May 10th, 2008

What might West Virginia's primary mean?

Sen. Hillary Clinton campaigns in West Virginia.
Sen. Hillary Clinton campaigns in West Virginia.

CHARLESTON, West Virginia (CNN) - West Virginians will head to the polls Tuesday for the state's Democratic primary between Sens. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. But what will the vote there really mean after new delegate totals show Obama with a sizable lead?

Some say it could send a sobering message to Obama's Democratic supporters.

West Virginia is expected to go for Clinton big time - and the polls show it.

Clinton has a 43-point advantage over Obama, 66 percent to 23 percent, according to a survey from the American Research Group released Friday.

The poll was conducted after Tuesday's primary results and carries a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points.

"This state is really Hillary Clinton's wheelhouse. It's an older population, socially conservative, blue-collar workers," said Kennie Bass, a political reporter for WCHS in West Virginia.

Read the full story

1. Matt

Not much at this point in the game....run the numbers. Hillary has to get 85 percent or more of the remaining vote to win the popular vote... not a chance...I dont think that the Superdelegates are unwise enough to go against the popular vote in a a nomination of this historic magnitude.

I guess the thing that amazes me the most is that West Virginia is behind Hillary.....It is largely a blue collar state....How in the heck did she convince them that she is on their side when she and her husband have made millions on the exportation of blue collar work? Is West Virginia so
    narrow minded that all that they are concerned with is coal? I would hope that most Americans would have more integrity than that.

May 10, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  2. Concerned Canadian

It means there are large pockets of the population that are in the Democratic base that will vote for Hillary Clinton and not Barack Hussein Obama.

This means head to head , straight up guts poker style election versus McCain, Obama will lose. I'll bet anyone on this. I'll even give the person 3 to 1 odds. Any takers ? No. I thought so.

She carried the big states in the primaries..Obama didn't. In a general election Obama won't be able to duplicate that result in the big states versus McCain. If anyone is talking about the math that really really really counts and I mean really count....Hillary Clinton is the person for the job to go up against McCain if the Dems want a realistic chance to regain the White House.

Gee..I must be a political genius for saying this. So proud of myself. The DNC should hire me as chairman....I will do a 100 times better job than that screaming heehaw guy Howard Dean. What a piece of work that guy is. If I were him I'd start putting applications in all over the place because he's losing his present job pretty soon.

May 10, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  3. D.

I've said it before and will say it again, that region of the country is not just socially conservative, it's big time Klan territory. Which is not to say that everyone in West Virginia is a gap toothed idiot, as I'm sure some people unfortunately think... I actually like the state myself. But the point is that there are enormous numbers of people who do live there who would die before they saw a black man in the Oval Office.

May 10, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  4. James, Wichita, KS

Hey GENIUS... what was the percent for Obama in Kansas, Idaho, Alaska, Colorado, Minnesota, Georgia, etc... all 65%+ wins by Obama.

West Virginia means very little at this point.

May 10, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  5. DrFill

What might WV mean?
    Uh.....nothing
    DrFill

May 10, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  6. no race card

It means the Obama campaign screwed themselves by playing the race card to secure the African American vote. It was hateful and created a division in the party.

Now they are stuck with calling everyone who does not vote for Obama, a racist.

It isn't true.
    Low income, uneducated African Americans are Obama's black base. They are the equivilent of Blue-collar white voters.

May 10, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  7. Dawn

It means nada. This will not do anything and CNN knows it!
    tHis is the reason for all the West Virgina stories. You want to make it to something. She can keep going all she wants. Obama needs to focus on Mccain and ignore Mrs Clinton. She wants attention. We the America people have decided! Obama 08! Tell her to continue her race baiting.
    Obama should never consider the Clintons for any position.

May 10, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  8. dave in RI

....and this is news why? Isn't there already a story on the ticker based on Clinton's huge lead in WV. At least her lead matches something......her ego

May 10, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  9. Scott C

The main stream media will do anything to make this race look like it isn't over.

Since Tuesday they have called the race for Obama and said it was over. They said West Virginia was going to go heavily for Clinton, as was Kentucky, but it didn't matter, because she still couldn't win.

Now here we are half a week later, and they must be worried about their ratings, because it is now time to sew doubt about Obama again to get people to tune back in.

A black guy just plain isn't going to win in West Virginia and Kentucky... It has nothing to do with policy that they are voting for Clinton, they are a VERY rural, red neck, hillbilly place, and they are racist. In the little time I have spent in West Virginia I heard more racial slurs than anywhere else I have been in the country.

West Virginia means nothing, they are, and always were going to go to the Republicans in November.

Let it rest CNN, stop picking at the wound of the Democratic race while it is trying to close.

May 10, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  10. Brian

It will be the same as the losing team scoring a hail mary TD in the losing seconds of a blow out. The only winners are the bookies.

May 10, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  11. john q public

This primary will not influence outcomes at all. It is pretty meaningless.

May 10, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  12. Gatsby

All this primary will do for Hillary is confirm that she still has support amongst the same voters she always had support from.

May 10, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  13. s.positive

nothing much, The matrix is against her

May 10, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  14. robert jones

IT'S OVER HILLARY CLINTON!!!!

May 10, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  15. Joe, Maine

Once again...CNN (Clinton News Network) can spin all they want. The race is over.

May 10, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  16. Bubble Burster

Give it up CNN, it's over. For one, ARG is a joke, you know it, I know it, the world knows it. I can conduct a better poll then the pirates at ARGGG.

Second, no matter what the outcome is, the race is done. It's just a matter of going through the motions until May 20th.

Third, I comfirmed today that both Obama and Clinton got the support of 200 Superdelegates each sometime before the month started. Yeah I caught that "comfirmation" garbage you tried to pull in yesteredays story about picking up Superdelegate support.

You are shameless and transparent at this point. Go back to reporting the news instead of creating it. That's what Fox is for.

May 10, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  17. Fred

That dishonesty is not important. All that matters is that they are white

May 10, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  18. Rob - Georgia

Like it or not, Obama cannot win the general election with the African American vote alone. Not enough of the white Democratic base support him and will go for McCain. I know blacks will support Obama until the very end but it just won't happen in November. If these so called "educated" people support him you would think they would be smart enough to see that. Obama winning in November is a pipe dream. We must have a Obama/Hillary ticket or a Hillary/Obama (even better) to win the White House.

May 10, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  19. Moses

Note to CNN, know one cares about the West Virginia hill billies, the race is over already.

Democrat 08

May 10, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  20. Susie

I pray every day and night for a miracle that will make Hillary the nominee. If only I could believe the Democratic Party has not lost its bearings and, once more, will nominate a candidate who cannot be elected. I am one of the most liberal people I know. I was totally against the Iraq war from the beginning. I have voted for every Democratic nominee since Carter. I was sure Kerry could never be elected before his nomination was confirmed (I was right) but I knew he was qualified just too liberal to be elected. I cannot vote for a candidate as inexperienced and uninformed about the issues as Obama.I don't know if I will stay home or vote for McCain but I know I cannot vote for Obama. This is not spite nor is it racism; I simply do not believe Obama is qualified to be President.

May 10, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  21. kay, NM

WV primary is irrelevant. Important states are: IO, ID, AL, AK, MO,MS, SC, VA, WY, IN, WI, ND, SD, TX etc. where Obama will win landslide in November!

May 10, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  22. MR. AMERICA

MR. AMERICA thinks them West Virginians is clingin to them guns, bibles, and white candidates....

May 10, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  23. There is a lot.....

There is a lot to be said about this article. But to imply that Hillary Clinton is the only way the Democratic can win West Virginia, is a heck of a statement. Truly, is there no other good running mate that Obama can select that would increase the chances of getting West Virginia? I think when it comes to selecting a VP, all this will factor into it and we will just have to see who he picks!

May 10, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  24. Jason Means

What does it mean...? Sadly it means that the good God fearing people of West Virginia are easily fooled by shady politicians.

Obama will loose by large margins in the "Mountain State" because he stands for change (something old crusty WV voters just don't want) and because he's black.

And before everyone starts hooting and howling about my commets – let me remind one and all that I live in WV, and have to put up with its crusty welfare population every day. I can't even tell you how many times people have approached me at work or on the street to tell me that they're voting for Hillary because they think Obama is a sleeper cell Muslim – or, that they just couldn't vote for anybody who's name rhymes with Osama.

With that type of insane logic, Obama doesn't stand a chance. All I can say is that I wish him luck in the general election and hope that the rest of the country doesn't pay too much attention to this upcoming WV primary... I'm embarresed enough as it is.

May 10, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  25. ColinBeau

What does it mean? It might mean that sje picks up a few points and then Barack will crush her in Oregon and get those points and more. I hope that he gets it– I voted Republican the last few times for president, but I feel that we can't have the same status quo in there... She won't accomplish anything– talk at work is also that the US is so convoluted right now, that regardless of who gets in the white house, it will be so difficult to bring about change that any one in there will only be setting the stage for success or failure for the person who is in there down the road– Clinton (Bill) only looked successful because the aftershocks of Reaganomics were still eeking out huge capital gains... he was no better than George Senior. FACT. I think Obama will make lots of mistakes and screw up, but no more than Hillary or McCain– it's the team he has that will enable change- He has a greater potential to get people in his cabinet who are willing to take an educated, well thought-out risk rather than the "we know what the people want to be fixed, and we know how to do it!" kind of attitude.
    She will win West Virginia, but c'est la vie, I am hoping to God, Buddah, Allah, and/or Vishnu that this will end soon- Good luck Mr. Obama and don't let WV sweat you any.... I believe he can do it!

May 10, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |