May 12th, 2008

Clinton draws parallel between her campaign, JFK's 1960 run

Hillary Clinton compared her Campaign to JFK's Monday.'
Hillary Clinton compared her Campaign to JFK's Monday.'

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton said again Monday that no Democratic presidential candidate can win without a victory in West Virginia - and drew a parallel between her own campaign and John Kennedy’s 1960 White House run.

“It was West Virginia that made it possible for John Kennedy to become president,” Clinton said at a Clear Fork, West Virginia campaign stop. “Now, John Kennedy didn’t have the number of delegates he needed when he went to the convention in 1960. He had something equally as important - he had West Virginia behind him, because it’s a fact that Democrats don’t get elected president unless West Virginia votes for you…”

Barack Obama may be the party’s pledged and superdelegate leader – but that status does not appear to have helped him in West Virginia, where Clinton leads by 30-40 points in recent state polls.

“So I’m here today because I know what’s really going to matter tomorrow,” said Clinton. “It’s the votes of the people of West Virginia and if you will come out and honor me with your vote I will work my heart out for you.

Clinton criticized the Democratic front-runner on his health care proposal, and his rejection of her proposed “gas tax holiday.”

“My opponent Sen. Obama says, “Oh no, that’s just a gimmick, that’s not going to help people,” said Clinton before again arguing that it will save families $70 on average and more for those with longer commutes as well as truckers.

Clinton added that West Virginia proportionately has more veterans, “more people who have served in the conflicts and in the armed forces of the United States….

“It is the hard-working, dedicated people of West Virginia who have really made America what it has been, and what it will be again.”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. ds

Apparently, they don't have internet access in WV. 200 of the world's leading economists have bashed the gas tax holiday as a foolish, counter-productive idea. What an ego on this one.

May 12, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  2. cathy

Has anyone noticed how nasty Obama supporters are? Hateful comments....what's up with all the mean rhetoric?

May 12, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  3. Independent-woman-voter-for-Obama

OH PLEASE! Its over........... really. She keeps going because really ego wont let her, be gracious!

HOW CAN ANYONE VOTE FOR SOMEONE WHO VOTED FOR THE WAR???????????????????????????????????????????

WE ARE $10 TRILLION IN DEBT......... PLEASE FOLKS THINK!

May 12, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  4. Julie

Oh please, the only thing Hilliary does well is run her mouth. If she will not step down and listen to her party members what do you think she will do as President??? She won't listen to anyone and we not be a superpower; we will be on the equivalent of a dictatorship.

May 12, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  5. LQ Rochester MN

I remember President Kennedy and you are not President Kennedy.

Even his daughter says so.

May 12, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  6. Candy, West Virginia

If that is so true why are all the Kennedy's (with the exception of 1) supporting Barack.But of course Hillary knows better than his own people, right????????

May 12, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  7. Helene

Lady, you are no John Kennedy !!!!

May 12, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  8. Sean, Detroit MI

I wasnt paying attention: Did Hillary state yet how she was born and raised in West Virginia, and fondly describe her humble up bringing as the daughter of a coal miner? Is it just me, or was Hillary raised in EVERY state she's campaigned in so far? Whats the legal limit of states one woman can claim to be from, anyways??

May 12, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  9. jr.

Obama; Flowers what Obama has promise you all better get it on writing , he has problems keeping promises Remember when he said he would never abandon his Pastor Wright Whom he call uncle well he dropped him like a hot potato.

May 12, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  10. Dr. ECO

Large States are the true indicators of ...oops, W. Virginians are the true visionaries...oops, 'Drip, drip, drip...somebody is not listening.
    Dr. ECO

May 12, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  11. Kim Ohio

uncle sam.... I suppose being in Washington for a few months was enough for him to know that the urgency is now.

May 12, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  12. Italian Stalion

Go hillary! I support you. Our votes in Michigan and florida deserve to be counted!

May 12, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  13. Sandy

All you Obama-zoids: Mr. Slick is taking you for a ride, and you're dragging the rest of us down with you.

Pay attention to what the "snakeoil-salesman in chief" does after he's elected. You'll see.

May 12, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  14. Dr. ECO in S.F. CA

I do not have negative junk to throw at the Clintons. I just resonate with the other candidate. I am not poor, uneducated or white. But, I certainly do work hard. I sent 5 children to college. They are 30 sum and under. They will all vote. Sorry Hillary you are going to have to come with a different line for these 6 voters. My wife is in your age category but she went to college just like you. So she will not vote for you either. She also works hard.
    Dr. ECO & family

May 12, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  15. MDN

"...no Democratic presidential candidate can win without a victory in West Virginia"

Doesn't she say that about EVERY state that she knows she is going to win? Since when does WV hold the key to political victory? She thinks that all the states that she wins are crucial states, while any states that she doesn't win are noted as insignificant.

What a delusional freak...

May 12, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  16. Kim Ohio

So now W. VA is REALLY what's going to matter. I take it to mean that Ohio, Texas, Penn. and Indiana mattered but not REALLY.

May 12, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  17. Allison Marie

I just love her! And I am doing what I can here in Florida to correct the foul play imposed by a Republican Gov. & the lack of leadership of the DNC, violating the voters civil rights! We want our votes counted! How could we ever have a nominee with only 48 states?
    Florida & Michigan demands representation.

Go Hillary Go!

Uncounted in Florida

May 12, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  18. RALPH MARCUS

I WISH MRS. HILLARY WINS THE NOMINATION COZ FOR ME SHE IS A DYNAMIC LEADRER AND A MUCH BETTER PRISIDENT THAN MR. OBAMA OR MCCAIN. MRS. HILLARY HAS A WORLD WIDE RECOGNITION AND CAN NEGOTIATE WELL WITH OTHER WORLD LEADERS. MAY THE BEST CANDIDATE WIN AND FOR ME THATS MRS.CLINTON. GO HILLARY GO!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 12, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  19. Jaqueline

GO HILLARY GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 12, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  20. Laurent - Florida

Horrible and ridiculous comparisson. Seems like she's trying to show America that she has recently learned some history and was inspired on JFK then tried to apply him to her tactics.
    She lost, it's final, soon she'll be begging Obama not to raise her taxes because her money is all gone.

May 12, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  21. Jaqueline

GO HILLARY GO!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 12, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  22. Dr. ECO in S.F. CA

I am not running and I have not spent millions on this race. So Hillary run until you get tired. I, like you, want to see a nominee. Not you, however.
    Dr. ECO

May 12, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  23. ronald

Lets see,

I think the Kennedys endorsed Obama.

No mudslinging!
    No Mcain!
    OBAMA '08

May 12, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  24. Barack Supporter

Hilary is a racist and will say anything to get the nominee, but Americans are not falling for this crap anymore!

May 12, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  25. Seat Florida and Michigan

Seat FL & MI based on the elections that have taken place.
    (Obama does not get MI 55 uncommitted).
    Required: 2208.5