May 13th, 2008

Carville: Obama likely to win nomination

James Carville is supporting Hillary Clinton's White House bid.
James Carville is supporting Hillary Clinton's White House bid.

(CNN) - James Carville has been one of Hillary Clinton's most energetic defenders, but on Monday he all but declared Barack Obama will become the Democratic nominee for president.

Speaking to students at Furman University in Greenville, South Carolina, Carville argued Clinton should stay in through the final nominating contest in early June, but said the Democratic tide appears to be moving in Obama's direction.

"I still hear some dogs barking," Carville said, according to The State newspaper. "I'm for Senator Clinton, but I think the great likelihood is that Obama will be the nominee."

"As soon as I determine when that is, I'll send him a check," he added.

Asked about who might share a ticket with Obama, Carville floated Clinton's name, as well as that of Clinton ally Gen. Wesley Clark. Carville also mentioned Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius and New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg as possible running mates, according the Greenville News.

1. morrow

I am a non-party affiliated Clinton supporter, but unlike Carville, I will never send a check to the Obama campaign or the DNC, nor am I likely to vote for him in Nov. I thought fairly highly of him early on, before S. Carolina, but as I watched his campaign it became evident to me that his words have not matched his deeds on many occasions. If he gets the nomination or wins the election, I will have the same sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that I did when Bush was chosen by the Supreme Court in 2000.

I do not see any change in Obama. He, like George Bush promises that he is a “uniter, not a divider”, but his campaign has been very divisive. I see the hate filled comments of his extreme left wing supporters & press, such as many hosts (and former hosts such as Randi Rhodes) on Air America, the KOS, & Huffington Post, and see mirror images of the extreme right wing. I do not have any more confidence in the extreme left running the country than the extreme right.

I have not forgotten after New Hampshire, when Obama's campaign co-chair Jesse Jackson Jr. told MSNBC that they had analyzed Hillary’s win in New Hampshire & noticed that after she campaigned so hard and sat and answered questions for a couple of hours in a Town Hall that people started seeing her as a person and voted for her. His campaign has done everything possible since then, with the help of the media to make certain that they and the press feed the caricature of her as divisive and untruthful so people won't see her as a person.

By the way, counter to the demographics, I earned a graduate degree from a top university, posses a genius IQ, make more than 50 K per hear, and believe I have a clear understanding of human nature. And, like Maya Angelou, I see a deep core of honesty, hard work, and integrity in Hillary Clinton that I deeply admire. Hatred, whether from the right or the left, clouds the ability to see the truth (pretty much everyone has good and bad points and is a human being rather than a monster).

I understand that Hillary is not likely to win the nomination, but I also see Obama as being a very risky choice. He may actually try to live up to his promises, but I am very suspicious of his support from the likes of GE owned MSNBC and CNN (the same media who tore down Gore & Kerry and helped promote the war in Iraq). In my impression it is more likely that with Obama we will either end up with more of the same with an ineffectual president where little changes or we will end up with a left wing President and Congress that will drive the country so far the other direction that in four or eight years we will end up with as many repulsed by the direction our country has taken as we have now after eight years of the extreme right wing. I believe that Hillary Clinton has the ideals, talent, grit, and determination to actually make positive change and bring people together (as demonstrated by her 67% re-election victory in New York).

May 13, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  2. Elaine

Will somebody PLEEEZE cut this man off? We change the channel every time his tainted eminence shows up. He has no credibility, his marriage is weird, he's over. Get rid of him.

May 13, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  3. Monet

The Show is over. Can we go Home now?

Obama '08
    Looking Beyond Victory

May 13, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  4. Newsalert

News alert – WV has 28 delegates – Sen. Obama has picked up 25 super delegates since Tuesday. Even with a sweeping victory 2 nite for Sen. Clinton – nothing changes.

May 13, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  5. beverly

Mr.carville, can now go back to the hole he crawled out of, Sen. Richardson had a right to change his mind without the mud slinging he had the right to endorse Sen. Obama , YOU WERE TOTALLY OUT OF LINE CALLING SENATOR RICHARDSON A JUDAS .AN APOLOGIE IS PROFOUNDLY NECESSARY

May 13, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  6. Sue F

Love the photo of good old James "Judas" Carville, poor guy, him and Mary are gonna be out of the lime light,, how will they ever survive!

May 13, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  7. Kelly

No Hillary = Vote McCain

May 13, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  8. elvis presley,freddie mercury & John Lennon

»»VICTORY!...the GREAT OBAMA already WON the nomination!... VICTORY!...HURRAH!...NO MORE LIES!...NO MORE Clintons!...Thank Goodness!!... GOODBYE CLINTONS!!...Aaaaah!...I/We knew it.»»This is the WAY!...VICTORY!... OBAMA!!...All right.

May 13, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  9. Mike, NJ

Any democrat that won't vote for Obama when he wins should be ashamed.

It must be a real struggle to be that ignorant. It's people like those who are the reason Clinton went down in flames, shes ignorant and narrow minded just like you!!

May 13, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  10. anybody but clinton

i've never seen so much ignorance in my life. will the hillary supporters please explain on here to everyone how Obama is stealing the election. she mismanaged her campaign from the begining and she's out of money. the only reason she's still in it is so that she can continue to take money from the poor hardworking white uneducated Americans in her broad base. She sold them on the gas tax holiday gimmick (but did nothing at all to even try to get it introduced into congress) and now she wants their money so she could pay herself back the 12 million or more that she loaned herself. She can't get donations after she's out of the race so she needs to stay in for that purpose and that purpose only....yet her uneducated hardworking white Americans think she's in it for them. more the pity.

May 13, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  11. P in Denver

To all the Hillary supporters:

This election has nothing to do with Obama being corrupt or a cheater or making back room deals.

Fact: HRC had no campaign strategy following Super Tuesday, because she felt that it was her birthright to be the next president. That is why she will not be the nomination... IT'S HER OWN FAULT AND NO ONE ELSE'S!

That fact that she didn't have a plan after Super Tuesday just goes to show what arrogance this person has and shows that she would just be more of the same in DC.

So get off your soap boxes HRC supporters, and instead of making your stupid argument that you would rather have 4 more years of Bush (that being McLame) rally around the Dem nominee (Obama) and let's get these Republican neo-cons out of control for good!

May 13, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  12. Chris

Paul,

Not sure what "rules" your reading, but Hillary certainly could run as an independent, she would just have trouble getting on the ballot in some states.

May 13, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  13. Shirl

I agree with Chris – – Hillary Rodham Clinton Independent. I will not vote for obama under no circumstance. McCain you have my vote if
    Hillary is not the nominee. I say to Hillary don't stop now. Go to the
    Convention. Don't be a quittter. The strong will survive. I am a true
    obama hater. GO HILLARY. I Believe – – – – -

May 13, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  14. fred

Mike in Columbus May 13th, 2008 10:30 am ET

The majority of Clinton supporters will support Obama in November…

_________________________________

Oh NO we won't!!!

GOODBYE OBAMA!!!

May 13, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  15. Keith Dallas, Texas

Hillary supporters, you all need to wake up!

May 13, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  16. Danny

I like James even though he supports bad politicians. He's very direct and to the point, which is much needed commodity in politics. If HE is saying that Obama will probably win, then for God's sake feminists, start thinking about the general election and how you don't want McCain electing judges to turn over Roe v Wade. It's so ironic that all these feminists are so hardcore for Hillary and say they are going to vote McCain if Obama wins – if this happens all your 'feminist' work will go down the tubes. THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE DOING FEMINISTS!

May 13, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  17. Michael Tuesday, May 13

Mr. Carville show that you are a man of your words, because you know a ripe bana when you see it, you don't need to peel it in order to determine that.

Those of you threatening to vote for McCain, just be honest to yourself, are not a Democrat! We shall see if HRC can ever keep what she said that "I will work my heart out to see a Democrat swear the oat of office as the next President of USA". Hope everyone in the world who is interested in American politics will hold her responsible for that statement, if she doesn't keep it, but respect her if she for once keeps her words!

May 13, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  18. Lazarito

Even Hillary knows that OBAMA is the nominee.She just want to make history by saying she won the popular vote at the end adding Florida and Michigan votes.Something she knows was disqualified due to the violation of the democratic party by both states.

May 13, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  19. elvis presley,freddie mercury & John Lennon

»NOW i am going to CELEBRATE!!...NO MORE ANNOYING,FAKE CLINTONS!!...HURRRRRRRAH!!!!...HURRAH!...Congratulations GREAT OBAMA. We DEFEATED that FAKE Woman!!...VICTORY!...V...Vi...VICTORY!!...

May 13, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  20. Nathan Johnson

To the Clinton supporters:

You all keep stating that Obama will not win the general election against McCain. Hmmm....I seem to remember the same thing being said about him securing the Democratic Nomination when he entered the race. You all were wrong then and you are wrong now. Keep your stinking vote. He beat Hillary without your vote and he will beat McCain without your vote!!!!!!!!!! I have plenty of kleenex for you when he is sworn in as President in January.

May 13, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  21. matt n ohio

obama wont win and this democrat will be happy! No Hillary = no Vote!

May 13, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  22. J. Indiana

Don't give up and don't choose a loser like Obama!

Hillary is the only choice the Dems have and to hell with the DNC who are ripping her off by not counting Florida and Michigan. She had no choice like the other candidates but to agree to their foolish scheme back in October to punish these two states just because they moved up their primary dates. Who cares! It didn't matter one bit!

This is unfair to Hillary Clinton and amounts to stealing her nomination from her. No one can say it isn't!

May 13, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  23. HILLARY CAN WIN IN NOVEMBER!!

I AM WITH YOU (P SMITH) ABOVE!

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I PLAN TO DO!!!
    WRITE HILLARY IN!!!!!!!

PEOPLE SHOULD QUESTION WHY OBAMA ISN'T TAKING ALL THE REST OF THE STATES IN A LANDSLIDE?

HE IS A HUGE RISK THAT I HOPE THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY IS NOT WILLING TO TAKE!!!!!!!

GO HILLARY!!!!!!!!!

May 13, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  24. Charlie

I hope that Senator Obama will follow his own wise counsel and that he chooses as his running mate someone who is worthy of his preferences.

I cannot think of a more inappropriate running mate than Hillary Clinton, who I think would try to undermine his Administration and whose policy preferences and whose divisive personality would clash with the more civilized tenor of an Obama Administration.

There are many worthy candidates for the office of Vice-President. I am sorry to write that Ms. Clinton is not one of those candidates.

And, were I giving advice, I would suggest not considering recommendations from Mr. Carville.

May 13, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  25. Kathy

Last year I moved from Oregon (where they hold a primary to nominate a presidential candidate) to the state of Colorado (where they caucus). And I have to say I'm shocked at how UNDEMOCRATIC the caucus was.

I attend Colorado State University where I live in Fort Collins, and there wasn't any visible effort to organize voters in this city to participate in the caucus.

I had no clue HOW to vote, WHERE to vote, let alone WHEN to vote. I'm an Oregonian — where the state runs the election process and doesn't leave it up to local party members. A small number of people in this state swung the election for Obama.

The fact that Obama is claiming that he WON the state of Colorado — based on the showing in the caucus — is a JOKE. Give me a primary election any day. That's the only FAIR way to conduct an "election".

Obama will be in for a surprise when the people in Colorado — and all the other caucus states — actually have an opportunity to cast a VOTE.

May 13, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |