May 11th, 2008

Clinton celebrates Mother’s Day in next primary state

GRAFTON, West Virginia (CNN) – While opponents Barack Obama and John McCain took Mother’s Day off, Hillary Clinton hit the trail in rainy West Virginia with daughter Chelsea. They celebrated the holiday with a morning church service in Huntington before flying east to visit the home of Mother’s Day's founder – Anna Jarvis – and to give a speech commemorating the day.

“Judging from the mothers that I meet across the country, I’ve come to believe that hard work, determination and resiliency are encoded in our DNA,” Clinton told a small gathering at a railroad museum. “We also have the stand-up-and-fight-for-what-you-believe-in gene.”

Sunday marked Grafton’s 100th celebration of the holiday and despite Clinton’s tribute to mothers and women in general, Tuesday’s primary and her struggle to stay in the race were not forgotten.

“In two days, the voters in West Virginia will join the tens of millions of Americans who have already cast their vote for president,” said Clinton. “I am asking for your support so that I can continue to fight for you, fight to finish the work that we have started.”

Clinton read her supporters several emails she has received in recent days, encouraging her to say in the race. One read, “It’s not over until the lady in the pantsuit says it is!”

On Saturday, Clinton told donors at a Mother’s Day-themed fundraiser in New York, “Let’s keep going, stay with me, this is a great adventure!”

Clinton will continue to campaign in West Virginia on Monday and Tuesday and is expected to win the state handedly.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Kirk

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY HILLARY " YOU ARE AMERICA'S MOM "
    GOD BLESS YOU , ENJOY YOUR DAY !!!!!!

ONLY HILLARY 2008 !!!!!!

May 11, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  2. wait a minute

This is not an adventure.
    This campaign is about lives of the American people as she said many, many times before.
    We have more important things to do than having her as our tour guide of the negativity land.

May 11, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  3. Willie McGill

I wish Senator Clinton well. I sincerely hope she become our the next President of the United States.

May 11, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  4. Trina

But ... why? She can win the rest of the states and it won't be enough. For goodness sakes, spend time with your daughter.

May 11, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  5. obama supporter

hillary should have spent mothers day with her mom, she is getting up in age and may not be around for another m-day.

how power hungry is she

May 11, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  6. Kirk

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY HILLARY " YOU ARE AMERICA'S MOM "
    GOD BLESS YOU , ENJOY YOUR DAY !!!!!!

Obama & His Campaign Would Like An Early Close To This historic Primary ..... They What Us To Beleive They Have Won ..... Truth Is They Haven't .... Hillary Has The Edge Now , And can Win The Primary !! ….. And Yes The Math Dose Work In Her Favor !!!!
    Hillary Now & And 2012

May 11, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  7. white woman for Obama

I think there is such a thing as too ambitious, and Hillary is way too ambitious. She should be with her mom and daughter, taking time out to celebrate motherhood with the people wjho matter most in her life. Hillary needs to chill when it comes to winning. She is so set on being the first woman president, she will do whatever it takes. Not for the people, but for herself and her hunger for power. I think her sense of entitlement is much too strong and has got her going at it even now as we wrap things up and almost announce Obama as nominee. Hillary, family comes before business.

May 11, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  8. syedraouf

mrs hilary presidential candidate
    respected .
    i hope celebrate mothers dayin very good envoroment thats america seeks mother who can serve to country in way that mothers love their like own childrens i dont know how the other candidate the clebrate
    but u r very wonderful mom for to love own country its great pleasure
    to citizen of america they have such mother who love contry like mother
    best direction to the people and other part of wolrd my message to your family mother and your husband daughter all members of family
    i am trying my best to convay the message to other part of the world
    your speches is very important ot me when ever u do campaign delivery mesage i hope u understand my contribution and helping to
    americans in betterway godbless u and membersof party for supporting americans thanks syed

May 11, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  9. Cathy

Happy Mother's Day Hillary.I wish you all the best.Please continue with the campaign we are all behind you.

May 11, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  10. B ESS

Tarnished, old time politics, divisive, negative, extremely low approval rate, scorch and burn, pander, play role of hometown girl,....

Need I mention her name?

May 11, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  11. Joyce in Florida

You bet Senator Clinton that I will stay with you and support you all the way to the White House. Come on voters out there. Let's support Hillary so she can fight John McCain. No more Bush administration. The only person who is capable of running John McCain is Hillary. If Senator Obama becomes the nominee, our country will really be in dire straits. HILLARY CLINTON ALL THE WAY TO THE WHITE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!

May 11, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  12. Allison Marie

I am always amazed at Hillary's strength, she's so inspiring.

Clinton/08/12

May 11, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  13. Independent Voter

"We have the stand up and fight for what you believe in gene"....I think
    what she really should say is she has the "I dont know what the hell
    I'm talking about and I don't know how to run a campaign gene"....
    It was irritating at first, then it became funny...but now it has gotten to the point that she is just pathetic! Would somebody please tell her
    it is over! It reminds me of Micheal Jackson...no real friends around
    to say ....hey you are screwing up!

May 11, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  14. Sol

Give yourself a break Hillary - IT IS OVER

May 11, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  15. Andrew

Never give up Hillary.

Keep on fighting for America.

The millions who voted for you are still rooting for you.

May 11, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  16. Pat in Cali

Happy Mother's Day to all hard working American mothers not matter what color you are.

Democrats unite and heal this nation.

May 11, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  17. Don from Canada

Hillary begging nice to hear too bad she can't see the forest for the trees. Quit now Hillary your DONE !

May 11, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  18. Dilly WA

So Mom, did you take your only child into a war zone under sniper fire, or did you have her lie for you that ther was sniper fire. I"m not impressed.

May 11, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  19. Interesting

I've never despised and admired some one so much. Unfortunately her timing was all wrong. If she had taken the race this seriously from the start, she would be the nominee.

May 11, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  20. francisco

Happy mothers day to every mother out there , as much as I hate Hillary politically I do believe she has every right to stay on the race until there is a clear winner, however I believe it is good for democrat to rally Sen Obama now because there is a lot at stake we can not afford another four years of Bush failed policies

May 11, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  21. lorraine

Hillary, you got what it takes to be the President and hopefully the people who have not yet voted will decide to do something about helping you get to the Oval office, too many times some of us let others do the work and sit back and complain BUT now is the time for the Hillary supporters to make it their business to go out and vote and take everyone you know who is eligible to vote with you, lets show Hillary that her non stop work is going to be rewarded with a win. Vote Hillary

May 11, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  22. White female voter

Hillary is not my idea of a good mom. Didn't she teach Chelsea that it is ok to lie as she did blatantly in her account of their Bosnia trip. That incident alone reflects poorly on the character of both these women.

May 11, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  23. Lynn D

Senator Clinton is a wonderful mom and she will be a great president.

May 11, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  24. gerald strother

Crystal Strait, 28, became the 273rd superdelegate in Obama's column .“It’s not over until the lady in the pantsuit says it is!” this should say it is not over until the superdleagte in the pantsuit say it ! is over and they have done so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and more is comeing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 11, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  25. Brenda Woodsmall

Keep going Hillary. This country needs you in the White House unfortunately the ones not on your side seem to be the ones who have been MESMERIZED by Obama. I believe in you, and know you are what this country needs now more than ever.

May 11, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |