May 12th, 2008

Obama backer compares Clinton to 'Fatal Attraction' character

An Obama supporter and Tennessee congressman is comparing Clinton to Glenn Close in 'Fatal Attraction.'

(CNN) - Several of Barack Obama's supporters have publicly urged Hillary Clinton to withdraw from the presidential race, but Tennessee Rep. Steve Cohen was especially blunt.

Speaking to a Memphis TV station over the weekend, Cohen compared Clinton to Glenn Close’s character in the movie "Fatal Attraction."

Close played an obsessed and mentally unstable woman who refused to end an affair with a married man, despite his repeated urgings. In the movie’s final scene, Close's character appears to have drowned in a bathtub, but re-emerged before getting fatally shot.

"Glenn Close should have stayed in that tub, and Sen. Clinton has had a remarkable career and needs to move to the next step, which is helping elect the Democratic nominee," Cohen said.

Cohen's office released an apology from the congressman soon after he made the comments.

"I sincerely apologize for the comments I made about Senator Clinton's campaign," he said in the statement. "I have great respect for Senator Clinton as a US Senator. She has waged an historic campaign which has done much to break the glass ceiling. My comments obviously do not reflect the sentiments of Senator Obama or the Obama campaign. Nor do they reflect my opinion of Senator Clinton whom I have known for years and admire. My hope is that our party will come together to work to defeat John McCain."

Cohen endorsed Obama on February 4, one day before the Super Tuesday contests.

1. Mirror Mirror

SCREAM!!!!!

Clinton supporters.....please look in the mirror and repeat over and over, "Obama picks up 4 more super delegates today".

May 12, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  2. Completely sick of it....Hampton VA

You know Im sorry but the more I read these posts the more I begin to think that maybe JUST maybe "Operation Chaos" is in these political blogs!!

May 12, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  3. Hilda

I wish everyone would just stop crying about every single things that is said about Hillary. She is acting like Glen Close, but her acting is not quite up to Glen's. Everyone take a chill, Someone gave her a $50 donation to her because of that statement, see something good did come out of it!!!

May 12, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  4. H HEIDI

No need of an apology. You hit the nail on the head the first time. Sen. Clinton is trying to destroy Sen Obama. I feel she believes it her as the democratic nominee or no democractic will win the White House.

But don't fret. This is almost over and the "FAT LADY" with or without the pant suit is warming up and getting ready to sing the whole song.

Heidi

May 12, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  5. Uncle Sam

The more Obama supporters rant, the more voters support McCain.

May 12, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  6. Debbie

all of you HC supporters screaming Sexism about these comments – how about your RACISIM with regards to Obama – tbut hat's okay though!!!

May 12, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  7. Roger

Write in Hillary Clinton. It will make sure that Obama will not be elected. If she dosn't win the election, McCain will. Which is still better than Obama being president.

May 12, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  8. Scott ATL

First off, Please stop blaming Obama whenever someone that supports him says something negative of Hillary. Secondly, there is no need to bash this woman.

Also, If you support Hillary, please don't say that the election was stolen from her. It was definitely her's to lose... And she did lose it.

I am an Obama supporter, and while Hillary has a lot of flaws in my book, even she does not deserve some of the remarks I read on hear. Let's be civil...

May 12, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  9. Nia - AZ by way of MN

Still a funny comment though...Hillary can be a little crazy at times...That whole Sniper fire lie, the hunting experience lie and the woman dying beacuse of no helath care lie. Lets not forget Hillary's near tear performance right before the new Hamshire Primaries, kinda reminds of the scene from the movie where she slit her wrist to gain sympothy and more time...It wouldn;t suprise me if she pulled another Oscar crying performance.

May 12, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  10. Matthew

She is full blown psycho!

She just needs to realize that Barr may need a VP, and what does Monica taste like?

May 12, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  11. Husker 4 Ever

===
    Right! But let's be honest, this is Hillary Clinton, her concern is for one person, Hillary Clinton, no more, no less.

May 12, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  12. John W., Milwaukee, WI

Steve Cohen is a TYPICAL OBAMA SUPPORTER... they only thing they have to offer is HATE, HATE, RACISM, RACISM, and more of the same:
    That is their CHANGE!

May 12, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  13. Helene

Seriously, I am MORE offended by Clinton's comments about "hard-working, white Americans" who she says supports her than by the comparison with Fatal Attraction.

May 12, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  14. Kim

I'M SO GLAD BARR DECIDED TO RUN FOR PRESIDENT

HILLARY...RUN AS AN INDEPENDENT!!! YOU WILL WIN!!

TELL THE DNC WHO HAS TREATED YOU LIKE CRAP WHERE TO STICK IT.

OBAMA, MCCAIN, AND BARR CAN SPLIT THE VOTES BETWEEN THE SEXISTS AND RACISTS THAT SUPPORT THEM.

HILLARY ........RISE....RISE!!

May 12, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  15. Thomas

Vote Obama, Vote Change a Change of HATE in the Whitehouse, we need a prez and his supporters who hate, its change we can beleive in!

May 12, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  16. Jazzd 4 Obama

This needs to stop.

The negativity from both sides has gone over the top. Let's not forget our objective here.

May 12, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  17. Donovan

Chauvenist?,

Outrageously Predjudicial, and contrary to any decency. He should
    be publicly sanctioned by his peers...and Also go back on that
    Radio Station and retract every word...

May 12, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  18. Tinisha

I'm laughing so hard right now ROTFLMAO!!!! LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

May 12, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  19. ivar

Heck! He aint wrong!!!! By the way how does Clinton define the rules....The only rules that are fair are the ones which help her to get elected...LOL.GOOOO AWAYYYYYYYY

May 12, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  20. Laura

I think that Cohen's comments are calculated and reputable. He reflected the other side of Obama's campaing and perhaps the real one. One that is deeply negative, but has the ability to appear clean. Apologizing is the least that Cohen should have done, yet I hope his disrespectful and desctructive comments open people's eyes. If Cohen is the kind of people that Obama is working with, what can you expect from Obama. Come on people, Wright, the bitter comments, and now Cohen's comments. What will it take for people to wake up and see Obama and all his supporters for what they really are.

May 12, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  21. Vivian

I have noticed that CNN have been blocking all of my posts!!!!!! I am an African-American female and Hillary supporter. I am truly amazed by the hatred (or jealousy) that has been directed toward the Clintons. I am a life-long Democrat (35 years) and for the first time in my life I find myself questioning why am a Democrat. I thought the point of having a convention was to select the candidate for the general election. Why is everyone trying to force Hillary to quit? Why were the voters in Florida and Michigan disenfranchised and none of their votes will count and why should these votes support the Democratic party in November? The press and media have been so unfair to Hillary and my husband and myself have will not be voting in the general election.

May 12, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  22. right source

Sheila, how about giving her $50 million for her campaign, because she is going to need it. Thanks

May 12, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  23. Stephany

She can't stand to be defeated. All this fighting she is doing to win the election only proves that if she gets to become President. It wasn't because she followed the rules. But because she broke them.

May 12, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  24. D.Kimbro OHIO

Ok I am an Obama supporter, and this crossed the line. We can't find anything better to do than make these stupid comparisons. How is this fair??? Stop it please!!! Just STOP

May 12, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  25. Lyz in MD

So, are you going to try to pin this one on Obama too. Obama is supported by an incredibly broad coalition, so it's ridiculous.

I do think that Clinton ought to bow out, but I don't think that a comparison to a misogynistic stereotype is appropriate. Personally, I think that Clinton considers herself Democratic party royalty and can't believe that she could lose to a _commoner_ like Obama. Which just makes the whole "elitist" thing that much more laughable.

May 12, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |