May 12th, 2008

Obama backer compares Clinton to 'Fatal Attraction' character

An Obama supporter and Tennessee congressman is comparing Clinton to Glenn Close in 'Fatal Attraction.'

(CNN) - Several of Barack Obama's supporters have publicly urged Hillary Clinton to withdraw from the presidential race, but Tennessee Rep. Steve Cohen was especially blunt.

Speaking to a Memphis TV station over the weekend, Cohen compared Clinton to Glenn Close’s character in the movie "Fatal Attraction."

Close played an obsessed and mentally unstable woman who refused to end an affair with a married man, despite his repeated urgings. In the movie’s final scene, Close's character appears to have drowned in a bathtub, but re-emerged before getting fatally shot.

"Glenn Close should have stayed in that tub, and Sen. Clinton has had a remarkable career and needs to move to the next step, which is helping elect the Democratic nominee," Cohen said.

Cohen's office released an apology from the congressman soon after he made the comments.

"I sincerely apologize for the comments I made about Senator Clinton's campaign," he said in the statement. "I have great respect for Senator Clinton as a US Senator. She has waged an historic campaign which has done much to break the glass ceiling. My comments obviously do not reflect the sentiments of Senator Obama or the Obama campaign. Nor do they reflect my opinion of Senator Clinton whom I have known for years and admire. My hope is that our party will come together to work to defeat John McCain."

Cohen endorsed Obama on February 4, one day before the Super Tuesday contests.

1. Carol

Yikes – I don't like Hillary, but that remark was a bit much

May 12, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  2. The Voice

Obama supporters keep complaining when it is a historical primary, it is that close, let run until June. What are you afraid of? If you believe he has closed the nomination then let all the primary states vote. Check out mifavpolitician. com!!

A Democrat in 081

May 12, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  3. JLS

I guess those who say they won't vote for Obama aren't true democrats, are they?
    That'll ensure McCain wins....Ya gotta luv being a Republican!!

May 12, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  4. Lisa in Canada

LOL LOL LOL. That is too funny, hopefully this don't affect Obama by his remark. Who care's anyway it's the truth. She is fighting Obama as if she is fighting McCain. WOW!

May 12, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  5. Jane

Hilarious! That's the funniest thing I've read!

May 12, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  6. gene

Obama supporters, including this stupid Congressmen from Tenn. are by far an large the biggest bunch of dummies going. They insult, demean and degrade Hillary Clinton and her supporters and then they want her to convince us not to cross over and vote for McCain. Well this is one guy, who is lost. I am no longer a Democrat and advised the DNC to take my name off their mailing list. If she is not the nominee, I will either stay or vote for McCain.

May 12, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  7. Jagdish Chandra, Vancouver,Canada

I am getting very concerned about Obama/s personal safety, the
    longer this nonsense continues....can not trust the Clintons.

May 12, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  8. Cindy

Hillary needs to finish what she started. She owes her supporters that much. The Democratic Party should respect her decision and let her campaign on, without rubbing salt in her wounds.

I think Obama supporters can call her out on her outlandish negative statements, but they should not create statements like Sen Cohen's in return. It comes across like they're gloating. Gloating is offensive, and not very professional or presidential.

May 12, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  9. Xavier, St. Louis, MO

He ain't lying! She is acting psychotic. I think she needs some mental help. Maybe Dr. Phil can help her realize that it is okay to withdraw from this race that has been over for months. She is clearly in denial.

May 12, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  10. David, Santa Rosa, CA

This guy needs to man up and own the comment.

Barack Obama/Janet Napolitano 08'

May 12, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  11. West Virginia

Truth hurts!!!!!

Independent

May 12, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  12. Bulls eye

Cohen, don't apologize.

May 12, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  13. Okay...

I hate to admit that was a funny comment; however; it was very inappropriate and he needed to apologize to Sen. Clinton. Even though she isn't going to end up being the nominee, she still deserves the respect of the American people as well as her colleagues. That was not a smart thing to say.

May 12, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  14. rickG

We can't come together with comments like these. Let's keep on shooting ourselves in the foot. This is the time to just let things play out and end graciously as they should. We should be mending fences with our fellow democrats not trashing them. If we don't we will lose in November and we will have deserved it.

May 12, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  15. PA Obama Supporter

I'm an Obama supporter....def not a nice thing to say. At this point... I think a lot of people keep trying to spare her feelings... and it's getting harder to do so. I'm not sure why Hillary is still in this race... I don't think her ego could really be that huge? Sad to see what's happening to her.

She's not even pushing the gas tax like she was last week....if it was so important... why isn't it important this week?

May 12, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  16. Freida NYC

I am so sick of this Obama's supporters, who bash, demorilize, and disrespect Hillary. And then, they turn around apologizing...after they instill their hate and disgusting comments.
    No thanks, apologies not accepted!

May 12, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  17. Joyce in Florida

If Rep. Cohen so respected Senator Clinton as he states above in his apology, he never should have said it in the first place. I believe he meant every word and was called on to apologize. What a disgrace that man is. This goes to show how negative and hateful the Obama campaign staff is on a daily basis. They are not stopping and are making the democratic party a joke. Hillary Clinton NEEDS to be the nominee so that Obama can go home and think about what he has done to our party. We don't want him campaigning in Florida because Hillary already won Florida. Does this mean that he will NOW count our votes from our primary of January 29th? I think not. His arrogance is showing LOUD and CLEAR and you will NOT see me at any of his stops. GO HILLARY 08!!!!!

May 12, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  18. Darryl

Hillary Clinton is tell the people of West Virginia anything and everything that she thet wants to hear to get their vote....

This woman is lying, lying she is not telling the truth.. listen you what she say under her breath.... She is just lying.....

May 12, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  19. Tom in Raleigh

Amazing how Obama claims he will pull everyone together, yet his supporters and mentors are hateful, racist and discriminatory. Much of Obama's support comes from people that are intimidated, afraid they will be branded as racists if they oppose the black candidate. The rest comes from miltant thinking extremists who trash good Americans and anyone else who does not join their negative agenda. He is truly not "the same old politics". Obama is something much worse.

May 12, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  20. sherrie50

Obama has taken the Black vote for granted, and I will not be moved as a Black female. I don't want a candidate patronizing me. Don't blame HC for the problems, but ask BO what will he do for the Black people who put him in power. The day will come as soon as he is in office. The answer is a resounding NOTHING.

May 12, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  21. crat3

Obama and his superdelegates are now maneuvring with an end run to prevent Sen Clinton from winning the nomination at the conclusion of the Democratic nomination process. This was the purpose of the superdelegate endorsements Friday, Saturday and Monday and this subversion will continue.

Obama and his superdelegates have chosen to take the Democratic Party down the path of a train wreck in November. This is entrenching votes for McCain. Obama will crash and burn in November if he swipes the nomination.

May 12, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  22. Doug R.

Fatal Attraction was an intense/ dramatic movie when it came out. I wonder whta Michael Douglas and Glenn Close think of this analogy...
    What can we compare to the two faced, flip flopping John McCain to??

May 12, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  23. W

This is an outrageous, sexist thing to say and I will be sending a donation to Mr. Cohen's opponent.

Obama and his supporters are dividers, not uniters, and this is just one more example of why Obama will not win in November. He and his advisors are divisive across all demographic groups.

Obama should drop out of the race now before he further divides the country, let alone the party.

May 12, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  24. Joey the "T" from Burbank

She reminds me of the Angela Landsbury character in "The Manchurian Candidate" . . . spooky!

May 12, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  25. Matt, PA

As I have said before, the only reason that eveyone wants Hillary to drop out is because they are trying to bring out "the young voters". Not only that but because they know that when she does get the FL and MI delegates seated, she'll be ahead, and poor Mr. Obama will have to cry his eyes out while he's trying to think of how she planted him right in the ground...She can and will show everyone that she has the power and that shes the one driving the bus, and after its all over with, well, let's just say she'll know what to do on day one...VOTE HILLARY FOR PRESIDENT!!!
    _____________________________________________________
    And I WON'Tvote for Obama if he gets the nomination, I'll vote for John Mccain.

May 12, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |