May 10th, 2008

What might West Virginia's primary mean?

Sen. Hillary Clinton campaigns in West Virginia.
Sen. Hillary Clinton campaigns in West Virginia.

CHARLESTON, West Virginia (CNN) - West Virginians will head to the polls Tuesday for the state's Democratic primary between Sens. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. But what will the vote there really mean after new delegate totals show Obama with a sizable lead?

Some say it could send a sobering message to Obama's Democratic supporters.

West Virginia is expected to go for Clinton big time - and the polls show it.

Clinton has a 43-point advantage over Obama, 66 percent to 23 percent, according to a survey from the American Research Group released Friday.

The poll was conducted after Tuesday's primary results and carries a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points.

"This state is really Hillary Clinton's wheelhouse. It's an older population, socially conservative, blue-collar workers," said Kennie Bass, a political reporter for WCHS in West Virginia.

Read the full story

1. Art Vanderleigh

Hillary is staying in the race because "she knows something"-
    Obamaniacs beware!

May 10, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  2. Patrick from Hazard, Kentucky

This is really no surprise for me, its the same way here in Kentucky. I am a huge Obama supporter and when I listen to people talk politics, they ALL say one of the same 4 things.
    "I ain't votin for no Muslim."
    "He won't say the Pledge!"
    "He and his Pastor are racist!"
    "I think he is the Anti-Christ!"

No matter how hard I fight or how much proof I show them that these things are false, they refuse to believe me.

May 10, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  3. having their say

it maens that they get to vote.

May 10, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  4. Steve

OK. Remind me. Who is Clinton again? Oh, yeah, the powerful candidate Democratic Party maven who lost her lofty position to a young upstart, right?

It's over. Clinton is so far behind, and disappearing in the rear view mirror of the Obama campaign bus, that this primary means nothing. She is beyond bankrupt fiscally and socially.

It means nothing. Less than nothing.

May 10, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  5. Mary - Independent

I believe that Hillary Clinton will do what she thinks is right. If she gains votes in the remaining states over Obama, then there might be a change of who would be the Democratic nominee. Those people who are pushing to get Obama in the White house should not tell her to quit. That is not democratic and Americans have the right to have their votes counted.

May 10, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  6. Relevant

"Some say" is a "weasel words" phrase, and any first-year journalist knows this.

You can not report something as "news" while saying "some say"... cite your sources, or, admit that you just expressed an opinion as fact, and renounce yourself as a true news establishment.

CNN is the Clinton News Network... this has never been more clear. Report the facts; do not report your pipe dream wishes about your chosen candidate in the form of a "news item".

The truth from my perspective as an Obama supporter is that the WV outcome will not send me a message of -any- kind. I don't care about the results of a primary that was a foregone conclusion.

CNN please stop showing your tremendous bias, and quit trying to drum up interesting dramatic headlines where there are none! If you want to keep luring your readership back, do it on the basis of real journalism, not tabloid-like sensationalism. The damage you've already done to the election by this is incalculable.

May 10, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  7. mya, Obama

West Virginia means it's time to 'suck-up' to Clinton's supporters: She's a wonderful candidate, America is a great country for having dedicated civil servants like Bill and Hillary Clinton, having said that, it's now time to hand it over to a new generation. Allow me to introduce PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA!!!!!!

May 10, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  8. Roger

Where has time yielded for you the people of West Virginia? Are you indeed better off then you were 16 years ago? Are you ready for many more years of the same? Sometimes pursueing a change can bring on the feeling of uncertainty and uneasiness. However, it is time to take that first step for a change for the better. Please vote for Barack Obama, West Virginia. This is for the future fo your children and grandchildren.

May 10, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  9. matt

West Virginia is indeed a swing state. It's been a democratic state for a while until GW Bush won the state in 2000 and 2004. Losing West Virginia is going to be a big wake up call for Obama and his supporters. Question again is why can't Obama win the swing states? Instead, it shows Obama can only win the red republican states like North Carolina and Mississippi, states that the republicans are going to outnumber the democrats and win in the general election. HILLARY '08

May 10, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  10. Geriatic

PLEASE CNN, STOP TRYING TO PORTRAY DRAMA, WHERE THERE IS NO DRAMA. W. VIRGINIA WAS ALWAYS GONNA BE OVERWHELMINGLY FOR CLINTON. WITH 28 DELEGATES AT STAKE, AND BEING VERY GENEROUS TO HILLARY, I GIVE HER A 20-8 SPLIT FOR A GAIN OF 12, HARDLY A MAJOR MOMENTUM SHIFT.

May 10, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  11. pat

you have only 500,000 vote that obama is a head of hillary if she picks up 2 or 3 hundred thousand votes in w.v. then on to kentucky where you have 2 to 3 million voters she is leading in polls 66 to 29 an she picks up about i million votes shes back in the ball game for popular votes. go hillary you can do it.

May 10, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  12. kia

CNN Stop trying to make this about Race. It's over. Your loving Clinton has cross the Loosing Line.

May 10, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  13. Mike

What is she fighting for? is she the democrat or an independent candidate? The democratic party goes by rules and because she is losing to Obama, she want to do everything to suit her. This party doesnt need people like her. It needs people like John Edwards to can accept defeat and quit. What is 28 delegates compared to over 100?
    I need a break. Its time to get behind Obama and move the party forward. People have rejected the third term for Clintons in the White house. We need either Obama or McCain period.

May 10, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  14. ellianna

Barack Obama WILL win the DEMOCRATIC NOMINATION for President of the United States! West Virginia means nothing other than the fact that BILLARY will proclaim a BIG VICTORY - and continue to try to find some ugly, damaging, deceitful way, to spin the victory and march herself right to the Convention!! IT IS TRULY DISAPPOINTING AND DISHEARTENING TO SEE THAT THE MOST CORRUPT TWO INDIVIDUALS ON THIS EARTH ARE HILLARY AND BILL CLINTON!!! THEY TRULY CARE ONLY FOR THEMSELVES!! AND THEY KNOW FULL WELL THEY ARE TAKING DOWN THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY EVERY MINUTE OF EVERY DAY CONTINUING ON IN THIS RACE THAT RIGHTFULLY IS BARACK OBAMA'S VICTORY!! As you said in the Ohio campaign, Hillary: SHAME ON YOU HILLARY CLINTON AND BILL CLINTON!! HOW DO YOU SPELL AMERICA?????

May 10, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  15. BillieJean in Idaho

I just read the newsweek article,"Clinton says Obama can't win White Americans". Then we wonder why we have racial divides in this country.

West Virginia doesn't mean anything except they have that Hillary can fire up her campaign with the "race card". I guess if you are a Clinton and you are loosing you will do or say anything to save face.

May 10, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  16. will

yawn. This is getting really tiring now. I'd really like to see the Democrats focus their attention on McCain now instead of all these silly irrelevant primaries. CNN – you need to stop dragging this, Obama is our nominee and everyone knows it.

May 10, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  17. Ray

To the W VA voters...their ignorance and racism
    To Hillary...A false hope
    To Obama...nothing
    To the rest of America...one step closer to the end

May 10, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  18. David

I am from West Virginia and I know that Barack Obama is going to be the nominee and I am going to vote for him. However, I have been supporting Hillary Clinton this nominating season because I think she would be the best President. Let me make this clear RACE AND GENDER HAVE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE WAY I HAVE VOTED. So before all you high and mighty Obama supporters call me racist and look down upon a whole state remember racism is all over the country not just West Virginia. And while this state has its problems I love my home.

May 10, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  19. Syqueen

West virginia will just mean that it's time for her to get ready to get out after june 3rd .Even if she win by 70% to 30% .She is gonna get 19 delegates to 9 for Obama.This is not helping her .That's why Obama didn't try to fight to close the gab.

May 10, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  20. Mike from WI

The benefit of having Clinton on the ticket for WV or KY would be far less than the trouble it would cause in bigger delegate states. I don't understand the argument that 'Republican-Lite' is going to satisfy those who prefer the real thing anyway. Best for Obama to play to his limited strengths in these states, and not worry so much about the inevitable losses, which probably will be less than Hillary's losses in western predominantly white states like Idaho.

May 10, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  21. marc

I know religion can not be made an issue in politic in our country
    but,I think it plays an important role in the selection as to who is
    going to be the next president of America. I won't vote for Obama
    because in his younger age he studied in Indonesia which is a
    Muslim country. Remember Iran at the time of President Reagan
    and latelty 9/11/01. In the Philippines Mindanao where some
    americans were beheaded, because of hates, In my mind peace
    and security comes first so that countries will prosper and i urge
    each and every fellow Americans to vote H. Clinton the First WOMAN
    PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

May 10, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  22. kevin

Actually, I am sorry to say, I believe it says that WV appears to simply be bigoted.....

May 10, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  23. carol mcfarlane

It doesn't say anything new – only confirms Hillary's taunts that she has the vote of the 'hardworking white blue collar Americans' – a stupid bait, if you ask me. It sends a message that her followers are not a part of the thinking, smart electorate! Of course she doesn't care how that reflects on her – the fact that she is in fact exploiting folk with sound bites, and dumbing down America. That she is in fact the leader we DO NOT need, one who would use demographics and doubting Thomases to get her ends.

Shame on her. The world is watching her tactics and Americans should wise up.

The polls will change over the weekend.

Regardless, the electorate changes after the primaries, so CNN, you should not be using scare tactics either!!! "...this should be sobering for the Democrats..." Please don't resort to sensationalism to improve your ratings.

May 10, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  24. Jeff

it won't send a "sobering message" to me. anything she wins in west virginia will be canceled out by oregon. it's over hillary. barack is kneeling down and running out the clock on this game.

May 10, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  25. Mark

Unfortunately the primary in West Virginia really means nothing at this juncture. The 50+ in conservitive blue collar votrer in rural america has had it's opportunity to keep in tact the direction of this country over 30 years ago and let it go. So why is their vote going to mean anything to a 30 year old American whose inherited this mess due to lack of responsibility and vision? Only if it's starts to vote with intellectuality instead of ideology, for the future Americans not the past they have given away. This election is about tommorrow not yesterday.

I am a 55 year old man whose ranks started in the Union Trade Labor Movement over 35 years ago. I was smart enough to leave and venture into the businees world and have done very well. I am also proud to be a fathered of a 1 year old boy. My vote is for his future.

OBAMA 08