May 9th, 2008

Obama picks up two superdelegates, gap narrowed to seven

Obama met with several undecided superdelegates on Capitol Hill Thursday.
Obama met with several undecided superdelegates on Capitol Hill Thursday.

(CNN) - Barack Obama won two more superdelegate endorsements Thursday, narrowing his deficit with Hillary Clinton to seven.

North Carolina Rep. Brad Miller and Washington Rep. Rick Larsen both announced they will cast their superdelegate votes for the Illinois senator.

"The decision was not easy," Miller, a two-term congressman, said in a statement. "Senator Clinton has run an impressive campaign, and has spoken eloquently to the concerns to working and middle class American families. She is one of the great leaders of this generation.

"Senator Obama understands that he has the chance not just to win the election this year, but to be a great president," he added.

Miller's district, which includes Raleigh, overwhelmingly voted for Obama Tuesday, 63 percent to 35 percent.

Larsen, a three-term congressman whose district lies in the northwest area of Washington state, praised Obama as the "best candidate to turn our country's hopes for a better future into reality."

"This week, Senator Obama has proven that he is tough and resilient," he said. "He has shown that he can take a pounding, come back and continue to communicate with the public to deliver his message of hope and change."

Obama easily defeated Clinton in Washington's February 19 caucus, 68 percent to 31 percent.

The two endorsements bring Clinton's advantage over Obama among superdelegates down to seven, according to CNN's estimate; Clinton has the backing of 267 superdelegates, while Obama has 260.

Since Tuesday's primaries, Obama has gained six superdelegates while Clinton has picked up one. But Clinton also lost a superdelegate Wednesday - DNC member Jennifer McClellan switched her support to Obama - for a net gain of zero.

(Updates with Larsen endorsement)

1. Sharon Minnesota

Adrian, where do I sign up for the pledge to get out of the failed democratic party and to not vote for Obama in November?

I'm going to the DNC website right now to change my affiliation. This is after a lifetime of being a democrat and voting democrat for the last 30 years. Pelosi and the DNC elite have deluded themselves in thinking that voters will abandon them.

DON'T BE INTIMIDATED BY THE DNC ELITE OBAMA SUPPORTERS. DUMP THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY NOW!!

May 8, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  2. Chris NL

"mari May 8th, 2008 5:17 pm ET

There is no way i am voting for Obama. I am Hillary suporter all the way. I am loyal to the Clintom

I am voitng Mccain"

if you are really loyal to clinton, you will vote for obama if he wins, because even clinton would want you to do that.

May 8, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  3. Mk

Sad to see so many Clinton backers saying they will vote for McCain. Clinton won't vote for McCain, any self respecting Democrat won't vote for Mcain. What is it with you guys?
    You LIKE the country this way? Why on earth did you ever support ANY Democrat to begin with? I seriously hope you would not sacrifice the future of this county because you didn't get your way. That would be pretty selfish and SO VERY UNFAIR to those that will have to clean up the mess if another Republican gets elected.

May 8, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  4. Liv

It's time for the real Democrats to unify.
    Wake up, the mccain danger in coming.

May 8, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  5. Linda, Boston

We will NOT vote for Obama- for no reason but to protest the corruption of this primary:
    ....
    So We WILL teach the DNC a lesson with our vote in Nov.

I'm sure the 500+ US soldier to DIE fighting for you will appreciate the fact that you used their LIVES as a way to express your discontent.

People who think like you are disgusting. There are LIVES at stake here, your vote should not be used as a tool for revenge.

May 8, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  6. Step down now Hillary

Great...
    After today's racial comment by Hillary, I expect more super delegates to come up and end this race

May 8, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  7. Comedy Central

We all see the inevitable that Obama will be the Democratic candidate. He'll fair somewhere between McGovern and Mondale in the general. Sad that even after 8 years of GWB, we Dems wil still be unable to get one of our own in the White House.

As a lifelong Democrat I just cannot with a clear conscious vote for him and I do not want McCain. We do have an option though. Democrats who feel the way I do, have the right to a write-in ballot. We could make real history...first women president voted in via the write-in ballot.

May 8, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  8. Noah

Obama may very well win the primary, but he will have issues in Novemeber..

Obama may be more popular, a better speaker, and its obvious he has a fan base..But he is weak on issues.

Democrats need to take back the White House. Hillary Clinton is the best person to run against John McCain.

This has nothing to do with race or religion, and those critizing Clinton for her comments about White Americans are taking her words out of context.

This race is not over. Obama will not reach the 2025 needed. Hillary will not either. They have to address Florida and Michigan and then let all the states and territories vote. This is a democracy. Hillary Clinton still has a chance, and should not be counted out.

If democrats want the White House back, they need to go with experiance and a fighter.

Good luck Senator Clinton, you are one of America's greatest leaders.

May 8, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  9. FactCheck

> Let's pray that Obama gets the nomination, and then pray even harder
    > that he loses the national election. He is NOT qualified to be
    > President of the United States–doesn't even understand the common
    > men and women of this country.

Yah, and Grandpa McCain and his billionaire wife are just r'glar folks are you and me, right? No wonder that India and China will soon own the US.

May 8, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  10. Matt

Hillary should not negotiate with Obama in any shape or form. McCain 2008-Hillary 2012

May 8, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  11. TW Stone

THIS IS MY EMAIL TO THE DNC!

Dear DNC: I am a Floridian registered as a Democrat. I am college educated, MFA University of Miami, and a former Merchant Marine Officer. Than you allow the Republicans in Florida to cause all democratic votes not to count is one strike against the DNC. If Ms. Clinton, who seems able enough and has won in the Electoral College states – far better that Mr. Obama. If you shut the process down prior to the convention, and disallow Sen. Clinton her right to have a floor fight for the nomination, then I will certainly vote for McCain! As it stands in any rational mind, the order of preference is Sen. Clinton, then Sen. McCain, and the far third unknown Sen. Obama! I just thought you would like to know in advance.
    TW Stone! South Beach FL

May 8, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  12. Umpire

Well, McCain has already made a public promise to appoint more justices like Scalia to the US Supreme Court. Kiss Roe v. Wade and what remain of civil liberties good-bye if he's elected. There's really more at stake here than Clinton vs. Obama and I hope Americans will remember that!

May 8, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  13. kkelly

Sen. Edwards, Obama won your State BIG time! Where's his endosement??

May 8, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  14. bob

Obama for President............
    I think he would make a great one reaching out to the world and in a long time sitting down wiht people and having a chat!!

May 8, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  15. Tucson, AZ

GREENFUN

"Obama's attitude that he is already the nominee is very dismissive to the other half of the Democratic party that voted for Senator Clinton"

First off, if you actually listened to man you would know that today he dismissed ALL statements by pundits that he is already the nominee. Secondly, he has worked tirelessly in an effort to reach out to her base of blue collar workers! While, Hillary nor Bill are not making ANY effort to reach out to African Americans.

Your bias is making you ignorant, that is exactly what Hillary wants.

May 8, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  16. Jay

Go away Obama, go far away!!! You will never win over Clinton's supporters.

May 8, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  17. Pamela

May 8th, 2008 4:42 pm ET

I'm sick of seeing people say, "If not Hillary – I will vote for McCAIN!!!!"

What's wrong with you people?

Gas prices not high enough for you?

Not enough kids getting blown to pieces in Iraq for you?

Not enough conservative judges on the supreme court for you?

You know, the next president will appoint at least two judges. If McCain is the president, you can say goodbye to Roe v. Wade.

Is that what you want?

Stop being stupid, all of you.

May 8, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  18. ferris_b

It is a shame that people take their civil responsibility so lightly. People need to get involved and get activated to correct perceived wrongs. Work to get your candidate elected. If they don't get elected then work harder next time to get them elected. I know I didn't work as hard as I could have to get my candidate elected, so next time I will work harder for the one I believe will do the best job as President/ Presidentress (coined by Europe during Mrs. Wilsons Presidency)...

