May 13th, 2008

Carville: Obama likely to win nomination

James Carville is supporting Hillary Clinton's White House bid.

James Carville is supporting Hillary Clinton's White House bid.

(CNN) - James Carville has been one of Hillary Clinton's most energetic defenders, but on Monday he all but declared Barack Obama will become the Democratic nominee for president.

Speaking to students at Furman University in Greenville, South Carolina, Carville argued Clinton should stay in through the final nominating contest in early June, but said the Democratic tide appears to be moving in Obama's direction.

"I still hear some dogs barking," Carville said, according to The State newspaper. "I'm for Senator Clinton, but I think the great likelihood is that Obama will be the nominee."

"As soon as I determine when that is, I'll send him a check," he added.

Asked about who might share a ticket with Obama, Carville floated Clinton's name, as well as that of Clinton ally Gen. Wesley Clark. Carville also mentioned Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius and New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg as possible running mates, according the Greenville News.

1. Shawn

Greg, NY...good call. Sebelius is indeed a great option for VP. Plus, it would give some comfort to all the women who were supporting Hillary simply because she is a woman.

May 13, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  2. Lee WV

Finally it's sinking in.All of you die hard Clinton supporters ,when you go to the polls in Nov to vote for McCain in spite .ask yourself if you want your child to go to Iraq,and get addresses of those who are killed after you vote so you can send them a card explaining why you voted to keep the war going.

May 13, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  3. bigben

The stealing is the momentum of the MI and FL wins. She wins those two on super tuesday . Coming out of it , she gots all the mojo , not obama.

May 13, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  4. joyce

jby

grow up.
    if mr carville can be a man then try to be a child any way

May 13, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  5. Independant-Voter

Carville/ All Noise and full of Bull. Nothing this person says amouts to a hill of beans.

May 13, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  6. Marcus

Question – for those Democrats who wish not to vote for Sen. Obama is it because of his race. Does race matter who is our president of the "UNITED" States of America?

May 13, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  7. gastoys

Obama is an extreme left liberal socialist, racist, anti American, a liar and a flip flopper with no experience and full of hot air.

It is much easier for Hilary voters to take a few steps to the right than to run a mile to the far left.

McCain 08

May 13, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  8. janet in wv

don't count her out just yet it is still time for this country to wake up and see what is good for them, Janet, capon bridge, WV

May 13, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  9. Jim

Obama just picked up another Super Delegate today. I hope that continues today so he will pick up more delegates today then Hillery will from Hogs Back Mountain WV.

May 13, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  10. Sheila WA

Seems like James Carville is going through the stages of grief much quicker than Hillary.. Hillary ran a good fight, now she needs to spend the rest of the primaries bashing McCain over the head and help heal the party and just maybe Obama will have a place for her in his administration..

May 13, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  11. to: VERY ANGRY OBAMA SUPPORTER!!!!!

come down... It's fine, we are angry here in Florida as well... we are so angry that we will deliver McCain to the Whitehouse in November and please do not call this a democracy... THE DNC had a million other options than desinfranchaising the voters of two very important states that are part of the union. PEACE and don't blame us voters we went to the polls in record numbers and did our part. YOUR WORDS TURNS OFF ANY POSSIBILITY INTO VOTING FOR YOUR CANDIDATE.

May 13, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  12. Rick

For all you Obama supporters: Jerimiah Wright, Jerimiah Wright, Jerimiah Wright. Looking forward to the general election !

May 13, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  13. Tracy---Indianapolis, IN

ATTENTION CHRIS,

OBAMA'S SUPPORTERS ARE NOT HATEFUL, YOU HILLARY SUPPORTERS ARE HATEFUL. HILLARY ISN'T GOING TO WIN SO I WISH YOU AND THE OTHERS WOULD GET OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OBAMA 08

May 13, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  14. Tim from Ohio

James Carville may support Obama but as a staunch Clinton supporter I will never support him...If Obama is the nominee I will vote for McCain...

May 13, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  15. Scott Hughes ATL

Can one Hillary supporter give me one concrete reason why Obama would be bad for our country as president?

And please make it a concrete reason about him, no about someone he knew, or someone that's related to his gardener's third cousin..lol

something about him that makes him such a horrible presidential candidate?

May 13, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  16. Lynn , Georgia

Count all the Republican vote and throw in about 35 % of the Democrat vote for McCain and you will have the results of the 08 election. Rush Limbaugh and all the Republican run media will be so grateful. The one good thing about all this, the stupid young voters, the super rich, the anxious black voters and the Pelosicrats will have to wait a while longer to give our country to the Muslim world.

May 13, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  17. Phil-Little Rock

Carville, the only dogs barking are the ones in your shoes where the Odor Eaters have run thin. Take your skeet-headed, gumbo eatin' behind back to that robomorph wife of yours Mary Matalin and try not to procreate. There's laws in favor of sterilization of idiots and I see the perfect candidates in you and all the Clintonistas.

GO OBAMA '08!!

May 13, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  18. Len Sherman

I used to watch CNN often as a trusted source of news and commentary. But I've recently abandoned CNN for other media in protest to the shameful practice of self-indulgent self-declared self adulation. I do not want to be told REPEATEDLY that CNN is is the best political team on television. I'd prefer to quietly determine that for myself.

There's a lot of alternatives out there that quietly and competently go about their business.

May 13, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  19. Jim

At least SOMEONE in the Clinton camp has some sense of reality!

May 13, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  20. Alex Richards

I say keep fighting Clinton. All citizens should have a right to vote. I think it exposes the weaknesses of Obama's campaign in many key states. He should be paying close attention. I used to loathe Hillary, but through all of this, I have gained respect for her. Because she is a fighter and will not back down. I admire that quality. She has every right to stay in the race. Its what our country was founded on, our rights.

May 13, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  21. NickNas

WHo Pulled this Idiots String to make him talk??? He has had nothing valuable to say this entire cycle and has been a completely partial reporter and Clinton cheerleader. So now he is trying to look like a voice of the public and " predicting" the Blatantly OBVIOUSE?!!!

Looks like he still needs a job after his Boss goes home to ....where EVER she really is from.

May 13, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  22. Jay

Will Hillary supporters turn on Hillary when she concedes and runs with or endorses Obama??

Seriously though...welcome aboard Carville. I always liked you, almost started not liking you through this process, but remembered why you are a democratic hero.
    I can't wait to start liking Hillary again too when we all come together!

May 13, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  23. Frank

Politicians are very adept at putting on a smile and acting like they are best friends. That ability doesn't come so easily for their supporters.

I have watched the venomous exchange between Hillary and Obama supporters from the beginning. As a registered Republican who has voted Democrat during the last 4 elections, I wonder whether the Democrats can begin putting aside their differences to unite against the Republicans.

It seems clear that the Hillary campaign for president is over yet I notice that the Obama supporters continue deriding the Clintons. I do not believe these actions, nor gloating over victory, will help unite the Democrats.

Good luck, U.S.A.

May 13, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  24. Gloria

I will NOT vote for Obama.....
    Demoractice Party left us high and dry (women) and I am walking...
    Going to sit it out or go for Nader.........
    And I won't change my mind by Nov08 either........

Very disappointed and Obama is NOT going to beat McCain...wake up folks!!!!

May 13, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  25. Deb.

How can anyone with the Obama New Politics mantle even think of picking a VP with ties to old political families? Sebelius comes from a political family in Ohio where her father, Gilligan, was a one term governor who, granted, most people have never heard of, but I thought the idea was to eschew the old guard and bring on the new. In addition,if you select someone like Hagel (who voted for the War like Hillary) or Strickland or Rendell what does that say? The last two are still HRC supporters and wouldn't they then, by extension, show the same bad judgment she did?

May 13, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |