May 13th, 2008

Carville: Obama likely to win nomination

James Carville is supporting Hillary Clinton's White House bid.
James Carville is supporting Hillary Clinton's White House bid.

(CNN) - James Carville has been one of Hillary Clinton's most energetic defenders, but on Monday he all but declared Barack Obama will become the Democratic nominee for president.

Speaking to students at Furman University in Greenville, South Carolina, Carville argued Clinton should stay in through the final nominating contest in early June, but said the Democratic tide appears to be moving in Obama's direction.

"I still hear some dogs barking," Carville said, according to The State newspaper. "I'm for Senator Clinton, but I think the great likelihood is that Obama will be the nominee."

"As soon as I determine when that is, I'll send him a check," he added.

Asked about who might share a ticket with Obama, Carville floated Clinton's name, as well as that of Clinton ally Gen. Wesley Clark. Carville also mentioned Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius and New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg as possible running mates, according the Greenville News.

1. Peter R

Thanks James!

May 13, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  2. ada

Obama probably will be the nominee I advise him to choose a woman for vp .that's the only way to get Hillary 's voters

May 13, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  3. Joe Regis

Oh Oh reality has finally sunk in.

God bless him.

Now can we unite behind the leader.

Go Obama go!!!

May 13, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  4. JO

SORRY OBAMA COUNT ME OUT....DID I HEAR THAT YOU WERE USING KARL ROWE FOR ADVICE, YOU DESIRVE HIM.

May 13, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  5. Zoey

People who will vote for McCain rather than Hiliary are bigots

May 13, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  6. Neal

I agree with Greg from NY. Sebelius, in my opinion, would be the ideal running mate for Barack. To my knowledge, Hillary has succeeded in drawing more female democratic and independent voters from the woodworks than have been seen in previous years. I believe Sebelius would be able to counter much of the stigma attached to Obama throughout this campaign (whether justified or not) amongst, in Hillary's campaign's words, the "white/female voters."

I'm sad that it's come to a likely minimal role in government for Hillary. She has a strong character and the ability to drum up support from various bases. I didn't support her for the Democratic nomination for President but I *did* think she would have made a good choice for majority leader. I'm not sure I believe that anymore...

The best part of this news is that Carville, one of Hillary's staunchest supporters, is showing a willingness to support the Democratic nominee. Let's hope Hillary and Bill do the same if Barack gets the nod.

May 13, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  7. A CANUCK

Wow !!!! Carville DOES have a brain in that bald head. Congratulations sir !!

May 13, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  8. Breaker

BE AWARE DEMS, THOSE CLINTON DOG BARKERS WHO CLAIM THE WON'T VOTE FOR OBAMA AND WILL SUPPORT MC BUSH COMES NOVEMBER, ARE NOTHING ELSE THEN DISGUISED REPUBLICANS !!!!

THE JUST ARE TRYING TO CAUSE PANIC.

OBAMA 08

May 13, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  9. observer

How come people keep saying Obama is black. He was born to a White MOTHER and raised by white GRANDPARENTS(that makes him as white as any white) He has odd name etc(your parents name you, just becuase its not convinient you dont change it. If he had changed name people will anyhow put him down saying he is not sure of himself etc.

Please send this message to people who think he is black, and a reason to not to vote. He is as american as we all are.Do you want a better country or a black/white/brown etc.

May 13, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  10. Todd

I'm having bumper stickers made up.
    Don't blame me I voted for Hillary!

From – Another white male without college making less than 50K per year........ who is telling you over and over and over again...... He can't win in November. Ya'll don't think he needs us...... but I'm telling you he does. BIG MISTAKE MISTAKE MISTAKE!!!!

May 13, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  11. Helen

Did I read that correctly. Mr. Carville, who has been anti-Obama this whole primary season is willing to write him a check.

Please make it payable to: Obama for America just as all my previous donations were made out to. (also send a little Hillary's way. She is reporting $20m in debt which probably equates to $40m)

Thank you...you are welcome here at Obama Central; but know that we have tolerated as much of that mouth as we're willing to take. Mr. Carville come with your mind set on UNITING THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY.

Helen
    Charlotte, NC

May 13, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  12. DIGNITY

It's clear that the Hillary campaign for president might not clinch the nomination yet I notice that the Obama supporters continue deriding the Clintons with hateful comments and I do not believe these actions, nor gloating over victory, will help unite the Democrats in fact I for one like many of my friends and family will not vote for Obama (RACE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT). There will be no honeymoon and Hillary should not be blame for it, she is doing the right thing for her supporters and what her supporters want. There is a process and she needs to see it thru.

May 13, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  13. leon

JBY and the rest of OBAMA supporters.

You do not get it yes we still believe that Hillary is a better candidate and will be a better president. You want to play by the rules the reality is that neither candidate will have the needed pledge delegates and the Super delegates the elite of the party will have to decide so as nobody I say it again nobody won the necessary delegates in popular election everything goes that is the reality. And we Hillary's supporters still think that she is a better candidate and will be a better president.

Also you Obama's supporters have been nasty and accused us of so many things playing the same game Obama has played being dishonest and pretending to be a different kind of politician who he is really not and everybody knows that so he is not different from Hillary he is just a politician so all this rethoric about change we know is BS and I will not go to the same level of frustration you guys will go if he is the nominee and elected president.

WE HIllary's supporters do not believe in Obama, did you get it now!!!!

May 13, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  14. NIC

Barack may indeed beat Hillary and get the Democratic nomination, BUT he can't and wont beat John McMain. Barack needs Hillary for those voters. White blue collar workers, older/retired, women that flock to Hillary may split and go McMain. Believe it or not, Barack and Hillary need each other to win. If he doesnt pick her as VP then there is a very good chance of a Dark day in November. Unite the party by pressuring a joint ticket. That's a win win ticket. A ticket that appeals to all of America and all demographics. Barack CAN NOT beat McCain himself, PERIOD! Mark my words, If you dont want another 4 years of Bush policies, pressure a joint ticket Barack/Hillary '08. Thats is a winning ticket. Everyone knows that. The only problem will be to get them both to agree to it.

May 13, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  15. P.A. VOTER

Dems:
    Please be aware that some of the negative comments you read on these blogs are actually Rep trying to divide us. The bottom line is whether you support Obama or Clinton you must support the DEM's nominee in the fall. We can allow MCBUSH to win because if we do then we all lose. So if you support Clinton and it looks like Obama wil be the nominee please please please vote for him. This election is to important to let emotions ruin a chance for the DEMS to take back this country and put it on the right track. WHO'S WITH ME

May 13, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  16. bill

Hillary has every right to carry on past the Primaries, onto the floor of the convention. Barack should have this primary season sewn up in another week or two. 150 delegates to go and this race is over. Let's take a look and see what this G.E. is going to mean. At least two Supreme Court Justices will be stepping down, Hundreds of federal courts need judges on the benches, We have a two front war, War drums can be heard in the distance for Iran, a brilliant Gas Tax Relief bill to further loot the treasury and cost a few thousand jobs and our infastructure, tax cuts to the corporations that move US jobs overseas, continued tax cuts for big business and the top 4%, a further extention on the suspension of the Bill of Rights, anmesty for the corporations that give your personal information to the government in the name of security, continued hype about the largest government beaurocracy, apparently designed to make you buy lighters (The TSA) trillions of dollars in debt, a continued tarnished image in the world community, and a continuing recession. Go Ahead, vote McSame.

Obama 08

May 13, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  17. bigben

You crazy obama supporters act like Obama is smart enough to fix anything. To me , he is the emperor with no clothes. People are just to scared to tell him . He is naked.

May 13, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  18. Beacon

Obama will win the primary but not the national election in November.... The Hillary voters will vote for McCain & Obama will go back to the senate with Hillary....

May 13, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  19. NGANGA,Austin TX

When the guards came to arrest Jesus ( after he was betrayed by Judas ), Peter had armed himself with a sword and he dragged it out and cut the ear off of one of the guards.
    Jesus rebuked him saying,'Peter, this is not a war of fresh and blood,it is a Spiritual Warfare'
    He (Jesus) then picked up the ear from the ground and placed it back on the guard and healed him!
    Over to you Carvillle!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 13, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  20. JTZeke

It's truly unfortunate that Hillary has pushed things as far as she has. She is the poster girl of the "sore loser". She tries to equate running in a state with no one fighting her or running against her as proving that she is the one to beat John McCain. She simply, in her greed for power, has become logically dysfuntional. Does she really believe that she can mislead intelligent people? Not to mention the party hacks and superdelagates?
    She doesn't have dogged determination, nor is she a fighter, or even a good campaigner. She is a pushy woman who has learned how to use political power to bull her way to victory on the emotions of millions of women and hard working people that deserve to enable the recapture of the American governmental process, not battle cry their way into a office that she will be the only one to benefit from.
    She is the "stereotype" of the politician that we would like to remove from Washington.

May 13, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  21. Collins Agya Yaw Yeboa Siakwan

I did not like your politics this year, but this has shown me you are a reasonable man. We will come together and win big in November with everybody playing a critical role in the campaign and in the administration.

May 13, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  22. Maria Alvarez

I am a european white female and like me in France many people think that a large amount of Hillary supporters are uneducated. So it is easy for her to manipulate them I think that it is time for her to drop out of this race and start helping to unify her party. Hillary's supporters who are claiming they will vote for McCain if she is not the nominee are just helping Republicans to keep things just as they are now, as well the economy, foreign politics, non justified invasion of other countries.... spending billions of dollars in war instead of investing in their own country for education, health care.... SO STOP FIGHTING WITH THE WIND AN SUPPORT BARACK OBAMA I AM SURE THAT HE WILL BE A GREAT PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Obama supporter from France

May 13, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  23. Lazarito

Have you noticed the lost of strength in Hillary's voice???!!!!She doesn't mean what she says!!!!!!!!She knows OBAMA is the winner!!!!!I was for Hillary ,but as she is over,I am for OBAMA ,an excellent man!I AM PROUD OF MY PARTY !!!!ALWAYS CLEANNING THE MESS LEFT BY REPUBLICANS!!!!!!!The whole world is crying out for OBAMA!!

May 13, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  24. cjm

BEWARE OF CARVILLE!!!!!!!!!!!!! He's part of the Clinton machine.

May 13, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |