    All America needs their votes counted.
    Let the process continue.
    (just maybe Obama's team want a quick close before something else negative comes out about the media darling)
    Obamas song: "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way".
    Nobody has worked harder for the democratic party, over the years, than the Clintons. Whether Mrs. C wins the primary or not, she will work her bu** off for the Democratic Party and Mr. O.
    BTW...don't forget how hard the Clintons have worked for equal rights for everyone.
    GO DEMOCRATS

May 8, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  15. Debbie

Do I detect a 'BITTER" note in HC supporters!

That's hilarous considering the smear campaign your "leader" ran on Obama and none of it worked because Obama supporters have a brain and can reason, and not be lead by meaningless "headlines"!

May 8, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  16. makad

Emily Coletta – Do the math. 267-259=8
    Obama is now 8 SUPERDELEGATES behind.
    You got so caught up in the Clinton gas tax relief (oops what gas tax relief, she's still campaigning and can't even implement it) that you lost count. But don't believe me, believe 200 economist.

Come over to Obama, we'll help you.

May 8, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  17. Desmond Sequeira

An objective view from Canada: Way to go, Rep. Brad Miller. Now ALL Superdelegates need to be enlightened and declare for OBAMA.

This is not rocket science, either mathematically or using the criteria of Integrity, Grasp of issues, Competence, Magnanimity, Ability to unify and lead, etc. In short, using any criteria for a successful President.
    The USA needs OBAMA. The world needs OBAMA

May 8, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  18. John - MD

Richard Bell – Winston-Salem, NC. May 8th, 2008 4:59 pm ET

I think its time for Hillary supporters to switch over to vote for McCain. It's time we destroy Obama in NOvember for our revenge.

Richard Bell – lighten up....It is an internal contest and once we have a nominee we need to all back whoever as a democratic party. Please mature up a little.

May 8, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  19. anju

You are right, we WILL teach the DNC and obamalovers in Nov. I have been voting for the DNC since I could vote, but not this time. I know that a lot of people will do the the same.

Hillary is here to stay because many lifelong democrats do not like election fixing that has influenced this primary.

We will NOT vote for Obama- for no reason but to protest the corruption of this primary: Advantages for one, obstacles for the other. Media bias. Flawed caucus format. Obama supporters using bully tactics at caucus. Obama with his gloating, cocky, arrogant mocking of Hillary with his Annie Oakley antics (while claiming he does not go negative). Obama with his ridiculing of Hillary by dismissively brushing her off his shoulder ( again, not negative? is this the uniter?). And, of course the Fl and Mi fiasco. It is never good or right to disenfranchise your voter base.

So We WILL teach the DNC a lesson with our vote in Nov.

It is that simple.

May 8, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  20. EC

THANK YOU Rep. Miller.

American needs CHANGE, we WANT change and CHANGE is coming!

OBAMA '08

May 8, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  21. Dani

Too bad Obama can't win the general election. Oh well, at least he can enjoy the moment leading up to it.

May 8, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  22. Mr. B.

America Is Ready
    Obama 08

May 8, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  23. greenfun

Obama's attitude that he is already the nominee is very dismissive to the other half of the Democratic party that voted for Senator Clinton. I guess he doesn't think he needs the votes of Clinton supporters. He has also blocked a re-vote in Fl. I guess he doesn't need the voters in FL either. We are pretty tired of Obama's efforts to end this primary prematurely. I think it is very shortsighted of Obama and superdelegates to not respect Senator Clinton and her extremely loyal supporters. They will need us if they expect to have a Democrat in the White house. We have already endured relentless media bias and vile behavior from Obama supporters. Most of are not in the mood to support Obama, so perhaps the Democratic party had better start thinking about how to start including the entire Democratic party.

May 8, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  24. Pasteur Yves Jean Louis

Barack Obama has shown far more vision than Hillary Clinton. As a Frenchman who lived in Ohio for 8 years, I can tell you that you are lucky to have a man of that value to be your next President for your great country. Please get united to make him one of the best of the US President in History. He will do a great job for you, I believe, But it's you who vote. Hillary should stop talking about racial votes. You are all americans and it is your strength as it has always been ever since United Sates of America existed.

May 8, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  25. Former Democrat

Mr. Obama will never win in November. All of his cult followers are helping push many many Democrats to the other side. You are not doing your candidate a favor with all of your rude dillusional comments. Most of you just need to go back to your dorm and try and figure out how to buy your next six pack while the rest of us try and figure a way to get Mr. Obama back to Chicago for good.

May 8, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |