May 9th, 2008

Obama targets McCain, limits mentions of Clinton

Barack Obama targeted McCain Friday.
Barack Obama targeted McCain Friday.

BEAVERTON, Oregon (CNN) – What just a week ago was a joint attack on Hillary Clinton and John McCain over the proposed gas tax holiday is now just an attack on McCain - in fact, nowhere in his opening words did Barack Obama utter the word "Clinton."

"McCain," on the other hand, was tossed out nine times in the prepared comments.

The Illinois senator called the presumptive Republican nominee "dead wrong" when it comes to comments he made about the economy under the Bush administration, and he even took a swipe at McCain's healthcare plan - an issue that has not traditionally been used as a means to contrast himself from the Arizona senator.

"John McCain wants to continue a George Bush approach that only takes care of the healthy and the wealthy," Obama said.

During a question-and-answer session, however, Obama was asked what he thought about the idea of picking Clinton as his running mate. The White House hopeful repeated his standard response: that he has "not won this nomination yet" and that the two Democrats are still "actively running."

"She is very smart, and so I think she would be on anyone's…short list of vice presidential candidates," Obama said. "But beyond that I don't want to offer an opinion."

1. John

You know what, i can't stand the unfair treatments against Hillary. Obama can get the nomination the dirty way he wants with the help of the press. However, everyone from my family and I will not vote for him in the general election. We will instead vote republician. I believe many hillary supporters would do the same. I really want to see how Obama can win when half of Hillary's support vote republician. I guess at the end, justice will serve.

May 9, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  2. Bill, Covington

AZM: "Ah...democrat mud slinging begins..." As I recall those disgusting creeps have been slinging stuff since day one of the campaign season.

In all the stuff they have slung over the past year is the thing about
    "PRESIDENT BARAK HUSSENE OBAMA' Hahahahahaha. LMSO!
    I along with so many others will vote caucasian male. We do not fear the possibility of backlash.

May 9, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  3. KY Democrat

The Democratic Party is so concerned with losing the Black vote that they are ignoring my vote and that of other white voters who are not swayed by the smooth talker.

The KY primary is later this month and yet everyone says Obama has won. So that means my vote does not count.

Obama will not get my vote because he is inexperienced, hypocritical, and is so persuasive that people do not see his negativity.

So I'm voting for Clinton in the primary. In November I will not be voting for Obama just to unite the Democratic Party. It seems my political party does not care about me and my demographic profile.

May 9, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  4. too late for nice

I support Obama a full zero %

May 9, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  5. HillaryorMcCain

I just learned our new voting machines in Florida will have a "Write In Presidential Candidate Option". That is exactly what we were hoping for.

HILLARY OR MCCAIN in 08!
    HILLARY OR MCCAIN in 08!
    HILLARY OR MCCAIN in 08!

May 9, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  6. Ann Kansas

I haven't heard any "real" policies yet from anyone. What I do know is that we are in a big mess in this country and it's going to take a big person to get us out. Is that you, Mr. Obama?

May 9, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  7. Charlotte

Must be Cafferty picking the posts. If you ain't pro-Obama your toast..

May 9, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  8. eager beaver

Just eager to see the fall out from the Obama war of hate and division. Have to wait until Nov.
    Darn.

May 9, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  9. Charlotte

This should prove interesting..We can get the republicans to ask what the media are reluctant to ask. Michelles' thesis? The land deal with Rezko? His voting record or lack thereof as a US Senator? His fathers real job in Kenya? Was he born because of Selma? How could Kennedy have brought his father to the US? What is the real theology of the church he attended for 20 years..How much drug use is he refering to in his book? Where is his typical white grandmother? What are his dreams for his fattherland, Africa? Will he push for reparations for Slavery? If Obama is the nominee, write in Hillary Clinton in November…

May 9, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  10. Johnny Moon

It's time for all Democrats, Independents, & Thinking Republicans to unite together to elect Barack Obama president in 2008!

May 9, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  11. Ann Kansas

May 9, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  12. Had Enough In Florida

Obama is a "socialist" not a Democrat- but thats what the so-called Democratic Party has become- Socialist- go to Cuba if you want to be President. How about the Soviet Union looks liek they are gearing up again perfect fit for Obama.

May 9, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  13. Rene D, Bel Air, MD

As much as I think Hillary would have made a truly great President at a truly critical time, I am ready to get behind Obama. Not sure how best to bring her doggedness, sense of the big picture, and experience to the Democrats' table. That will be needed to fend off that swift-boating other party.

May 9, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  14. Allen deLuca - Florida

Obama or whatever your name is, go home. We don't need more government controls which is what you are planning, you and your far left liberal thinking. We need LESS government control in the USA, but you probably don't understand that because you are not a true American.

May 9, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  15. ANNIA

All one can see and hear is that Obama talking about change, but one never sees him say "how"!!!

May 9, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  16. Mother with only one Son

Go Obama...Go Obama...Go Obama!!!!!!!

That's right Mr. President handle our affairs.

May 9, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  17. San Fran Loves OBAMA!

Please do not pick Hillary for VP – it will contradict everything you and us Obama people stand for. She has shown herself to be a negative candidate who will say and do anything to get votes..... like her useless gas policy plot to win votes. DID NOT WORK! She barely squeezed a win in Indiana.

Hillary, like her supporters here, need a dose of reality-testing – she has lost now get over it. All of you and Lanny Davis can have your pity party, but the rest of us need to unite after our nominee.

Congrats Obama – the best person has won the nomination and he will become our president!

May 9, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  18. Gary of El Centro, Ca

Hillary is toast......time to start laying the wood to McCain. He's been flying under the radar and it's time to shine a light on him.

May 9, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  19. sherrie50

He should not mention her name as he mentioned it in every sentence while in Indiana and NC, and she did not mention his name 1 time during the campaigning in those states. I have always been suspicious about "choir boys" who throw the brick and hides his hands, and someone else(HC) is blamed for negative campaign. Will write in HC in Nov. My conscience want allow me to vote for Obama. I am a black female who expects substance from an elected official.

May 9, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  20. lily

I cant stand the arrogance of this barack hussain obama.

Hillary is the most qualified.

May 9, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  21. Joseph Adewole

McCain is too old to be The President of America. Hillary is in a do or die mood....

May 9, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  22. Andrea Texas

Senator Clinton remains the best candidate for the job. Mr Obama has smothered folks with his smooth speeches. Mr McCain is no fool, and will give him what he deserves-to be put in his place because of the person he pretended to be, and now, the person we gradually found out that he really is.

Okay, CNN, we understand your devotion to Mr Obama. Hopefully this comment will be posted regardless.

May 9, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  23. Primary is over

Yes...you should not mention her...She's irrelevant.

Please concentrate on McSame. Let Hillary gets all the remaining states.

For the sake of General election the following states can easily turn democrat when Obama is the nominee:
    1/ Virginia
    2/ Iowa
    3/ Colorado
    4/ Texas
    5/ Even N. Carolina and Georgia can change

Go Obama

May 9, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  24. Tony - DC

Obama is a typical black man. Plays to the black community. Whines, complians, lies, plays to the sense of entitlement.

NEWS FLAS OBAMA! No one is entitled to the highest position in the country. It is to be earned.

Apparently, most people haven't learned a thing from the vile mistake of the last 7 years?

May 9, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  25. Len

What a joke.

Get some experience first, rookie.

The office of US president isn't an internship.

Vote smart America