May 12th, 2008

Obama backer compares Clinton to 'Fatal Attraction' character

An Obama supporter and Tennessee congressman is comparing Clinton to Glenn Close in 'Fatal Attraction.'

(CNN) - Several of Barack Obama's supporters have publicly urged Hillary Clinton to withdraw from the presidential race, but Tennessee Rep. Steve Cohen was especially blunt.

Speaking to a Memphis TV station over the weekend, Cohen compared Clinton to Glenn Close’s character in the movie "Fatal Attraction."

Close played an obsessed and mentally unstable woman who refused to end an affair with a married man, despite his repeated urgings. In the movie’s final scene, Close's character appears to have drowned in a bathtub, but re-emerged before getting fatally shot.

"Glenn Close should have stayed in that tub, and Sen. Clinton has had a remarkable career and needs to move to the next step, which is helping elect the Democratic nominee," Cohen said.

Cohen's office released an apology from the congressman soon after he made the comments.

"I sincerely apologize for the comments I made about Senator Clinton's campaign," he said in the statement. "I have great respect for Senator Clinton as a US Senator. She has waged an historic campaign which has done much to break the glass ceiling. My comments obviously do not reflect the sentiments of Senator Obama or the Obama campaign. Nor do they reflect my opinion of Senator Clinton whom I have known for years and admire. My hope is that our party will come together to work to defeat John McCain."

Cohen endorsed Obama on February 4, one day before the Super Tuesday contests.

1. Ratgurl

As an Obama supporter, I understand the frustration out there toward Hillary & her stubbornness, but this commentary was highly inappropriate. Let's stick to the issues, shall we?

May 12, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  2. Oren Ovadia, California

It is not over until the Fat lady sings.... and she hasn't sang yet!!!! If Hillary will not get the Nom. I wish she will pull a Liberman... to teach all the Democrats a good lesson. At this point she has nothing to lose, she will stil be the great First Lady and the Great Senator of New York. People forget... how good she is. But, we will never know about Obama cause he will never win the General Election. Supporters of Hillary like me, we rather vote for Mccain than Obama. It is not because he is Black, it's because we just dont believe in him.

May 12, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  3. PR, Washington

I understand why he had to apologize, however, she does remind you someone along those lines.

HRC is only trying to take Obama out and along with him those of us who are democrats and give us several more years of hardship that would be her happy ending.

May 12, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  4. Melinda Charlotte, NC

I trulty do not know from where Hillary Clinton draws her strength. These tyes of attacks on her character that have been ocurring throughout this process have thoroughly incensed her supporters. I simply do not understand why people fill the need to throw such vitriol and hatred on any human being, not just Hillary Clinton, but anyone. I really do not see how she is able to put up with it. The vapidity of the American people truly brings tears to my eyes. Hillary-do not run with Obama even if he asks. You do not need to do anything to help either him or his lunatic supporters. Just let them go down in flames in November; they deserve it.

May 12, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  5. frank

If HIllary really thought that the gas tax holiday was a good idea why isnt she introducing it in Washington instead of talking about it. Wake up WV.

May 12, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  6. Low blow

I have seen some of the most despicable comments from all kinds of people during this campaign. Does competition have to bring out the worst in humanity? Obama supports vs Hillary supporters – we should all be unified this time. The sexist and racist stuff is diappointing to say the least. This man is shameless.

May 12, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  7. David, Santa Rosa, CA

Oh my... I can hear both Obama supporters and Hillary supporters havinga field day with this article.

Let the comments commence!

May 12, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  8. MovingOn

It's easy to issue an apology but harder to think before you speak. You can say all day long that you want the party to unite but when you make spiteful remarks like this I'm afraid I don't believe you.

I harbor no ill will to Clinton, it was a race and Obama has basically won and we move on. Had Clinton won I would still vote Democrat because they are nearly identical on the issues which is why the race has been so close I'm sure.

May 12, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  9. Carl from Dallas

So it's ok to compare her to a movie character that was insane and tried to murder a family, but it's not ok to actually state the results of how people are voting based on race and talk about it...

how stupid are we? must be really x 50 stupid...

May 12, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  10. Martin

I think Hillary is doing the right thing because the race for the nomination is to close to call Obama the nominee. I believe that the best superdelegates are those who stay quiet for now.

May 12, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  11. Ray

"Adults" who are filling up internet blog sites claiming how they'll never vote for Obama in the general are being childish. They need to grow up..

May 12, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  12. A. Harrison in Georgia

Sexism alive and well. No one notices though.

May 12, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  13. Are u kidding me??

Yes, let's tell our kids that it's a bad thing to be a fighter and to never want to quit.

May 12, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  14. Now that's funny

I hate to laugh...But that's funny....
    It is getting pretty ridiculous...

May 12, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  15. mick

Can't tell me he does not have a gender problem, but of course this is acceptable she is only the ex-First Lady.
    Clinton supporters will never stand down, we fight like Senator Clinton does.
    The DNC blew it again....Go Howard!!!!!!!

May 12, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  16. Kenneth M

HE IS ONLY SAYING WHAT EVERYONE IS THINKING.

May 12, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  17. Eddie G

It may have been harsh, but on the Money!

May 12, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  18. Hoosier

Another unprofessional, immature male chauvinist who feels threatened by a powerful, highly educated woman. Hillary has taken so much grief from the men, DNC and the media, but she held her ground. She can run circles around Obama!!! It will all come out....

May 12, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  19. factsarereal

hahahahahahahahha.................................hillary is a looser................

May 12, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  20. jerry romero

Hillary has been the most qualified and electable candidate since day one. The issues beg for and common sense calls for EXPERIENCE.

May 12, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  21. Mike

This is a prime example of what is wrong with America!!!

Instead of looking at each candidate on their merits... they are being judged by race and gender!!! This goes against everything this country was founded on... everyone should be ashamed of themselves!!!

May 12, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  22. Katie

Unbelievable! Well what do you expect from a guy who went against the will of his constituency! What loyalty!

What do you think Senator Obama? Is this the "new" politics or the "old?" What about your earlier statements (when you were behind in the polls) that the Superdelegates should vote with their districts? Hillary won Tennessee!

Oh, it's "new" politics when it benefits you, I guess

May 12, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  23. Capt. Smash, Salt Lake City, Utah

It is funny how Hillary wants to stay in the past. Things are so differnt now.

I GOT SOME NEWS FOR HER HERE OUT WEST! OBAMA WELL WIN:

OREGAN
    WASHINGTON
    TEXAS
    SD
    ND
    NM

Obama is going to change the map mark my words. You see out west we do live in the past we always look forward. People back east seem to hold on to there BITTER past! The media has no clue about how people here out west feel about Obama. It's always about the eastern states for the media.

May 12, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  24. matt

THE DUDE WAS AS EQUALLY INSANe.... they died together at the end too 😉 good movie

May 12, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  25. Eric

All Hilary supporters please vote Mccain, My sons are in iraq and all I want is to have them in harms way even longer. This war is a joke and all you hilary supporters who say they are going to vote McCain can then look me straight in the eyes and tell me you did just that when I get that call my sons are not coming home ever again. We need to vote democrat whether its hilary or obama. We need to unite and stop the republicans from putting all americans in harms way, whether its with Iraq or with our economy.

May 12, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |