May 11th, 2008

Religious right leaning toward Democrats?

CNN

Watch how evangelicals are reaching out.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - For decades, evangelicals have been seen as solid supporters of the Republican Party. That could be changing.
The religious right, a cornerstone of the so-called Reagan revolution - the battle over abortion law, and gay marriage - wants a change.

At least some evangelicals do.

A group of influential Christian leaders are declaring they are tired of divisive politics, tired of watching fights over some issues trump all the good they could be doing.

"Our proposal in [our] manifesto is to join forces with all those who support a civil public square. ... a vision of public life in which people of all faiths - which, of course, means no faith - are free to enter and engage public life on the basis of their faith," said evangelical leader Os Guinness.

For Democrats, the timing is good. The party has been pushing to overcome the "faith gap," that many feel has hurt them with church-going voters.

Read more here

1. HANEEFAH

This is because they know who is telling the truth to the people of America. America truly wants change and we are tired of the lies that Senator Clinton and McCain are spewing all over national television and radio. It is time tostop the negative/racist campaigning by Senators Clinton and McCain and if anyone brought up McCains age it was the people in his campaign. Go Senator Obama with your honesty, trustworthyness and truthfulness.

Haneefah
    Stone Mountain, GA

May 11, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  2. Venus

Come on over! Welcome!

Here we go Obama!

Notice how many people are starting to say they are tired of some of the ugly things we are doing to each other in this great country?

Go Bam!

May 11, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  3. Walt, Belton,TX

Good riddance!

May 11, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  4. Kim

Yes it is true. I am a Christian White Republican who is voting for Barrack Obama. The Republicans offered me nothing of interest this time around. I also cannot support hillary who said in an interview that her Church affiliation is not an issue. I fear that Hillary worships only Power.

May 11, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  5. The O

Wow look what the Obama movement has started. Nothing more then a new revolution in our country to bring all people together of all faiths and races and creeds. Look what one man can do who has been brave, honest, and resolute. To try and change our politics and our country. This is why I have supported Obama from day one and I will support him till the end....

BARACK THE VOTE!!!!!!!!

May 11, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  6. Mike

I used to hope for an Obama/Hillary Dream Ticket. But now, after Hillary has sank to such low tactics as race baiting and fear mongering. trying to fool voters that only she can get the white vote. Even after Obama drew such white voter support in Texas, Iowa and Indiana. Hillary's reputation is severly damaged. she has now become a liability to the Democrats.

May 11, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  7. Billy from Fl

This is a great step forward for both parties.

I doubt very much that they will be voting for Obama and his
    beliefs with Rev Wright. As a christian and I embrace all
    faiths, I will never vote for Obama as I truly still believe he is
    very much connected to Wright.

May 11, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  8. No Reservations

So the Evangelical will cut his nose to spite his face? I'm a moderate Democrat who will not vote for a radical leftist like Obama so maybe people like me will cancel those lunatics who will abandon John McCain. McCain 2008!!!!

May 11, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  9. jimmy velman

EXACTLY AND FOR HILLARY CLINTON.

May 11, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  10. Independent

Religion is a personal choice. If the Conservative Christian Coalition wants to move towards democrats, that would be great, as long as they accept the fact that each individual has the right to choose what is right for them, and do not try to force their beliefs on anyone else.

May 11, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  11. Bruce Taylor, Berkeley, CA

SENATOR OBAMA IS AHEAD OF SENATOR CLINTON IN THE SUPERDELEGATE COUNT ACCORDING TO EVERY MEDIA SOURCE EXCEPT CNN.
    DEAR CNN – IT IS TIME FOR YOU TO CATCH UP WITH REAL TIME, NOT TRY TO MAKE YOUR OWN

May 11, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  12. jimmy velman

SO, THE DREAM TEAM OF OBAMA-CLINTON TICKET WILL COME ABOUT AFTER ALL THE NAYSAYERS...A CERTAIN VICTORY FOR THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY WHICH HAS BROKEN ALL RECORDS
    IN NUMBERS OF NEW AND YOUNG VOTERS

May 11, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  13. ed fl

WE HAVE ENOUGH SCREWBALLS IN OUR OWN PARTY WITHOUT THOSE RELIGIOUS NUTS A LONG TIME DEMOCRAT

May 11, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  14. Democratic Unity

Welcome to the winning team!

BUT

Check the crappy Christian rock music at the door. "You're not making religion better, you're just making rock and roll worse." – Hank Hill

May 11, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  15. SLO Bear

Besides taking care of the poor, having the Obama's marriage, which appears to be a genuine one, as an example should resonate with Christians not tricked by the Republicans' masterful politics of division.

May 11, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  16. Bucks County

Are you kidding me? You want divisiveness just read the blogs here. The Dems are fractured and just like humpty dumpty,we can't put them back together again. I also find it extremely difficult to believe the RR would ever elect the far left liberals who champion gay rights, women's rights,late term abortions,etc.

May 11, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  17. Mary Lee Atlanta,GA

Praise God from whom all blessings flow ...

Obama 08

May 11, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  18. The Black Value System--------Do you believe this Obama?

Google the Trinity United Church of Christ website and read their mission statement labeled "The Black Value System".

If this is what Obama believes the democratic party is in for a LONG fall. Questions abound and they will not go away.

May 11, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  19. Stacy from Illinois

They won't get my vote. The last thing I want to see are more liberal judges appointed to the Supreme Court. Haven't enough babies been found guilty of being an "inconvenience" and put to death? I will just hold my nose and vote McCain.

May 11, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  20. georgia

God created one race,Human ,made up of many cultures & ethnicities. How many claiming to be Christian deny this for so long is beyond me. That denial keeps us on a destructive path. United we stand, divided we continue to fall. United we find constuctive inclusive resolutions that benefit all including our planet.

May 11, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  21. Joe

This is the reason Obama will win the general election. It's the reason why he has all but locked up the Democratic nomination.

The Hillary camp and supporters have been trying to mask the statistics, but since the Iowa caucuses Obama has been able to draw in voters from various demographics. Getting the independents, young people, religious groups, and some republicans to swing to the left wing will be the difference maker this November.

May 11, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  22. citizenwells

Have you seen the Reverend Manning video?

May 11, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  23. Thank GOD

ITS ABOUT TIME WE STOP BEING SOOOOO CLOSED MINDED AS SO-CALLED 'CHILDREN OF GOD' OF OTHERS OPINIONS AND START TO RESPECT OTHER BELIEFS AND WORK TO MAKE POSITIVE CHANGE HAPPEN.

BARACK OBAMA HAS HELPED START A MUCH NEEDED MOVEMENT. HOPEFULLY, HILLARY AND HER SUPPORTERS WILL SEE THE BIG PICTURE AND HELP BE A SOLUTION TO A PROBLEM INSTEAD OF BEING THE FUEL TO THE FIRE!

DEMOCRATES 08

May 11, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  24. Carmen Irizarry

America Wake Up! Obama is the Pied Piper of Hameln. Connect the dots...Obama should be held to the same scrutiny as everyone else.
    where are all the donations coming from?

May 11, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  25. Lori

I am so sick of the media implying that people who haven't been to college aren't "smart enough" to make educated decisions about the candidates running for President. That they can only base their decisions on who can bowl a better game or can drink enough shots. I am 36 years old and I'm just now finishing up my college degree, and it is highly offensive to me that I've been "downplayed" to. I've made up my mind who I'm voting for and it's not based on the person who is playing basketball with a college team or having drinks in a local pub. You want to change how Presdential elections are run? Then start by treating the American people with a little more respect news media!

May 11, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |