May 9th, 2008

Obama targets McCain, limits mentions of Clinton

Barack Obama targeted McCain Friday.
Barack Obama targeted McCain Friday.

BEAVERTON, Oregon (CNN) – What just a week ago was a joint attack on Hillary Clinton and John McCain over the proposed gas tax holiday is now just an attack on McCain - in fact, nowhere in his opening words did Barack Obama utter the word "Clinton."

"McCain," on the other hand, was tossed out nine times in the prepared comments.

The Illinois senator called the presumptive Republican nominee "dead wrong" when it comes to comments he made about the economy under the Bush administration, and he even took a swipe at McCain's healthcare plan - an issue that has not traditionally been used as a means to contrast himself from the Arizona senator.

"John McCain wants to continue a George Bush approach that only takes care of the healthy and the wealthy," Obama said.

During a question-and-answer session, however, Obama was asked what he thought about the idea of picking Clinton as his running mate. The White House hopeful repeated his standard response: that he has "not won this nomination yet" and that the two Democrats are still "actively running."

"She is very smart, and so I think she would be on anyone's…short list of vice presidential candidates," Obama said. "But beyond that I don't want to offer an opinion."

1. pee-d-feet cause something stinks, indy

Now, this is what I'm talking about

LET'S GET SOME McCAIN FLESH!!

Hillary is the past! (byyyyyyyyyeeeeeee!)

May 9, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  2. ok

How discriminative the people voting for you? shame on the othe group of people who decided to vote for you.

May 9, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  3. Not Yet Registered in CA

Obama reminds me of a modern day Robin Hood. And Michelle is his "Merry Men" rolled into one. The only difference is the congress and the senate works in reverse. Wake up America.

May 9, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  4. San Fran Loves OBAMA!

Uncle Sam – the evidence is in McCain wanting to keep us in Iraq for 100 years.

May 9, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  5. Sam

McCain, I donate money to Obama everytime I see you on TV.

May 9, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  6. Obama All The Way

Delegate Tracker Democratic Delegates Votes

Delegates Votes Votes
    Clinton 1692 16,452,341 15,253,046 (MI and FL included)
    Obama 1862 16,556,313 15,980,099 (MI and FL excluded)
    Even with MI and FL, Hillary loses. Give it up already!

May 9, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  7. Rich

To those who say Obama doesn't or hasn't offered solutions, please do at least a little research in the matter first. Just because Mitt and John say he hasn't done anything doesn't mean that it's true.

May 9, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  8. HSNP

Sen. Obama's supporters would be wise to take a look at other recent elections, just in case they're too young to remember. The Democratic nominee should carry most large metropolitan areas. The Republican nom CAN carry the huge swath of rural America. The rural vote can overcome the metro vote, and has again and again. Ask John Kerry and Al Gore.

They should be cautious in the regional elitism they spout. Al Gore would have taken the Presidency if they had carried Arkansas or West Virginia.

Just because you live in filthy, crime ridden (but fun, I've been to many) cities, don't down us because we live with trees, wildlife, clean water and air. YOU JUST MIGHT LOSE AGAIN!!!!!!!!

May 9, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  9. Frank

Democrats don't deserve to have a capable leader like Hillary Clinton. Let them remain ignorant and stupid. Hillary Clinton should run as an independent, and then we'll see what will happen!!! She will have the support of 50% of Democrats, the Independents, the Republicans who are sick of their party beurocracy, and she will be in the White House in November!!! I wonder if that is not her "exit strategy"!

May 9, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  10. American

I love Hillary! She definitely will win. Obama, always put your hands in your pocket. You know what, it gives me a feeling: you are not deligent, you just want to steal the nominate. No way, Hillary, our girl. GO!!!

May 9, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  11. Jim

Informed must be reading Obama propoganda...and actually belives it.

May 9, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  12. karen

Obama was very gracious to McCain. I live in AZ and McCain is not well liked. Article in local paper today told of McCain getting kickbacks from developers for "land switches" up in Prescott. Not the first time McCain's been crooked. Obama has mentioned the "Keating 5" when McCain should have gone to jail!

May 9, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  13. Lin, NC

Obama, you're an empty suit! Go home and come back in 55 years!.

May 9, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  14. Former Democrat

Clinton Supporters & Republicans: Let's work together to make sure Mr. Obama goes back to Chicago. He is unelectable and will never win in November.

May 9, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  15. Peter in PA

Uncle Sam,

Tell me when Obama smooched and hugged anyone in Hamas?

I can hardly wait for the debates. Obama will tear the old man McShame apart like no day tomorrow.

You republicans nominated a dumb monkey twice and now a oldman who can't remember our enemies from friends.

May 9, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  16. karen

Delete my first remark. I left out the word "not". Obama is to gracious to dig up dirt but I believe others will.

May 9, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  17. Doug, West Virginia

Why should he mention Hillary – The Democratic race is over.

Time for the genaral election.

Obama you have this red-neck vote

May 9, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  18. Matt

Obama 08

May 9, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  19. Pete Werkshire

Question: Most of this year Obama supporters have been saying the super delegates are morally bound to vote the way their constitutients
    voted--now as super delegates are switching to him even in states where the people voted overwhelmingly for Hillary, it's OK???????

May 9, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  20. Sheryl

Clinton supporters, I am going back to registering as an Independent since I was one for 38 years. I am not comfortable with either John McCain or Barack Obama, so I am writing in my vote for Sen. Clinton in November.

May 9, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  21. garosha

I am happy to see now every things change
    no body is care about this clinton fam.

May 9, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  22. Gobama 08-12

Obama – president
    Rev. wright- vice president
    Rev. Al – State Dep

Gobama 08-12

May 9, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  23. Sorensen

She was toast.
    She is toast.
    She will remain toast.

May 9, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  24. Nia - AZ by way of MN

I think it's a smart thing to do. Stop wasting time an energey taking jabs at each other and focus on McNot. Hopefully Clinton will follow suit.

May 9, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  25. Inter-racial Mom in Arizona

Clinton as VP with Obama does not show his "new politics" idea. He needs someone that compliments him, not contridicts.

May 9, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |