May 14th, 2008

Blitzer: A touching moment in today's Clinton interview

Blitzer: Clinton told me she's in it until the end.
Blitzer: Clinton told me she's in it until the end.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - On this day after Hillary Clinton’s landslide victory over Barack Obama in West Virginia, I sat down with her in Washington. We had a wide-ranging interview on several substantive issues, including the economy, gas prices, the war in Iraq, and her race for the White House. “We’re going to finish this process,” she said. “I still believe I’d be a better president and the stronger candidate against Senator McCain.”

But it was a very personal matter that sparked a more emotional response from Senator Clinton. I asked her about her daughter Chelsea and the amazing work that she has been doing for her mother on the campaign trail. I was CNN’s White House correspondent back in 1993 when Bill Clinton became president. Chelsea was then a little girl. But now she’s a grown woman.

I asked Senator Clinton what goes through her mind when she sees her daughter working as hard for her campaign as she does.

“It’s one of the most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life, as a person and as a mother,” she replied, her eyes beginning to get moist. “I get very emotional. She is an exceptional person, and she’s worked so hard, and she’s done such a good job that I’m just filled with pride every time I look at her.”

It was such a very human and touching mother-daughter kind of moment. She may be a tough politician and a real fighter but she’s also a loving mother, and that came through on this day.

Watch me interview Senator Clinton at 4 and 6 p.m. ET on The Situation Room.

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. 60 year old white female, Mo

To Hillary Supporters who won't vote for Obama if he is the Nominee:

You have the choice to vote for OBama or vote for the 3rd term of BUSH; War for 100 years; Worse economy; Jobs loss; High groceries and gas prices... Just choose what you want...

I don't care about the Old , non-educated people voting for Hillary... I am old, but I care about the future for my children , grand children.. We need Change... No more BUSH-CLINTON...; Why you old -white , keep voting for the same people? Do you want the same politicover and over again?

May 14, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  2. Media blackout Date May 15th

Can't wait to see what the Gimmick Candidate will do next, maybe levitate like David Blaine? :o

Hillary Clinton, the Gimmick Candidate
    Bill and Hillary, The Gimmick Family
    Do and Say Anything '08 ! :D

May 14, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  3. v.ananthan

Mothers and people who love their mother will understand Hillary^s love for her daughter…

HILLARY IS A STRONG LEADER AND AT THE SAME TIME VERY HUMANE …

SHE WILL BECOME A GREAT AMERICAN PRESIDENT…

-Hillary 08.

May 14, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  4. Independent for Obama

********************** EVERYONE!! *************************

Please be nice to each other, and respectful of Hillary Clinton.

She's taken a lot of time out of her life to run for the presidency and try to do what she thinks is best for the country.

Name calling and nastiness never won anyone any friends.

May 14, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  5. Tee-Off

A win in Kentuky and Oregon could close the deal for President Obama. Let's all vote for Obama and get this long drawn out primary over with. I don't know if it is Hillary Clinton ranting all the time or what, but this primary seems to have been going on for five years. Please can someone shut that shrilly voiced old woman up.

May 14, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  6. For the love of this independent

As an Obama supporter. I really have to say if this was the side that showed forth more in this campaign other than the Rovist I truly believe Hillary would be the nominee. She is truly qualified to run the country and a wonderful person when you get to know her. I support Obama because I wanted change not experience. But I would have voted for Clinton.

May 14, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  7. Venus

Her family has done a great job!

Hats off to Chel!

It's starting to hit Hillary that she is not going to win!

She even said it would be a mistake to vote for Mc Cain!

I don't trust her!

Go Obama!

May 14, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  8. Peter from Oregon

She does get very emotional when she thinks it benefits her. It has worked for her in the past. She's trying her best to play to the gender issue, i.e. mother-daughter relationship.

May 14, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  9. FedUpDem

Can you even begin to imagine the kind of nasty vile things the obamidiots will be saying here?

May 14, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  10. Blyth

So does this mean Hillary will tell Chelsea what her husband did to
    Juanita Broderick and why Hillary kept it silent?

May 14, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  11. shola

senator clinton,
    we respect you as a mother and a leader, but this presidency is not for you. If it were, majority of americans would not have voted for the so called inexperienced new comer. People can see beyond the farcade of nice campaign words, and please give us a break with the choke- ups, this is not about emotions, this is about lives.

May 14, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  12. Ashley, OKC

Oh, give me a break!!!!

We see through you, Hillary!!! We all see through you!!!!

One question: If you value the life of your daughter so much and her presence in your life, then why did you send so many men and women her age overseas to die? Why did you put them in harm's way without reading the intelligence reports? Would you have sent your own daughter?

May 14, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  13. Who cares Wolf

I guess Chelsea is still living off the folks but she is getting experience which, according to some HRC supporters, is apparently sufficient to become President. Chelsea for Veep!

May 14, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  14. R.I.F.

I know you love Hillary and all Wolf, but this is the exact same story that's already on the ticker. Exact same!!!

May 14, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  15. oil rules

Two stories on this same event? Clinton News Network is really trying to soften the great fall and make her viable for a VP slot. Michelle better not get near the cigars....

Obama/Hamas 08

May 14, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  16. Anonymous

Oh no! She didn't cry again, did she?

May 14, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  17. Rosalind

Drama Queen!

Go Obama, 2008!

May 14, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  18. Debbie,NJ

Come on Wolf. With all that's going on you're emphasizing her crying over her daughter. That's why somebody else should have done the interview. SOmebody that would treat her like a candidate for Presidency rather than a first lady.

May 14, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  19. sacto joe

DEMOCRATS BEWARE!!!

A lot of Repubs posing as Democrats are posting hate mail. They're trying to drive a wedge between us!

RESIST THE REPUB HATE MACHINE!

May 14, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  20. Ken Austin, TX

So what Wolf? Instead of asking her nice, pandering questions related to her daughter, you should've hit her with some more substantial-based questions.

May 14, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  21. proud army and navy mom

only thing that has tears coming from her eyes is that 20 million she threw away and losing

May 14, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  22. Sylvia, California

So drinking and hunting with the guys didn't work so HRC brings on the tears again. Disgusting!

May 14, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  23. JDM

This is the second time today Blitzer mention this today!
    What about the Del count for O B.?

May 14, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  24. Pam

Come on Wolf, just admit you're a Hillary supporter.

May 14, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  25. huh?

One post maybe . . . . . but two? 55 minutes apart from each other? It's fine if the ticker is meant to reflect editorial preferences but don't you guys tout yourselves as "the best political team on TV? " Do you mean team as in part of Clinton's team? Kind of shameless don't you think?

May 14, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |