May 12th, 2008

Obama backer compares Clinton to 'Fatal Attraction' character

An Obama supporter and Tennessee congressman is comparing Clinton to Glenn Close in 'Fatal Attraction.'

(CNN) - Several of Barack Obama's supporters have publicly urged Hillary Clinton to withdraw from the presidential race, but Tennessee Rep. Steve Cohen was especially blunt.

Speaking to a Memphis TV station over the weekend, Cohen compared Clinton to Glenn Close’s character in the movie "Fatal Attraction."

Close played an obsessed and mentally unstable woman who refused to end an affair with a married man, despite his repeated urgings. In the movie’s final scene, Close's character appears to have drowned in a bathtub, but re-emerged before getting fatally shot.

"Glenn Close should have stayed in that tub, and Sen. Clinton has had a remarkable career and needs to move to the next step, which is helping elect the Democratic nominee," Cohen said.

Cohen's office released an apology from the congressman soon after he made the comments.

"I sincerely apologize for the comments I made about Senator Clinton's campaign," he said in the statement. "I have great respect for Senator Clinton as a US Senator. She has waged an historic campaign which has done much to break the glass ceiling. My comments obviously do not reflect the sentiments of Senator Obama or the Obama campaign. Nor do they reflect my opinion of Senator Clinton whom I have known for years and admire. My hope is that our party will come together to work to defeat John McCain."

Cohen endorsed Obama on February 4, one day before the Super Tuesday contests.

1. Ted

Cohen is what gives Demorcrats a bad name .This name calling is not necessary .There is nothing wrong in letting these last few states votes and Demorcrats including Obama supporters needs to quit getting their panties in a wald .Bill Clinton didn't wrap up the nomination until June 3rd .Letting all the states vote is good for the party not bad .Living on Oregon I look forward to voting no matter who I support !!! So everybody chill out and quit the name calling !!!!

May 12, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  2. Tobias

Obama is nothing more then a lying hypocrite and his supporters are a disgrace. If he cheats his way with the help of his "left wing conspiracy" and actually gets the nomination he will never be elected. Our national security is just too important to rely on a rookie senator with such horrible judgement and arrogance. A vote for Obama equals a vote for McCain.

May 12, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  3. CJ

I hope voters remember that A. hole.

May 12, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  4. Jeanne

That doesn't seem like a fair comparison... unless Clinton continues to run after all of the primaries have concluded and she is not the winner. I believe she will run all the way through to the convention but once a decision has been clearly made, she will stop. However, in this election, anything is possible.

May 12, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  5. Matthew

So Lars, when did you become a lesbian? CNN, I dare you to moderate that. It is a well know fact that she is a muff diver, hence the only reason that she is still with coke snorting Bill.

May 12, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  6. james, el paso

I'm an adamant Obama supporter, i've even held large gatherings for him in my hometown, but i'm not against Hillary, I think true Obama supporters are the ones who don't bash the other candidate, but instead embrace the party, and ultimately the ideas of both parties that they agree with, after all the Obama campaign is not out to get anyone, Obama has been part of many bills that were co-sponsored across party lines. Is he perfect? No. Is Hillary perfect? No. Is anyone perfect? Not at all.

I don't always agree with every Obama Policy, but I agree with his idea of bringing together the parties on both sides of the blue and red fence. I also believe that Hillary will eventually champion Obama as he takes on McCain, whether it is as V.P. or not. After all if she can champion a party back to health and help get Barack Obama nominated after everything she has thrown at him, I think that sends a strong signal to the party down the road that she can really turn situations around, so maybe this campaign will actually strengthen her in the future depending on the outcome.

May 12, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  7. Chuckling in California

A c'mon people. The guy must "mispoke". We all forgave Hillary for the really funny sniper fire incident that a comedian (Sinbad) had to correct her on. Why can't we forgive this one? It was kind of funny, but everyone knows it's not true. If Hillary were really like that, she would have boiled Bill's "rabbit" a decade ago.

This is America, folks, within reason, you're allowed to say what you think. Unless the Bush administration changed it when we weren't looking (they have a tendency to do that) the Constitution allows it. If we get all brittle every time someone says something silly, we're going to be really brittle all of the time.

For those of you who are just now outraged enough to contribute to Hillary's campaign, where have you been when she really needed you? If you're really for Hillary, open up your wallets and shut your mouths. In this election money rules. No money? You don't get to rule.

May 12, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  8. Marie in California

Sounds like Cohen is in the tank with Obama, so not surprised about the nature of his comment.

Well, I still support Hillary....I voted for her and I have also consistently helped with monetary contributions. And I will keep up my support.

On the other hand, I have very little so-called party loyalty, so if the nomination gets handed to Obama (which it seems the party and the MSM have been trying to do from the beginning) then my vote and my money will shift over to McCain....

....unless, of course, Hillary chooses to run as a third party candidate. Then I'll keep right on supporting her.

May 12, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  9. Democrats Rule

How in the heck this kind of stuff qualifies as national news is beyond me! People say things they shouldn't all the time – at least in my office – thank goodness that when any of the folks under my supervision spout off about something (which happens at least once a day) – I'm not supposed to 'distance myself' or disavow or whatever – I'm not responsible for what a single one of my subordinates or superiors say – I can't imagine anybody in the real world who is!

May 12, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  10. Florida democrat

to West Virginia and Kentucky:

A vote for Hillary is a vote to stretch the primary out further

The long primary has only benefited McCain:

On Tuesday, a vote for Hillary is a vote for McCain!

I supported Hillary but it is now time to unite the party to end the Bush agenda!!

Obama for President '08

May 12, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  11. EC

I'm disappointed by these types of comments. I think Americans are just getting so sick of this race dragging on and one. It's wasting so much valuable time that could be spent focusing on Sen. McCain.

I mean Sen. Clinton has every right to stay in the race, but everyone knows she's just going through the "MOTIONS' because the numbers don't lie. Her win in WVA will not only give HER some delegates, but it also gives Sen. Obama more delegates because Sen. Clinton is NOT going to win all 100% of the votes!! So, even if she gets half of the delegates, he still will GAIN in delegate numbers!!

So her winning in WVA will also be a WIN for him in numbers. Every time Sen. Obama can walk away with a PORTION of the delegate numbers, it creates a STRONGER pledged delegate base for him.

So the FAT lady has already SUNG, the problem is the Clintons are HARD of hearing!!

May 12, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  12. Thomas

"Nor do they reflect my opinion of Senator Clinton whom I have known for years and admire. My hope is that our party will come together to work to defeat John McCain"

SEE THIS IS THE PROBLEM, the Obama supporters keep saying bad things about Clinton and her supporters and then want us to join them!!!!

Are you kidding me...

McCane 08' – Don't write in Hillary, because voting McCane is voting twice vs the Obama supporters and Obama.

May 12, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  13. California Voter

You know I think one of the underlying issues in this campaign has been sexism. Frankly, I don' t see why 90 percent of the women just don't go and vote for Hillary because she is a woman the way African Americans are voting for him because he is part African American. Really! Don't expect us to vote for Obama in November if he takes this democratic primary the same way he won his other elections - dirty! Look now he is wearing a flag lapel pin (probably with the 57 states on it) prepping for the general election with McCain. Obama has never explained why he spent 20 years as a member of a black liberation church that has as its 10 point values, a "non-negotiable commitment to Africa" and a former pastor whose message is full of hate and anger. Even Oprah left that church because of the pastor's remarks. And Obama never heard them???? Give me a break.

GO HILLARY 08 if not McCain!!!

May 12, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  14. Sure

Sounds like the Obama supporters are continually driving Clinton supporters away from him. How does this do any good?

May 12, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  15. FLORIDA Voter for Barack Obama

L.O.L.O.L.

May 12, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  16. White male for Obama

Why is Bill and Hillary want to go back in the White House so badly that they won't believe the train has gone?.

They will fight to change to rule as much as they want but it will not happen.

Billary want the White house so badly they won't tell us what is at stake. In my eye everyone have the right to the white house, but in Billary's eyes they felt it belong to them.

Bill faught hard to secure the nominee for his wife, but failed. Maybe God knows why, it is time for them to let go.

May 12, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  17. Erika M. NYC

Hi- I'm an Obama supporter and I really don't think it's nice for people to bash Hillary on these blogs. I disagree with her proposed policies and her handling of her campaign but as well but we should follow the example of our noble next President, Barak Obama, who has been nothing but gracious towards Senator Clinton, despite her attacks on him. Her staying in the race is doing more damage to her own political future and if she wants to self-destruct while going broke in the process, no one should try to stop her. Yes, there are people who are going to vote for McCain simply because they will not vote for Obama but the political process isn't logical. Hopefully, those people will come to their senses and vote based on the issues and not because of hurt feelings. May the best candidate win.

May 12, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  18. Ed, Santa Fe NM

very unfair comparison to Glenn Close and her Fatal Attraction character....

Hillary is far nuttier and unstable....

May 12, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  19. Frank

Oh but Hillary can say only she can get the white vote, but not be called a racist.But if anyone makes a comment about her they are sexist? You Hillies really need to grow up, like saying you will vote for McCain instead of Obama and have 4 more years of McBush?Everyone should watch Hillary's Downfall on you tube.Now that is more like the truth.

May 12, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  20. Mkulima

A house is a house if a man is a leader! we can not deny this.

God bless our new president Barack Obama

May 12, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  21. Tony Z- MD

Must be a slow news day.

It is time for Obama and Clinton supporters need to come together. The media is spinning your thoughts and making it news. Here is an example.

1) African American support Obama at a rate around 90%. This is the same rate they support the Democratic Party.

2) Hillary Clinton is appealing to the female base. A woman should have been President or Vice-President a long time ago.

I think the a huge difference is that Sen. Clinton has made the issue of race much bigger than it needs to be. She has trampled over the African American vote due to lack of respect. Obama has not done this to blue collar workers. Some of you will talk about his pastor or bittergate, but take a long moment to think about what he was really saying.

May 12, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  22. Femi

Why should Obama be accountable for everything someone else says. Everyone has their opinion: good or bad!!!!

And for those that vote just because their candidate is in the picture, how are you not also guilty of the things you so vehemently despise???? So if Obama does not win I'll vote McCain and vice versa??? I ask is thins a case of someone who can take this country somewhere or just a personality war.

May 12, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  23. marie

This is a disgusting display from Obama supporters. There is no way he will win the general election. He will never have my vote.

May 12, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  24. vjh

Why are posters blaming Obama for Cohen's comments ? I think Obama has more important things to do than put one of his supporters up to spewing hateful comments. C'mon people, be real.

May 12, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  25. lyn

"obsessed and mentally unstable " yep that sounds just like the "Queen of Denial" Ditto

May 12, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |