May 13th, 2008

Exit polls: West Virginia voters want Democratic race to continue

ALT TEXT

(CNN) - Despite a week of intense media speculation about whether Hillary Clinton will drop out of the race for the Democratic nomination, early exit polling in today's West Virginia Democratic primary shows 70 percent of the voters would prefer the campaign to continue. Only 25 percent say the campaign should end as soon as possible.

1. Jenna, CA

here's an exit poll for you.....

I'M NOT VOTING FOR BARAK OBAMA....

It's Hillary or I'll write her name in.

May 13, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  2. Holly

There is racism in West Virginia, end of story. Hillary should have dropped out long ago if she really cared about the Democratic party. All she's doing now is causing drama. And by the way, no, I am not black... and no, that is not why I'm saying that racism affects the results in West Virginia. I'm saying it because it's the truth. If you don't think so, please give me some of what you're smoking...

Thank you. Have a nice day.

May 13, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  3. Clinton/McCain

Congratulations Hillary! Let's all unite now behind Hillary!

May 13, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  4. Roger

I guess that the Obama campaign is going to play the race card on West Virginia now. :)

May 13, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  5. 7utu

Yes We DO! We want Hillary!

May 13, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  6. Bridgette

Congratulation senator Clinton. Even though it really doesn't change much it is still a victory for her. So Congrats.

May 13, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  7. Roger

Now the Obama campaign is going to play the race card on Clinton Supporters. :))

May 13, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  8. sacto joe

DEMOCRATS BEWARE!!!

A lot of Repubs posing as Democrats are posting hate mail. They're trying to drive a wedge between us!

RESIST THE REPUB HATE MACHINE!

May 13, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  9. sacto joe

CNN is a Republican RAG!

May 13, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  10. The Bright Days are Back Again

With HIllary winning and winning big... I feel elated.. ( not delusional, like some would like to say)..

We have invested immense trust in Hillary's leadership. I am proud that our families ( Jacobsons & Sittigs) remain absolutely undivided and without fail continue to support her.

Lets face it Hillary = Great jobs, great economy and booming US again..

HILLARY '08 and '12...

May 13, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  11. walli

West Virginia did not vote for John McCain either, he got 1% of the votes there. It seems West Virginia is good at going with the looser!!!

May 13, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  12. PBR

Hopefully the Democratic nominee will be elected into office in November WITHOUT West Virginia's support.

May 13, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  13. Roger

Drop out Obama! :)

May 13, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  14. KOR

What is the point of ending the campaign now? 3 more weeks and everyone will have voted. A new trend is emerging showing that voters do not like Barack v2.0, the Barack we found out about during the 6 week lull before the PA. That's what the Obama campaign is afraid of. The truth is Hillary doesn't have to catch up in delegates. The more obvious Obama's flaws become, the more we'll need a candidate who can actually win the election.

May 13, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  15. Holly

It's not a "race card." It's reality. We are talking about West Virginia, so comon now... don't kid yourself. There is a reason why the results in West Virgina are SO far off base from what the results have been everywhere else...

May 13, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  16. Bye-bye Hillary

This is so stupid! Our party needs to focus on winning and she can't win the nod unless it's stolen from Obama. I don;t see the point in here staying - unless it's to secure the White House for McCain. This is pointless.

May 13, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  17. Andrew

They should keep the campaign going. Why leave out the last few states? Eveyone gets a say except for 4 states at this point? Seems silly.

May 13, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  18. Paul Lewis

And why do we care about WV? It's meaningless.

Obama '08

May 13, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  19. Dougy Giro

Really!!?? Hillary supporters want the race to keep going? Wow! Nice piece of reporting, Joe. Pulitzer Prize stuff on the WV Primary from CNN tonight!

May 13, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  20. Marie in California

Hillary shouldn't drop out.....and she isn't creating a rift in the Democratic party either. The rift was always there. Now it's just become glaring. There are very different core constituencies within the Democratic party....and, often, ne'er the twain shall meet! That's what's happening now.

Bottom line....by cointinuing, Hillary is showing that she can carry lots more Americans that Obama can in a general election. That's blatantly apparent, no matter what the Obamanuts want to admit. They just see what they want to see. Talk about delusional! Hellloooooo!

I might be a Democrat but I have very little in the way of party loyalty, and so I often vote across party lines if I figure the Repubs are giving me a better candidate.

For me.....first choice for president is Hillary. Second choice is McCain. Obama doesn't even compute at all on my personal radar.....he's a dud with no substance or experience. And that will NOT change between now and November.

May 13, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  21. steve

WOW!!!
    What a surprise!. MSNBC, FOXNEWS and CNN pundits should be dancing in the streets.
    HIllary's gleeful hate filled race baiting campaign starting with the USA Today article WORKED. She is the white supremists darling girl. She will be held up as a hero to all the KLAN leaning racist, hate mongering bigots this side of the confederate flag. IT was easy for her. No ONE AT MSNBC called it for what it IS. West Virginia should be PROUD!

thanks fran

Obama 08

May 13, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  22. Fred

Get a clue. OF COURSE they want the race to continue, because they are voting for Clinton! If it was a more even state or an Obama state, you would have different results. Genius.

May 13, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  23. Former World Watcher

I would expect nothing less than this from the least educated state in the union. It's sad that the people of W. VA. were so easily duped by the Clinton political machine. It reminds me of the comical video Ma & Pa Kettle Math.

So in a nutshell: Thanks W. VA. for prolonging the inevitable and making us suffer for one more week.

May 13, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  24. ltd1974

I'm so tired of this Hillary person. My good ness, if Obama was in Hillary shoes, the race would have been over with by now. It's sad theat this country is based around race, I guess people who dislike other because of their race need to read the bible, and re-examine their self. I'm so glad I don't live a life where I have to judge people bace on the color of their skin.

Go Obama

Change is bigger than this election. Change is also changing the way we think and judge others. Just take a deep look at what is going on around the world, our community, our families and even at our employment. Hope you get the picture

May 13, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  25. G.L.

Sham on you VW. You should know better. Sham Sham.

May 13, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |