May 13th, 2008

Clinton campaign: Obama ran an 'aggressive' WV race

Clinton campaign said Obama should stop downplaying expectations in West Virginia.

(CNN) - As voters headed to the polls in West Virginia in a contest Hillary Clinton is expected to win, a memo released by her campaign argued that Barack Obama had waged an “aggressive campaign” in the state – and that a loss by the Illinois senator there would raise troubling questions about his general election chances.

"In the face of grim poll numbers, the Obama campaign has attempted to dismiss today's outcome despite the fact that Sen. Obama has outspent us on advertising, has more staff in the state, and more than double the number of offices,” said the campaign in an e-mail sent to reporters Tuesday.

“He has also benefited from the support of the most high-profile endorsers in West Virginia-Sen. Jay Rockefeller and Congressman Nick Rahall. By every measure, the Obama campaign has waged an aggressive campaign in the Mountain State," they said.

The Obama campaign has been looking to downplay the results of West Virginia’s vote, spending the evening in Michigan, a fall battleground. Obama trails Clinton by 30-40 points in recent polls of the state’s primary voters.

1. Marshall

CNN – Please Post or do you want a divided party?
    People...I am guilty of bashing. Yes, I can admit it. But we all are. It is time to stop blaming each other. Both sides did it. It wasn't just the Obama supporter or just the Clinton supporters. IT WAS BOTH SIDES.

We need to get past the he said, she said playground justice and focus on the real issue...KEEPING MCCAIN out of the White House.

As I said before, I am guilty. I bashed on both sides. I started supporting one candidate and later changed sides. Who I support doesn't matter because their stand on the issues is almost identical.

Rush wants us to continue to bash and to keep us weak because he knows we could get anyone elected if we stood together. He fears US...A UNITED DEMOCRATIC PARTY!

So let's leave the name calling and finger pointing to the children on the playgrounds and act like adults. Once again, me included.

Let's end the negative and focus on the challenge...Beating McCain.

This is my pledge. Who stands with me?

May 13, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  2. charles

whats the problem. he ran aggresive or not is no one's business. clinton says she wants to win so just win and stop whining over nothing. u trying to draw antention. this is not news its silly season.

May 13, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  3. Blayze Kohime

Grasping at straws.

May 13, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  4. jeffrey

who cares ,just 28 delegates typical of cnn ,lets wait 4 something bigger and see where the clinton people put their mouth

May 13, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  5. Sue / PA

Spin... Spin... Spin.....Thats all the Clinton Camp knows how to do.....

seems to me they are afraid the numbers wont match the polls........

Clinton will win W V...by how much??....thats anyones guess............

wont help..........She can not catch up to Obama

Time to bow out gracefully Hillary.........Show us your real strength and start to wind down your campaign and acknowledge Barack Obama as the Democratic Nominee.

post my comment please

May 13, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  6. Darth Vadik, CA

Bye bye Clinton legacy, bye bye....

May 13, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  7. Anonymous

Didn't he concede WV two weeks ago?

May 13, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  8. furiousdee

I would like to know why it is perfectly acceptable for the media to declare this race over and in effect tell Mrs. Clinton to sit down. How dare you declare a winner before all votes have been cast and all voters a chance to speak out for their choice.

Obama's lead?
    pledged delegates; approx. 160-170, that's before today's WVa vote
    superdelegates; 4
    popular vote; less than 500,000 with nearly 5 million expected votes yet to be cast

CNN and other news agencies should stop playing king-maker. Disgraceful!!

May 13, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  9. Nando, Florida

HILLARY CLINTON IS THE MODERN DAY GEN GEORGE PICKETT.

HEADING FOR THE WOODEN FENCE WITH NO HOPE OF VICTORY.

YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OBAMA 08,12

May 13, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  10. Craig, Seattle WA

Obama's failure to win in Appalachia means about as much as Clinton's inability to win in the West.

May 13, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  11. Whiskey

I love how all the "if not Hillary then McCain" fools are saying that Obama can not win in November. As she could, Look there is a reason why she is not winning the election you morons and you think she could win in November. She cant even win the primary.

May 13, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  12. Rebecca

Are you kidding me? The Clintons do not know when to stop. They are true poor sports who cannot admit defeat. They will still be on the field screaming and hollering after all the fans and the other team have left the park and the lights are turned off. As far as I'm concerned stay on the field as long as you want. The longer you stay the more iditoic and foolish you look and that will go down in your legacy.

May 13, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  13. Joanne Buck

West Virginia and Kentucky will give us the percentage votes for Obama if he is the nominee in November. Truth is three groups of pepole won't vote for him...sorry that is the facts.
    Joanne
    St Paul, Mn

May 13, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  14. Darth Vadik, CA

Poor Bill, has to put up with this every day, for the rest of his life, and I thought I had it tough.

May 13, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  15. Eddie G

Absolutely Delusional!

May 13, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  16. An American in Canada for David

SPECIAL REQUEST TO ALL CITIZENS OF THE STATE OF OREGON,

PLEASE COME OUT, AS A GROUP AND GIVE YOUR SUPPORT AND VOTE, TO HILLARY R. CLINTON.

SHE WILL BE THE BEST PRESIDENT
    SHE IS A WOMEN OF SUBSTANCE
    SHE HAS GREAT POLICIES
    SHE HAS WORKABLE SOLUTIONS
    SHE WILL BRING HOME OUR SOLDIERS
    SHE LOVES AMERICA
    SHE WILL BE READY ON DAY ONE

WE ARE DEPENDING UPON YOU!

COME AND VOTE WITH YOUR TRUE INTUITION ABOUT THIS DEMOCRATIC PRIMARY...

AMERICAN IS AWAITING, YOUR VOICES TO BE HEARD LOUD AND CLEAR....
    HILLARY R. CLINTON 2009 PRESIDENT.... THANK YOU OREGON

May 13, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  17. SCM DC

No one cares about West Virginia! Go away already, Hillary! People are sick and tired of you!!!

May 13, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  18. Watching every move

She tries to play on ignorant or uninformed people who don't read the newspaper or watch the news on TV. Since when has taking several days off before a primary been considered "aggressive?"

What a sore loser!

May 13, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  19. Marcus B

Hillary Clinton is a very funny woman. Her campaign spins EVERYTHING!!! She will stop at nothing to be President. She doesn't to run the country, she wants the title. With a husband like Bill Clinton, one of the best presidents in modern history, do people really think that Hillary Clinton will be doing the work?!?!?! That's absurd. She needs to have a seat and start getting her supporters to back Obama, who is CLEARLY the Democratic nominee for President of the United States.

OBAMA '08!!!!!!

May 13, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  20. Sorcha

Yeesh.

First, they say that he made only one campaign appearance in the state and use that as evidence that he doesn't care about West Virginia.

In the next breath they say he mounted an "agressive campaign."

Which is it?

I guess it depends on what the meaning of "is" is.

May 13, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  21. lars

So why does CNN report that Obama did NOT
    campaign there?
    One of these two is lying!

May 13, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  22. Bart in SC

To Obama Supporters:

I have posted the same type of comments for days!!!!

Once again the Obama supporters can not stop hating on Hillary. It really makes it difficult for Hillary supporters like myself to support Obama's campaign. I have alot of respect for Obama but I made a difficult choice between two great candidates and decided to support Hillary. I will continue to support her as long as she is in the primary race.

Obama will get my vote in November if he is the nominee but I will not feel good about working on a campaign that has bloggers like this.

May 13, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  23. Joe St Louis, MO

I am glad they point out to obvious all the time. We will not be held captive to the undereducated racist anymore. I respect all people and education levels. But this is the time to try to make things better.

May 13, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  24. Crystal Street

OMG! I gotta love it. He spends one day there...yesterday...and now he ran an agressive race? I would be curious to know exactly how much was spent by the Obama campaign no radio and TV advertisement in WV.......I am sure it wasn't a significant amount......

May 13, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  25. Golden Chica

Obama and his pundits have stolen the presidency from Hillary Clinton just like Bush stole the presidency from Gore. The democratic party is just like the republican party. Hillary go independent and forget about the democractic party. A lot of people will support.

May 13, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |