May 12th, 2008

Obama backer compares Clinton to 'Fatal Attraction' character

An Obama supporter and Tennessee congressman is comparing Clinton to Glenn Close in 'Fatal Attraction.'

(CNN) - Several of Barack Obama's supporters have publicly urged Hillary Clinton to withdraw from the presidential race, but Tennessee Rep. Steve Cohen was especially blunt.

Speaking to a Memphis TV station over the weekend, Cohen compared Clinton to Glenn Close’s character in the movie "Fatal Attraction."

Close played an obsessed and mentally unstable woman who refused to end an affair with a married man, despite his repeated urgings. In the movie’s final scene, Close's character appears to have drowned in a bathtub, but re-emerged before getting fatally shot.

"Glenn Close should have stayed in that tub, and Sen. Clinton has had a remarkable career and needs to move to the next step, which is helping elect the Democratic nominee," Cohen said.

Cohen's office released an apology from the congressman soon after he made the comments.

"I sincerely apologize for the comments I made about Senator Clinton's campaign," he said in the statement. "I have great respect for Senator Clinton as a US Senator. She has waged an historic campaign which has done much to break the glass ceiling. My comments obviously do not reflect the sentiments of Senator Obama or the Obama campaign. Nor do they reflect my opinion of Senator Clinton whom I have known for years and admire. My hope is that our party will come together to work to defeat John McCain."

Cohen endorsed Obama on February 4, one day before the Super Tuesday contests.

1. P, CA

Eh, I think Hillary is closer to Prof. Umbridge (Imelda Staunton) in Harry Potter 5. Trust me on this one. Seriously. Look at the pink wearing, hairdo, and mannerisms.

I was thinking about trying to get a picture out on the internet showing Hillary and Umbridge side-by-side saying "Kids, a vote for Hillary is a vote for Umbridge; go tell your parents!"... but that would've been too mean.

I'd have voted for her if she'd gotten the nom, but I'm 1,000x happier with Obama.

May 12, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  2. gerald strother

Gallup Daily: Obama Pulls Ahead of Clinton, 50% to 43% NEW May 12, 2008

May 12, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  3. Tjaye

OMG!! We were joking about that a few weeks ago!

"I will NOT be IGNOOORED!!"

lmao!

May 12, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  4. Patty

What a jerk and CNN you are jerks for putting it in the news along with whoever. Why can't people just let the process run. So much for democracy.

May 12, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  5. USAF Sr. Airman

You all need to take a step back and take a look at yourselves. You Dems bashing Obama or Clinton, all you're doing is helping out the GOP by feeding the negativity.

The fact about Michigan and Florida is both states broke the rules even though they knew their votes wouldn't count. Yes I feel bad for the voters, but that's the way it goes. The states and the CANDIDATES (even Clinton) all agreed the results of the states wouldn't count. Drop the issue.

As far as CNN being biased, well both sides are saying the same thing, so what does that mean? CNN is against everyone?

Stop being petty and look at the bigger picture folks.

– Democratic '08. Either way.

May 12, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  6. NickNas

OK Fine! It wasn't a nice thing to say BUT......... In the words of Larry the Cable guy.

I don't care WHO you are ...that is sum funny stuff right there.

May 12, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  7. Kris from AZ

She needs to land the plane...Wheels need to be dropped so that she can ease on down and land with little turbulance and help dems unite. Dems by jumping ship you jump democrate values that we love and care so much about!

May 12, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  8. Citizen

Barack better watch his back, because Hillary is nuts.

May 12, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  9. Jennifer

What a remarkably stupid comment from Rep. Steve Cohen. This just goes to show you how insidious sexism is in our world and how it has hurt Senator Clinton's campaign.

May 12, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  10. mary nagata

I have a question about the indiana primary. how come everybody including the reporting have been saying hillary won it by 2%. It's 1.11%... if you round it off in any way, it's 1 %. looks like the reporters are so lazy that they don't do their job! just copy somebody else!!

May 12, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  11. Jane

The stories I've heard about some of the Obama supporters and their tactics would make your blood curdle. And to think, this man may win the democratic nomination.

May 12, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  12. Julia

I will NEVER vote for Obama. EVER. The DNC, Obama and his supporters have made my choice very clear – McCain. EVER.

May 12, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  13. Bobo

He's right on. He blew it with me when he issued the apology. Manu up you weasel and stand by your words!

May 12, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  14. sacto joe

DEMOCRATS BEWARE!!!

A lot of neo-cons posing as Democrats are posting hate mail. They're trying to drive a wedge between us!

RESIST THE NEOCON HATE MACHINE!

May 12, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  15. Monte Brown

This is very petty. Obama supporters are turning Clinton supporters to McCain with these petty, sexist comments.

May 12, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  16. Now that's funny

I hate to laugh, but that's a funny comparison

May 12, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  17. Carmen

Apology accepted but in a way it does seem that way. What we fail to realize it that Hillary had a silver spoon in her mouoth when she enter the race and was told to do nothing but sit back and it will be all over. Now that she has to comptete, it is a different and hard game for her to figure out which maze lead to the door. Hillary and Glenn close do have close ties to each other, but Glenn was not Monica to Bill.

May 12, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  18. Cammi317

LOL...That was definitely NOT a nice statement, but it is still funny as heck!

May 12, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  19. HILLARY 08 OR MCCAIN

Oh, this is a different kind of campain (sarcasm). Obama supporters are so nasty. This is what Obama has been doing all along. He tells everyone he is a "different" kind of politician, but just has surrogates say the nasty stuff.

We see through your rhetoric Obama.

I will never vote Obama.

Hillary 08

May 12, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  20. Phyllis

Hopefully, this representative will lose his seat in November. That's just petty and mean, and irrelevant

May 12, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  21. Kevin Leo (Jonesboro, GA)

I am totally for Barack but some of the comments coming out against Hillary are getting carried away. What is more important – beating McCain or putting Hillary down?! I personally have hated the way that Hillary and her camp has campaigned but we can not allow ourselves to sink down to her level. As Barack suppoerters, we need to emulate Barack in this regards and rise above pettiness for the betterment of our party and the nation as a whole!!!

May 12, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  22. gaea in NC

"Hillary Clinton publicly urged Hillary Clinton to withdraw from the presidential race"

huh?

May 12, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  23. shirley ann

He was only saying the truth. This has become an obsession for her.

May 12, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  24. Alexis

LOL! HAAAA! HAAAAA! Well the truth shall set you FREE! She should just drop, out, she is killing our party!! and we need to be trying to put our heads together in trying to bring our party together!!!!

May 12, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  25. Lee WV

The congressman might have to apologize but the magic of ot is we don't.This is a good comparison,Clinton appears to me to have the old'If I can't have it no one can " attitude.

May 12, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |