May 11th, 2008

Obama open to joining McCain on trail

Sen. Barack Obama speaks to reporters in Bend, Oregon, Saturday.
Sen. Barack Obama speaks to reporters in Bend, Oregon, Saturday.

BEND, Oregon (CNN) - Sen. Barack Obama said Saturday that if he were to become the Democratic nominee, holding joint town hall-style campaign events with Republican Sen. John McCain would be a "great idea."

"Obviously, we would have to think through the logistics on that," Obama continued. "But ... if I have the opportunity to debate substantive issues before the voters with John McCain, that's something that I am going to welcome."

Recently, advisors to the all-but-certain GOP nominee have said the Arizona senator is open to the idea, and his campaign has touted the fact that he and Democrat Bill Bradley held joint campaign events when the two ran for the presidential nomination in 1999.

“John McCain has repeatedly encouraged these types of appearances with his opponents in the past," McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds said in a statement.

"But in order to extend all due respect to Sen. Clinton, we will look forward to welcoming the arrangements when the Democrats have actually chosen their nominee," Bounds added.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. jaisn, tucson, az

Let's get this straight. Clinton is making an arguement that she can win the general election and Obama can't. Isn't that a bit presumptive considering that she was so sure of herself winning the primary? Look, it looks like unless something major happens, she is going to lose. There is a lot of time and emotion built into both of these campaigns, and while I prefer Obama, I really do feel bad for Clinton. But think of this:

Many of our problems are based on Bush selecting "loyalists" to fill posts in his administration, qualified or not. Clinton did the same thing in her campaign, and while you can argue that it is more the fault of the campaign than the candidate, we see that overstretching the bounds of loyalty does not always yield the best of results.

May 10, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  2. Ilona Proud Canadian

John Smith, (is this really your name)

You forgot one very important point, (I guess you kind of covered it), Remember Sen. Clinton could not run her own campaign, without getting in debt to the tune of $20million plus. How in the name of good common sense is she going to run a Country and be responsible for that Country's Budget?

May 10, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  3. The Write-In Wagon is about to crash!

Those of you writing that WITCHES name down in NOV or encouraging her to go Independent WHO do you think will fund her campaign? You haven't this far, that WITCH is 100MM in DEBT! :o That Witch is dead broke :D

Encourage her and her 'Super delegates' go Independent and WATCH them all lose their seats in November! :o

LOL!!!

THINK for once in your life.

ALL of them will lose their seats in Congress.... hey, maybe that's a good idea after all. Maybe we can get some real democrats with good intentions in Washington and really clean house. Never mind, go forward with your plan :D I need to make a few phone calls for Senate Democratic Candidates across our great Nation. :D

May 10, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  4. StopThinkVote

Hillary supporters voting for McCain:

Go ahead, shoot yourselves in the foot. If, as Hillary says, you really are hard-working, white Americans, aren't your sons and daughters the ones fighting in Iraq? Won't more of them die under a McCain presidency? I'm sure they'll be happy to give their lives to satisfy your discontent.

If you think you'll be better off under a McCain presidency, vote for him. But you'll forfeit the right to complain when nothing improves.

May 10, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  5. I Love....

I absolutely LOVE the 58 Old White ladies for Obama! You guys are great, i read all your blogs, keep it up! YOu go girls!
    Oh and yeah a debate with McCain would be great but another with Hillary and Obama, no I've seen that movie 21 times.

May 10, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  6. M.E. - Oregon

To those of you don't believe it, as a Democrat I am voting for Clinton AND if she is not elected I will support and vote for McCain. So go ahead and continue to snipe, make crude and insulting remarks about Clinton. If that's the type of people that support Obama then he is not the candidate that I want. There would have to be something terribly wrong there is that's the kind of people his campaign attracts. Instead you should be asking for all Dem's to join you. If Hillary doesn't win she will undoubtedly back your candidate. You will need her and her supporters to defeat McCain. I have talked to many others who feel the same way. It's your call big-time Democrats.

May 10, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  7. Hypocrisy

People need to wake up and understand Hillary doesn't have any experience either. Sometimes the greatest presidents never have much experience, like Lincoln.

May 10, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  8. Roger

KAT. I agree with you Bush kind has a bad reputation. I don't see that in McCain.

May 10, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  9. Inevitable

SORRY FOR THE CAPS!!! .... BUT I WANT EVERYONE TO READ THIS!!!!

THOSE DEMOCRATS WHO SAY OBAMA CANNOT BEAT MC CAIN ARE THE SAME ONES WHO WILL VOTE FOR MC CAIN COME NOV >> I'M 100% OF THIS >>>> AM I RIGHT????

IF HILARY ALONGSIDE PRES. CLINTON CANNOT DEFEAT OBAMA (AN INEXPERIENCED CANDIDATE AS MANY OF U SAY) EXPLAIN HOW SHE CAN BEAT MC CAIN

AND THOSE WHO SAY THEY WOULD STAY HOME IF OBAMA IS THE NOMINEE BECAUSE HE CANNOT BEAT MC CAIN ARE IDIOTS >>> WITH YOU BACKING BARACK HE CAN WIN .. 1 VOTE MAKES A DIFFERENT JUST LIKE THE 7 VOTES IN GUAM MADE A DIFFERENCE ...

MANY OF YOU ARE NOW SAYING HE IS RACIST AND WE HAVE LITTLE KNOWLEDGE OF HIM

SHAMELESS PEOPLE .. *SHAKES HEAD*

May 10, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  10. ginger

Hi Kelly,

I realize you are upset but in the future please use a dictionary.

bearings-way of carrying and conducting oneself.

Sen. McCain vowed not to run a negative campaign. He lost his bearings when he attempted to tie Sen. Obama with Hamas. In this instance, he carried himself exactly the opposit of what he stated. So yes he lost his bearings.

May 10, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  11. Shonie

Can we all just get along...LOL

May 10, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  12. Hank in PA

John Smith,

How in the heck do you expect Hillary Clinton to win the black vote against Obama - that is a silly argument. If Obama were white or Hillary were black, the votes would be more evenly divide among AA voters. If they were both Black, I bet Edwards would be the nominee. If they were both white, Clinton. Please don't call me a racist, because I am just making an observation.

Have a nice day, even though I disagree with you.

May 10, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  13. White folks please coming from a white man

Can't wait until it's official that Hillary is out the game. The nation is ready for Obama vs Mccain. For those who will switch parties, you better realize what Mccain stands for like the two judges who he will select.

Obama '08

May 10, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  14. ROTLA

I really hope Obama becomes the dem. candidate and from there president. He is our best choice b/c he is our best choice for this country and the world b/c he is the most appealing. i would love to see Obama to just straight out clean McBush in a debate b/c then the political world would then see the real side of McBush.

May 10, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  15. Kirk

This Michigan Democrat Is Feeling Real Comfortable About Pulling The Lever For Sen. John McCain This Fall . If Hillary Doesn't Get The Nomination !!!!

NO obama !!!!!!!

May 10, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  16. mitchell from arkansaw

this thing is on!i can't wait until obama mops the country with mccain!i'm making good use of my stimulus check,by donating it to obama's campaign.i think it's a good way to make the most out of it,by making certain that change takes place,and our troops are withdrawn from iraq.our sons and daughters are counting on us to take them out of harm's way.i want them taken care of when they return.

May 10, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  17. Kentucky Mary

John Smith, I wanted tell you that I too hope that Hillary Clinton will run as an Independent. I would love to here that come out of her mouth.

Hillary, your American people support is still solidly with you. So this Presidential Bid doesn't entirely sit in the hands of the Superdelegates. Remember that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 10, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  18. Joe in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been a Hillary Clinton supporter since she started her run for the White House. I voted for her in the Arizona Primary and feel she is the best candidate to win the White House this Fall.

Today, I heard the comments made by Mr. Obama in Bend, OR. I can whole heartedly support Barack Obama for the nomination now. This speech hit a spot with me. I believe what he said. Oh, I hope, we, the American people, won't be duped or played by another politician like we have been almost through my entire life...Nixon, Ford, Carter (the man had good intentions, he just didn't understand politics, the phoney Reagan years, Bush the first and the current Bush who is an abomination.

We can't do everything, but we SHOULD try to do some things very well.

Joe
    Scottsdale, AZ

May 10, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  19. Gringo

TO KELLY
    You hit the nail on the head. Thanks.

May 10, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  20. Oregon For Obama

To all you Hillary people! Just one question. Are you going to follow her to the polls when she, Bill and Chelsea vote for Obama?????????????

May 10, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  21. Dewtrell

To all of you Hillary supporters who say they won't vote for Obama... what a bunch of sore losers you people are. Good, stay home! Obama has raised more money, has more of the popular vote and has more elected delegates WITHOUT YOU PEOPLE!

If you guys want to vote against your own best interest for McCain who'll continue the Bush years, then all of you are a bunch of cry baby idiots and deserve what you get. When Roe v Wade is overturned, don't come on here complaining about McCain, when you people are denied healthcare, don't come here to complain, when you people have your homes taken away, don't come here to complain, when you're paying $4.50 a gallon, don't come here, and when this war continues and more young men and women die, don't come here to complain. SUCK IT UP!

May 10, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  22. Karen G

You people that are supporting obama just sound like a bunch of children, you are either idiots or uneducated. Why don't some of you reread your post,and see how imature they sound. We that support Clinton, support her because we believe in her , and believe me we will switch over to McCain if obama is the nominee.This is not a threat most of us are really serious. We just don't like the guy or the things he stands for, has nothing to do with race altough a lot of you would like to believe that it is.

May 10, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  23. The Write-In Wagon just lost one wheel !

Just got off the phone with a democratic senate candidate and he's on board with the plan. Please tell Hillary the Gimmick Candidate :) to run as an Independent, encourage her Super Delegates to switch parties and WATCH the Democrats EAT YOU UP ALIVE! All the old guards will be in the Independent Party where we can round them up and with one clean sweep..... kick them out of Washington in November :D

Great game play!

Let's Roll !!!! :o

May 10, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  24. kathy in ohio

sure he is all for it now..............unless the questions are to hard and then he will get mad at the kids in the neighborhood and take his ball and go home............this will be a circus in the fall

May 10, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  25. Hillary or McCain

McCain doesn't need a debate. He already won. 100% of his and Hillary's supporters will vote for him.

McCain