May 13th, 2008

Carville: Obama likely to win nomination

James Carville is supporting Hillary Clinton's White House bid.

James Carville is supporting Hillary Clinton's White House bid.

(CNN) - James Carville has been one of Hillary Clinton's most energetic defenders, but on Monday he all but declared Barack Obama will become the Democratic nominee for president.

Speaking to students at Furman University in Greenville, South Carolina, Carville argued Clinton should stay in through the final nominating contest in early June, but said the Democratic tide appears to be moving in Obama's direction.

"I still hear some dogs barking," Carville said, according to The State newspaper. "I'm for Senator Clinton, but I think the great likelihood is that Obama will be the nominee."

"As soon as I determine when that is, I'll send him a check," he added.

Asked about who might share a ticket with Obama, Carville floated Clinton's name, as well as that of Clinton ally Gen. Wesley Clark. Carville also mentioned Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius and New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg as possible running mates, according the Greenville News.

1. rehoboth ng

He appears to have seen the light. Please complete the cycle by convincing Hillary to do the same

May 13, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  2. Max

In an effort to entertain us all, Paul said (on May 13th, 2008 10:32 am ET):

"STUPID POEPLE!!!!!!"
    ~~~~~~~~~

Uh, Paul? That's "people", not "POEPLE!!!!!!"

And your Caps Lock is usually the key above "Shift" on the left side of your keyboard. Press it once and release.

Like using multiple exclamation points, capitalizing your misspelled words as you call _others_ stupid isn't making you look any brighter.

Less hate, more thought please. Thank you.

May 13, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  3. Eric

Just doing spin-work for the big Clinton victory tonight. "Even Carville was writing her off" they will say.

May 13, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  4. Roger

Jan from Boca Raton, you and the spiteful McCain voters should just
    break of from the democratic party and form your own party. If you
    are going to vote for McCain, then you are a republican anyhow, so what's
    your point? You don't know how those states you pointed out are going to
    vote in the fall. You should stop keeping up confusion.

May 13, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  5. Roger

Obama isn't going to be president. 50% won't support him. About 30% will vote McCain. Enjoy this time while it lasts.

May 13, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  6. Paul S

To "P Smith" – how can you support a candidate who is repeatedly ranked lower on scales of honest and trustworthiness? How can you support a candidate who has put forth an economic "plan" for a gas tax holiday that is taken from a republican nominee who has admitted he knows nothing about the economy? How can you support a candidate who, in the dying days of her campaign, is now openly appealing to "hard working Americans...white Americans" when her husband was billed "the first black president of the United States"? Why don't you let common sense and integrity prevail over your obvious obsession with race? Your have every right to do with your ballot what you will, but think twice before putting the personal interests of your candidate before the interests of your nation.

May 13, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  7. Zoey

Finally, a Clinton supporter who came to his senses.

May 13, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  8. Jackie OHio

YVONNE, IT WOULD ONLY BE FOR 4 YEARS AND THEN MAYBE THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY CAN HAVE A REAL RUN AT IT WHEN IT WILL BE ABOUT THE ISSUES NOT THE COLAR OF SKIN OH REMEMBER HE IS PART WHITE OH NO THATS RIGHT HE TOSSED HIS GRANDMA UNDER THE BUSS!!!!! WHAT WILL HE DO TO THE REST OF THE WITE POPULATION! OH THAT IS CORRECT SELL US OUT TO THE iRAN LEADER AND ALL THE OTHER TERROIST. THINK WHY DO THE EVIL OF THE WORLD WANT OBAMA? HE HAS NO BALLS!!!!! OH LETS TALK THEY WILL HAVE FUN WITH HIM IF HE ISN'T ALLREADY ONE OF THEM (SADAM) RING A BELL

May 13, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  9. Toto

James, When you put that check in the mail, don't forget the cojones!

May 13, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  10. MC in GA

Maybe Hillary is doing the famous "Huckamath". She needs to step down for sure. As for all of you that want to vote for McCain WHEN Obama is the nominee, go ahead and do it and see what happens. You won't be laughing when we'll have to draft your son, daughter or nephew to go fight his war while you stay here penniless, homeless and unemployed. One week the guy said we're not bailing out the housing market and the following week he says he, and I quote "feels our pain". Really now?

Never fail to negotiate – Obama 08'

May 13, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  11. Tyme4chaing

Whatever!!!!!

May 13, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  12. Venus

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin Endorses Barack Obama; Delegate Countdown – 148 To Go
    by Sam Graham-FelsenTuesday, May 13, 2008 at 07:00 AM

We are on our way! Thank you Ray Nagin!

Go Obama! President Obama------(: I love it!

May 13, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  13. Peter Feldstein

But that doesn't solve the problem about what to do with Mary Matlin.

May 13, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  14. Anonymous

Jill:

So now it wouldn't be enough that there is a woman on Obama's ticket; it has to be this woman? Regardless of how much electoral sense another woman makes? It wouldn't be enough to have an African American and a woman running for the most powerful office in the world, setting up potentially 16 years of rule by people from historically underreprestented groups? It just HAS to be your Hillary?

And they call Obama supporters zealots.

May 13, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  15. Pat M

With someone like Carville for a friend Hillary doesn't need enemies!
    I have no respect for Turn Coats regardless of whose side they are on.

I predict if Hillary doesn't win the nomination John McCain will be the next President. Obama WILL NOT win over John McCain. If you think the scandals and dirty politics have been over the top up to now, it is nothing compared to what will be if Obama is the Nominee. Republicans made dirty politics a household name.

And as far as Hillary dropping out of the Campaign – I think it's the reverse – Obama should drop out of the Campaign for the good of the Nation. He doesn't have the political experience, foreign experience, qualifications or capability to govern America. America doesn't need a President in Training given these turbulent, violent, challenging times. But I fear it's too late. The Majority of Americans and the Media are placing Charisma, intriging speeches, and mantras ahead of the pertinent credentials required for President.

May 13, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  16. HRC Supprters

Please tell me how many times as an Obama supporter I had to hear about being a mindless zombie, drinking kool-aid, obsessed or any other negative, divisive comment. AND THEN DARE TO POINT A FINGER at Obama supporters. Just as many Clinton supporters have been negative.

IN FACT:
    I love Bill Clinton, I was 16 when he took office but I voted for him when he ran for reelection, when this all started and Hillary announced she was running, I WAS a Clinton supporter, plus thought it would be awesome for Bill to be back in the White House as the first man.

Then I heard Barack speak and was like wow we have two really interesting candidates. I continued to support HRC, however I Was listening and liking what I was hearing from Mr. Obama as well.

And then IT started getting negative. Not from Obama's campaign, But Hillary's... She became so desperate to win this and be back in the White House, that she completely turned me off to what she was saying, it was no longer about the United States, about my child's future, it was about HER winning.

I voted today. I voted for Barack Obama. He will be our nomination, and I will support him. If it had been hillary, I would have supported her as I am a democrat and they both represent my beliefs however, had she accepted Barack's challenge to not do politics as usual. SHE COULD HAVE WON THIS.

May 13, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  17. Charlotte

I cannot believe the names the Obama-bots are calling the people in West Virginia? I cannot believe the names they call everybody who doesn't think Obama is ready to be President. They are the most rasist of all comments. It is sad to see that racism is alive and well in the USA. Ironically it is in reverse? Write in Hillary in November>

May 13, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  18. Pel

I have admired James Carville over the years because of the way he has supported the Clintons who I have supported over the years. He has been been a very good task master for Senator Clinton. I do trust he will do the same for Senator Obama as he has stated.

As the title of his book "Had Enough?" suggest, as DEMOCRATES we must all push forward to defeat Senator John Mc Cain.

Lastly, Senator Obama and Seantor Clintor would make a nice political marriage as PRESIDENT & VICE PRESIDENT

May 13, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  19. Jeremy

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD HILLARY SUPPORTERS...

We understand you love your candidate. We love our candidate too, but have you noticed that Obama supporters are level headed for the most part and that a majority of us would vote for Hillary just to make sure the presidency is not occupied by another republican? Are you so ignorant that you cannot see that to vote McCain just because your candidate lost is the height of idiocy and the act of a child? Suck it up and don't destroy America just because your candidate lost. At least Carville, who is a die-hard Hillary supporter, has enough brains to see that. For christ's sake, do the right thing. Hillary can run again, but if the republicans get to stay in the White House, we are doomed. Please stop being ignorant.

May 13, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  20. Anne

I'll be writing in Hillary in November

May 13, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  21. Bitter

You go Girl......

from Rocky

to JFK

to a teabag

to a footnote.....

Good riddance.

May 13, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  22. Alishia

Carville has frequently said that if Obama was the nominee, he would support him wholeheartedly. Why? Because Carville is a Democrat. Because Obama and Clinton essentially hold the same views on the issues. Because Carville realizes that Clinton and Obama are both great candidates for the Democratic party.

My question is: why would Clinton supporters deliberately not vote or vote Republican in November just because Obama is the nominee? This is your future, your children's future, that you are playing around with. To vote against Obama out of spite is not good for you, your family, or the country. It's childish and irresponsible.

No Clinton supporter can logically deny that Obama's stand on the issues parallels their own. Look at the issues, be informed, and vote your conscience.

May 13, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  23. Iam U.

I am Hillary follower, but I have to face the truth, I think we are wasting time, money and dividing the party, One my big questions is How come she doesn't have any campaing funds? and Obama does, Does that mean that the supporter are not "supporting"? Is this a clue of what is going on? Who is going to repay her the money that she's lent to campaing? please advise, this is my first time voting(i am just 19 years old) thanks. Iam U.

May 13, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  24. TRW

I like both Hillary and Obama and will vote for the Democratic nominee no matter what. I will not vote against my own interests. So, I will never vote for McCain.

May 13, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  25. Joel, Pittsburgh, PA

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

May 13, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |