May 11th, 2008

Young Democrat brings superdelegate race to a tie

Barack Obama picked up his 273rd superdelegate endorsement Sunday.
Barack Obama picked up his 273rd superdelegate endorsement Sunday.

(CNN) – A Young Democrats of America board member threw her support to Sen. Barack Obama on Sunday, bringing Obama to a tie with Sen. Hillary Clinton in the superdelegate race.

Crystal Strait, 28, became the 273rd superdelegate in Obama's column, by CNN's count. Clinton had 273 Sunday as well - technically 273.5 because of some Democrats Abroad superdelegates who are given half a vote each.

Obama holds a large enough lead among pledged delegates that many believe Clinton's presidential aspirations for 2008 are virtually over.

But neither candidate is expected to have the 2,025 total delegates to win, so superdelegates - elected representatives and other party insiders given seats the party's convention - will ultimately award the nomination. A flood of superdelegate endorsements for Obama could effectively end the
Democratic race.

The Obama campaign, in a written statement Sunday, called Strait "the 276th superdelegate to endorse Obama." Campaigns and various news organizations have slightly different counts, based on conversations with superdelegates and other factors.

"Barack Obama has shown a real commitment to young voters in his campaign and in response young people have overwhelmingly voted and caucused for Obama in these primary contests," Strait said in a written statement.

"We know that if a young person votes three times in a row for a party, they become a party voter for life. We know that because of high youth turnout in 2004 and 2006, 2008 is the third and critical election for young voters. And that's why I know I want to pledge my delegate vote to Barack Obama."

Nationwide, young Democratic voters have overwhelmingly supported Obama.

Strait was formerly the president of California Young Democrats. Clinton won this year's Democratic primary in California 52-43. CNN exit polls showed Clinton edged Obama out among the youngest voters age 18 to 24. Among California voters 18 to 29, both Clinton and Obama got 49 percent.

1. Yoans California

I have been in state only four years. I am from east africa.however it is not my first time following up Ameirca election. I just want to congragilate the Young Americans who have change American histroy by finding their voice heared. You have done outstanding job.
    You have inspired your parenst and grand parents
    Congrgilation to all of you. I hope Obama stick with you all the way. You deserve it.

May 11, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  2. Sebastian

I reviewed Hillary's powerpoint presentation that was sent to 800 superdelegates. It's poorly done and the message / argument is pretty weak. That's why this latest SD defected.

It's not "fair" but unfortunately, Hillary's negatives were high from the very start. So many Americans (Independents & Republicans) formed their opinions of her long ago. There was a "right wing conspiracy" and it may have been part of sullying the best woman candidate to come along in a while.

Obama can recover from the negatives Hillary has facilitated in this nasty campaign. Wes Clark for Veep counter's McCain in the South and his POW status. Hillary get's the new Poverty Czar post ... something she says she's cared about for her 30 years of public service.

May 11, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  3. Maxx

Thank you, Crystal Strait You have sent a big message to the world,and will go down in history. I hope this support from a woman on Mothers day, will help narrow the gender gap and Clintons supporters will see the light.

May 11, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  4. obamakat

Way to come up, crystal!
    Barack udaaaaah!

May 11, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  5. Independent99999

Congrats President Obama.

May 11, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  6. B

ITs over Hilary. Get out you loser

May 11, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  7. uchenna

Welcome aboard.

OBAMA 08!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 11, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  8. Obama Believer

Go Obama! Keep it up. Stay positive and be the uniter we know you will be.

NO MORE BUSH/REPUBLICANS

DEMOCRATES UNITE!!!!

May 11, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  9. Glenn

Why is CNN lagging behind all the other media outlets on this story? All the media (CBS, ABC, NBC, MSNBC,and even Fox) over twenty-four hours ago showed Obama not tied but leading Hillary. I forgot CNN is Clinton News Network.

May 11, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  10. Proudly Independent

The super delegates are going to continually go towards Obama. Clinton really has no strong arguments to sway them her way. Having said that Clinton has every right to stay in the race through the last primary. As far as Michigan and Florida goes there will be a deal struck to seat their delegates at the convention. Clinton will get more delegates than Obama but there will not be a big difference in pledged delegates from Michigan and Florida between Clinton and Obama. The delegates should be seated but there should not be a recount. Rewarding bad behavior by Michigan and Florida officials should not occur. I would punish Michian and Florida further but not providing any Democratic or Republican National Campaign money to any elected official in Florida and Michigan for a period of 2 years. Therefore, June 3rd or shortly thereafter the Democratic primary campaign should be over. The focus should then shift to the general election campaign.

May 11, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  11. e forrest

in N Z a vote was taken for people to say who they would vote for . obama won, i believe uk people feel the same way, its true the eyes of the world are on america, seems a decent, honest, charismatic man is favoured everywhere, come on superdelegates do the deed ,
    by the way n z is next to australia if you dont know where we are on the map, L O L

May 11, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  12. Nikita D. Williams

Young 273rd superdelegate thank you for endorsing Barack!

May 11, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  13. Shannon

They may nominate him, but millions of Democrats will never vote for this hate filled campaign...good luck in the general

Hillary 08

May 11, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  14. Dan,Louisiana

Time to rally,time to unite.

Dems 08

May 11, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  15. Schedson

YES WE CAN.....SI SE PUEDE

May 11, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  16. deborah jeane p, Boston

CNN, how about another CNN military analyist, who is also a lobbyist for military contractors,, who tells you iraq is a success story?

May 11, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  17. After further review,Texas

I would like to see them cancel each other out of the race and have Dennis Kucinich or John Edwards take their place.At least I could believe Dennis but the Media and most people have always had a bias against short men and the Truth.

May 11, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  18. BP

Hats off to Crystal! Now here is a young female thinking clearly and making the right decision based on logic.

Watching what’s going on with the American primaries from a country halfway across the world, and reading comments on cnn.com, I sometimes think how did this country become a super power? I can’t believe the kind of stupid things some people have to say! Some are going to write Hilary’s name in November and vote for her (are they mentally retarded or smoking something??)!! Do they think that’s going to solve their problems? Well, this is a country that voted J.W.Bush two times so I won’t be surprised. All those Hillary maniacs are going to make themsleves and the whole of america (well not to forget the rest of teh world) rott for another 4 years under McCain.

May 11, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  19. cph9680

If the Clinton News Network would actually do their job, they would have known that Barack beat Hillary in the super count last Friday. But heaven forbids!

May 11, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  20. rodney

Democrats, Republicans, and independents lets think objectively.
    Whether your a McCain supporter, Hillary, or Barrack supporter. We have been lied to, underestimated, ridiculed around the world in the last 8 years tremendously.

As a democrat and Barrack supporter. I still like Hillary inspite of what people say. She tenacious and smart. Mccain is patriotic, he can argue that. With Barrack, he is like a ordinary guy, sure he made 4.6 M. last year, but all of them all stinking rich. I ask everyone to vote for the person who they think have their best interest at heart.

Especially us democrats, lets stop bickering and acting like little girls in the school yard because that's what we sound like. Whoever our democratic nominee is, we should support him or her.

Sorry MCcain but this recent college graduates needs a job and I honestly don't think you will do well in that area.

May 11, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  21. ABC

Be sure to write or e-mail Ms. Stait to tell her she's a screw-up.

May 11, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  22. Peter

Why does the tone of CNN news reporting always sound supportive of Clinton's campaign? Should CNN be reporting the news, and NOT interpreting the news for one candidate or another. Help me, I am confused on the purpose of the Media. Hey I am well educated and I can read into to news, why was cnn poll information mention after the superdelegate give his reason for voting for Obama?

May 11, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  23. Rashida

Just waiting.....until Clinton will face up to the inevitable truth........she lost! To me her stubborness is not helping the Democratic Party, why not give up the false "hope" of winning the Presidential Nomination Hillary and unite the party by rallying support for Obama!

May 11, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  24. Laura /Albino Barrozo

I still feel Hillary Clinton would be the best candidate to be "commander in Chief" for our country! I am a voter from FLORIDA and am really disgudted with this state. HOW DARE THE DNC TAKE MY VOTE AWAY. I want my voted counted! This is the country my husband and I have lived and loved for over 70 years! We are very very disappointed that we have moved down here to live. We have been living here for 15 years, voted 5 times for President and although we knew it was a Rebublican State mostly we felt our country was a Democratic Country and our new state belonged to our country? Since the last presidential election was STOLEN from Al Gore we have had no faith in Florida. Now Hillary is having her votes STOLEN from Florida and OBama could care less ( howcould anyone REALLY listen to him and agree with his plans for our country).I know you probably will not print this comment but I feel better to air my thoughts. Just left your site that lists ALL our Military that have DIED what a pity. I pray for their souls every night! COUNT OUR VOTES DO THE RIGHT THING FOR A CHANGE...Sincerely sent

May 11, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  25. Jose

Obama-Edwards for President first Tuesday of November this year, vote.

May 11, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |