May 12th, 2008

Clinton draws parallel between her campaign, JFK's 1960 run

Hillary Clinton compared her Campaign to JFK's Monday.'
Hillary Clinton compared her Campaign to JFK's Monday.'

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton said again Monday that no Democratic presidential candidate can win without a victory in West Virginia - and drew a parallel between her own campaign and John Kennedy’s 1960 White House run.

“It was West Virginia that made it possible for John Kennedy to become president,” Clinton said at a Clear Fork, West Virginia campaign stop. “Now, John Kennedy didn’t have the number of delegates he needed when he went to the convention in 1960. He had something equally as important - he had West Virginia behind him, because it’s a fact that Democrats don’t get elected president unless West Virginia votes for you…”

Barack Obama may be the party’s pledged and superdelegate leader – but that status does not appear to have helped him in West Virginia, where Clinton leads by 30-40 points in recent state polls.

“So I’m here today because I know what’s really going to matter tomorrow,” said Clinton. “It’s the votes of the people of West Virginia and if you will come out and honor me with your vote I will work my heart out for you.

Clinton criticized the Democratic front-runner on his health care proposal, and his rejection of her proposed “gas tax holiday.”

“My opponent Sen. Obama says, “Oh no, that’s just a gimmick, that’s not going to help people,” said Clinton before again arguing that it will save families $70 on average and more for those with longer commutes as well as truckers.

Clinton added that West Virginia proportionately has more veterans, “more people who have served in the conflicts and in the armed forces of the United States….

“It is the hard-working, dedicated people of West Virginia who have really made America what it has been, and what it will be again.”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Jaqueline

I know many Hillary supporters that write in here and their comments are never seen again. Every time you see one person backing Hillary here there are dozens that are being blocked. And there are millions upon millions that will always support Hillary. And NEVER, EVER support the cult GOD Obama.

One way or another Obama will go down in a landslide. Without Hillary supporters he can't win. And we want Hillary not the
    anti-American Obama. And Hillary will be the nominee sometime before November. The floor will give away on Obama and the DEM party will throw their support behind Hillary because she will win in November. Count on it. Larry Sinclair and Donald Young very soon will become front and center. I wonder what Wright knows about Obamas relationship with these two men?

And when will Wright raise his loud voice again. Tick tock, tick tock Obama your time is almost up!

May 12, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  2. Willie McGill

Senator Clinton campaigned in Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama and North Carolina with a majority African American population. Furthermore, Senator Clinton knew those areas favored Senator Obama. Yet, she tried to win. If Senator Obama really wanted to bridge an election with all constituents, why isn't he campaigning in West Virginia and Kentucky?

May 12, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  3. Rhonda

Yea OK Hillary. Take your medicine and deal with the fact you lost.

May 12, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  4. fred

OBAMA AND HIS HATE HAS DAMAGED THE PARTY!!!

May 12, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  5. Barb

John F Kennedy did not back Obama, Ted Kennedy and family members did , that's what people need too remember.
    I don't think J.F.K would back Obama with all the unanswered questions of Obama's life.
    Obama is so protected by the media, Look at his choice of people in his life, why would he have a campaign adviser (Robert Malley), who has talks with Hamas, Obama keeps saying he want's to talk too Iran, even though Iran hates america, the Rev. Wright hates america, Michelle Obama hates america.
    How can Obama be around so many people who hate America and put his young family in a church too listen too his pastor make hate speech's, say he loves america.

May 12, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  6. Bring Unity not Divide and Conquer

OK, I think I narrowed it down to WV and KY white uneducated racist women are the only votes that count in and election.

GOTCHA LOUD AND CLEAR HILLARY!!!

May 12, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  7. Uchenna

Hilary is only getting we her supporters pissed with statements like this.

May 12, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  8. Matthew

Keep running Hillary!

You have proven to be a leader able to withstand challenges, obstacles, and whatever is thrown your way. This nomination is not over!

Obama is not qualified to be the next President of the United States. He will lose to John McCain. I do not want to see John McCain as President; however, I will not cast my vote for an unqualified person such as Barack Obama.

May 12, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  9. I agree with Jake

jake May 11th, 2008 4:38 pm ET

Clinton is the strongest candidate, despite the horrific negative press that never let up and the opponent's cash advantage.

Her dedication, loyalty and perseverance is an inspiration for all of us, and we WILL need it, post Bush.

I am behind her TO THE END, or as her supporters put it, to the TOP.

She is a LEADER.

… and, she believes (firmly) that everyone's opinion counts.
    That speaks volumes to me.

May 12, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  10. Tjaye

Can someone explain to me why ONLY the states that support her matter?

May 12, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  11. GloriafromPA

Hillary, stop, please, you are only looking more and more desperate.

May 12, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  12. Jennifer

Hillary-you are an ispiration to me as well as my friends! Hang in there! We support you 100%. Also, for those taking cheap shots at a former First Lady, or at any of the other candidates, with insults and other derogatory statements, it shows your own weaknesses and character more than you realize. Whether each of us supports Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, or John McCain, there is no need to insult the other candidates running for the Presidency.

May 12, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  13. gerald strother

Kennedy’s IS FOR OBAMA NO HER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 12, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  14. Dexter

Willie said: "I sincerely hope she becomes the next President of the United States."

She probably will... After Obama's 8 years in the White House, of course.

May 12, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  15. juppoot

The woman should go pleaseeeeeee

May 12, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  16. Sure

I see, based on the comments on this blog and others, that the Obama supporters are tirelessly attempting to drive the Clinton supporters away from Obama and the DNC. Niice!

May 12, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  17. John

Sharon / Sharon M/ Sharon Minnesota (or whatever you feel like calling yourself today):

Save us all some time and just stop posting. It is very clear at this point that you are one of Hillary's paid bloggers trying to scare others into voting for her. As for voting for McCain if Obama gets the nomination: I'm not too worried about you doing so, because that would require you to go outside. Pretty hard to get to the polls when you are tethered to your computer 24 hours a day.

I'm sure this will be just another post moderated into oblivion by the SS.

May 12, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  18. J.Onofre -CA

Hillary cannot win if she doesn't understand math or the rules of her own party.

She wont make a good president if she can't remember things well because she's tired at 11:o'clock at night. Using Bill's argument then it wouldn't make much sense that Mrs. C could even think at 3:AM like she professed.

She's losing an argument if it involves bending the rules in her favor.

May 12, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  19. Bring Unity not Divide and Conquer

not once have i heard her mention the 300,000 construction workers that she would be putting out of a job.

Obama's plan is much more sympathetic to people who can't afford to lose their jobs.

May 12, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  20. ROCHELLE IN NEW YORK

So sad Hillary, you are stooping very low. You are holding out so that you can bait Senator Obama into paying you back the $20 Mil that you paid yourself and the campaign to keep destroying the Dems and Obama. Shame on you! You are nothing like the Kennedy's or any other good trustworthy, honest person on this earth. You and your husband need to bow out. You have not only made the Dems look bad but America! GO HOME! STAY HOME! WATCH HUBBY!

Rochelle
    NYC, NY

May 12, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  21. Mike in Calgary

John Edwards is more like JFK, and we all know what JFK's daughter and brother said.

JFK was about Obama's age.

Hillary has aged tremendously after she lost it four months ago.
    As she becomes more shrill, I wonder if her voice gets on her nerves too. I wish she would grasp the obvious instead of continuing to let everybody know how little she has to offer the country!

Mike

May 12, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  22. Sara from Arizona

Pleasr end this Clinton nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Obama 08'

May 12, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  23. PANDER PANDER

Pandering definition:

when a politician tells potential voters that s/he will take immediate steps to help alleviate some of the pain of their worst problems in the short term, but does not provide a direct, practicable, provable path

Clinton: Panderer in PANT suits!

May 12, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  24. Lyz in MD

Let us not bash Clinton too much.

We need her supporters. The people saying "Clinton or McCain" are mostly Republican bloggers posing as Clinton supporters– the Clinton supporters I've talked to were looking forward to working side by side in support of the nominee, no matter what the outcome. Most of the people bashing the Clinton supporters are probably sock puppets as well, but I know that a lot of people are feeling that frustration.

Look, I have to admit, I've gotten a bit frustrated as well, and I'm definitely feeling a bit of Clinton fatigue, but let's remember that we need to unite the party. I'm upset with Clinton for some divisive things she's done, so what would it say if I did something divisive in response to it?

May 12, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  25. Sara from Arizona

CNN, SO BIAS TOWARDS THIS PHONY!!!! OBAMA 08'

May 12, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |