May 11th, 2008

Clinton celebrates Mother’s Day in next primary state

GRAFTON, West Virginia (CNN) – While opponents Barack Obama and John McCain took Mother’s Day off, Hillary Clinton hit the trail in rainy West Virginia with daughter Chelsea. They celebrated the holiday with a morning church service in Huntington before flying east to visit the home of Mother’s Day's founder – Anna Jarvis – and to give a speech commemorating the day.

“Judging from the mothers that I meet across the country, I’ve come to believe that hard work, determination and resiliency are encoded in our DNA,” Clinton told a small gathering at a railroad museum. “We also have the stand-up-and-fight-for-what-you-believe-in gene.”

Sunday marked Grafton’s 100th celebration of the holiday and despite Clinton’s tribute to mothers and women in general, Tuesday’s primary and her struggle to stay in the race were not forgotten.

“In two days, the voters in West Virginia will join the tens of millions of Americans who have already cast their vote for president,” said Clinton. “I am asking for your support so that I can continue to fight for you, fight to finish the work that we have started.”

Clinton read her supporters several emails she has received in recent days, encouraging her to say in the race. One read, “It’s not over until the lady in the pantsuit says it is!”

On Saturday, Clinton told donors at a Mother’s Day-themed fundraiser in New York, “Let’s keep going, stay with me, this is a great adventure!”

Clinton will continue to campaign in West Virginia on Monday and Tuesday and is expected to win the state handedly.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. J.Onofre -CA

She will win West Virginia but it wont put a dent at all in Obama's overall delegate count.

May 11, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  2. Monica, Texas

Hillary is sending the wrong message to our daughters...It is alright to take a day off. She appears to be out of control and not have balance in her life. She is not a "fighter" but obsessed.

May 11, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  3. anonymous

CNN never posts my comments so I don't expect to see this one.
    I honestly have tremendous sympathy for Mrs. Clinton. I feel that against any other opponent she would have succeeded dramatically, and she is losing to a candidate who has inspiration, but not enough experience or decision making to capture the presidency. It's depressing.

May 11, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  4. bill in pa

Who cares

May 11, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  5. Susan MO

Why are some of my fellow Obama's supporter so mean and angry. Stop clinging to your computer with antipathy for Hillary.

We have won be nice. Remember she is still pretending to be a democrat and her husband was a great President.

Obama is not about hate. He is a uniter

Obama/Webb 08

May 11, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  6. Brian

She should have respected mother's by taking the day off.

May 11, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  7. Dan (TX)

Hillary didn't give a hoot about West Virginia until she realized that it was coal dust on their faces! :)

May 11, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  8. Independent

Anybody watch the stupid youtube aid showing Chelsea and Hillary.While I am sure she loves her mother, this sounded so rehearsed and phoney. It ended with Chelsea saying that her mother raised her to believe that even she could be they 2nd female President in history! It is really pitiful!

May 11, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  9. Glenn

Why aren't Hillary's supporters helping her with her finances and donating money to her campaign? I hear the fat lady singing "Obama 08 and 12."

May 11, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  10. Independent99999

What is this lady cooking .. A sinister is on her plans. Will she go down in the history as someone who crucified the Dem Party and Clintons name (on whatever is still left).

May 11, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  11. Belle

Senator Hillary R. Clinton, the first woman to be a serious candidate for President of the United States of America.

In spite of all of the Hate mail from Obama supporters, I honor you as a woman for your courage and your constant grace under fire from not only the media, Senators and Representatives supporting Obama, Obama's person derogatory comments, his supporters derogatory comments, and the moxie you have had during this campaign.

Happy Mother's Day!

May 11, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  12. You go, Hillary!

And I will continue to send you my contributions. And if that doesn't help and they try to shove OBama down my throat, I WILL WRITE IN YOUR NAME ON THE NOVEMBER BALLOT. ANYTHING BUT OBAMA, THAT SNAKE OIL SALESMAN!

May 11, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  13. After further review,Texas

Did she put on her pandering southern twang accent for the crowd.She she tell them Coal is King and will make a comeback and they will all be rich like her someday.West Virginia dont be fooled by the woman behind the curtain.The first thing to go will be your guns.This woman is a born Globalist and thats what is really in her DNA.

May 11, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  14. Time to get on the "Sign in Hillary" Bandwagon!

I will NEVER, EVER vote for Obama. Folks, it's time to consider writing Hillary's name on the November ballot if they try to shove Obama down our throats.

May 11, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  15. Time to get on the "Sign in Hillary" Bandwagon!

OK, CNN, there is NO other comment here - so have the balls to add mine: I will NEVER vote for Obama. And rather than vote for McCain, I will write in HIllary Clinton's name on the November ballot if the DNC tries to shove Obama down my throat.

May 11, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  16. Susan Missouri

Hillary will spend next Mother's day in the White House!!

Hillary 08!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 11, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  17. austbill

It is a true statement, "it is not over until the lady in the pantsuit says that it is over." I feel that Hillary is living proof a a person getting knocked down and then instantly returning to her feet. I will continue to believe in Hillary and pray that she hangs in there, until the bitter end. Afterall, I would not have much faith in Hillary if she were to simply give-up. She has no real reason to give up, it is too close for anyone to call a winner and there are other issues at hand that still need to be dealt with as well. The Demorcratic nominee could still be either Clinton or Obama.

Go Hillary!!!!

May 11, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  18. yns

Thank you so much, Hillary! You are awesome and I would be proud to have you as the President of the United States of America!

May 11, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  19. austbill

I wish people would quit all but burying Hillary, she is alive and well and hanging in there.

May 11, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  20. b

Her irrationality is scary.

May 11, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  21. CA Chris

My dad is from grafton. I have visited. Talk about a bunch of stupid, fat, racist, backwards hillbillies! And those grafton folks are the elite of WV!! I'd hate to see what the mountain folk are like. Who cares which way they vote this primary? It's a hopelessly red state with only a handful of electors..

May 11, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  22. hillary 08:

we love you Hillary!
    we're with you all the way!

May 11, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  23. WHY??

Why campaign when you already know that one of the most racist populations will not vote for a Black man. Show some dignity and reject that. Oh , but you will accept any path to the presidency. Too bad for you it is too late. No matter what the dumb old white folks in WV say you cant catch OBAMA in pledged votes. And if you steal the nomination via the superdelegates, you cant win the general without African Americans, whom you will lose because they recoginize that you were willing to sacrifice your relationship with them in order to get the white racist vote.

I am not saying that all white hillary supporter are racist, but we all know that there is a pocket of them who are.

May 11, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  24. fred

Happy Mother's Day Hillary!!!

Hope you had a great one!!

Boy won't it be nice next year we will have a Mother as President!!!

If not Hillary...then McCain!!

Run Independent Hillary!!

May 11, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  25. Mena

I don't support Hillary, but what I don't get is why she's choosing to campaign in a state she's already going to easily carry. People are already counting her out (me too) but, if she wants to show that she should still be seriously considered a threat or the nomination is still a competition (which it is not). She should be campaigning in Oregan- a state that is expected to go Obama's way.

This is unfortunately an example of a 'good' candidate in a bad campaign.

Obama '08