May 11th, 2008

Young Democrat brings superdelegate race to a tie

Barack Obama picked up his 273rd superdelegate endorsement Sunday.
Barack Obama picked up his 273rd superdelegate endorsement Sunday.

(CNN) – A Young Democrats of America board member threw her support to Sen. Barack Obama on Sunday, bringing Obama to a tie with Sen. Hillary Clinton in the superdelegate race.

Crystal Strait, 28, became the 273rd superdelegate in Obama's column, by CNN's count. Clinton had 273 Sunday as well - technically 273.5 because of some Democrats Abroad superdelegates who are given half a vote each.

Obama holds a large enough lead among pledged delegates that many believe Clinton's presidential aspirations for 2008 are virtually over.

But neither candidate is expected to have the 2,025 total delegates to win, so superdelegates - elected representatives and other party insiders given seats the party's convention - will ultimately award the nomination. A flood of superdelegate endorsements for Obama could effectively end the
Democratic race.

The Obama campaign, in a written statement Sunday, called Strait "the 276th superdelegate to endorse Obama." Campaigns and various news organizations have slightly different counts, based on conversations with superdelegates and other factors.

"Barack Obama has shown a real commitment to young voters in his campaign and in response young people have overwhelmingly voted and caucused for Obama in these primary contests," Strait said in a written statement.

"We know that if a young person votes three times in a row for a party, they become a party voter for life. We know that because of high youth turnout in 2004 and 2006, 2008 is the third and critical election for young voters. And that's why I know I want to pledge my delegate vote to Barack Obama."

Nationwide, young Democratic voters have overwhelmingly supported Obama.

Strait was formerly the president of California Young Democrats. Clinton won this year's Democratic primary in California 52-43. CNN exit polls showed Clinton edged Obama out among the youngest voters age 18 to 24. Among California voters 18 to 29, both Clinton and Obama got 49 percent.

1. R.

Way to go Carol Strait, welcome to the winning team. Now for those of you not voting for Obama because of his race remember that if McCain wins the election and your still paying high prices at the pump, jobs leaving the country, and no health care. So don't complain when your are in the same postion you are now, simply because you would rather strave than vote for a black canidate. Idiots.

May 11, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  2. white woman for Obama

Thank you Ms. Strait and we hope that more of your members come forth for Senator Obama. I think we will have an amazing campaign against Mccain and I truly believe that Obama will make an incredible president. I am looking forward, with hope, to November and the moment Obama is announced President of the United States Of America.

May 11, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  3. virginialiving

KEYWORD: Young, inexperienced, not yet filled with reality of life.

May 11, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  4. Dr. J

It is time to come together as a Democratic party and beat McCain.

May 11, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  5. STOP THE MADNESS

The youth of our nation has stepped to the plate and made a wise decision.

That's straight!

Way to go youth of America!!

May 11, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  6. Latina4Obama

history will show you made not the right or wrong but BEST choice..........

Obama 08

May 11, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  7. MD

If a presidential candidate prides herself in getting votes from the uneducated, and has been unable to fool the rest of the population, she would never win an election in this country.

May 11, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  8. Charlotte

Keep fighting, where would we women be if Susan B had give up the fight? I'm with you all the way. I will write your name on my ballot in November. I will never vote for Obama and his hateful supporters. I don't care if Mccain wins. He is a decent man and not a staunch Republician. The Republicians have tried to overturn Roe v Wade for years, without success. Don't let that scare tatic work, to elect a totally unprepared candidate.

May 11, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  9. NICK, HOUSTON

YD's REPRESENT!!!

May 11, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  10. Joyce in Florida

This race is not over yet Senator Obama. Hillary is a fighter and will stay in all the way to the convention if need be. Your so-called speeches during your campaign are just that; empty words of promises that you have no idea of what or how you can achieve them. You have no experience Senator Obama. We all know that Hillary Clinton is the most qualified candidate to run against John McCain. We have had enough negativity from you and your campaign. You have torn the democratic party apart. You and YOU alone!!! You are only thinking of yourself and always have. We are not stupid. We see it and know it just by your facial expressions and body language. The young people are so mesmerized and fascinated and it appears almost on the brink of brainwashing. I know, I was young once. I will not fall for anything you have to say. Time for you to let Hillary Clinton run against John McCain. If not, it definitely will be another Bush administration. GO HILLARY 08!!!!!!!!!

May 11, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  11. Ted:Canada

Young Voters Are the Future.
    There are enough people stick stuck in the past. Hanging on to what did not work.
    Go with the Future.
    The Past will get you no where FAST!

Obama and the well educated know the reality of what China can become – not only a economic power but a military power.

It will take a new generation of briliant minds to place North America back on top. The Future is about changing world economics.

Obama is better equiped to deal with the future than McCain is!!!

We need a new generation of brilliant minds to take over not old war heros! The criteria to suceed in the new world has changed!

May 11, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  12. MI 4 Obama!

Welcome to the Obama train!

OBAMA 08 & 12!

May 11, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  13. Ron L

BARACK WILL BE THE CANDIDATE..AND THEN PRESIDENT.

The Super Delegates CAN NOT support Hillary for 2 reasons...

1) She will be behind in Pledged and Super Delegates..

2) Her METHODS during this contest have been insulting, dIvisive, and showed a general lack of CHARACTER...

SHE'S THE PAST... AND THE PEOPLE IN NEW YORK SHOULD MAKE SURE SHE LOSES WHEN SHE RUNS FOR REELECTION.

I lost all respect for her in the last 3 months

May 11, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  14. Andy B

Delegates, Superdegates and the eletoral is such a farce. It mocks the constitution of the United Staes. The President and Goverment is supposed to be by the people and for the people. Not by the electoral, delegates or super delegates.

The U.S. election process is a FARCE. No wonder America is owned by the middle east and China.

May 11, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  15. Jane

Unfortunately, in all of the races noted that young voters have participated, we haven't had a Democrat win the presidency. I think, aside from race playing a key role (in states where there are high numbers of black voters, he is always repdicted to win long before the promary is held. It's a given. It's obvious.) in why Obama has won in certain areas, that young folks just don't get it. Looking back to when I was a freshman in college, I was so unrealistic about poliics and what was happening in the world. I had never had to purchase my own health insurance, never had to worry about getting or losing a job, never worried about access to education, and more. So, I never understod the ramifications of my vote. Peer pressure played into who I casted a vote for at the time. I think many young voters are enthralled with the idea of this young candidate who happens to be a good speaker (not debater). It's almost as though they are voting this way as a sort of rebellion against the establishment. Considering that Obama "won" his position in the senate by default and has not casted yes or no votes on a number of issues, I find it difficult to understand how anyone could think he is the best candidate for the office of the President.

May 11, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  16. robb

So is there anything left for her to argue she has a lead in? I guess that about wraps it up.

May 11, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  17. 58 white old ladies for OBAMA

WE RESENT THAT. JUST KIDDING. THE YOUNGEST OF US IS 59.

THAT'S NOT OLD BUT WE ARE NOT YOUNG & BY

THE LORD'S GRACE WE WILL ALL BE AROUND TO

WATCH THE OBAMA INAUGURATION. LOTS OF US OLD

FOLKS LOVE HIM. HE OUR PRESIDENT TO BE, AS WELL.

May 11, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  18. Kentucky

Well the latest from the Clinton camp is that the popular vote and the delegates do not count. All that matters is the swing state of West Virgina. This should determine the democratic candidate.

May 11, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  19. Al

People are wondering where Obama's donations are coming from. My family donated $75 to Obama. At no other time in my life have I donated to a presidential campaign.

Obama 09

May 11, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  20. J.Jackson

I respect both Senator Hillary Clinton and Senator Barack Obama. I think now it is the time that Senator stop continueing the Race.

There is no way mathematically that Senator H. Clinton will win to
    be nominated for the Democratic Party to 2008 Election even if Mechigan and Florida will be accepted to June 6 new primary Election. I am sure both States Senator Obama will win if they will
    set a new date for Candidates to Votes, but will divide the party which is benefit to Senator Jihn McCain.

For the Young Democratic as Strait, it is opportunity to the party to have young people involvement. It is appropriate time from Ms. Strait to give her vote as a Superdelegate to Senator Obama.

It is time that Senator Clinton to get out from the Race.

May 11, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  21. PR

The young should lead us...

May 11, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  22. Morgan

I'm a relatively young voter (30), and I think I lean towards Obama because I want the Democrats to have a fresh start. A lot of what Hillary has been saying on the campaign trail seems like it was taken straight of a speech that could have been given by Walter Mondale, Michael Dukakis, or John Kerry. I don't think Obama can be categorized according to the traditional left-right grid of partisan politics. The laws he has proposed have involved more negotiation with businesses than labor unions and traditional Democratic politicos like, but at the same time he isn't willing to sell out US workers like Bill Clinton did in his free trade deals of the mid-nineties.

Obama has been hanging out with church people long before it became trendy for Democrats to do so (and he didn't hand-pick politically correct church people to hang out with either). When he and Hillary were in that faith forum, he didn't have anything to prove. While Hillary reiterated five different times that her mother read her Bible stories when she was little, Obama just said that he does what he does because he believes "the good news."

Bill Clinton campaigned to the left and then made decisions in office to the right. The free trade deals such as NAFTA that he negotiated have had at least as much negative impact on our livelihood today as the Iraq war, if not more. Even Hillary admits this much. I've had a Bush or a Clinton in the White House for two-thirds of my life, and I'm tired of it.

Obama to me represents the possibility of having a government that comes together to develop solutions rather than one which focuses on finding the hypocrisies and mistakes of the other side. The biggest bankruptcy of American politics is that somehow it became okay not to have any good ideas as long as you could prove that your opponent had a shady background or had contradicted him/herself in the past.

I could live with Hillary as a candidate. I'd be really interested to know why Hillary supporters say they'll change parties or move to Canada if Obama gets the nomination. The reason people think you're racist is that you never give a reason. You just type OBAMA WILL NEVER GET MY VOTE in all-caps. Don't you realize that makes you look ignorant? The other thing that annoys me about American politics is that we turn into sports fans rooting for our team rather than trying to understand the "other side." I'd actually like to understand.

I don't think I'm going to change my mind but writing something rational that's not in all-caps would go a lot further to that end than spewing out some hysterical nonsense.

May 11, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  23. Rosita

Congrats President Obama!

May 11, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  24. LOL

Ding dong the witch is dead!!!

May 11, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  25. Brian

Go Obama lead the change wave

May 11, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |