May 13th, 2008

Schneider: The Wright effect

(CNN) - Is Barack Obama's former pastor still an issue for voters? We asked West Virginia Democrats whether they think Barack Obama shares the views of the Rev. Jeremiah Wright.

Just over 50 percent say Obama does share Wright's controversial views while 47 percent say he does not.

These numbers suggest Wright continues to be an open issue for at least West Virginia Democrats

1. worse than the rest

Obama is worse than other politicians.

He is evil at the core but pretty on the surface.

He agrees with Wright but denounces him just to advance himself politically.

He pretends to run a positive campaign- but gets his surrogates and supporters to beat up his opponent for him.

This man is evil incarnate

May 13, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  2. That's Reality

Of course Wright is and will continue to be an issue.

Linned – I'm white and I would vote for Condi Rice or any other Black person who is qualified. Obama is out of the question and one reason is because he sat under Wright for 20 years and you just don't do that unless you agree with what is being preached. I can't believe he has made it this far but the alternative is not a whole lot better.

McCain will beat Obama in November because he is by far the more trustworthy and experienced, and that is crucial to the well-being of the country.

May 13, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  3. David, Santa Rosa, CA

Sharon Minnesotta – Do what you must. Now sush. We've been there. We've done that. That you care, says much more about you than it does about Obama. That you think it's an issues, is frightening.

Do you know what a lemming is?

May 13, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  4. Sinbad

Sharon of Minnesota and "Oreo": You need to be reminded that Rev. Wright was a confidant of Bill and Hilary Clinton WHILE they were in office. DOES THIS MEAN THEN THAT THEY SHARED HIS VERY SAME HATE FILLED PHILOSOPHIES?!!!! DO THEY STILL DESERVE OUR SUPPORT?!!!!! THEY KNEW HIM AND EMBRACED HIM!!!!! FUNNY HILLARY CLAIMS SHE WOULD WALKED OUT ON SOMEONE LIKE THAT, BUT HER AND HER HUSBAND EMBRACED HIM!!!!!
    AND THEN THERE IS MCCAIN, A MAN WHO EMBRACES THE ENDORSEMENT OF TWO REVERENDS (THAT ARE WHITE) THAT BLAME KATRINA AND DOWN FALL OF THIS COUNTRY ON GAYS, LESBIANS AND JEWS!!! AND YOU SAY YOU WILL SUPPORT THIS MAN!!! GO AHEAD THROW AWAY YOUR VOTE AND YOUR RIGHTS (ESPECIALLY FOR WOMEN- WHEN HE WILL NOMINATE SUPREME COURT JUSTICES THAT WILL OVERTURN ROE v. WADE).

May 13, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  5. sleaziest Uncle

Strip the veneer of civility and Obama oozes with sleaze.

He is a hypocritical pandering sell out.

Wright was not the issue- Obama's waffling was.

His denounciation was all political showcasing.

May 13, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  6. READ AND RESPOND

You said it right Linned I agree with you 100%.

There are those who will not vote for Obama for their own selfish , biased , unjustifiable reasons. They sit there and watch the news spins and tell themselves thats why I'm not voting for him. One excuse is just as good or as bad as the next.

They convince themself with or try to put it out here in the blog as the reasons why they won't vote for the man. Those are the people who are led by fears that have been instilled in them as they grew up in america, due to the fears that were instilled in their parents, and sadfully so they will instill it in their children as well.

May 13, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  7. fed up

hey-Linned- you are so wrong! I will never vote for Obama-I, along with so many others, believe he is a big FAKE!! How can you excuse the facts that are right in front of you? Not only is Rev. Wright a very large issue but so is the FACT that he degraded millions of hard working Americans. I am one of those so-called people who must "cling to my guns or religion" Now he is wearing a Flag pin-what a joke! If he wins the nomination then we will have 4 more years of republicans.

May 13, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  8. Marissa

Are we really still talking about Jeremiah Wright? Really? Please...

May 13, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  9. Allison Marie

I live in Florida and won't vote for Obama, Clinton or nothing!

Clinton 08/12

May 13, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  10. Julie

Do you realize McCain is endorsed and stands next to two preachers with racial views? does that count against him?

May 13, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  11. fed up

to Read and respond-It is just easier fir you to beleive that we the Hillary supporter are actually biased?? Why because we support a white individual-you mean everyone who doesn't votefor OBama is a racist?? Waht are You nuts?? Or is it just you who was lead by fears that were instillled in you????
    And to you Sinbad-Get your facts straight-The Clintons held a fundraiser at the White House at which Wright was present, they did not sit in his pews listening to racist BS for 20 years. Wake up- the states Obama won are Repulican states, he will lose in November if he is the nominee.
    We have EVERY right to vote for who we want regardless of what any of you nuts say. We want Hillary!!!!!!

May 13, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  12. linda-Texas

Senator Obama's relationship with Rev. Wright is only one of the serious questions surrounding him that prevent me from ever voting for him.

May 13, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  13. jenkins

Obama got trounced. I love it!

May 13, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  14. Linned

That's Reality and Fed Up

As a retiree I have watched this election unfold on a daily basis. Senator Obama said that they did not regularly attend services after the birth of their first child – who looks to be about 9 yrs old. Trust me if Senator Obama had been in church the pundits such as Hannity, Bill O'Reilly and others would have put it on the air just as they were playing the loops. That's Reality – I don't have children but do have relatives who have done 3 & 4 tours in Iraq and don't want to see them have to go through that again. Do you have children? Fed Up – it is your perogative to vote for whom ever you choose. I along with so many other, believe that he is NOT being FAKE! I listened to his speech and he said he chose the wrong words – I believe him until I see different. I cannot tell from your answer if you are a Clinton supporter – what about what she said about the white blue collar workers? As far as the flag pins goes – does Clinton and McCain wear one? I believe he was at an event with Veterans. They way I see it you actions speak louder than wearing a flag pin. John McCain didn't agree with the Veterans package being put forth saying that it was too much.

May 13, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  15. KE

Focusing on the real issue starting now from West Virginia, this race has just begun.
    Real talk about issues that are important to all America starts now from Middle America.

God bless America 2008!

May 13, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  16. sc00ter1821

I have always voted democrat as have my parents as we are all union workers. But if Obma gets the nod, I will vote for McCain. If Hillary gets the nod then i will vote Democrat. There is no way i want a president that follows the teachings of a racist like Reverand Wright. We do not need a racist president, I can almost guarantee if Obama gets elected, Reverand Wright will be in the Cabinet somwhere.

May 13, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  17. Sharon Minnesota

Sinbad and David of Santa Rosa, your rational is so completely flawed, you do know that don't you?

I just can't bother to explain it over and over again to people who don't want to understand the truth about what is staring them in the face. You're just wearing me out!!!

Shush yourself.

May 13, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  18. deidre

I AM READING AND RESPONDING.......I knew when that Wright Story broke that that would change the face of Sen. Obama's campaign, guess I've been around those 'states that don't matter' a little bit more than you. I scough at the Obama supporters that think this is all about racism. IT"S NOT ABOUT RACISM. Having Rev. Wright come out really changed a lot of homegrown white people's view of the senator. Sorry, but most people in this country do not come from cities or urban areas and most of hem are not black. That's just reality. Nobody likes to be insulted and I think the Rev. Wright story insulted a lot of White people.

May 13, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  19. BGIV in NC

I bet there are a bunch of them that still believe he is a Muslim as well. WV fits her self proclaimed demographic perfectly. I need not elaborate.

May 13, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  20. Tim in Canada

Obama didn't campaign much in West Virginia because he wanted her to win huge so she can raise funds to pay off her debt, hence the much denial from her camp.

May 13, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |