May 11th, 2008

Dodd: Obama, Clinton ticket not likely

Sen. Chris Dodd says it’s “very clear” Obama will be his party’s nominee.
Sen. Chris Dodd says it’s “very clear” Obama will be his party’s nominee.

(CNN) – Sen. Chris Dodd on Sunday joined the chorus of Democratic leaders downplaying the idea of a joint ticket between Sens. Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton.

"These are two great candidates who fought very hard, but my sense is today that that probably won't be the ticket," Dodd said on NBC's "Meet The Press."

Dodd, who abandoned his presidential bid on January 3, said he thinks it's "very clear" Obama will be his party's nominee.

Dodd expressed confidence that his party would rally around Obama, despite the lengthy primary season.

Obama campaign chief David Axelrod on Sunday predicted the process would be over soon, but avoided talk of any potential running mates.

"We'll focus on the vice presidential choice at the appropriate time," he said on "Fox News Sunday."

Clinton campaign Chairman Terry McAuliffe has said a joint ticket would be a "great idea," but the New York senator's strategist on Sunday said "any talk of it is premature."

"I haven't discussed it with her. She hasn't discussed it with me. I've seen no evidence of her interest in it," he told Fox.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said it's up to the candidates to sort out the ticket.

"Only two people can make that decision and that's Obama and Clinton. No one else can make it. If that happens, it happens, but it can only be with the two of them," he said on ABC's "This Week."

He said the extended fight for the Democratic nomination has been "great for the country," pointing to increased voter registration for his party.

Reid said people should "just relax" because the primaries will be over June 3.

The renewed buzz of what some have called the "dream ticket" comes as Obama closes in on the Democratic nomination in recent days.

The senator from Illinois last week had a double-digit win in North Carolina and a narrow loss in Indiana.

Obama holds a commanding lead in the number of pledged delegates awarded from primaries and caucuses: 1,592 to Clinton's 1,424.

Following a flurry of new endorsements over the past few days, he trails Clinton by just one in the race for superdelegates.

At the beginning of the year, Clinton led the superdelegate race by more than 100.

Superdelegates are party leaders and officials who vote for the candidate of their choice at the Democratic convention in August.

The focus of the Democratic race has largely turned to the superdelegates because they outnumber the remaining pledged delegates that are up for grabs.

According to CNN's latest calculations, Clinton has 273 superdelegates to Obama's 272.

The Democrats face off Tuesday in West Virginia, where polls show Clinton with a substantial lead.

Clinton has a 43-percentage-point advantage over Obama, 66 percent to 23 percent, according to a survey from the American Research Group released Friday.

The poll was conducted after Tuesday's primary results and carries a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points.

"This state is really Hillary Clinton's wheelhouse. It's an older population, socially conservative, blue-collar workers," said Kennie Bass, a political reporter for WCHS in West Virginia.

Obama acknowledges that West Virginians favor Clinton.

"She is going to do very well in West Virginia and Kentucky. She will win those states, in all likelihood, by significant margins," Obama said this week.

Obama took a break from the campaign trail Sunday, spending Mother's Day in Chicago, Illinois.

Clinton had three stops scheduled in West Virginia ahead of the primary, and her husband, Bill Clinton, was campaigning for her in Oregon.

1. Mel

I was for Senator Clinton before she announced that she would seek the nomination, but she has disappointed me by not taking the high road when she came to the fork on several occasions. We do need a change at the core of our Nation's life. It will be refreshing when the press begins to lift up Stateswoman/Statesmanship instead of just reveling in the dirt
    which it tries to stir up.

May 11, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  2. LaLa in KCMO

I'll Modify it for Dems ... boy, you sure have a lot of hatred! It's rhetoric like that that will keep this country divided.

You do not know what you are talking about and seemingly don't care about how your hard words kill any prospects of this party much less this country uniting.

How nice it would be to hear something UNIFYING from Clinton supporters ... how nice it would be to hear something POSITIVE about the way things are going from Clinton supporters.

Obama 2008 and 2012
    Yes We Can. And We Are.

May 11, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  3. Jenny from IN

Billy from Florida:

You are the perfect example of why you should keep your mouth shut if you don't know what you're talking about. My Dad says it best: Those who know the least try to speak the loudest. Not a SINGLE THING you said was true. Florida did not go for Clinton at 99%. Obama does NOT have 98% of the African-American vote. And by any standards now, including counting Florida, Obama STILL is ahead of Hillary. IT'S PETTY PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR GEORGE W. BUSH'S PRESIDENCY AND RE-ELECTION AND THE DOWNFALL OF AMERICAN SOCIETY.

May 11, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  4. Emma

Hillary is to smart to be Vice President . If she can't have first place , I don't want her to have second- Run on the Independent Ticket Hillary.You will have my vote and lots of others too.

May 11, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  5. mitchell from arkansaw

joyce,in florida:even including your votes in fla. and michigan,she still can't overtake obama's lead.accept it and join us,for the fall.

May 11, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  6. mitchell from arkansaw

thank you jane in cal.i'm an independent,and we can't afford mccain.

May 11, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  7. lisa

If you have moral, Please vote for Hillary!

May 11, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  8. Michele J

When Sen Obama does or say something questionable, we question the intent as supporters. However, no matter what Sen Clinton says or does, her supporters simply follow blindly.
    But I'm constantly hearing that we are "Obamabots". I don't follow my candidate of choice blindly, nor do I agree with everything he does and how he handles controversy, but in the BIG picture, he has shown that he can run a campaign almost flawlessly with the least of disruptions or infighting.
    So please, if you are a Hillary Clinton supporter I can respect that, but only if you spend more time of building up your candidate.

May 11, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  9. Perry, NC

Whether it's Obama-Clinton or Clinton-Obama, we need to keep the republicans out of the White House. Unity is a must. When democrats start saying they'll vote McCain, write in their candidate, or not vote at all; it makes me question their sanity. The bottom line is, we cannot afford another 4 years of republican rule (that is unless you're already rich). Republicans don't care about the average Joe. If you're net worth isn't over 1 million, you'll continue to suffer under their "everything’s okay" ideology. Personally, I voted Obama, but if Hillary got the nomination, I'd vote for her. I care too much about seeing "regular" people receive the help they need than I do about getting my way and having my candidate get the nomination. Republicans don't care about you. Democrats do. Let's come together and do something for our country.

May 11, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  10. Kirk

I will NOT vote for OBAMA because he has lied from the start about who he was and what he stood for.

He pretended to be about unity and on the weekends he sneaked off to donate money to his racist church. He sat in the pews and applauded as Rev. Wright spread propoganda and hate towards Whites, Jews, Italians, America and the victims of 911.

Obama said he is for the people and yet he sided with the Credit Card companies and voted to increase our interest rates to 30% or higher. Clinton and Edwards voted NO.

Obama said he is for the people but yet he tried to help Exelon AVOID reporting nuclear leaks. The original legislation REQUIRED nuclear companies to report any and all nuclear leaks. Obama however, tried to help Exelon by re-writing the legislation so that it now would say we SUGGEST that uclear leaks be reported.

Obama lied about Rezko during a National Debate stating he only knew him because of 5-6 hours worth of work, then we all find out later that they have been friends for over 16 years.

Obama lied during the Texas debate and told the moderator he had already released his earmarks when pressured about them. Then we find out three weeks later, that he had just released the earmarks.

Obama cannot be trusted, he has showed extremely flawed judgment and character.

Voting for Obama would be like voting for Bush again!

" WE TOLD YOU SO " NO OBAMA !!!!!!

May 11, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  11. Gnosticman

I think many of you are idiots. i am an Obama supporter, but for the love of God leave Hillary alone. This is politics and politics is not a squeeky clean business. All the Obama supporters who think Obama is perfect and Hillary is evil, and all the Hillary supporters who think Hillary is perfect and Obama is evil ARE ALL IDIOTS!! And anyone of you who even entertains the idea of voting for McCain if your democratic nominee doesn't win is a VILE MORONIC SCUMBAG!! All of us democrats and independents need to GET MCCAIN OUT, so we can BRING THE BOYS BACK HOME, fix our environment and give our economy some CPR if its not too late already! We are not Clintonites or Obamanians WE ARE AMERICA AND WE NEED TO TAKE BACK THIS COUNTRY FROM THE GOP! Democrats and Idependents UNITE!!!!!!!!!

May 11, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  12. Jess

It seems that that the people saying they would vote for only Hillary really are selfish people. They don't care about the people fighting and dying in Iraq. They would rather see this war continue under McSame then vote for Obama. Think of how many people will be dead in the next four years, then think long and hard about how spoiled that is. It's a democracy, sometimes you don't get your choice, but that is no reason to vote for 4 more years of a tragic war just because you are bitter. That is inhuman, sick, and evil.

May 11, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  13. Allen

Obama had very good relationship with his Pastor, today he kicked out his Pastor, but whole country verybody knew already what happened, his opinion was same as his Pastor, now he change and blame the Pastor in order to reach his President dream, He is exactly
    whited sepulcher.

May 11, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  14. jd

Thank God , Clinton will not be on the Ticket! OBAMA/08

May 11, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  15. Venus

I can't wait for this race to be over!

It's going to be nice for Hillary supporters to go to Mc Cain's website and tell the Repigs how they hate Obama and his supporters!

Can't wait! By the way – it feels good to be on the Obama Team!

And, it's also beautiful to see how many wonderful people support Obama!

YES WE CAN! YES WE WILL WIN!!!

May 11, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  16. Anonymous

"I'll Modify it for DEMS" states

An issue that has become more and more obvious to me (and others) is the incredible filthy, vulgar, hateful arrogance of Obama supporters.

This comment is absurd on its face.

Bot h candidates are the same on the issues and the primary battle was a essentially a contest of personalites.

Hillary is the poster child for status quo, divisviveness, "dirty politics" and the adage "Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolueley." This woman would back over her own grandmother to become President. Simply put she is NOT a likeable person

The reason Mr. Obama has come out of nowhere is because he is the anitthesis of all those things .

May 11, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  17. BostonMom

Um, True black American? If those who are endorsing Obama are doing it not because they believe in his judgment but because they are chasing after a VP position, they WHY not just endorse Hillary? She'll need a VP too, right? And you don't need to hold down the question mark key and exclamation mark key – just one or two punctuation marks will get your meaning across, sparky... Honestly, you wacky Hillary supporters are reaching further and further for an explanation of why her campaign has failed so miserably... it started getting sad weeks ago and now it's just pathetic. Face it kids – Obama is a far superior candidate and the nomination belongs to him – as it should be.

May 11, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  18. Democrates

Fran,

What you fail to realize is if Obama lose to McCain it will be blamed on Hillary because of the divisions she caused, so in 2012 the party will make sure she don't have a chance to run again. She will be the least like senator in the party. Also Bill Clinton won office both times because of the hugh African American vote they stood behind him even when white jumped ship. So myself a white man I know that whites will jump from side to side depending on what little bad news they here about someone, but African Americans are loyal once they believe in you(I am not trying to be negative toward African Americans here). If Obama lose is blamed on Clinton she could not win in 2012 because the African American vote will not be on her side and without that the repulicans will crush her and any democrate in a general election.

Obama has plyed by the rules and if he win he will have won it fair and square. It was Hillary(I did vote for her) who started going negative after super Tuesday when Obama started winning 12 in a row and he was winning in mostly all white states. Hillary is the one who went down the negative road so it bothers me to her Hillary supporters mad at Obama for something Hillary did to her self and our party. I voted for Hillary in Ohio but i will now gladly vote for Obama because I love my country and my party and for anyone to say the higher ups in the party was bias toward Hillary is crazy because when the election started she got more than a 100 superdelegates than Obama to support her based off her named. Obama has won his support from meeting and talking to people he could not rely on just his name like Hillary Clinton did. Democrates need to stop thinking their vote ment more than the majority of the democrates because Obama has won mor votes, states and delegates fair and square. MI and FL did not follow the rules and Hillary signed the agreement to not count their votes as a matter of fact she signed it before any of the other candidates.

May 11, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  19. James in Illinois

"I have to tell you that while I find some of what Obama says inspiring, I DO have many reasons- all policy, character, issue based and none due to racism – that WILL keep me from voting for Obama. ( by the way I am in an inter racial marriage with inter racial children)"

To "I'll modify it for dems". referencing the above statement. I read the rest of this blog and I didn't see one policy issue and all character issues are directed at supporters. I don't get it. I thought I was about to read an intellegent analysis and I got an emotional outburst.

May 11, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  20. Jus'Sayin'

I guess you're all correct: Obama is " just a pandering, hypocritical, lying candidate" and, according to "True Black American for Hillary, it's a sin to vote for Obama but what, oh what, can we do?? First, we tried the inevitable candidate scenario and that didn't work. Then we tried race-baiting and that didn't work. Then we tried to convince Americans that only some states were important and that didn't work. Then we insisted that only primaries, not caucuses, were democratic and that didn't work. Then we tried the kitchen sink strategy and that didn't work. Then we tried pandering and that didn't work. Now we're trying blackmail the superdelegates by threatening to vote for McCain (promoted on Hillary's web site blogs so her campaign does approve of this) so we'll see if this works. We can only pray, huh?

May 11, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  21. James

I hope Obama doesn't pick Clinton. I know Edwards has said 'no' to VP, but Obama could really use him for the "blue collar white" vote. Senator Jim Webb of Virginia would be a great pick too, being from Virginia (possible swing state) and his military credentials (reaching out to McCain voters).

Obama-Webb '08!!!!

May 11, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  22. Jot

I just wish senator Clinton can change to indepedent so that all these democratic haters can lose thier posts as chairmen of the senator especially that B.....tch Doddy

May 11, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  23. Chris, Middletown, CT

He's from my state – a worthless politician...this one time though..he's right....(still worthless) – but right – if someone "distorts" your record (i.e. lies about it) – you can hardly trust them

May 11, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  24. Gwen

Just like his reverend , Obama's own supporters and the DNC will help to further sink his ship. They are all divisive and have agenda's which will never be sold to all Americans. The more I think about it, McCain's not so bad, at least I don't think he'll sell out our country. Hillary has been betrayed by the DNC because their agenda is to put in place the first black president, for them that takes precedence over putting the right candidate in office.
    My motto has been, Hillary first, McCain if I must. I'm going to pay closer attn to McCain now.

May 11, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  25. Lora B.

People want the race to be over and they want the dems to unite, however, there are those of us who support Clinton that simply will not support Obama. The nastiness coming from the Obama camp just adds fuel to the fire. Just because we are supporting one democratic candidate does not means we will automatically support the other, especially with all of the mud slinging from the other side.

If Obama does become the nominee, I believe that he should make a concerted effort to offer the v.p. slot to Clinton. If he does not and instead offers the v.p. position to a white male, I will not even consider voting for him. That tells me that he is saying that the Clinton supporters do not matter. John McCain is not perfect but he is a relatively liberal conservative and he just may get my vote depending on how all this plays out.

May 11, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |