May 13th, 2008

Three more superdelegates for Obama

Romer, a former DNC chairman, endorsed Obama Tuesday.
Romer, a former DNC chairman, endorsed Obama Tuesday.

(CNN) - Barack Obama picked up endorsements from three more superdelegates Tuesday, extending his lead over Hillary Clinton in that category to seven.

Indiana Rep. Joe Donnelly, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin, and former Colorado Gov. and onetime Democratic National Committee Chairman Ray Romer have all announced they are backing the Illinois senator.

In a conference call with reporters, Romer acknowledged he has known both Clintons much longer than he has known Obama, but said he feels it is now impossible for the New York senator to win the nomination.

“There is a time we need to end it and direct ourselves to the general election. I think that time is now," he said.

According to CNN's tally, Obama now has the support of 280 superdelegates compared to Clinton's 273.

1. R. Squibbs

To Maya,

I take it you *can* condone:

Clinton's willingness to play the politics of fear (images of bin Laden & the 3am phone call ad)

Clinton's embrace of reckless cowboy foreign policy (the "obliterate Iran" remark)

Clinton's cynical embrace of a dumb-populism (experts are "elitists" and I'm not going to listen to them)

Clinton's willingness to stoop to racial divisiveness ("hard working Americans, white Americans")

What's the difference between this sort of gutter sleaze politics and what we've been putting up with for eight years from the Bush administration?

No thanks. Clinton has proven herself to be entirely unprincipled, grossly opportunistic, and wholly dishonest.

It's time to unite behind Obama and take back the White House.

May 13, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  2. Milton, Harrisburg, PA

Some of the methods for counting states doesn't add up. Obviously you can't count Michigan or Florida (although somebody does–Terry) but it isn't just those states. Did anybody notice that Barack Obama actually won Texas if you count the caucus and popular vote combined. 98 delegates to Clinton's 95. The math can't work, especially if you are starting with fake numbers.

Anybody (Obama or Clinton supporters) that claim they will be voting for McCain if their candidate doesn't get the nomination, is a fake democrat anyway. Hello? Suck it up and vote against McBush. It is bad voting decisions like that that gave us Bush (TWICE!!).

May 13, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  3. Obama

If Obama is in, I am out of the democratic party. We all have seen just how he has obtained his win and just how the democratic party turned their backs on HIlliary. To hell with the superdelegates and who gives a flying leap about these "young black voters who will be upset if he does not get in". I did not know that is what an election is based on. What crap. And none of us care what John Edwards has to say at this point either.

A good chunck of Hillary supporters will not vote for Obama. If Obama thinks Hillary supporters are as dumb as his supporters and will vote for him, he is in for a surprise and so is the dem. party. Most of us will not unite behind him. He is not qualified – he is in the lead because black voters are voting for skin color and not brains and unfortunately all of us will pay the price if he gets in.

To bad if Hillary has to back him. I for one hope she does not take the VP spot. He will just feed off of her brains. Let all the nasty mouth people who made really bad remarks about Hillary help him.

And CNN, how could you print that about Hillary and Fatal Attraction and put those pictures side by side. You do some really bad bias reporting.

May 13, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  4. what is this popular vote thing?

Would someone please explain to me exactly what "popular vote" means? Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it true that many states have not kept accounting of their "popular vote" since it wasn't the party's measure? (The delegate count was the only measure) And, isn't the term, "popular vote" simply another Hillary "make-believe" distraction to throw off the uninformed voter?

Oh, please, America, wake up and smell the rotting flesh...

May 13, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  5. Terry H

So many people acting like this is a good thing. Never mind the "HISTORY of good service" the Clintons have done for the democratic party. They are just throwing her to the wolves and ignoring the desire of the people. Never mind the fact that McCain is going beat Obama like a yard dog come November. I am so disgraced and dissapointed by my party. I was actually a republican and switched over because of Bush. I never cast one vote for Bush and was hoping the democrats could save our country. Well now thats a wash. I guess I'll be switching back over because for whatever faults the republican party may have, they don't stab the peoples choice in the back just to enter their ringer. I've not read the Bible like I should have over the years but Revelations seems to be resounding. Obama will be the destruction of life as we know it if we don't stop him. God help us all.

May 13, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  6. Giuliano from Montreal

Well I mean if they're going to do it drop by drop (SD coming out for Obama to put an end to these primaries)...why not just have a bunch of them come out together to have a greater impact. I guess they want to give the impression that this is not all planned.
    Whatever since they're coming out for my preferred candidate. As for Hillary...well she just has to remember that humility is one the most powerful of all qualities to have and to show humility in such a situation wouldn't paint her as a quitter but as a woman of great character and judgment.

Do it Hillary. Save your party and save YOURSELF.

This message has been approved by me.

May 13, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  7. Chut Pata

Anyone bothering to read the comments would know I am an extreme supporter of Obama.

I WILL WITHDRAW MY SUPPORT AND VOTE FOR McBUSH IF BILLARY IS ADDED TO THE TICKET.

Guys come sing along with me,

IT AINT GONNA BE NO CHANGE
    IF YOU HAVE A CLINTON OR MCCAIN

May 13, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  8. Marcia, Chicago

Wouldn't it be cool if the superdelegates came out in full force for Obama after today. That would be the best thing for our country. Hillary only thinks about Hillary, as America and the world can see.

Hey Hillary, take your millions and buy some dignity.

May 13, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  9. real obama supporter

BIG BEN
    hillary did it to herself
    you feel sorry for her
    she would not spit on you if you were on fire

May 13, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  10. levy

there is no doubt that Obama will be the next president of U.S.

May 13, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  11. elvis presley,freddie mercury & john lennon.

»»ENOUGH of LIES!...ENOUGH of Imaginary Snipers(?!) attacks(!?)!!...ENOUGH of SEX Scandals!...ENOUGH of CLINTONS!...Go OBAMA!...VICTORY!...HURRAH!...H...HURRAH!... GOODBYE Clintons!!...Go OBAMA!!...

May 13, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |