May 12th, 2008

Obama backer compares Clinton to 'Fatal Attraction' character

An Obama supporter and Tennessee congressman is comparing Clinton to Glenn Close in 'Fatal Attraction.'

(CNN) - Several of Barack Obama's supporters have publicly urged Hillary Clinton to withdraw from the presidential race, but Tennessee Rep. Steve Cohen was especially blunt.

Speaking to a Memphis TV station over the weekend, Cohen compared Clinton to Glenn Close’s character in the movie "Fatal Attraction."

Close played an obsessed and mentally unstable woman who refused to end an affair with a married man, despite his repeated urgings. In the movie’s final scene, Close's character appears to have drowned in a bathtub, but re-emerged before getting fatally shot.

"Glenn Close should have stayed in that tub, and Sen. Clinton has had a remarkable career and needs to move to the next step, which is helping elect the Democratic nominee," Cohen said.

Cohen's office released an apology from the congressman soon after he made the comments.

"I sincerely apologize for the comments I made about Senator Clinton's campaign," he said in the statement. "I have great respect for Senator Clinton as a US Senator. She has waged an historic campaign which has done much to break the glass ceiling. My comments obviously do not reflect the sentiments of Senator Obama or the Obama campaign. Nor do they reflect my opinion of Senator Clinton whom I have known for years and admire. My hope is that our party will come together to work to defeat John McCain."

Cohen endorsed Obama on February 4, one day before the Super Tuesday contests.

1. Rebecca

You might want to fix that first paragraph. I don't think Hillary Clinton urged herself to withdraw from the race...

May 12, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  2. Cohen is an Idiot

Cohen is an idiot. Hopefully he will never receive a vote from a woman, or man again.

May 12, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  3. Gill

I guess this is the level of comparison Cohen gives his family members when they are determined to make something happen – be it right or not!

May 12, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  4. BettiH, Indianapolis, IN.

I can see that happening.

May 12, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  5. proud army and navy mom

it's true. no apology necessary.

May 12, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  6. LB

hahahaha!!

May 12, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  7. ANNIA

Ok, who is divisive now? It's bovious that Obama's supporters are hateful & trying to destroy HRC any which way they can, so their candidate won't have to feel the pressure...otherwise, he might just crack!!!

If Hillary is not the nominee, Mr. Barr, here I come...

May 12, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  8. Tee-off in CA

"obsessed and mentally unstable " yep that sounds just like the "Queen of Denial"

May 12, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  9. CT in CT

HRC needs to get out now and start the healing of rifts in the party she is destroying for personal glory.

People have said that Bill Clinton didn't have the nomination sewn up until June and won. The results were that he garnered 43% in the GE with Bush I and Perot splitting the Republican vote.

With about half of HRC's supporters saying they refuse to vote for Obama in the GE, cutting off their noses to spite their faces, it is evident WE NEED TO COME TOGETHER SOONER RATHER THAN LATER!

May 12, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  10. Let's Please be respectful from PA

I am an ardent Obama supporter but I believe that these types of comments are inappropriate. I think Sen. Clinton has a right to remain in the race until she is satisfied. There are 2 weeks left, as long as it is kept clean, I think everyone needs to relax. Comparing her tenacity to some Psycho stalker is wrong. I don't think her supporters are crazy, I think that they believe in her and many women are just plain proud of her accomplishment. As I have said I am an Obama supporter but I admire Sen. Clintons zeal, and she should not be disrespected by her peers.

May 12, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  11. Bismarck West Virginia

This is outrageous! This is a typical example of startegic undermining of Obama Candidacy by people who are apparently for him in public but might have diabolic hidden designs on his campaign going forward. Otherwise how could a seasoned politician make this kind of comment in this stage of the race if not purely to alienate more of clintons supporters and harden thier resolve against uniting around the eventual democratic party;s nominee. We Clinton supporters and Strong democrats are not dumb and will continue to resist all agenda to hurt this great party in the fall elections

May 12, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  12. sacto joe

Cohen is an idiot. I'm an Obama supporter but I'd vote for Clinton if she won the nomination.

May 12, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  13. Dell, Laurel, MD

I agree. She is in a state of denial that only lightening can strike her from. She is pretty darn selfish. She absolutely refuses to believe she has been beaten by Mr. Obama. Get a clue...it's over.

May 12, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  14. Marshall

Truth hurts some times.

May 12, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  15. White male for Obama

Hey CNN do you think it easy to let go?

Months ago Hillary was the Queen presidency annointee now she is fighting with shame. She won't just bow out with shame although sooner the better.

she can't do no more damage to Obama now, because she has done her worst. An if she does more damages , she will never run on democratic platform again.

Yes every one will compare her to anything , but you know it is not easy to stop believing that you have lost.

May 12, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  16. I used to be a Democrat

See... there they go again, those Obamanazis, as they are being known. Nothing but hate coming from Obama supporters.

May 12, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  17. It's soon over

That is reallly low. I am not a Hillary supporter but she does deserve respect. This is very sexist and gives the impression that strong powerful women are mentally ill. Shame on this man.

May 12, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  18. Jonathan

Sexism is the unseen cancer that is holding America and perhaps humainty back from achieving so much that we otherwise could. The comments of the representative make me physically sick. What a clear reflection of the attitude of Americans towards women in general.

May 12, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  19. mitchell from arkansaw

never apologize for speaking the truth.she does appear obsessed and mentally unstable.she should drop out and go into a recovery program.

May 12, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  20. Maya wants to see a DEM IN THE WHITE HOUSE!!

Please, Dems, I know that we all feel very strongly about our candidates, and that is a GREAT THING, but we need to remember how important it is for us to WIN THE WHITE HOUSE BACK IN NOVEMBER.

Keeping that in mind, please please please PLEASE, if you are a Democrat, vote for the Democratic nominee in November. Whoever he or she may be. I have a strong preference just like the rest of you, but I will vote for our nominee, when we have one, and I hope the rest of you will also.

Don't forget that Hillary and Barack have WAY MORE in common with one another than either does with McCain.

NO MORE BUSH IN 08!!! thanks for reading.

May 12, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  21. Mr. Republican

VERY SEXIST STATEMENT. OBAMA SHOULD DENOUNCE THIS STATEMENT AND HIS BACKER.

May 12, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  22. silence do good

More negative sexist attacks by Obama through his surrogates. He endorses this all the time. Shame on Obama for this kind of derrogatory hate speech.

Would people allow Obama to be compared to negative racist stereotypes? I don't think so. But it is apparently still OK to say anything about a woman.

What possible bearing does this have to the current issues Obama? You are not slick enough to say it in person.

Is this the "change" we can look forward to?

May 12, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  23. innocent bystander

Hill-arious

May 12, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  24. lars

Actually, I prefer to compare Clinton to the monster
    in 'Alien"

May 12, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  25. Sheila

Add him to the list of chauvenist comments made against Hillary Clinton throughout this campaign.

It is the reason I gave another $50 to her campaign today.

she is fight for ALL women and men like him and Ted Kennedy and patrick Leahy need to understand.

We are going to rise up, leave the democratic party if they don't shut up.

May 12, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |