May 11th, 2008

Dodd: Obama, Clinton ticket not likely

Sen. Chris Dodd says it’s “very clear” Obama will be his party’s nominee.
Sen. Chris Dodd says it’s “very clear” Obama will be his party’s nominee.

(CNN) – Sen. Chris Dodd on Sunday joined the chorus of Democratic leaders downplaying the idea of a joint ticket between Sens. Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton.

"These are two great candidates who fought very hard, but my sense is today that that probably won't be the ticket," Dodd said on NBC's "Meet The Press."

Dodd, who abandoned his presidential bid on January 3, said he thinks it's "very clear" Obama will be his party's nominee.

Dodd expressed confidence that his party would rally around Obama, despite the lengthy primary season.

Obama campaign chief David Axelrod on Sunday predicted the process would be over soon, but avoided talk of any potential running mates.

"We'll focus on the vice presidential choice at the appropriate time," he said on "Fox News Sunday."

Clinton campaign Chairman Terry McAuliffe has said a joint ticket would be a "great idea," but the New York senator's strategist on Sunday said "any talk of it is premature."

"I haven't discussed it with her. She hasn't discussed it with me. I've seen no evidence of her interest in it," he told Fox.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said it's up to the candidates to sort out the ticket.

"Only two people can make that decision and that's Obama and Clinton. No one else can make it. If that happens, it happens, but it can only be with the two of them," he said on ABC's "This Week."

He said the extended fight for the Democratic nomination has been "great for the country," pointing to increased voter registration for his party.

Reid said people should "just relax" because the primaries will be over June 3.

The renewed buzz of what some have called the "dream ticket" comes as Obama closes in on the Democratic nomination in recent days.

The senator from Illinois last week had a double-digit win in North Carolina and a narrow loss in Indiana.

Obama holds a commanding lead in the number of pledged delegates awarded from primaries and caucuses: 1,592 to Clinton's 1,424.

Following a flurry of new endorsements over the past few days, he trails Clinton by just one in the race for superdelegates.

At the beginning of the year, Clinton led the superdelegate race by more than 100.

Superdelegates are party leaders and officials who vote for the candidate of their choice at the Democratic convention in August.

The focus of the Democratic race has largely turned to the superdelegates because they outnumber the remaining pledged delegates that are up for grabs.

According to CNN's latest calculations, Clinton has 273 superdelegates to Obama's 272.

The Democrats face off Tuesday in West Virginia, where polls show Clinton with a substantial lead.

Clinton has a 43-percentage-point advantage over Obama, 66 percent to 23 percent, according to a survey from the American Research Group released Friday.

The poll was conducted after Tuesday's primary results and carries a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points.

"This state is really Hillary Clinton's wheelhouse. It's an older population, socially conservative, blue-collar workers," said Kennie Bass, a political reporter for WCHS in West Virginia.

Obama acknowledges that West Virginians favor Clinton.

"She is going to do very well in West Virginia and Kentucky. She will win those states, in all likelihood, by significant margins," Obama said this week.

Obama took a break from the campaign trail Sunday, spending Mother's Day in Chicago, Illinois.

Clinton had three stops scheduled in West Virginia ahead of the primary, and her husband, Bill Clinton, was campaigning for her in Oregon.

1. superdelegate

She will not be Obama's VP because she represents old politics. Most likely it will be Richardson on the ticket.

May 11, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  2. Connie from Ohio

how about a Obama/Edwards ticket?

May 11, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  3. Roland

Hillary has lost this race and it is time for Democrats to rally behind our nominee, Barack Obama. Focus on defeating McCain, ending the war, protecting a woman's right to choose, restoring integrity back to the White House, rebuilding the image of the US in the eyes of the world. Enough of the politics of the past . . . let's move on.

May 11, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  4. Dr. J

It is time for healing and time to move on. We need to united and not be divided.

May 11, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  5. Gina

John Edwards shares Obama's philosophy and style...and Joe Biden is boring but a really good choice (probably for a more "grown up" country than we have now).
    Bill Richardson, not bad, but not so good at debate which is important for a public position.
    I can't wait to find out the vp for Obama.
    It really can't be Hillary. Even though they are so close on the issues, they are sooo different in manner and style. I think they would argue too much to get anything done (even though they would both want it done).
    And both try to outshine each other.

May 11, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  6. piecrust

I will always be for Hillary since she started her campaign and never waivered. Those switching alliances are plain stupid. They vote the way they vote like ala American Idol. I am not voting against Barack because he is black. The country is dealing with too many problems and the guy is a neophyte, and to just give it to Barack will worsen the state of affairs. If you think he's going to change Washington, you all are dreaming. Nothing will change in Washington. I share one sentiment from a Hillary supporter. He says it all:

At this point, the way a former First Lady, and President, has been treated disgracefully by ungrateful democrats, and nasty journalists…forgetting that Clinton was the only successful Democrat in the last 60 years.The McCain jump is not a bluff. I am a lifelong democrat and have already contributed to McCain’s campaign. The Democrats are becoming a bunch of nasty, traitorous, turncoats. McCain and the Republican Party is beginning to look like a breath of fresh air.

May 11, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  7. Reality check!

you uneducated americans! i know hilary has your vote but do the math for once. She can not win. What she is praying for is for Obama to come out of the closet and say " Media you were right! i am a secret muslim and i will enslave the white race."

Do you see how much of a hail marry that is?

Obama will unite the democrats, Its only a matter of time. If you decide to vote for McCain. That is your choice to be "bitter" about the primarys.

May 11, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  8. HD

Obama-Edwards in 2008!

We need real change in Washington and McCain and Clinton are more of the same old people who have been there for 20+ years.

May 11, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  9. Eddie

Maybe,I think that Hillary supporters should revisit Obamas statement about being bitter.Obama is right on the money from the blogs from hillary supporters I am reading.Hillary supporters are mad,angry,bitter,and hateful and we should not forget vengeful.Tell me I am not telling the truth,just prove me wrong.By simply voting for your parties nominee whoever it be,especially when they win by playing by the rules,fair and square.

May 11, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  10. Tab

Why would Obama choose his second place to be a person who does not have confidence that he can do the job. She would be like a nagging mother in law for the entire term of office. She would probably even undermine him , given the chance , so she could say "I told you so."

We already know that they hold similar positions on many issues. But we also know that they operate differently. Obama operates with honor and dignity regardless of the stakes, while Clinton will do anything and say anything to meet her objectives. She is very cut throat. That type of attitude is why America is no longer respected in the world.

An Obama presidency would restore America's political respect in this world.

May 11, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  11. skylark

Get that woman a Valium. Better yet call 911.
    Obama/Napolitano '08

May 11, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  12. Richard

Surely a Democrat not voting for a Democratic presidency is very small minded. Thats the problem with American politics, its all about the individual, and not about the policies or what the party stands for.

May 11, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  13. Brian from Fort Mill, S.C.

Chris Dodd is wrong about everything else, otherwise HE'd be the nominee!

I think Obama should be president, Hillary should be VP, and McCain should be Secretary of State.

May 11, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  14. Ernest

"I'll modify it for Dems" You had me excited for a moment. I thought finally a Clinton supporter was going to justify not voting for the Democratic nominee in Nov because the choice lost with a real substansive answer. However you just embarked on the same hate driven rhetoric toward Sen Obama like everyone else. Please tell us what policy differences you disagree with, and why you think Mccain would be better? I think its sad that Obama can't even enjoy his victory because of sore loosers. He is winning fair and square. He has nothing to do with MI, and FL. Those states didnt want to follow the same rules as everyone else. They were penalized, such is life. I teach my kids if you dont follow the rules and you get caught your in trouble. I guess you and many Clinton supporters feel cheated some how because of this. I hope you guys teach your kids stronger values than "its ok to break the rules as long as it helps you win" I'm glad to say the canidate I voted for has stronger moral beliefs than that.

May 11, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  15. Linda, Kentucky

I became an Obama supporter several months ago, after reading and comparing the policies of each candidate. I simply like his approach better.

However, I often cringe when reading the comments made by other Obama supporters on CNN. You know that's not the kind of language Barack Obama stands for. Let's grow up.

I hope CNN posts this.

May 11, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  16. Dave from Florida

I was starting to come around to an Obama – Clinton ticket UNTIL her statements this week about "hard working american -white americans" Hilary Clinton will stop at nothing in her pursuit for power even to DIVIDE the Democratic Party.

I don't want her on the ticket as our VP, she's done everything in her power to inject race into this process. I voted for President Clinton twice, and thought seriously in the beginning to support Sen. Clinton but after looking at all of the candidates positions on the issues....Sen. Obama had the best plans for our country.

I would rather have Bill Richardson, Ted Strickland, Ed Rendel, Sam Nunn on the ticket. If not for the help of Rush Limbaugh and his listeners in TX. and Indiana....Hilary would've been out of the race now. She has an $ – 11 million campaign debt and GROWING.
    I just hope she pays the small business owners that the Clinton Campaign has stiffed payment in the states she has campaigned in.

Obama 08!!!

May 11, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  17. Peter in Canada

To Hugh in Canada:
    I do not believe she can run as an Independent based on some things in here that I have read(from some with actual knowledge).
    Unlike yourself I think Hillary would be DOA as an Independent since her negative ratings are 62%. She galvanizes Republicans against her like no other person in the US. This is precisely the reason that Obama cannot pick her as a VP, it would be a devastating mistake!
    I don't know how many features you have seen or read concerning the Republicans' preparedness to fight Hillary in a General, but they are/were substantial and elaborate!
    Obama has changed all that and now they are scrambeling to package a "Swift Boat" just for him. They will not be able to package very much on him other than Wright and Ayers, which in my opinion are very lame issues.

May 11, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  18. Kirk

Obama & His Campaign Would Like An Early Clocse To This historic Primary .... They What Us To Beleive They Have Won ..... Truth Is They Haven't ... Hillary Has The Edge Now , And can Win The Primary !!

The fact is millions of Democrats feel exactly like I do, that is why Obama hasn't been able to seal the deal, even after outspending Hillary 4 to 1 state after state.

If all the Wright, Rezko, Ayers issues had been released prior to February ....Obama would of already been out of the race.

However, all those states will get a chance to re-vote again in November and they will remember how Obama was a fraud and misrepresented himself and they are going to VOTE NO OBAMA

May 11, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  19. Rob

let me just say one very important thing:

democrats who will rather vote for mccain than clinton or obama (depending on who their personal favorit is) are even more stupid and more ignorant than the fundamentalist bush voters ....

come on people ... get past your private little whos-best-games and do what will be best for this country ... and this will be a DEMOCRATIC president!!!!!!

May 11, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  20. Steven

I hope not! They would be the Felix and Oscar of politics! Hillary has more than burned that bridge!

May 11, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  21. Andrew Neisler

its over
    the priority has to be focusing on november now or we will all end up with President McBush

May 11, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  22. Tony

Hey H...

A lot of us Obama supporters that wont support Hillary... Well that's because we are Republicans. Obama is the only candidate since Reagan or Kennedy that can truly reach across the aisle and get things done. There are a lot of things in Obama's platform that I disagree with; however, I believe him. I don't think he's just telling folks what they want to hear, I think he tells us what he truly believes. I'll take that any day over smoke being blown up my back side...

I went to the store the other day to by a wind vain... they said they were out, but had some nice Clinton's that did the same thing... Don't buy the BS...

May 11, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  23. George, South Dakota

who would want her?

May 11, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  24. Lawrence

Dodd is indeed correct.

I believe it would be suicide if Obama took on Clinton has his VP. She will undermine him and we cannot have the commander in chief undermined by his second in command.

To those who ostricize him and telling him to shut up, welcome to America. Home of FREE SPEECH! I know this has been a heated campaign and both sides have hurled insults at eachother but they really do not serve anything.

BOTH SIDES ARE GUILTY OF THIS!!

United We Stand and Divided We Fall.

May 11, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  25. Lawrence

And another thing, to those who say that Hillary is going to be the nominee, please look at the numbers and then try and say that with a straight face.

It is not even mathematically possible anymore for her to be the nominee.

May 11, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |