May 12th, 2008

Clinton holds big leads in West Virginia and Kentucky

Clinton holds big leads in the next two states.
Clinton holds big leads in the next two states.

(CNN) - Even as her campaign appears to be in its final stages, Hillary Clinton is headed for two sweeping victories in West Virginia and Kentucky, the next two states to weigh in on the prolonged Democratic presidential race.

According to new polls released Monday, Clinton holds a 34 point lead in West Virginia and a 27 point lead in Kentucky.

In West Virginia, which votes Tuesday, a Suffolk University Poll has Clinton drawing 60 percent of likely Democratic voters compared to Obama's 24 percent. That poll also shows Clinton holds a 70 percent approval rating among West Virginia’s Democratic primary voters. Only half the state’s primary the state’s likely primary voters think Barack Obama can beat John McCain in a general election matchup.

In Kentucky, a Research 2000 poll shows Clinton winning 58 percent of the vote to Obama's 31 percent. But despite Clinton's strength in the state, the poll suggests John McCain would easily defeat both Democrats in November - the Arizona senator holds a 25 point advantage over Obama and a 12 point lead over Clinton. Kentucky is considered a solidly Republican state, though former President Bill Clinton carried it twice. The state's primary is May 20.

It remains unclear how Clinton's likely large wins in both states will affect the presidential race, given Obama's significant lead in total delegates. Only 28 pledged delegates are at stake in West Virginia Tuesday, while 51 are up for grabs in Kentucky.

1. Adam C

Sorry Clintons! It is time for a new politics that solves problems, not just empty promises to get through elections, and by the way, the majority of the best presidents that this country ever seen, had no experience – Lincoln, Washington, and Franklin D. Roosevelts. My own comparison with Senator Barack Obama's so called lack of experience is with our very experienced V.P.Dick Cheney and his very experienced cohort Donald Rumsfeld. After all, the result of "their experience" is an unbelievable catastrophe. End the nightmare in 2008! Go Senator Barack Obama!

May 12, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  2. linda-Texas

There are many reasons for Senator Clinton to continue in this race, number one being her less than qualified, racist opponent who would not win in the general election.

GO HILLARY!

May 12, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  3. Obama 08!!!!

CNN why are you so one sided....lets see the polls for Montana and Oregon!!!!

May 12, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  4. Paul

Hillary or McCain

We need someone with experience in the White House

Hillary we are with you all the way!!!

May 12, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  5. Bayoubula

As a republican, i'm just relishing this. You go Hillary...to hell with the Democrat party. If you can't win then why should some upstart Senator from Illinois get it. Just keep slingin' the mud on Obama...we very much appreciate it.

May 12, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  6. Deann

It looks like the drug user is going to steal the presidents position for the USA ! NO WAY NOT EVERYONE IS AN AFRICAN IN THE USA !

May 12, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  7. Debby

12 points isn't that bad Hillary can take that state of electoral votes with her economic policy alone.

May 12, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  8. Thank You Democrats

I hope all you Hillary donors were not supporting her tax holiday. How can she make statements that $30 means so much to average Americans, but still try to get them to donate $50-100 for her campaign?
    Doesn't make much sense unless you are blinded by the lies of Hillary.

Gotta love the family fight within the Democratic party.

May 12, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  9. Jeff in Alabama

I admire Hillary Clinton for not quitting. The rules of the DNC allow for anyone to campaign up to the convention if they want. The popular vote count will favor Clinton in the end when you count FL and MI. And we do have count them. Those voters can not be ignored regardless of what rules the party officials screwed up. People still have the right to vote and they all voted in both states fair and square.

May 12, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  10. FreedomFromFear-Florida

PEOPLE, YOU must know that FRAMING PEOPLE OF STATES as POOR and UNEDUCATED IS DEMEANING. TO FURTHER IMPLY THAT THE POOR, WHITE AND UNEDUCATED ARE STUPID AND BIGOTED ENOUGH TO VOTE FOR HILLARY, IS ABSOLUTELY INSULTING. STOP, YOU ARE ACTING LIKE THE BULLYING BILLARIES!

Where can we talk directly to the people of West Virginia and Kentucky? I could not imagine living there right now and having to endure this.

LET US TELL THEM KNOW THAT WE LOVE THEM AND DO NOT FEEL THIS WAY ABOUT OUR BROTHERS AND SISTERS, NO MATTER HOW WHITE, RICH OR EDUCATED. WE ARE RICH TO HAVE THEM ON OUR SOIL! HILLARY is giving them a BAD BILL OF SALE! HILLARY COULD NEVER REPRESENT THEM OR ME! OBAMA IS THE ONE!

May 12, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  11. annie

I'm a female business owner and I am urging all of the Hillary supporters in the fall to vote for McCain he is not your typical republican he is actually very liberal. I have spent a long time on this
    and have done a lot of research (unlike Obama supporters I actually take my vote serious and know the whole background of the people i vote for) he is the next best thing, he isn't just another 4 years of Bush
    in fact they don't even agree on most things. Please Americans DO
    Not be fooled again! Haven't we had enough of that with Bush in the white house for 8 years. Obama and his wife will set this country back
    100 years, they are UN AMERICAN and not because he doesn't wear
    a lapel pin. He states in his book he would rather be in Africa helping out over there. Well why don't he go!! I wish Hillary was the nominee but I know that the race card has been played to the advantage of the Obama campaign and he will be the nominee. But he will NOT be the next Pres. of the US

May 12, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  12. Franky

Yeah, I was hoping this info won't come out...LOL!!! I mean, why do you think I don't care about these next primaries. Look at Senator McCain, he still winning despite doing nothing or should I say, "talk"...LOL!!! Once the "playoffs" start, we'll see who has the last laugh....

May 12, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  13. Mike

If you can't manage a campaign budget, how will you manage the economy?

If you can't control Bill on the campaign trail, how will you control him in DC?

The longer she stays in this, the more likely she will drift into the political wilderness.

VP...No
    Senate Majority Leader...No
    Mayor of Chappaqua...Maybe!

May 12, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  14. JOANN

HILLARY FOR PRESIDENT – AN AMERICAN WHO IS PROUD OF HER COUNTRY – CARES ABOUT HER PEOPLE – AND SOMEONE WHO IS NOT JUST READY ON DAY ONE TO BE PRESIDENT BUT IS READY TO BE PRESIDENT RIGHT NOW

May 12, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  15. Chris, Middletown, CT

I wonder about the state of our education system in the US – the woman with 3 degrees – says she understands things at a higher level – i.e. Hillarys "experience" – the one where she didn't attend one cabinet meeting...or when her husband was governor ...and she was a partner in the Rose Law Firm...and on the board of Directors for Walmart....(this political experience??) – or how about multiple positions on the same issue....I guess it takes a superior intellect to see what Hillary "really meant" – I personally believe you are all dopes....but....thats just me

May 12, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  16. James

I think at this point Ray Charles could see this is over for Hillary

May 12, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  17. Mary (Texas)

Thank you "Obama" supporters for helping me make up my mind – I had thought if Hillary did not win – I would still vote democrat – even though I do not believe in Obama. BUT you Obama supporters are hateful and full of evil that I will vote for McCain before OBAMA!! I will write in Hillary's name if she is not on the ticket!!!!

Go Hillary – do not give up – we are behind you and remember Rev. Wright is behind OBAMA!!!! literally....

May 12, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  18. DemocracyNow2008

Hillary is ready now she really is getting ready now she has experience in lying and to top it off experience at getting her campaign into debt.

Its over Hillary and her core supporters wake up the lady is gone its over

Obama is the persumptive nominee now as Tim Russert put it so well last Tuesday night.

May 12, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |