May 12th, 2008

Obama backer compares Clinton to 'Fatal Attraction' character

An Obama supporter and Tennessee congressman is comparing Clinton to Glenn Close in 'Fatal Attraction.'

(CNN) - Several of Barack Obama's supporters have publicly urged Hillary Clinton to withdraw from the presidential race, but Tennessee Rep. Steve Cohen was especially blunt.

Speaking to a Memphis TV station over the weekend, Cohen compared Clinton to Glenn Close’s character in the movie "Fatal Attraction."

Close played an obsessed and mentally unstable woman who refused to end an affair with a married man, despite his repeated urgings. In the movie’s final scene, Close's character appears to have drowned in a bathtub, but re-emerged before getting fatally shot.

"Glenn Close should have stayed in that tub, and Sen. Clinton has had a remarkable career and needs to move to the next step, which is helping elect the Democratic nominee," Cohen said.

Cohen's office released an apology from the congressman soon after he made the comments.

"I sincerely apologize for the comments I made about Senator Clinton's campaign," he said in the statement. "I have great respect for Senator Clinton as a US Senator. She has waged an historic campaign which has done much to break the glass ceiling. My comments obviously do not reflect the sentiments of Senator Obama or the Obama campaign. Nor do they reflect my opinion of Senator Clinton whom I have known for years and admire. My hope is that our party will come together to work to defeat John McCain."

Cohen endorsed Obama on February 4, one day before the Super Tuesday contests.

1. Ann frantti

Another example of the continual personal attacks by the Obama camp ...as they continually claim to not be running a negative campaign..
    Obama is nasty and so are his supporters
    I would never never never vote for Obama..never!!

May 12, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  2. Houston

I wish I had $50 to waste.

May 12, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  3. Letha, Sioux Falls, SD

So, who is waging the negative comment campaign? An Obamantion groupie, who is this man? He can compare Clinton to an insane person because Clinton wants to be fair and let everyone have a chance to vote. My state is one of the last to vote and how dare he say my voice doesn't count. It's those comments that will put McCain in office and it will have nothing to do with Clinton.

May 12, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  4. Jo

Rep. Cohen has a primary opponent by the name of Nikki Tinker. She probably supports Obama also but at least has the sensitivity to be polite. I think I will donate to her. Rep. Cohen words do matter and just because you are in a tough primary in a predominantly African American district does not require you to insult and demean Hillary Clinton to win the support of your district.

May 12, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  5. Christine

And it is these comments that are part of the reason Clinton supporters will vote McCain. If the Obama supporters think they win the election without us, they are in for a big surprise.Even if Clinton asks her supporters to back Obama, I will not. Why? I don't agree with his views.

May 12, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  6. Mary

I cannot believer the way Obama supporters were talking regarding people in West Va. and Ky on one of the comments section the other day. My Dad was a coal miner from Ky., we lived in Va.,which our county went for Hillary by the way, and after he retired from Bethlehem Steel after 35 years in the coal mines, he put sprinkling systems in coal mines in West Va. Let me see some of you young Obama supporters walk one mile in his shoes. The people in those areas are hard working, honest people who have a very good education. I think we should listen to them because they know what they are doing by supporting Hillary. People following Obama are pathetic by blindly letting him lead you to the slaughter. This may be the first time someone in my family vote Republican. At least McCain fought for his country.

May 12, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  7. Freida NYC

Mark,

I am glad that you realize this is one of the reasons, why Hillary supporters like myself will not vote for Obama. You said it nicely!
    Thank you!

May 12, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  8. robb

What goes around..........

Right Carville?

May 12, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  9. JPR

Try the Meryl Streep character in the Manchurian Candidate (version with Denzel W.). Hillary reminded me of her way back last fall with her persona of lies and corruption.

Go check it out. I can't believe people can't see how unbelievably power-hungry Hillary is. Do they think she became Seantor of NY to help the people of NY? Anyone who thinks so is confused, at best.

May 12, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  10. Barbara-California

Very Agressive Behavior......that is the description of everything that Hillary does and says.....does this describe the temperment of most women in the United States? I say no.

Then why are so many women voting for her? It is because, the women themselves hope for equality in pay, in jobs and yes, even positions in Washington. They would vote for Imelda Marcos if she were running, and believe me, Imelda Marcos was a thief.....if the shoe fits......wear it!

May 12, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  11. For the love of this independent

Let's stop before to far. Hillary plays the gender openly. Many of her speeches call for girl power, time for a woman to be in the white house, etc. However I wonder if she will use this.

When Obama was called a snake oil salesman and a boy, he let it go and did not let it become an issue.

Will Hillary do the same or use it as another rallying cry to get more women support.

I know many women believe that Hillary is your best shot at the presidency. But Obama came out of nowhere and I am sure the is another woman out there somewhere with the same appeal.

May 12, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  12. smokesignals

Aw, come one. She's virtually asking for these kinds of attacks. Anyone with an ounce of dignity and sense of purpose, along with the best interests of the party, would be out of this race now. As distasteful as it is, it did NOT come from Obama himself.
    The same comparison had already been drawn by others. It's just too obvious.

May 12, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  13. MIscreant

That Senator Clinto would continue to spend her own money on an obviously losing cause is interesting. How do we think she would spend tax payers hard earned money if she were president.

May 12, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  14. Bette

OK maybe is now time for the ol' zipper check ...OK boys...one two three-check-is IT (the little guy behind the zipper) still there after a strong woman has been fighting hard for what she wants and believes this country deserves??? Geez. This is what turns me off about Obama–his crazy supporters. I have said all along, I will vote for Obama if he gets it, but things like this are making me think twice now. I am digusted with the oh so superdelegates–Obama's under the radar sexist salms and snake oil salesman pitches, Obama supporters spending more time on tearing down a woman who has spent her life in working hard for change and the Democratic party than on McCain or even on stating why we should support their candidate-you wanna talk crazy... Sexism is so accepted in this country-powerful women are so scary....again-do a zipper check guys and get past the castration fears-

May 12, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  15. A white woman for Obama

The true democrats will unite for change.

Hillary supporters should quit w/ the bitter pills, and think about what a vote for McCain will do for their own future. Some of these comments show what 'poor' losers sound like.

If you want to reverse Roe v. Wade al in the name of your support for a 'woman' President, proceed with your bitterness and support of McCain.

If you want your kids to go to Iraq to fight a pointless war, proceed with your bitterness and support of McCain.

Get informed. Support change and a vote to improve our current state of affairs.

May 12, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  16. Farrell, Houston, Tx

The "Fatal Attraction" in this whole fiasco is the public viewers, we just can't stop reading and blogging.

May 12, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  17. David in Chicago

With all honestly you could have a rock running from Dem this time around and I think most of us would vote for it over McSame. For those who are so caught up in this primary that you'll hit the nuke button before you'll reason with your stubborn ideas... shame on you... ESPECIALLY if your a woman!

Obama 2008 (but WILL vote Clinton if she wins!!)

-Dave (Someone who can swallow pride for a greater cause!)

May 12, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  18. Randy M

No question Cohen's statement was out of line but to attack Obama for it is ludicrous. Hillary and friends have bashed Obama on virtually everything from intelligence to race. I have no problem having a woman in the White House but NOT this woman. She is polarizing, devisive and more than a little dishonest. The annointed one has been defeated people. She ran a lousy campaign and spent her money foolishly. If she can't manage a campaign how on earth do you expect her to run our nation.

Stop wasting your time and money. Obama will be the nominee and there is NO WAY she'll be the VP. And that IS her fault, for the way she's campaigned.

May 12, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  19. Independent

Hillary get out of the race, unless you have 20 million more dollars to throw in your fiery furnace because your campaign is dead.

Democratics let's take on John McCain and the Republicans (Our real Enemies)

Don't be sour Clinton supporters get behind Sen. Obama in support of a Democratic White House this fall. Don't let your antipathy/prejugdice/bigotry blind you and aide the Republicans in Bankrupting this nation.

Vote for your interests Vote Obama for President

Not This Time!

Obama '08

May 12, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  20. kathy williams

Tell the rep from Tennessee to wait until November and we will see who should have been nomiated ....and that should have benn Hilliary Clinton not some inexperienced junior Senator with no knowledge of foreign policy or any type of other experience.....I cant wait til McCain wins and we can say...told you so......I hve been a Democrate all my life but am switching and will vote for McCain...and so are many, many people I talk to.......

May 12, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  21. beevee

Please don't make such derogatory comments about the candidate(s). It does not help to heal the party bruises.

May 12, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  22. pinky_50

You know I almost feel sorry for HRC. I really did like her but I have lost respect for her...BIG TIME!. Come on..stop being selfish and start getting behind our nominee which will be Barack. You have been a great canidate and a smart lady. But please let's move on and stop denying that it is over. Please!! For the sake of the dem

May 12, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  23. CW in DC

I am dismayed and can only shake my head at the comments I'm reading from both sides of the camp. It's plain to see that it isn't the candidates that are dividing the Democratic party, it's the supporters. The end to the primaries will bring great sadness because it's not enough we look at Iran, Israel, China, Myanmar, Darfur, and other countries and see the kind of infighting and separation that tears those countries apart. How are we any different than them if we are to call ourselves a nation that wants to lead. We're pouring humanitarian support and money into countries but have tornadoes, storms, and other disasters ripping through our own country. To state the obvious AMERICAN people are dying folks?!?! Not black, not white, not Hispanic, not Mexican – AMERICANS. Not just here but abroad in a senseless war that many of you are willing to cast your vote for someone who wants to continue it and do it out of spite and revenge. I talked to an uncle over the weekend who is a Vietnam war vet and the comparisons he placed between Iraq and Vietnam made my mouth go dry. I will fight tooth and nail, if in 14 years my son is being called up to fight a war we have no business being in. Clinton supporters – do you feel that way about your child/children?

It's no wonder we're the laughing stock and epitome of hypocrisy in the eyes of other countries. LOOK AT US ON THESE BLOGS!! I remain hopeful, even as there are those who think that hope means nothing. I am hopeful that we call can come together and take this country back and make it 'BY THE PEOPLE FOR THE PEOPLE'. The first line of the constitution for those that didn't know.

May 12, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  24. Carrie, MT

I'm a Clinton supporter and I think it will be time for Hillary to leave after the last state has been counted. But I also think the Obama supporters should give her a break. She was the first serious woman candidate and it wasn't easy. They both deserve kudos for what they did.

America 08

May 12, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  25. laughed out loud

This is hilarious. Sheila, I'm sure the fifty bucks will go a long way in knocking out that twenty million dollar debt.

May 12, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |