May 11th, 2008

Sunday Roundup: End of the road for Clinton?

ALT TEXT

(CNN) - This week’s Democratic primaries in North Carolina and Indiana brought disappointing results for the Clinton campaign. Senator Barack Obama handily won North Carolina by 14 points. While Senator Hillary Clinton edged out a win in Indiana, it was by just two points. Many political observers expected she would win handily.

After Tuesday’s results, several more superdelegates publicly endorsed Obama. Others have switched their vote from Clinton to the Illinois senator, including former senator and presidential nominee George McGovern.

With all these events in mind, the question of the week remains: Does Hillary Clinton have a chance to win the nomination, and if not, why hasn’t she dropped out? The Sunday morning circuit digs deep to find answers.

(Full roundup after the jump)

On CBS’ “Face the Nation”, former Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards stopped short of calling for Sen. Clinton to drop out of the race, but told host Bob Schieffer “The math is very, very hard for her.” He contrasted his own decision to bow out of the race, explaining that he thought “if I got out of the race, it would accelerate the process of one person pulling away. Well, I was obviously dead wrong about that.”

***********

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid stopped by ABC’s “This Week” to discuss the race to the White House. He defended Clinton staying in the race, telling ABC’s George Stephanopoulos, “I think we have to play this out.” Sen. Reid (D-NV) is confident there’s plenty of time for the Democrats to finish out the primaries and campaign in the general election. “After that June 3rd date arrives, I think that Obama and Clinton will have a few days to make their case to the uncommitted delegates, and then the decision will be made, and we'll have a five-month general election.”

************

Fox News Sunday” had back-to-back interviews with two top insiders of the Clinton and Obama campaigns: Clinton strategist Howard Wolfson and Obama strategist David Axelrod. “I don't think she wants to impair our chances” of winning the general election, Axelrod told Fox’s Chris Wallace. However, Axelrod maintains that “we're coming to the end of the process.” Wolfson reiterated Senator Clinton’s position that she has no intention of dropping out of the race anytime soon. “She's going to keep going until she secures the nomination or until the nomination is decided in a different direction,” Wolfson said.

************

And on CNN’s “Late Edition” Maryland Rep. Chris Van Hollen, who chairs the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, was asked if thought the race was effectively over. “Obama is clearly the frontrunner here,” Van Hollen said. “But until it's finally over, it's not over. And we'll just have to see how this plays out.” Congressman Van Hollen has declared himself neutral in this race.

1. kaz

What chance, let her enjoy few more days.

May 11, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  2. Les

clinton, please go back into your hole

thanks

biden 08 ok ok obama 08

May 11, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  3. GT in CA

It's over Hillary. Let the healing begin.

May 11, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  4. Ratgurl

How is it even a question? Of course it's the end of the road... and her meltdown brings back images of Brittany Spears right before she shaved her head. I ALMOST feel sorry for her. She needs to recoup.

May 11, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  5. Jeanne

I doubt she has the sense to stop. I expect her to keep fighting all the way through the convention.

I hope Obama picks a VP (NOT Clinton) that is moderate to conservative that the Clinton supporters will be happy with. I really believe he has rightly earned the nomination.

May 11, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  6. avoter

Who is Larry Sinclair?

May 11, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  7. Jenny

Obama's supporters are so mean. They turn me off.

May 11, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  8. Tyler in Raleigh, NC

This race ended in March, its the cronies that owe the Clintons favors and money that keep this an issue. If Obama, Dodd, Edwards or anyone else was in her position they would have left long ago.

Look at Edwards, he could have clung on until late February or maybe even until now.... but he bowed out when the math made it impossible.

Clinton has it impossible, but the media and her belief that she is owed the spot and that the rules and math will be changed for her keeps her trying.

May 11, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  9. a little sad

Bridgette – PA May 11th, 2008 4:53 pm ET

"However, God has spoken now and we all know that Barack is the nominee."

Looks to me like God hasn't made up his mind.

May 11, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  10. Creek Freedmen

Lets get this straight, Obama would have told DR. Martin Luther King, that he does not agree with Mississippi's Jim Crow laws, but the US government should not get involved. He would have told Dr. King, I feel your pain, but I really don't understand your arguement because my African ancestry never experience American slavery.
    Obama have said to the more than one hundred thousand Indian negroes that your history does not matter. I will allow the tribes to make you ware a badge of slavery.
    Up until this moment I was a supporter of Obama. NO MORE! I just tore his bumper sticker off my car. I will send emails and make phone calls to everyone I know. NO VOTE for BARACK!

May 11, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  11. Tn

ALL for her just about $$$$$$

May 11, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  12. Everyman

The failures of the Clinton Campaign rest solely on Clinton’s shoulders. Although, I’m not actually a Clinton supporter due in large part to the fact that I believe the framers of the constitution got it right when they spelled out term limitations. These term limitations should include spouses as a way to limit powerful family’s subversion of the rules. I hope America will never stand for thinly veiled theocracies. Futhermore, with all that said, as an independent; I believe that all Senator Clinton would have had to have said in the beginning was that the former president and she had made some mistakes, but learning from those mistakes they would apply all the knowledge experience had to offer towards making a better union for all Americans. But unfortunately she chose different. Senator Clinton chose to rant about her day one experience, lie about her battle field exploits, and disown a lot of the very initiatives she championed. This nomination was Senator Clinton’s to lose and she is doing her best to lose it. All her supporters have to acknowledge this fact, If those supporters have any since of integrity they have to cringe at the desperate attempts to foil the DNC’s hopes of winning in November if she is not the nominee, those supporters have to be worried by money lobbyist threatening Rep. Pelosi, And even if you hate African Americans for what ever reason you have to be concerned by someone using that button to push you while at the same time calling you uneducated. Sometimes the proof is in the pudding, and considering the past year without emotion it is hard to imagine that any Democrat would not acknowledge that Senator Obama has run a phenomenal campaign.

Observing the current Democratic problems I wonder if this is what our fore fathers where trying to avoid by introducing term limits; an individual (family) so powerful that they could tank a party, and maybe the country. The rules are greater than Senator Clinton!

May 11, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  13. dwayne

Hillary wants that White House sooooo bad. She's had a taste of that power. She's had a taste of that bloody meat, now she can't resist it. She starts salavating when ever she hears the word White House...be careful of what you wish for people.

May 11, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  14. Frank

Sad everyone know it's over but Hillary.I would like to know how the DNC cheated her? And now all the Hillies say that they will not vote for Obama.That just goes to show how childish they are,I've always backed Obama from day one.But if she won I would have voted for her,because I would put the party first.

May 11, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  15. Ron R

I don't trust the Clintons....be prepared for a last ditch effort to discredit Barack

May 11, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  16. Ardnuas

She is trying to help McCain win, so she can run again in 4 years.... These are not the Clintons from the 90's.... or maybe we just REFUSE to see the REAL Clintons.
    Obama/Edwards08

May 11, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  17. REGAN DEMOCRAT

IT MAY GOODBYE CLINTON NOW, BUT IN NOVEMBER IT WILL BE GOODBYE OBAMA.

May 11, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  18. moo moo

bye bye hillary

May 11, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  19. MC

Hillary should have won a long, long time ago . . . she got screwed over big time . . . the whole thing makes me sick . . . and there is NO WAY I'll vote for Obama in the general . . . no way.

May 11, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  20. Tasha S.

I have been reading post after post on this blog and I am very disappointed in the many comments. I am a strong Obama supporter. I have nothing negative to say about Senator Clinton. And if she happens to win the nomination, YES! I am standing behing her because I know that Obama would support her! This country is in serious need of change. Hillary supporters, if she were not to win this nomination, I am sure that she will continue to stand behind Obama so that this country could forge ahead and we start working on new policies so that our troops can come home, people making under 100,000 dollars do no have to pay more in taxes than the wealthy, etc. Why would you vote for McCain if HIllary does not win? Think about your children's future, your future, the security of this nation. This is not about emotions! Hillary and Obama really share the same views. I urge you to please do not allow racist views and fear dictate how you will vote. I am very proud that this man has really brought people together. Now, just because you have people hiding in these blogs spreading hate, that does not represent him. I am an African American woman who is also a very hard working mother who want the best for this entire country. I truly want people to ask themselves to look at the next four years and how this could possibly affect you, your parents, your chilren, and your job if you vote for McCain. I am also an Officer in the U.S.A.R. Please, I urge you to make a decision out of the best judgement, not emotion. WE OWE IT TO OUR TROOPS who fight day in and day out and have to come home for a few months before being called back. That could be your neighbors son.

I am sure that the thought of having a biracial President scares the hell out of many of you voters. I am sure. You would actually rather have our country run another Bush term than to have everyone unite and benefit from new polices? I love this country more than many of you do. This is our only hope for true change. You will be suprised to know that you will prosper so much from making the best decision more than you know. Hillary supporters, I agree with you. Let's let her continue this race. This is not the only race that has gone this far. But please do not make the fatal mistake of voting independent is she does not win. Fatal mistake. Our troops will be staying another 4 more years, this U.S. of A. will suffer greatly and we will be in grave danger all because someone did not want a black President? C'Mon guys. you are intelligent voters. When you see the candidates, look past race and gender. look at the way we will benefit from their policies.
    I am a young voter (33). All I have ever dreamed of was someone who could lead this country and bring people together. When Bush ran, this country was so divided. it was black against whites, church goers and non churchgoers. now, it not that way. more people have gotten out to vote. I know it may seem like the Dems are devided, but that is not the case. If he could bring people together the way he has, that is a very good thing because that shows that he will be fair in his decisions and very diplomatic. We need someone like that to talk to these countries when there are foreign policy issues. He has brought in more white votes contrary to what the media reports. whites love him, blacks, white men, hard workers. He is very ideal for the White House. Thank you!!!

May 11, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  21. Realistic

Hillary is staying in it to pay off her campaign debts. Donate now!

The sad thing is that hidden Repub/NeoCon websites like hillaryis44.com and Taylor Marsh are trying to convince Clinton voters not to vote for Barack, even though Hillary herself has said on many occasions that she will rally around the Democratic candidate.

May 11, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  22. Immaculata from Houston, Tx

God Bless you Barack Obama, our next president of the United States of America!

May 11, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  23. Blaising

It's the end of the road for you Rodham (rhymes with saddam...coincidence?).

Put your hands where we can see them and back away fron the Crown Royal...

Get out...

May 11, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  24. Frankie

I wish John Edwards had stayed in the race. Neither Clinton nor Obama would have anything to attack him on and right now he'd probably be winning or at least closer to being able to seriously challenge than Clinton is. He would be winning those "white Americans" (specifically white males) Hillary likes to talk about. Too bad the Democratic party broke off into teams so quickly. Women vs African Americans, uneducated whites vs educated whites and old vs young.

The white guy never had a chance simply because he was male and white.

That being said, I'm glad Obama is getting the nomination.

May 11, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  25. Ben in TX

A look inside Texas- My wife and I are both Obama delegates elected to our state convention. HRC had 6 of 20 delegates from my Senate District. Two of those six have swiched to Obama this past week. Texas delegates are up for grabs. When the results are finalized on June 7th the math will be impossible even with MI and FL. I wouldn't count out Texas in the general election. Ron Paul has a very strong following throughout the state. He could be the Nader of the Rupblican Party.

May 11, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |