May 13th, 2008

Carville: Obama likely to win nomination

James Carville is supporting Hillary Clinton's White House bid.
James Carville is supporting Hillary Clinton's White House bid.

(CNN) - James Carville has been one of Hillary Clinton's most energetic defenders, but on Monday he all but declared Barack Obama will become the Democratic nominee for president.

Speaking to students at Furman University in Greenville, South Carolina, Carville argued Clinton should stay in through the final nominating contest in early June, but said the Democratic tide appears to be moving in Obama's direction.

"I still hear some dogs barking," Carville said, according to The State newspaper. "I'm for Senator Clinton, but I think the great likelihood is that Obama will be the nominee."

"As soon as I determine when that is, I'll send him a check," he added.

Asked about who might share a ticket with Obama, Carville floated Clinton's name, as well as that of Clinton ally Gen. Wesley Clark. Carville also mentioned Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius and New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg as possible running mates, according the Greenville News.

1. Jackson

You guys do know that voting McCain this year tips the Judicial Branch heavily in the Republicans favor. The judges aren't just around during the presidency; their term is forever. Quit whining and think about the bigger picture.

May 13, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  2. Mike Hunt

Doesn't really matter. Like it or not, McCain will be the next US President.

Obama will be considered the next Dukakais or Mondale.

May 13, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  3. a turnip could beat mccain

Florida and Michigan will count but this is a moot point. as far as I can tell, Hillary lost the election when she made it about who can best beat McCain and seating Florida and Michigan. The truth is that a turnip could be McCain.

Obama's supporters voted for him because he is the best person to move the country forward. Hillary's claims that she has a better chance of beating McCain rings hollow, because she has already admitted that Obama could beat him as well. She muddied the water with all the divisiveness she added and made people realize that she is not ready to move the country forward, but only keep us mired in divisiveness. Reminding people of the Florida recount and Al Gore's loss was just more of the same. This was her biggest mistake.

Most people want to move the country forward. This includes most of Hillary's supporters. The small minority of her supporters that say Hillary, McCain, or No-Vote are not representative of a raitional electorate. If Hillary is sincere about uniting the party, then she will help Obama get elected and we will have the change that she could have brought as well, if she had tried a different strategy.

I have the utmost respect for her, but she miscalculated what was important to the American people and the longer she stays in, the more that proves true. She will continue to succeed in fostering negativity and discord. This will make it easier for the remaining superdelagates to vote against her flawed approach to electoral politics.

May 13, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  4. carolflowery

James Carville has more brains in his left hand, than Obama has in his "right brain" wish he were a republican like his wife, also a very savvy lady. HOwever, what else could he possible say at this point. He
    has said this before and that has been on NBC several times and that was even befor the NC and Indiana primaries so dont get all excited just yet. Hillary would still stand high in my book as a great lady, a First Lady, and a possible female President. Im a republican and i just cant see how the hell things have gotten so slanted and so
    so bias in the news. Actually, many news centers have called the shots in the campaigner even more so than all the strategist on either side, and for that I do find a huge dissappointment in this entire campaigne on either side

May 13, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  5. Mel

Thanks James for your definite honesty, and praise the Holy name of the Lord Christ-Jesus for what is about to do in this centuary. Changing the world and America by using Sen. Barack Obama as his main vessel. HOURRAH!!! OBAMA '08 GO.

May 13, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  6. Fred, FL

The Only Way O'Bama gets my vote is if Hillary is on his ticket for VP, otherwise I will not vote at all! He better think long and hard becasue I think alot of Clinton supporters feel the same way.

May 13, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  7. Jeronimo

GO HILLARY!!!!

I WOULD NOT SEND OBAMA 1 PENNY!!

NEVER!!!

May 13, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  8. elvis presley,freddie mercury & John Lennon

»VICTORY!...VICTORY!...The GREAT OBAMA already WON the nomination!...HURRAH!...GOODBYE Hillary "So FAKE!" Clinton!...Bye bye!...Aaaah!...We knew it.

May 13, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  9. pb

Listen I am not an Obama supporter, but the facts are the facts!! Three new justices will be names to the Supreme Court over the next 4 years, ask yourself –do we want McCain to roll back Roe-vs.-Wade - and a women's right to choose what happens to their body. This is SERIOUS people –it is no time for hurt feeling!!! GET OVER IT –I AM!! I DON'T WANT to pay $10 a gallon for gas. TOO MUCH is at stake!!

Signed,
    A Hillary supporter but a REALIST 1st

May 13, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  10. Max

sue said, on May 13th, 2008 9:59 am ET:
    "...There was a woman being interviewed in Fairmont, WV this am, that said Obama was Muslim. Now I know why Clinton appeals to the uneducated. They don't read!!!"

sue, your comment is about as ignorant as the comment made by the misinformed woman from Fairmont. "Uneducated"? Way to unite the party sue... I have two degrees and prefer Sen. Clinton to Sen. Obama (originally I was an Edwards supporter); how does that fit in to your tidy little analysis? Must people be so hurtful as they support their preferred candidate?

I'm thinking quite a few unflattering things about you right this very moment sue – but in the interests of not feeding the flames of intraparty conflict I think I'll keep them to myself. Best of luck to you and to both Democratic candidates.

Dems in '08!

May 13, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  11. Jeff

With all due respect, I could not care less what this talking demi-scrotum thinks. He is yet another Clintonite, prone to deceptive racist statements, and playing low down in the layer below the gutter.

In short, Carville needs to move his ugly head, and body, to the republican party, where he will fit right in.

May 13, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  12. CJ

I would never vote for Obama. If Obama is the nominee I will change my party to Republican, I have been a life long Dem, but not anymore. I will be voting for McCain and against any Dem. on the ticket that supported Obama. I live in a swing State.
    Obama is nothing but Anti American, Racist, and isn't it so funny, when the whites won't vote for Obama ,we are the racist, what would you call 90% blacks voting for Obama, hmmmmmmm racist.
    Obama will lose the general election, like the democrats always do, they put idoits on the ticket and wonder why the Republicans win, STUPID STUPID Dems.

May 13, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  13. Ingrid

I was in such shock I almost swallowed my tongue laughing so hard. It's tough to eat crow isn't it?

May 13, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  14. Baida

if you can not manage your campaign "$20 Million in debt". If you have no good judgment to determine when to stop or to continue at least to have a damage control or exit plan. All what happened in the last two months is a prove that not this time Hillary.

If it is walking like a duck, talking like a duck, looking like a duck, sound like a duck, then it is a .....................that's right!

Go Obama.

May 13, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  15. pb

Signed,
    A Hillary supporter but a REALIST 1st

May 13, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  16. shanta

All you Clinton supporters that keep screaming you won't vote for Obama if he is the nominee are just acting like spoiled brats who don't get their way. We've already seen what a republican has done for this country and instead of voting for someone who has some of the similar views of Hillary.... you would put the country at even more risk. I'm an Obama supporter and If he was not going to win (which he is) I would vote for Hillary. I"m not willing to put myself, my children, my family, or this country in any further risk just because I didn't get my way. Please vote and do what is right for us all in the long run. We all need to unite because we are all suffering at the pump and in the grocery store. Let's Do What Is Right For This Country As A Whole. Please don't give this election away to John McCain...This country deserves better. We need Hillary Supporters today; but you might need Obama supporters tomorrow...Let's be smart and beat John McCain...Democrats have the advantage!!!!!!!!

May 13, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  17. JJ in NY

At least Carville wasn't foaming at the mouth like a rabbid animal when he said this.....

May 13, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  18. Mike, NJ

For such an intelligent person, it sure took him awhile to realize this one. Good catch Carville.

She should bow out with some dignity, instead of continuing to get beat up. I can't wait to see the headlines and her reaction after she wins WV. She will definatley claim she's back in it, but we all know that to be false. Bye Hillary!

May 13, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  19. Becky

It is time for Democrats to unite and James Carville is leading Clinton supporters that way. Thank you.

May 13, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  20. YardoKnowsBest

Why did CNN take my comment off after posting it for a few minutes??? Here they are again:

When will James Carville (or more to the point, the Clintons) finally realize that the American public, by and large...don't want to see him showing up in their living rooms acting and even reminding them of an old washed-up grumpy turtle...calling Obama supporter Richardson "Judas", or suggesting that Obama's manhood is eclipsed by Hillary saying "she can give him one stone, and she'll still have more than he".

Another Clinton campaign strategist Paul Begallo acts in the same manner....whenever someone brings up fatcs that suggest his spin of Hillary is off-base, or gives info supporting her opponent....he goes in a direction to verbally fight (in a dirty manner) against the outspoken person. They have a strategy that if they are challenged, they will try to diminsh the character of the person verbally sparring with them so that the fight becomes the issue, confusion reigns....and people will likely forget the challengers points (No matter how valid).

These two "disgustos" embody the Clinton's strategy for winning on any issue confronting them, and I think it's high time that the timid and whimpy superdelagates finally step up to the plate to finally,and once and for all...send the Clintons on their way. We...the American public have seen quite enough of them. They've had way more than their 15 mins deserved share of fame.

May 13, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  21. Nancy, Oklahoma

I am only hopeful that all these folks that have been so critical of Obama come out and support their nominee. Ultimately the goal is to elect a DEM not another REPUB. It boggles the mind that some Hill supporters actually state they will vote for McCain instead of Obama. Antics such as those are childish and destructive to say the least. We should unite and bring about change together as a whole and not a divided party. With such divisions in play the REPUBS are guaranteed a third Bush term.

May 13, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  22. COMMON SENSE

HYPOCRITES!!!! FANATICS!!!! SPAZMANIACS!!!! EVERYONE!!!!

while contemplating Hillary's latest goal post moving – let us seriously consider what she's saying. POPULAR VOTE
    she says "LETS COUNT EVERY VOTE"

1) except MI & FL didnt count, yet – lets count their votes in the popular vote totals...and lets consider that Obama received ZERO votes in MI because he was not on the ballot, and a TON of us from mi went out and voted uncommitted for OBAMA – yet, MY VOTE wont count

2) caucus states dont count their votes and include them in the popular vote. mostly, becuase its a delegates race...but since Clinton has changed the rules for winning, we MUST count the votes of caucuses – and if we dont, then WE ARE NOT COUNTING EVERY VOTE

now, i dont want to be the bearer of bad news Clinton fans...but if she is GENIUNE about counting EVERY vote, and NOT JUST HERS...then caucuses will HAVE to count with MI & FL, and since they dont keep track of those votes, we will just have to ESTIMATE based on voter turnout in other states...especially if we are willing to accept the two states who's election was from the beginning not to count AT ALL.

I get that Clinton fans want to cling to any possible hope – but shouldnt we, if we are serious about making this choice right – actually look at all factors, not just the one that happens to help Clintons cause? I would suspect that if roles were reversed, and Obama was trying to claim votes from two states who's elections didnt count – while other states elections did count but not the popular vote...wouldnt this be a false and unfair arguement?

There are far too many people who understand this...and far too many people who refuse to acknowledge it. I respect clinton for keepin on, but the goal post moving is making me wanna puke...as a woman who feels like this happens to me a lot, it saddens me to watch Clinton do exactly this...

There are a bazillion women wishing and hoping for a female president, there are a million minorities wishing and hoping for a minority president, realistically, the two cannot occur the same year...and logically that means SOMEONE loses. why is it that its unacceptable for Hillary to lose...but perfectly fine to discard Obama and his supporters? Im losing faith in my party that we are as good hearted and rational as we've always claimed to be – and our argument that we are the party of ALL people is crumbling under Hillary's last ditch effor to get the nomination. She has clearly drawn her alliance and left the rest of us out in the cold – while Obama brings everyone to the table.

I dont doubt that angry bitter, there i said it, bitter clinton fans will sit home in nov...but they are only hurting themselves...well, thats not true...they are hurting EVERY SINGLE WOMAN in this nation, as most certainly Roe V Wade will be destroyed...but hey, personal glory is far more important than this nation getting back on track.

I pity every single person in this party who only THINKS of themselves...we are no longer the party of all people, just the party of POOR ME's

May 13, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  23. Anson From New York City

I'd be laughing if West Virginia ends up being a close or the people decide to put Obama on top in the state primary vote. Hey! It can happen :-D

Everyone is starting to lean on Obama's side now except Clinton News N etwork whom will never post my comments. :-D

May 13, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  24. HILLARY CAN WIN IN NOVEMBER!!

I LOVE JAMES CARVILLE, THE SHAME IS THAT IF OBAMA DOES BECOME THE NOMINEE, WE WILL END UP WITH McCAIN!

OBAMA IS NOT TRUSTED ANYMORE, THAT IS WHY HILLARY IS STILL WINNING THE STATES NEEDED TO WIN THE GENERAL ELECTION!!!!

I AM POSITIVE THAT IF HILLARY GETS THE NOMINATION SHE WOULD WIN!!!!

OBAMA WILL NOT WIN BECAUSE OF ALL THE RACIST AND ELITEST COMMENTS ON HIS AND HIS WIFES PART!
    THERE ARE A LOT OF OTHER REASONS AS WELL TOO MANY TO LIST!!!!!

I AM STILL BACKING HILLARY AND WILL WRITE HER NAME IN ON THE BALLOT IN NOVEMBER IF SHE IS NOT NOMINATED!!!!!

LOOKING FORWARD TO A WIN TONIGHT! GO HILLARY!!!!!!

May 13, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  25. Mike in Columbus

H.C. from Houston...

Obama said what? He went to 57 states? Wow, he really is inexperienced. HRC should win. The election should now be about who can remember how many states the US has... and Hillary knows! She should be the winner.

Ignore all the other little things like votes, delegates, super delegates, states won...

Thats all meaningless... Clinton is winning!

May 13, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |