May 13th, 2008

Carville: Obama likely to win nomination

James Carville is supporting Hillary Clinton's White House bid.

James Carville is supporting Hillary Clinton's White House bid.

(CNN) - James Carville has been one of Hillary Clinton's most energetic defenders, but on Monday he all but declared Barack Obama will become the Democratic nominee for president.

Speaking to students at Furman University in Greenville, South Carolina, Carville argued Clinton should stay in through the final nominating contest in early June, but said the Democratic tide appears to be moving in Obama's direction.

"I still hear some dogs barking," Carville said, according to The State newspaper. "I'm for Senator Clinton, but I think the great likelihood is that Obama will be the nominee."

"As soon as I determine when that is, I'll send him a check," he added.

Asked about who might share a ticket with Obama, Carville floated Clinton's name, as well as that of Clinton ally Gen. Wesley Clark. Carville also mentioned Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius and New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg as possible running mates, according the Greenville News.

1. After further review,Texas

Carville screwed up her chances with his "win at all cost" campaign.His Rovian style did not work for her.

May 13, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  2. KBest

James, you don't have a say in who Obama should nominate for the VeePee spot. You castigated everyone that supported Obama, remember? Even unapologetically called them names such as Judas, etc.

Bye to the Clinton era, bye to their blind followers.

May 13, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  3. matt n ohio

NO OBAMA! NO OBAMA! NO OBAMA!

May 13, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  4. Travis in Canada

I see big mouth Carville has come from under his rock. He must be looking for a job with Obama.

May 13, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  5. Extinct Snipe

Ole Carville! Now, he barks just like he says he hears. The thing is that the barking we all hear sounds kind of like, WUF, WUF, but with an R sound, like RWUF, RWUF. And that's because it obvious the race is and will continue to be rough, oh yeah rough, on Hillary, until she gets out, and even then she'll be licking her wounds for a long time to come. And I'm sure the dogs that Carville hears barking have got big teeth, but they still can't save Hillary. Though they might try to doom Obama and even that won't work to save Hillary.

May 13, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  6. Haley Rodman Clemson

Carville's no dummy. He knows it is over and is helping Hillary clear the way for a 2012 run at the presidency. Two things need to happen for Hillary to be elected in 2012:

1. Barack Obama must not be elected in 2008. If he is either 2012 will be a very strong Republican year as Obama's policies make Jimmy Carter's failed policies look pretty good or Obama will be so popular that no other delegate need apply.

2. She must exit this race as a very popular candidate. She is pouring on the charm and machismo. She has defined herself as someone who can win key Democratic groups and compete with McCain in the general election polls.

If Hillary looked this good and Obama looked this human three months ago, Limbaugh would be urging conservatives to vote for Obama today. Clinton would be running full steam ahead to the general election. Instead, she is running a very clever plan to give herself the clear run to the White House in 2012.

May 13, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  7. R.I.F.

James Carville has the right idea. He's run about as hot as anyone out there but he knows that this isn't just about Clinton or Obama, but about propelling the Democrats to victory this fall and wokinjg to fix the mess that Bush will be leaving behind. we need to go after McCain, not continuily say that we are going to vote for the guy. Unless I missed something, Clinton and Obama were about the same on about 95% of al importnat issues. If you want to stay in Iraq, worry about your job, can't get or afford healthcare\, then vote for McCain. It's kind of supid to her Clinton supporters say Obama can't win so I'm voting for McCain. He can win easily if you vote on issues and not on emotions.

May 13, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  8. Sam

Carville will send him a check for 30 pieces of silver, right?

May 13, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  9. Question

How can a true Clinton supporter ever vote for John McCain? Look at his healthcare plan. This man is the polar opposite of everything the Clintons have worked for for the past 20 years. Hear are the reasons I've heard so far.

1. Obama stole the nomination from FL and MI.
    No one who understands the political process (including HRC) actually believes this ridiculous notion.

2. John McCain has the experience.
    And you would have him use this experience to destroy what is left of our country?

3. I like John McCain.
    I like my grandma.

We are losing our jobs and our homes. Our children are dying in a senseless war. For God's sake look at the issues!! (By the way people who say they will vote for McCain because of how rude Obama supporters are confusing me. Do you really make major political decisions based on the sound bites of complete strangers?)

May 13, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  10. Charles in Florida

James Carville, please just be quiet. Float all the names you want. Nobody in the Obama camp should listen to anything you have to say. Keep your check, give it to Hillary she's the one in debt. NO to Wesley Clark, for sure he would be a bad choice for VP and Hillary's damaging her chances everday she continues the madness. Like it or not James "Barking Dog" Carville, Obama is the People's Choice!

May 13, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  11. mitchell from arkansaw

if you take all day to moderate my comments ,i'm not going to blog here ,anymore.

May 13, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  12. Terry

I think he is a nut, but I respect James Carville. He is a true Democrat. He is for Senator Clinton, but will support Senator Obama when he wins the nomination. He even has a check already made out. I can’t wait to unleash him on the Republicans!!!! I am a Senator Obama supporter and I would have been mad if Senator Clinton had somehow gotten the nomination, but I have and will continue to support the Democratic nominee. To vote for McCain is just Insane!!!

Obama 08/12!!!

May 13, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  13. Brian from Fort Mill, S.C.

OMG! Is James Carville now the new JUDAS?

J.C., I know I owe you thirty pieces of silver, but I used 3 pieces to fill up my SUV. I'll pay you back during the Gas Tax Holiday! 🙂

May 13, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  14. Hillary or Bust!

If Hillary is not on the ticket, I'm voting for McCain.

I can't stand Obama and can't believe democrats would be so stupid as to elect a nominee with no experience.

May 13, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  15. democrat1981

Clinton supporters – listen and learn! Take this as a sign that even if Carville can swallow his pride and support Obama when he is the nominee... than you can too. This isn't about race or gender anymore, IT'S ABOUT GETTING OUR COUNTRY BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 13, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  16. fred

I wouldn't send Obama a dime...he isn't going to win in November...

Stay in until the convention Hillary!!

Write in Hillary!!

Run as an Independent Hillary!!

Just proves that Carville will vote for a loser. I would hate to think that Democrats would vote for Obama.....just because they are democrats. People need to consider who would be best for our country and that sure isn't Obama!! I am a life long democrat and will never vote for that empty suit Obama and I do believe most of Hillary's supporters will not either!!

WRITE IN HILLARY!!

May 13, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  17. Kris from AZ

He actually got somthing right. wow

May 13, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  18. K

"So even WITH the Florida vote and the Michigan vote where Obama wasn't even on the ballot, the vote is:

Obama: 16,579,735
    Clinton: 16,466,237

I'd say that's over 16 million people that you Obamaniacs need not to make angry with your vicious attacks on Hillary. She has a right to go through all the primaries so get over it.

May 13, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  19. Tired of W, OH

One of the few honest comments I've heard from Carville during this campaign. It certainly seems like the Clinton camp is trying to position her for the VP slot. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

I think all of the names that Carville floated would bring something positive to the ticket. Sebelius might be a good choice to try to bring in some the Clinton supporters that desperately want to see a woman in office, but I'm not sure if she has the name recognition and experience.

If Clinton hadn't turned so nasty during the campaign, she'd be a perfect running mate: Female, white, good name recognition, and a little bit of experience. Similar to Obama on the issues, but enough contrasts to appeal to a wider demographic.

This will be a tough decision for Obama.

May 13, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  20. Peter

IF HILLARY IS NOT THE NOMINEE, WE SHOULD ALL WRITE HER IN OR SHE SHOULD RUN AS INDEPENDENT.
    I FOR ONE WILL NOT SEND A CHECK AND WILL NOT VOTE IN NOVEMBER REFUSING TO ACCEPT AND FOLLOW WHAT THE DNC, THE ESTABLISMENT AND THE MEDIA TELLING US TO DO.
    I WANT MY VOTE TO BE COUNTED. IN THE FUTURE PLEASE HAVE THE NOMINEE SELECT BY PRIMARY ELECTION NO CAUCUSES AND WINNER OF EACH STATE TAKE ALL.

HILLARY 08

May 13, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  21. elvis presley & freddie mercury

»»Go great OBAMA!!OBAMA!!...Hillary "So ANNOYING!" Clinton was finally DEFEATED!!...HURRAH!...HURRAH!...Goodbye Clinton(s)!!...Aaaaaaah!

May 13, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  22. democrat1981

AND WHATS UP WITH THESE STUPID CANADIANS ALL SUPPORTING CLINTON... WHO SAID YOU HAVE A SAY IN ANYTHING!

May 13, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  23. Jan, Knoxville, TN

James, the result shows what running a fair, uplifting, and honest campaign will do for a candidate. That is why Barack Obama has won it. Rove style politics are dead in this country.

May 13, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  24. Michelle, Baltimore

I am very proud of James Carville for stating the obvious. He has even pledged his support for Senator Obama. My only hope is that Senator Clinton will be just as gracious when she finally concedes the race.

May 13, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  25. Ding

Thanks Carville..because by and by CLINTON IS MAKING HER SUPPORTERS CHANGE THEIR PARTY AND LET THE COUNTRY GO TO HELL ONLY BECAUSE SHE CANNOT WIN !! eventhough there is a another (better) fellow dem who holds her own principles! Hilary fans be wise!!

May 13, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |