May 12th, 2008

Obama backer compares Clinton to 'Fatal Attraction' character

An Obama supporter and Tennessee congressman is comparing Clinton to Glenn Close in 'Fatal Attraction.'

(CNN) - Several of Barack Obama's supporters have publicly urged Hillary Clinton to withdraw from the presidential race, but Tennessee Rep. Steve Cohen was especially blunt.

Speaking to a Memphis TV station over the weekend, Cohen compared Clinton to Glenn Close’s character in the movie "Fatal Attraction."

Close played an obsessed and mentally unstable woman who refused to end an affair with a married man, despite his repeated urgings. In the movie’s final scene, Close's character appears to have drowned in a bathtub, but re-emerged before getting fatally shot.

"Glenn Close should have stayed in that tub, and Sen. Clinton has had a remarkable career and needs to move to the next step, which is helping elect the Democratic nominee," Cohen said.

Cohen's office released an apology from the congressman soon after he made the comments.

"I sincerely apologize for the comments I made about Senator Clinton's campaign," he said in the statement. "I have great respect for Senator Clinton as a US Senator. She has waged an historic campaign which has done much to break the glass ceiling. My comments obviously do not reflect the sentiments of Senator Obama or the Obama campaign. Nor do they reflect my opinion of Senator Clinton whom I have known for years and admire. My hope is that our party will come together to work to defeat John McCain."

Cohen endorsed Obama on February 4, one day before the Super Tuesday contests.

1. San Fran Loves Obama!

Excellent comparison and no apology needed – both women (Glenn Close's character and Hillary) are desperate and do not know when to stop!

May 12, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  2. Greg

I don't see her as Fatal Attraction, but more like the jock who can't leave the game.

And to all of you Hillary supporters who say you won't vote for Obama. I say shame on you. If that is what you are truely going to do. Then you were never a member of the Democratic Party and you should vote with the Republicans. I can't believe you would be so petty, because your candidate lost. This isn't the NFL or MLB and your favorite team lost. This is about our future. You realize staying home or voting for Mcsenile will further destroy this country. Hillary is done and everyone knows it, but her. She ran a great late campaign, but it was to late to save her. It's time to look forward get together and get the Republicans out of the White House.

May 12, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  3. AMG

How low can you get??!!
    Another reason to never vote for Obama. If not clinton McCain is my candidate, at least we would have a man in the cnter and really honest

May 12, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  4. Hoosier

Another unprofessional, immature male chauvinist who feels threatened by a powerful, highly educated woman. Hillary has taken so much grief from the men, DNC and the media, but she held her ground. She can run circles around Obama!!! It will all come out....

May 12, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  5. Tim

I am a die-hard Obama supporter. Yes, there is desperation in the Clinton Camp, but I would not go as far as to compare her to the Fatal Attraction character. But I do think her conduct is unacceptable in that I believe that the end she is willing to go to do not justify the means!!! It is a fact that her only path to the nomination is to cause racial divide. America, we need to stand up with one voice that it is unacceptable. This is serious business that is way bigger than the candidates and this election. If this strategy is not checked now will cause lasting damage on this entire country, let alone the Democratic Party.

Unite to fight!!!
    Obama 08/12!!!

May 12, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  6. 60 year old white female, Mo

Hillary is done, toasted... Democrats you will need to deal with Obama as a nominee. If you don't , which is your right... vote Bush 3rd term.... war , worse economy, high gaz price. lost jobs... Think very well... Don't just be stupid...

May 12, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  7. Jack

Politics of Change? Obama feaks are mean and ridiculous. This primary season is not over left; we only have 3 more weeks. These jerks need to get a life. Obama has not yet won the nomination. I will absolutely NOT vote for Obama in November. His speeches are great but his campaign has been negative and the media has never reported on it.

May 12, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  8. Arkim

So jokes are not allowed anymore?...by Democrats for that matter!!
    So much for democracy and freedom of speech!

May 12, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  9. Roger

Hillary supporters, stand steadfast for the best candidate.

Write in Hillary Clinton in November!

May 12, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  10. Tony

Why would a democrat vote republican? To be honest I don't like Hillary but if the tables were turn I'd vote for her over McCain in a heartbeat so lets stop being SELFISH and be loyal to your party and stop finding excuses. We all know Obama is better than McCain.

May 12, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  11. Anonymous

Cohen is a jerk. IIf a woman doesn't do what he thinks she should, that makes her a psycho?

May 12, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  12. Tony, Powell, OH

Are ANY of you Democrats STILL of the belief that you're more civil than Republicans? The amount of bile and vileness that has been seen from the candidates, other Democratic political figures, and MANY MANY MANY Democrat bloggers is frankly unreal and pathetic. You've actually raised the bar re: pettiness, mean-spiritedness, snippy comments, and naive stupidity. Nice job, Democrats!

13. Joe

We cant let her be President. What if she menstruates all over some important legislation??

14. Dave

Obama, please denounce and reject him any other person that says something offensive.

15. sportnut

Glad he is not in Pennsylvania, what an idiot.

16. Craig T

No need to apologize for speaking the truth.

17. Laura

Shame on you CNN for this insane stupid article. It just proves how biased you really are. And this is supposed to be a news ticker story. CNN is one of Obama's main supporters and without CNN Obama would be nothing.
    I'm still saying NObama in the election.
    My vote will be for someone that has some sort of idea what is going on and Obama needs a little more experience and CNN needs a few unbiased writers who are not obsessed with the ObamaCult. I'm so sick of the mean comments and haters following Obama!!

18. John

Would these "prominents" shut up already and let the American people vote it out? Enough of calling for one candidate or the other to give up. That's not how it works. There are alot of people out there that still haven't had their say so to those of you that have voted.. respect your fellow citizen. This process isn't damaging the party. It's getting people on every side to stand up on their hind legs for a change. Good.

19. Tjaye

Okay...to all of the whiny HRC supporters complaining about this joke. Vote for Obama!! He promises a sense of humor to all Americans not born with one!!

LOL

Obama O-8!!

20. Esther from Cuyahoga Falls Ohio

IF THE SHOE FITS WEAR IT

21. JR

rev wright looks like obama is obama wright for america????

22. Julie Wilson

Excuse me, I must be going deaf but I have yet to hear the fat lady sing. It ain't over til it's over, folks!

People under hypnosis rarely realize it, for example the Obamamanics.

23. James B. New Jersey

As a man I don't think it is chauvenistic as much as it is an unfair analogy. I think Clinton needs to stay in the race as long as she wants to. The important thing is that she does not go negative against Obama. I think the Super delegates have made that clear. No one should be telling her to get out of the race. That includes all of us Obama supporters.

Obama 08'

24. austbill

Why all the name calling and putting down of other people?
    Hillary Clinton is a smart, dedicated and capable person and has every right to continue this contest.

25. Hillary's Fantastic Adventures

I want to hear from James Carnival. I love his clownish ways. Maybe we should put James face on a milk carton with the caption: "Where in the world is James the Clown?"

Haven't heard from him since last Monday...... I wonder why......

BRING OUT THE CLOWNS AND FOLLOW THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD BACK HOME DOROTHY