May 13th, 2008

Carville: Obama likely to win nomination

James Carville is supporting Hillary Clinton's White House bid.

James Carville is supporting Hillary Clinton's White House bid.

(CNN) - James Carville has been one of Hillary Clinton's most energetic defenders, but on Monday he all but declared Barack Obama will become the Democratic nominee for president.

Speaking to students at Furman University in Greenville, South Carolina, Carville argued Clinton should stay in through the final nominating contest in early June, but said the Democratic tide appears to be moving in Obama's direction.

"I still hear some dogs barking," Carville said, according to The State newspaper. "I'm for Senator Clinton, but I think the great likelihood is that Obama will be the nominee."

"As soon as I determine when that is, I'll send him a check," he added.

Asked about who might share a ticket with Obama, Carville floated Clinton's name, as well as that of Clinton ally Gen. Wesley Clark. Carville also mentioned Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius and New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg as possible running mates, according the Greenville News.

1. ladymary

Well thank you Judas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am a 50 something, white, college educated female and will not support ANY ticket with a Clinton or Bloomberg on it. Both are "my way or the highway" types. Not the kind of people who play well with others. We need someone willing to LISTEN and try to understand anothers point of view. Someone willing to make concessions when necessary for the good of all not just themselves. I am and have been a supporter of Obama and will continue to support him as long as he stays away from the 2 snakes I listed above.

May 13, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  2. elvis presley & freddie mercury

»»Bye Bye Hillary "So Fake" Clinton!!... NO MORE White House for YOU!!...Aaaaah!...

May 13, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  3. Shawna

The way the clinton campaign has consistently turned this nomination cycle into a racially charge debate sickens me. She would get my vote even if Obama choice to make her the V.P., I'd skip that entire ticket.

May 13, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  4. EC

OH MY GOD!!!! Say it isn't so...

JAME CARVILLE stating the obvious after all his blistering attacks on Sen. Obama!!!

AFTER all his "judas" comments and his rantings and ravings about Sen. Clinton being the nominee!! What a selfish hypocrite!! He DID NOT have to get ugly with his comments about Gov. Richardson and he didn't have to come off so ANGRY because NOW it's coming back to BITE him in his own behind. He's having to NOW eat his own words and save his own behind in the process.

I imagine Pat Buchanan will be the next to EAT CROW. Pat Buchanan is nothing but an OLD FART who is just so bitter than his own party did NOT vote him President. Funny that? I cringe every time I think of Pat Buchanan as President. Ugh...

May 13, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  5. Confused Dem

In the Fall I will vote for the Dem. Nom.
    I truly like both candidates.

In a non-attacking way, straight forward way, I would like a Hilary supporter to explain how she can claim the popular vote without counting the caucus states. I believe thast all voices should even those in Fl and MI in the poular vote, but how can we look at the popular vote as a fair barometer, when it does not include the caucus states? I would just like to understand the logic.

I know this question has been posed but I have not seen it answered.

May 13, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  6. Will

There was nothing corrupt about the primary. Hillary just lost- time to get over it

Glad Carville will be working to re-unite the party. This is excellent to hear. Any voters who do not do so are likely just racists

May 13, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  7. Kim

OMG Carville does have a grasp of reality after all.

May 13, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  8. Toni from Maryland

well, i can at least respect the cobra for that

He will stand behind the nominee

May 13, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  9. Jim Wade, IA

An American in Canada for David...Why do I get the feeling you are a Hillary supporter from Kentucky?

May 13, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  10. DoM

That's ok fred, I will send him an extra dollar in your honor 🙂

May 13, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  11. Shawn

To JBY...excellent summary! Thanks!

May 13, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  12. Jason - KY

Remind him that he needs to do more than send him a check. Put on those stripes and start stomping.

May 13, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  13. Dave in Atlanta

I like the idea of Sebilius as the VP running mate. My only problem is that Obama-Sebelius 08 is a bit of a mouthful. I don't know about Wesley Clark. I kinda like the idea of either Bill Richardson, or Sam Nunn.

May 13, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  14. obama supporter

i always new this man was a great person and a die hard clinton supporter. what make him great is he is not a spiteful person. he cares for the dem. party and is a big man for letting it show. no black mail like ( i want vote for obama)

May 13, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  15. Marie

For the first time, I agree with James. I think Obama will win. Unfortunately, Senator Clinton will do great harm to the Democratic Party before she goes. She is injecting race into the match. Her comment about hard-working Americans and then clarifying it by hard-working white Americans. Her comments over and over again in West Virginia about hard-working Americans when she knows that State is mostly white. She claims that Obama only appeals to a small minority. She only appeals to hard-working white women. The only time she wins by a landslide is when the State is mostly white voters. I am a white woman and I will never vote for her.

May 13, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  16. Venus

Yeah Carville! Gave up on having more debates?

You and Hillary's entire staff should have been fired!

Bill Clinton should be ashame!

Go Obama! Watch your back!

May 13, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  17. democrat1981

HILLARY OR BUST – Quit using the experience factor as an excuse for supporting McCain over Obama. It's obvious you just dont want a black president – you're racist!!!!

May 13, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  18. Alexis

LOL!!! YOU PEOPLE SOUND SO STUPID! I HOPE ALL YOU HATEFUL PEOPLE WHO SAY YOU ARE TRUE DEMOCRATS, AND WILL NOT VOTE FOR OBAMA, BUT RATHER VOTE FOR MC SHAME! I HOPE YOU ALL DO WRITE HRC ON THE BALLOT, THAT WAY IT WONT COUNT, WHICH MEANS YOUR VOTE WONT COUNT, AND IN THE FAMOUS WORDS OF HILLARY, ..... " WE ARE ON OUR WAY TO THE WHITE HOUSE" 🙂

May 13, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  19. Addendum

Carville says he hears barking, but he never said he was listening to it. He's a sly fox, just like Hillary. Readers beware!

May 13, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  20. ADAM

DEMOCRATIC LIDERSHIP HEAVILY DAMAGED HILLARY
    IGNORING FLORIDA AND MICHIGAN.
    IT'S TIME TO BRAKE RANKS WITH LOOSERS!!!

HILLARY KEEP FIGHTING FOR US AND WE WILL PROUDLY VOTE FOR YOU!!!
    REMEBER JOE LIBERMAN!!!

GO INDEPENDENT AND BEAT THEM ALL!!!

May 13, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  21. Thank you Mr. Carville

I am thrilled Mr. Carville has checkbook poised to join the 1.5 million of us who have donated already to Senator Obama's campaign. Thank you, it takes a big man to face up the facts this way and so positively.

I have been looking forward all along to having James Carville back on our side but thought the "Judas" comment meant he was so attached to the Clintons that he would break from the party if Obama won. I am so happy to learn I was mistaken.

Although I would gently suggest that calling a fellow Democrat Judas is probably something to avoid in the future (just a thought), I say welcome back with open arms. We love you, James.

Obama 08

May 13, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  22. No Obama

I definitely am not sending him anything if he is the nominee. The only reason Carville says this is because it seems that the US has gone whacky and due to reasons beyond anyone's control (Obama's huge campaign financing for one), he just MIGHT be the nominee. If he is, I quit voting.

May 13, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  23. Natasha

Too late James. You are never going to be a prominent figure in democratic party. You will be out of a job unless Hillary gives you a charity position in her staff.

May 13, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  24. Scott Hughes ATL

Are Hillary supporters going to now bash Carville? Is he a "Judas"?
    Or will they blame the media? According to you, the blame belongs to everyone except Clinton herself...

You all need an Intervention:

So if you do not choose to take the help that's offered to you today, our relationship will change in the following ways...lol

May 13, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  25. Bryan

Jan from Boca Raton: California? Are you high? California will never vote for a Republican for president. You guys are really out of touch.

May 13, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |