May 12th, 2008

Moveon.org ad tries to show Obama can win the GOP vote

CNN

Watch the latest Moveon.org ad: 'Obamacan.'.

(CNN)— MoveOn.org unveiled the winner of its pro-Barack Obama ad contest Monday, emphasizing the Illinois senator’s message that he can garner support across party lines.

The winning ad, titled “Obamacan,” features a lifelong Republican making the case for Obama’s appeal over presumptive GOP nominee, John McCain.

“I’ve been a Republican since before I could actually vote–and I’m voting for Barack Obama,” says former U.S. Air Force Staff Sergeant John Wieler, citing Obama’s ability to represent Republicans and Democrats.

In total, more than 5.5 million votes were cast online. Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Oliver Stone, and John Legend were among the celebrity panel helping average citizens to choose one winning ad out of more than 1,100 submissions.

The ad is set to air on national cable and network television in the fall battleground states of Ohio, Wisconsin, and Colorado, going hand in hand with the Obama campaign’s recent shift towards a general election focus.

MoveOn.org formally endorsed Obama's candidacy in February, and says it will spend $200,000 to air “Obamacan,” even though the Illinois senator has not yet been chosen as the Democratic nominee.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Obama Supporter

The comments posted on these blogs always shock me. The Hillary supporters who don't know that the titanic has sunk and they are just re-arranging the deck chairs, or the hard core republicans who forget that the republican base was so against electing McCain, but they had no choice. I myself know of some republicans who are going to vote for Obama, because he's the best solution out of the 3 candidates. Is he perfect? hell no, but thats life, face the music.

May 12, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  2. mmm

MoveOn.org are just like the Bush republicans, if fact I bet a lot of Bush republicans have joined MoveOn. Very Creepy.
    They are rude, mean and self serving. I'm looking forward to seeing Hillary win the nomination. They make me not like Obama.

May 12, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  3. R.I.F.

Shirley, Portland OR May 12th, 2008 4:22 pm ET

Shirley,

Clinton will not run as an Independent. Sorry to burst your bubble but the chance of that happening is about the same as the chance of seeing the gas tax holiday this summer.

I don't know if you've noticed but Obama and Clinton are about the same on 90% of the issues and you can not tell me that Obama is a negative person or that he's not very intellegent, level-headed, thoughtful, are has this country's best interests in mind. So what's the problem with voting for him? I guess you don't like the brown wrapping that he's packaged in.

May 12, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  4. laurie, michigan

Only problem is the Independent Party already has a candidate. I guess you could start the Clinton Party. I am sure Hillary won't want to ruin her political career by changing parties. If I remember right it is the women who are so worried about SCOTUS members. I sincerely hope you all come to your senses whoever the nominee is and vote democrat in November. I'd even vote for Hillary if I have to. She's run a hard campaign and Obama has been winning fair and square. It seems to me the voters have decided and that's what this has been about since the primaries started.

May 12, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  5. AB

Bottom line is that when it is time to vote, people will vote for character, integrity and leadership. Sorry, but that leaves Obama out of the picture. No one wants to see this country turn into a socialist radical leaning nation.
    A first term of McCain seems more appealing than a first term of McGovern.

The MSM does not elect Presidents. The good people of America do.
    It is a shame that this same MSM has turned this into a racial contest. It was never a racial contest until the MSM decided that no one was allowed to ask any deep and probing questions regarding Mr Obama's shady relationships.
    It is a sham that the MSM has made this about one persons melanin level.
    And if I were Ted Kennedy, I would keep my mouth shut regarding the selection of potential VP candidates. If Hillary is not your choice because you think she does not have Obamas vision to lead this country, then why on the other is the MSM asking her to bow out and help Obama? Wouln't that hurt the Obama camp if HIllary were out on the trail campaigning for him?
    You can't have it both ways Ted..
    If I were Hillary, I would drop out and endorse McCain...
    She probably gets more respect from that camp then the Obama camp could ever wish to show her.

May 12, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  6. Karen

Obama has not won the democratic nomination yet!!!! Why not let the voices of FLORIDA AND MICHIGAN

May 12, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  7. Elisabeth

Finally the message is getting out there that Obama has a better chance of beating McCain than Clinton does. There are a lot of moderate republicans out there that do not want to vote for McCain. They won't vote for Clinton. They will cross party lines and vote for Obama.

Clinton's stand that she has a better chance beating McCain is false. Obama has the better chance to beat McCain. Even republicans are sick of republicans right now. But – they don't want Clinton.

May 12, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  8. Karen

Let the voices of Michigan and Florida be heard. The election is not over!!!! Also the states of KY and WVA have not even cast a ballot yet and Obama has moved on without even giving a glance at these states. Just goes to show his lack of experience-not even one term in office yet!!!! Give me a break. They will eat him alive in Nov.

May 12, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  9. enoch needles

It never fails. No matter WHAT the subject is, the Hill Shills ALWAYS show up and start posting about how they'll stay home, vote for McCain, write-in Clinton, or encourage her to run as an Independent.

Is anyone really that vindictive?

Besides Republicans, I mean.

May 12, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  10. Nikole

If some of you had been paying attention all along, you would know that Obama has ALREADY been getting Republican voters that are disenchanted with their party. This is not new. PAY ATTENTION!

May 12, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  11. jimmy vekmen

REMEMBER THE MOVE ON.ORG GENERAL PETRAEUS AND GEN. BETRAY US? THEY ARE AN ULTRA LEFT GROUPIES.
    LIKE THE WIND, THEY GO HITHER AND THITHER. VOTE FOR MCCAIN OR CLINTON.

May 12, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  12. Bucks co.

Moveon ranks right down there with the Swiftboaters. They will say and do anything to discredit the opponent.

May 12, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  13. Eddie

Get this,NO ONE HURT HILLARY BUT HERSELF,she is not electable and Obama has been so nice not to point out all of her short comings.Hillary has only got this far because of her husbands record,she has no experience and no good judgement.Stop blaming someone else for this ladies failed campaign.

May 12, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  14. Rob

I don't know why people keep saying "Hillary run as independent"..

News Flash

You can't run in a primary and then run as a independent if you don't get your party's nominee...against the rules...

May 12, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  15. Deb.

Sure is great how that miracle worker Obama is uniting the party. With cohesiveness like this, who needs the Reps. we'll just self-destruct and guess who gets the last laugh?

May 12, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  16. Go Hillary

Funny how Republicans voting for Obummer are "smart" and "making the right choice"...

...but Republicans that vote for Hillary are doing so because she's "the weaker candidate"??

You Obamabots are dilusional. I can't wait for McBush to smack the sh&t out of BO this fall, IF he gets the nomination.

May 12, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  17. Face It again!

Face it- You forgot that once he loses the GE, he'll basically have use dup his political capital and won't get a second chance to run his change campaign...hahahaha.

Could have been somebody , now he'll barely be remeber other than for trying to jump in line.

May 12, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  18. Barack Obama for President

It's not too late for all you John McSame voters to see the light. Vote for Barack Obama and vote for change we ALL can believe in.

McSame the hypocrite doesn't have a prayer!

May 12, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  19. Jennifer NJ

Earlier, Robert Malley – an unpaid Middle East policy adviser to the Obama campaign – resigned after hearing the Times of London was planning to report on his meetings with Hamas in his role as head of the International Crisis Group. Obama himself has said that he would not meet with the Palestinian group.

"My job with the International Crisis Group is to meet with all sorts of savory and unsavory people and report on what they say. I've never denied whom I meet with; that's what I do,” Malley told NBC News in a weekend interview.

May 12, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  20. Proudly Independent

I decided to support Obama for that reason. Since the 1990's their has been a highly partisan combative style of politics. I did not support Hillary Clinton because she is highly partisan and combative. She would be battling the Republicans for her entire term with little to show for it if she were president. The next president needs to be inviting and very willing to work with Democrats, Republicans and Independents. Over the last decade, we have had both Republican-controlled and Democratic-controlled Congress and there has been very little accomplished. It is time for a change. It is time for compromise in order to solve some pressing issues that country is facing. We do not need more bickering. Back in 2000, I supported McCain because he seemed to be the person that could work with both sides. Over the past 8 years, McCain has embraced George Bush too much and pandered to the far right of his party. McCain is not the same maverick that he was back in 2000.

Obama's platform involves working with both sides. I do not believe one side or the other has all of the answers. This message is for both Democrats and Republicans. You can respectfully disagree on issues withouth being nasty and disagreeable. Hopefully, Obama can encourage both Democrats and Republicans to truly have bipartisanship. I still have HOPE that maybe just maybe that can happen this time. .

May 12, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  21. Dan Lee

HILLARY CLINTON SUPPORTERS ARE JUST LIKE HILLARY HERSELF DESCRIBED THEM: WHITE AND UNEDUCATED!
    THEY OBVIOUSLY THINK 1+1 =11
    OBAMA DID NOT OUTSPENT HILLARY, HE OUTRAISED HER, BECAUSE MORE PEOPLE BELIEVE IN HIM AND ARE WILLING TO GIVE TO HIM UNLIKE HILLARY'S SUPPORTERS WHO ARE OBVIOUSLY ARE ALL TALK AND TO CHEAP TO REALLY SUPPORT THEIR CANDIDATE THUS HER CAMPAIGN IS BROKE.

PLEASE OBAMA SUPPORTERS DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME TRYING TO EXPLAIN TO THOSE UNEDUCATED PEOPLE HOW TO ADD AND SUBTRACT AND WHAT RULES MEAN ETC... THEY ARE DELUSIONAL JUST LIKE THEIR LEADER.

May 12, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  22. Hillary in Little Rock, NY

OK, I have a confession to make. Everything I do is about political expediency. It's about furthering my cause. It's about making my voice heard.

Why? BECAUSE IT'S ALL ABOUT MEEEEEE!!!!

HRC, 2008

May 12, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  23. John WA

Hey, Hillary supporters-are you aware that MOVEON.ORG was developed the help BIll after he was impeached. It was about moving on (moving past it) now Hillary has been bashing them as a leftist political activist group because they support Obama. She is ungrateful and dishonest, ask 50% of the voters.

May 12, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  24. Canuck

Obama = McGovern = landslide loss in 08.

May 12, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  25. tom

to Face it, well i didn't know the are still pple out there who do not use their head to think. Nowonder why HRC is still in the race what advice do you expect she will get from pple like you

May 12, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |