May 14th, 2008

Blitzer: A touching moment in today's Clinton interview

Blitzer: Clinton told me she's in it until the end.
Blitzer: Clinton told me she's in it until the end.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - On this day after Hillary Clinton’s landslide victory over Barack Obama in West Virginia, I sat down with her in Washington. We had a wide-ranging interview on several substantive issues, including the economy, gas prices, the war in Iraq, and her race for the White House. “We’re going to finish this process,” she said. “I still believe I’d be a better president and the stronger candidate against Senator McCain.”

But it was a very personal matter that sparked a more emotional response from Senator Clinton. I asked her about her daughter Chelsea and the amazing work that she has been doing for her mother on the campaign trail. I was CNN’s White House correspondent back in 1993 when Bill Clinton became president. Chelsea was then a little girl. But now she’s a grown woman.

I asked Senator Clinton what goes through her mind when she sees her daughter working as hard for her campaign as she does.

“It’s one of the most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life, as a person and as a mother,” she replied, her eyes beginning to get moist. “I get very emotional. She is an exceptional person, and she’s worked so hard, and she’s done such a good job that I’m just filled with pride every time I look at her.”

It was such a very human and touching mother-daughter kind of moment. She may be a tough politician and a real fighter but she’s also a loving mother, and that came through on this day.

Watch me interview Senator Clinton at 4 and 6 p.m. ET on The Situation Room.

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. M.C.

John Edwards who??? Who can spell loser??? One loser endorsing another because the lady won BIG yesterday. Elizabeth Edwards obviously endorses Hillary (Today show program, People interview). Poor Elizabeth. Her only fault is she married an L!!!!!

May 14, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  2. dorothy

Okay, Okay, I have done my share of Hillary bashing, BUT, I think she conducted herself well in the interview and she no doubt is proud of her daughter as we all are of our children. I must give her credit:

1) It is inspirational to teach people to never give up. Keep fighting, though she needs to fight with a little less negativity in the future. It is her right to see this through to the end and I think that she knows it is the end.

2) She did encourage people not to vote for McCain if she is not the nominee. This is not something that she had to do.

Thus, could we stop bashing for a minute? Barack is obviously the nominee. Unity, unity, unity....that's the ticket!

May 14, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  3. nic, bellingham wa

Wolf,
    Give us a break...there's nothing touching about a zealous attempt to establish an American oligarchy...or perpetuous race baiting, or "moving the goalposts." This whole thing is ridiculous, and it's not even newsworthy anymore...let's move on to covering McCain vs. Obama, and do our best to forget the name "Clinton."

May 14, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  4. Manoj Kamat, North Bergen NJ

Wolf – just affirms that CNN stands for "Clinton News Network"...enough already!!!

May 14, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  5. stop the madness

Has she shed a tear for the deaths of our dead military that she along with McCain and Buch sent to fight a senseless war against a nation that was not a threat to us!! Even one tear, no not so much as an apology! So she can keep those that she so easily shed on a moment notice for herself and her own!! At least she still has her daughter to give her more proud memories in the future ALL the mothers of our young dead troops have is past memories never to add to them. S

May 14, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  6. Jeff D, South Bend, IN

Sure, just like crying in New Hampshire. Real touching, being manipulated like that.

May 14, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  7. Marisol

I'm sitting here reading some of these comments and I'm thinking "and they think she's sick." There are some really nasty people in this country that are honestly beyond help.

May 14, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  8. Jane L.

Hillary Clinton has raised a fine daughter, and she has a right to be very proud of her.

But no doubt some idiots will refer to this small emotional moment as Sen. Clinton's attempt to get sympathy or votes. If Obama did the same, he'd be praised to the hilt for being such a fine father. It's very difficult for a strong, intelligent women to win. I'm afraid our wounded country is missing a rare window of opportunity to have a woman in the white house who would probably be the most capable president in our history.

May 14, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  9. KE

Thanks Blitzer.

But ignore other noises!
    Don't let the big boys and the media and the Obama clan stop the voting process.

Vote Hillary 2008!

Hillary or McCain 2008 election.

May 14, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  10. Marie Ritland

Can Wolf B please stop interrupting his interviewees? It's worth the few seconds of pause by showing a little respect for the one being questioned and the audience.

May 14, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  11. alice2Fresno,CA

I am just NOT MOVED ONE INCH with any show of emotion from Hillary. She is so untrustworthy, such a phony, and further just more of her crap, just to much of a fake. Sorry Hill you'r not creditable & really don't you think you need a reality check, and then GET OUT.

May 14, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  12. stephen

Hey Wolf...do you guys ever feel abused. Hillary finally agrees to an on air interview with you and Obama preempts her with the Edwards endorsement...which becomes the focus of the show. Now, does anyone feel that is a coincidence?

May 14, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  13. Mr. B.

But...............,

America Is Ready
    Obama 08

May 14, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  14. faye, NV

Yes either one at one time would have been better, until Hillary showed her true self. Over indulge in selfishness and conceited ideas about herself.

Once I was a Clinton fan, but lately I've seen and heard things from her that is native and hurtful. To think that only the white vote count when every vote is needed to win. For my house hold a brid will do for us.

May 14, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  15. m.procope

Why do you sound like an infomercial for Mrs.Clinton?

May 14, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  16. efrem

Since John Edwards endorsed Barak Obama, does his 26 delegates go into the Obama column.

May 14, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  17. stop the madness

So she needs to SUCK IT UP we don't want to see another tear from this woman except maybe on her way out!!!

Hillary supporters I am sorry, but this woman brings out the worst in me I despise the way she plays on people's emotions to gain what she wants when it is proven she is heartless and so is her daughter and husband, but you already know this surely you have researched them before supporting them and their heartless corruption may be acceptable to you, but I can't recieve it. She knows even as she is speaking she CAN NOT, WILL NOT WIN, but is once again in this to misuse her supporters by misleading them so that they will send more money to repay herself. To me this is wrong!!

May 14, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  18. barry

its over....not just for hillary clinton but for the democratic party...howard dean will go down in history along with nancy palosi and harry reid as loosing the election of a life time....come november the republicans will be dancing in the street...

May 14, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  19. Tony, Miami

crocodile's tears

May 14, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  20. Mat

I don't want a president who will cry when she talks about how hard it is to be on the campaign trail, or who gets misty eyed when talking about her daughter!

This is a race for our President, not a paget queen!

Is she going to get misty eyed when she has to pick up that phone at 3am or when she address the nation on Mothers day? For someone who can be such a hard fighting, low blow punching nominee how does she just turn on the tears – at the best times?

Wake up Billary fans, it's all a lie and you're loving it

May 14, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  21. Hillary Clinton for President

Chelsea is a smart young woman and a hard worker. Hillary Clinton should be very proud.

May 14, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  22. From the south

I think everyone needs to stop picking on Senator Clinton, she is a woman and a mother. Any mother should have a special feeling for her child . No matter what my children do, they are still God sent, and I love them unconditionally. I will always respect Senator Clinton, she has more guts that most of us. She will get my vote one way or another, and she should be the next President of our United States.

May 14, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  23. Natalie

I am a true 150% Obama supporter, but I do believe that the tears were real this time. It's very easy for a loving mother to get choked up about her child, especially when her child has been so supportive on her behalf. Come on guys, stop dissecting everything, and let's come together...PLEASE!

Democrat '08!!!