Do we have the right to vote? Yes, but we also have the responsibility to vote. So while some on this list have so flagrantly decided not to vote they abandon their responsibilities as a citizen of the United States of America. I do not believe that we have the right NOT to vote.

If you do not want Barack or McCain... fine. Write in your own candidate, that's exactly what I would do if the candidate i wanted wasn't on the ticket. It would have the same effect but you wouldn't be leaving your responsibility to vote unfulfilled.

Get your candidate to run as a third party candidate if they are not nominated. Just stop complaining and saying you won't vote. The poor, women and people of color should NEVER say they won't vote as it took WAY too much blood, sweat and tears from our ancestors to ALLOW them to vote. So if you are one of the poor, female, or person of color, then it is even more important that you vote. It is the ONLY way the poor's voice will be heard as most other civil engagement avenues are locked.

I changed over from being a republican just this last year because the Bush administration is hypocritical in nature. Bush and Chenney have committed such heinous crimes against humanity.

I was very conservative but it doesn't make any sense to be conservative and run upon 'family values" as they have violated all values by killing the young both here and abroad.

McCain divorced his first wife when she was sick (cancer) so he could marry his current trophy. Where is the moral fortitude in that?

May 8, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  19. Rich

"Hillary won consecutively Ohio, Texas, Pennsylvannia and now Indiana. Obama is expected to win both Indiana and North Carolina since February. But, Hillary won Indiana and cut Obama's lead in North Carolina from 20% in February down to 14% in spite of ad overspending by Obama."

Alfredo, please check your facts. Obama won Wyoming and Mississippi between Ohio and Pennsylvania. Also, calling Texas a win for Hillary is a bit questionable considering she lost the Caucus portion and Obama came out with more delegates over-all. At least don't include this in her string of "consecutive wins."

May 8, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  20. Sharon Minnesota

I'm going to the DNC website right now to change my PARTY affiliation. This is after a lifetime of being a democrat and voting democrat for the last 30 years. Pelosi and the DNC elite have deluded themselves in thinking that voters will NOT abandon them.

DON'T BE INTIMIDATED BY THE DNC ELITE AND THE OBAMA SUPPORTERS.

DUMP THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY NOW!!

May 8, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  21. tj

I know that my messaged will not be posted. (moderators work fine leaving 90% of Obama's support).
    I am not blue-collar white, I am just white, high-professional.
    And I will not vote for Obama in general.
    Not only because I don't like him and consider him weak, untrustworthy, inecperienced person but also because I wan to show my protest agains horribly biased, proObama's media & DNC and also because don't want to be in company with Obamanians haters who floweded CNN comment blogs.
    It's time for moderate prodemocratic minded people break with ultra left wing DNC and create new Democratic Conservative Party !

May 8, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  22. MD

The Clintons were BAD for America's image when Bill was in the White House. The Clintons are even WORSE for America now that their wealth is at $109 million, and more corruption has set in.

For someone with that much money calling Obama an elitist, you know you are looking at a "political animal."

I have promised a huge party to my family and friends on the day Hillary takes her hands off of the nations collective throat and sails into sunset.

May 8, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  23. FactCheck

> There is no way I would vote for him nor throw my support his way.

Fine. You can kiss you right to choose goodbye. And have fun explaining to your kids why they are being sent to Iraq ... as long as you get the last laugh, it's all justified.

May 8, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  24. YES WE CAN

God Bless Rep. Miller. Barack Obama is going to be one of our greatest President's. Hillary talks about experience. But what does she really have. Being 1st Lady shouldn' t count. J F. Kennedy was young and didn't have experience. It is so sad that Hillary keeps bringing up race. I'm a 60 year old Republican w/women voting for Barack Obama and proud of it. Yes We Can if we are United.

May 8, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  25. karen from va

How wonderful! I expect he will get or two delegates every day from here on out. Hillary will keep on but will get less and less attention from the press. She likes running and if she's willing to keep spending her money, she can just go ahead. But she is losing the respect and admiration of her peers and constituents, and she is jeopardizing her ability to continue to be a force in Democratic poliics.

May 8, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |