May 13th, 2008

McCain to make SNL appearance

McCain, who has been the subject of several SNL sketches this season, will appear on the show this weekend.

(CNN) - John McCain is known to tell a joke from time to time, but how will the Arizona senator stand up next to comedian Steve Carell?

McCain is slated to appear on Saturday Night Live this weekend, during which Carell will play host, a McCain aide confirms to CNN.

The aide says the presumptive Republican presidential nominee will head to New York Saturday to rehearse for his role, though it remains unclear exactly what part he will play.

McCain hosted the comedy sketch show himself in 2002.

Democrats Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton have also made appearances on the show this year.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. CNN CONTINUES TO CENSOR ITS VIEWERS AND POSTERS?!

SNL should do a sketch about how CNN continues to discriminate against Hillary Clinton supporters by CENSORING and removing our posts. I pay for my cable TV and for having CNN to watch. I think I should be able to express my opinion here on the Ticker where my posts are frequently removed without any just cause.

Here is some of what I said in a prior post. If there is a problem with it, one would think they would be notified. CNN has posters' e-mail addresses:

The Superdelegates will have to really take pause if Hillary Clinton wins by a fairly wide margin of 20 points or better in West Virginia because West Virginia will be a critical swing state in the November election. Hillary Clinton is no slouch here. She has carried the entire Democratic base in this election and more Democrats have voted for her than Barack Obama in this country. The DNC failed to represent and count the votes of Democratic voters in Florida whose Republican leaders moved the primary up there and Barack Obama reportedly did not approve a re-vote in Florida and Michigan. But, the voters of these two states WILL have their voices heard in the General Election and they are NOT HAPPY with Barack Obama, the DNC, the Rules Committee, or Howard Dean.

There are also a great number of women in this country – baby boomers of an age now who were a part of the Women's Movement of the 1960s who WANT to see Hillary Clinton in the White House. Hillary Clinton is experienced and competent – and she is woman which is a bonus.

The Democratic Party has its work cut out for them – a monster they created for themselves. At this point, I will not be surprised if we end up with McCain in the White House this time around. I think the DNC has worked very well in doing things that have nearly destroyed the Democratic Party in this election. They have a LOT of cleaning up to do.

How is it that the Superdelegates, Guam, and other entities are deciding this race when there are 2.3 million citizen-voters in Florida and Michigan who are being denied their votes and their voices in this election. The DNC made the rules in such a way that neither candidate can reach the finish line without the Superdelegates. I have wondered if this was intentional because it does not make much sense.

I think the Democratic Party could be heading for a split because I do not see we, the Hillary Clinton supporters, turning away from Hillary Clinton. In fact, there is a movement for Hillary Democrats to write-in Hillary Clinton on the General Election ballot if her name is not already on it when we vote. I think there are also Hillary Clinton Democrats who will be voting Republican because many of us believe Hillary Clinton got a raw deal in this election.

May 13, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  2. Toni

This guy is definitely out of touch. Today he didn't bother to show up at the Senate to vote on an important gas measure that could save Americans a couple of pennys to twenty five cents for a gallon of gas; however he can plan a weekend on the set of Saturday Night Live. Unbelievable!!!. Bush's protege at his finest. Wake up folks!!!

May 13, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  3. Alan Boyer

He needs to do something to be perceived as being relevant. So far, he's so 1980s.

May 13, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  4. maeinPA

tejano- Hillary is one of us?
    Are you a multi-millionaire also?
    Wow must be great to be you! She is not one of "us" as in working slugs who have no insurance, our pay is stagnant "if" we have a job. My daughter will be in to debt up to her ears to get a biology degree. She won't be able to take a year off work, if I run for dog catcher, because she will be paying for her student loans for 20 years! If your child can get a free college education, and take a year off for "mommy", then you vote for her, b/c she is one of you!
    She is nothing like me, she is not like "one of us" where I come from. She has had everything handed to her, and has had to work for nothing! She has lead a privileged life,,,and if you believe any thing different,,,then you believe she really was under sniper fire too!
    When I wear $1000. pant suits, don't have to pump gas, let alone buy it, and have my coffee poured into china for me, not pour it myself in a paper cup in a convenience store...THEN I will vote for her! When someone pays for my daughter's education so she doesn't have to work TWO part time jobs at the same time AND try to keep her GPA up, THEN I VOTE FOR HILLARY B/C I will be like HER!
    Till that time...I'm voting for the guy that pulled himself up by his boot straps, had to live with racism, and discrimination, PAID his own way to college with loans, AND came out of it all with Ethics, standards and MORALS, to tell the truth...even when the truth is painful!
    She does NOT represent ME, and I will NEVER vote for her, not even as the white middle aged woman...I am!

May 13, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  5. Robert

Did Leiberman whisper in his ear what Saturday Night Live is?

May 13, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  6. Tom

I can't think of anything funnier than one of the founding members of the Keating 5 scandal to tell jokes on SNL. Didn't know Lorne was a member of the GOP. Maybe McCain will do a stand up routine where he jokes about why he's continued to vote AGAINST veterans benefits. Oh, and the hilarious one where he thinks it'd be a good thing for us to be at war for 100 years. Whew... laughing so hard my stomach aches. Oh, and then he could tell us how he facilitated questionable land deals with billionaire Mr. Diamond in his home state of Arizona, where John pushed the pentagon for a quick sale of military land. John McCain... what a joke.

May 13, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  7. An American in Canada for David

Obama Supporter May 13th, 2008 5:08 pm ET

Hey, Barack! Glad to see you're instantly conceding to Clinton on WVA. Those dumbies don't deserve the attention of a guy of your caliber. I think conceding early on shows how expendable they are for you – who needs bible toting, gun toting miners. Hillary is slumming, right? You go, Barack!

OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT NOW!!!
    ***********************************

HEY OBAMA SUPPORTERS "HOW TO WIN FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE" A MUST PREREQUISITE READ FOR ALL COLLEGE ENTRY LEVEL STUDENTS,

I GUESS YOUR NOT ONE OF THE EGG HEADS SO YOU MUST BE ONE OF THE AFRICAN AMERICAN THAT SUPPORT OBAMA...

COMMENTS LIKE YOURS ONLY REMINDS THE REST OF AMERICA WHAT WE HAVE HIDDEN IN THE GUTTERS....
    BARACK GUTTER BLOGGERS, YOU JUST CAN'T BEAT THEM FOR THEIR ORIGINAL VERBAL TRASH!!!

GOD BLESS AMERICA AND OUR NEXT PRESIDENT H.R. CLINTON

May 13, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  8. Belle

Patricia, I don't recall saying who I support. But okay.

My point was that the Obama supporters are insulting to anyone who doesn't support Obama and as a result, McCain will end up clinching the presidency.

Read into that whatever you wish.

May 13, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  9. William

Go McCain. Democrats for McCain

May 13, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  10. Antonio

Sharon from Minnesotta

do you find bombing Iran funny?

May 13, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  11. Nelda

Obama 08 love it or not that is the way it is!

May 13, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  12. Sean, Detroit MI

Abe Lincoln had this to say, probably about McCain: "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    - Abraham Lincoln

May 13, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  13. Kim

Waah!! No Way! Oh heck no! I will vote for Kim Jong Il before I will vote for Obama! Really, I will vote for satan rather than Obama. I mean it! I will vote for Amijindad before Obama. So either nominate Hillary or I will take my toys and vote and go home! And I will hold my nose until I turn Blue1

May 13, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  14. Steve

@J.Onofre -CA – "McCain will not get my vote. Bush can tell a better joke than McCain and I hate Bush."

Wow! The ability to deliver a joke is the basis for who gets your vote? How sad.

May 13, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  15. Not Really Decided

Dear Americans:

I am sure you will agree with me this has been an exciting primary election. However, we must never forget the idea of our forefathers “that we the people” and the legacy of a dream “that I have a dream” should not be forgotten. Our differences may be great but let us not forget the American spirit and let us unite. Whoever our nominee, let it be heard and said that we as American’s will support our country and land and that we are one.

May 13, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  16. Sharon Minnesota

Antonio, actually, I do find it quite funny. He was joking I'm sure. If Iran is ever truly bombed it would be a tragedy for their people. However, both Clinton and McCain have the right idea. Keep em guessing and on their toes when they're as insane as their president.

May 13, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  17. Bill in Columbia

Wow, so much derision and hate for McCain. I can almost taste the bile in the mouth of the Obamabots.

May 13, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  18. Bill in Columbia

What I find amazing is that the Obamabots are the first ones to scream racism at the first hint of anti-Obama comments and yet they find it so easy to ridicule someone for their age. Sorry Obamabots, you're just a bunch of hypocrits.

May 13, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |