May 12th, 2008

Moveon.org ad tries to show Obama can win the GOP vote

CNN

Watch the latest Moveon.org ad: 'Obamacan.'.

(CNN)— MoveOn.org unveiled the winner of its pro-Barack Obama ad contest Monday, emphasizing the Illinois senator’s message that he can garner support across party lines.

The winning ad, titled “Obamacan,” features a lifelong Republican making the case for Obama’s appeal over presumptive GOP nominee, John McCain.

“I’ve been a Republican since before I could actually vote–and I’m voting for Barack Obama,” says former U.S. Air Force Staff Sergeant John Wieler, citing Obama’s ability to represent Republicans and Democrats.

In total, more than 5.5 million votes were cast online. Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Oliver Stone, and John Legend were among the celebrity panel helping average citizens to choose one winning ad out of more than 1,100 submissions.

The ad is set to air on national cable and network television in the fall battleground states of Ohio, Wisconsin, and Colorado, going hand in hand with the Obama campaign’s recent shift towards a general election focus.

MoveOn.org formally endorsed Obama's candidacy in February, and says it will spend $200,000 to air “Obamacan,” even though the Illinois senator has not yet been chosen as the Democratic nominee.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Terry H

Good God. More "theatrics" to make OBAMA Look like a viable candidate. Money will buy anything I guess. Well, It won't buy my vote. If Obama knows anyhting it had better be to stay out of Florida. He'll be shamed if he shows his face here. This poor blue collar Hillary supporter may not have millions of dollars to "buy" her a victory but I and many others sure have the "vote" needed to CRUSH Obama in November. I'm ashamed to be a democrat but I can change that. Give me a pen.

May 12, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  2. Ardnuas

I LOVE this Ad...... We Americans are awesome when we are UNITED.
    Obama/Hagel ( I want Chuck Hagel to be the VP)

May 12, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  3. HilleryBillery

Hi voters. Please support me for President. I look like Goldilocks. I am tuff like Rocky. I will Nuke those pesky Iranians. I will get all those jobs back that Bill sent to China. I will give away free gas on Wednesdays.
    Oh screw it. Vote for me cause I am white! White Power!!

May 12, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  4. Michael

Thank you Dr. J

This is the 21st century, you would think by now we would have outgrown our propensity for judging others simply because of skin color or gender.

May 12, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  5. gerald strother

Let's give Hillary and Bill Clinton the respect they deserved for all the wonderful things they have done for our country and the world! HOW ABOUT ALL THE SHAME THAT BILL CLINTON HAVE DONE FOR ARE COUNTRY SHOULD WE GO THARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 12, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  6. v.ananthan

I don^t think that people who are NOT voting for Obama are racists..

They just think that he is not the right candidate to run the country...

It¨s really sad that people have only 2 choices in november...

2 BAD CHOICES...

May 12, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  7. Marc

Say no to Darth Obama. His silver-tongue and empty promises reveal his true nature. Not only can he not win the GE, for my children's sake, I hope he doesn't somehow cheat his way into the White House like he has done with the nomination.

Democrats for McCain in '08.

May 12, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  8. Steve

Moveon.org is the kiss of death.....Obama should shed those whackos

May 12, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  9. TimeToUnite

very moving commercial from a staunch republican. What an exciting time and what a great race it will be between Obama and McCain.

May 12, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  10. Anna

I think the regular Fox News comment people are on CNN too.
    Maybe they'll learn something new.
    OBAMA 2008/2012

May 12, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  11. Steve

the most interested part here is the obama supporters have all but won the nomination but they still cannot get off Clintons back. I honestly have never voted anything but democrat but its the crap on these boards of immature idiots that just might push me to vote for Mccain.

There is something to be said for winning, but there is more to be said for winning graciously and right now all I see is rude and condescending comments about Clinton and her supporters. So much for "bringing people together"

May 12, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  12. AC 360

Good stuff.

May 12, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  13. indy dem

And another thing...

Obama's not an anti-semite!!

Look at what Bush has done to the Middle East. The war in Iraq has hurt everyone in the region, especially ISRAEL.

The only country who's benefitted from Bush/Cheney's foreign policy is IRAN – our biggest regional enemy! That's what "experience" and "maturity" and "conservative" gets us?

Yes republicans WILL switch and vote for obama in the general. All of them? No. Enough? OH YES

May 12, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  14. Phil in KC

John McCain is out there running in the general election already. The Democrats need to do something to off-set this. Since they can't spend money for the general election while they're fighting a primary battle, it's smart for Moveon.org to do this.

May 12, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  15. Ken

Since when do [R]s have the mental capacity to make good choices? Obama's only hope with [R]s is to target the very top of the [R] intellectual pool, and hope these people realize the tragic mistake they made in electing the current disaster-in-charge into office in 2000 and 2004. But why would anybody who realizes that mistake, and how the [R] party has blindly backed the disaster, still call themselves [R]?

I'm afraid the 'old' [R] party of real conservatives is long gone. What is left is a bunch of partisan right-wing reactionaries who delight in the likes of Rove, Limbaugh, crackpot religious zealots and the like. And the neo-nuggets out here in the voting public don't even realize it.

May 12, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  16. chris

I have a silver star and bronze star from actions in iraq and I too was a long supporter of the REPUBLICANS , BUT Im for HILLIARY CLINTON not OSMABA who allows people to say GODD DAMM AMERICA how so patriotic

May 12, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  17. indy dem

Obama did not cheat to win the nomination. Hillary cheated by trying to change the rules when she was losing. Obama winning by getting more votes.

The irony is sweet because the BS system of proportional allocation is meant to favor the establishment candidate (HRC).

Oh yeah and "winner take all's" not fair either. WE might have a different nominee, but it wouldn't be fair either.

I think your beef, MARC, is with the DNC. Not wit the nominee of your party

May 12, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  18. fred

LOL, Obama won't even be able to win the democrats vote!!

May 12, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  19. Ridgeway

"MoveOn.org"? Nut bags. Typical endorsment for the biggest liberal in America. Empty suit Obama.

May 12, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  20. FreshAir

Love MoveOn, but this ad sucks. boooooring.

May 12, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  21. dave

I think osama will represent the people well. You know people want hilliary to quit because thats the attitudes americans have nowdays. When the tough times come we give up!!! on the other hand the hand hilliary is a figher!!! Their is a small group of winners in america and they fight till the death!!! Its unfortuante theirs more losers than winners in america

May 12, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  22. monk babu

moveon.org, John Kerry, michael moore, Ted Kennedy, and others are killing Democratic party with their far left agenda. Obama is another one of those far left bigots...

What we need is some one who is more in the center... McCain or Clinton are the best choice for this country...

Get rid of far left or far right!!!

May 12, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  23. I used to be a Democrat

I will never vote for Obama. Never.

May 12, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  24. bigben

moveorg are a bunch of left-wing activist. theyve hi-jacked the demo time for a third party

May 12, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  25. Independent99999

Another example is this Independent Republican leaning person (No to abortions, No to higher taxes, NO to gays/lesbians, etc.) will likely vote for Obama. I am almost thinking that Obama is a God's Child who will help lead the US in the 21st Century.

However, I have a few suggestions to Obama –

a) Recognize the Global trends of Economy and Endorse FairTax as a way to encourage the Job Creation and Fuel the growth of the 21st Century US economy

b) Invest in Alternate Fuels heavily and eradicate the dependence on Foreign Oil

c) Say no to "Child Murderers". A child is born when conceived. Period. Abortion is equivalent to killing Children. Do not support that. Not in America, please!.

Thanks, Mr. President Obama