May 14th, 2008

Blitzer: A touching moment in today's Clinton interview

Blitzer: Clinton told me she's in it until the end.
Blitzer: Clinton told me she's in it until the end.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - On this day after Hillary Clinton’s landslide victory over Barack Obama in West Virginia, I sat down with her in Washington. We had a wide-ranging interview on several substantive issues, including the economy, gas prices, the war in Iraq, and her race for the White House. “We’re going to finish this process,” she said. “I still believe I’d be a better president and the stronger candidate against Senator McCain.”

But it was a very personal matter that sparked a more emotional response from Senator Clinton. I asked her about her daughter Chelsea and the amazing work that she has been doing for her mother on the campaign trail. I was CNN’s White House correspondent back in 1993 when Bill Clinton became president. Chelsea was then a little girl. But now she’s a grown woman.

I asked Senator Clinton what goes through her mind when she sees her daughter working as hard for her campaign as she does.

“It’s one of the most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life, as a person and as a mother,” she replied, her eyes beginning to get moist. “I get very emotional. She is an exceptional person, and she’s worked so hard, and she’s done such a good job that I’m just filled with pride every time I look at her.”

It was such a very human and touching mother-daughter kind of moment. She may be a tough politician and a real fighter but she’s also a loving mother, and that came through on this day.

Watch me interview Senator Clinton at 4 and 6 p.m. ET on The Situation Room.

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. joywinnebago

It makes me extremely angry to read the vitriolic comments about this genuine reaction to a question about her daughter. This is not helpful to an Obama candidacy. You insult her as a candidate on policy-that's one thing. You insult her as a person, you insult all those–including me–who admire her as a leader of the Democratic party. Don't make me mad that I'm a Democrat. You need me come this fall.

May 14, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  2. NEW COMER

So who needs Edwards when you have a daughter like that. Besides Edwards can bring a whole 19 pledged delegates to the Obama total. Hillary will get more than that in KY and Purto Rico.

May 14, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  3. Cindy

Not commenting much on the tears... while I'm sure they are genuine, I don't think tears have a place in national politics...

I can see why she is proud of her daughter. Chelsea started the season as a "seen but not heard" campaigner for her mom. It was unfair for reporters to single her out as "pimping" for her mom, since all adult kids of candidates do the same. Chelsea grew up... and nowadays, not only does she speak, but she also defends. She shows good character. I may not agree with her, or her mom... and definitely not agree with her dad... but Chelsea's a terrific woman. IMHO, she's the "best" Clinton.

May 14, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  4. elm

Not again. Enough of Hil-liar-y's hysterics. Fool me once…… Fool me twice shame on me. Any tears you see are for the $20 million,, oh and by the way Hil-liar-y… Pay your bills, and not with Obama’s funds. He will need those to trounce McCain.

NO HILLBILLIES in the White House. The Lincoln bedroom is not for sale/rent.

May 14, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  5. Bowey

West Virginia have spoken, We want Hillary for president, NOT Obama. It's a fact that no Democratic president has ever won the White House since 1916 without winning West Virginia. That's how important West Virginia voters are.

May 14, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  6. D.J. Morales

Hey CNN, I can interpret what a person says,...just report what happens, I'll take on the responsibility of interpreting. Oh!! I forget...CNN is a business...apparently so is politics, just ask Hillary,...or better yet, ask Bill, he knows better than anyone.

May 14, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  7. Terry in New York

Oh please, she's down in the poles and a tear hear and there worked last time. She probably pulled a couple nose hairs out when the camera was on that dingbat blitzer.

May 14, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  8. HFT in Texas

People – don't fall for that TRICK again. Most of us all feel that way about our children. What makes hers so different?

May 14, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  9. kathe oakland, california

GIVE ME A BREAK.

Another one of Hillary's "moments????" PLEASE, don't insult us Wolf nor you Hillary with this crap – crap crap. Earlier in this campaign, again when you were LOSING, you attempted to get sympathy with so-called tearing up – we never really saw any tears, not even welling in eyes.

You Clintons play every card you can to undermine Obama, try and make voters and ALL hard working Americans forget how divisive, dishonest and sneaky you are – BILL, HILLARY and yea, even Celshi?? who knows I am not her mom so I don't care to spell it correct oK.
    I am an OBAMA voter to the very end, tearing up or not Hillary – NOT THIS TIME.
    GO OBAMA

May 14, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  10. Becky

Democrats unite. Let's stop the ugly comments toward each other.

May 14, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  11. Bowen

Give it up, Wolf

She's finished. You're starting to look really pathetic.

May 14, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  12. Nando, Florida

Why are the Clintons always costing the DNC money, They left us broke in 2000 and now this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GET OUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 14, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  13. elm

Tears again... Ed Muskie had to drop out for melted snow flakes, and her we have an emotional, hysteric, post menapausal woman crying at every occasion she thinks it will help her.

NO HILLBILLIES in the White House.

May 14, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  14. Shawn, Kansas City, MO

It’s sad to see the ‘good ole boys’ putting their pride behind a black man, rather a step closer to women’s equality. Furthermore it’s sad to see such misogyny that is still allowed. Do people know that women still get 77 cents on the dollar to Barack’s?

Misogynistic Pigs. I hope with Edwards endorsement he and all the others can go home to Elizabeth/their wives and say, maybe next time sweetie. Even though she/they favored most everything about hillary and her health care plan.

May 14, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  15. maeinPA

wow...twice on the same ticker page!
    Ok...she loves her daughter...and her daughter loves her.
    And he daughter took a year off work from her hedge fund! My daughter couldn't do that for me, even though she loves and respects me! She is working two part itme jobs AND going to college for a biology degree. Unlike Chelsea, she will have student loans to pay for 20 years! She pry won' t be taking a vacation...let alone taking a year off work!
    I don't mean to sound ignorant...but ok Cnn we get it, she loves her daughter! She is proud of her daughter. Just like the rest of us...'cept for the taking ayear off work, and having no bills to pay! How much of a salary does chelsea get for stumping for mom? How can she afford to take a year off with no pay?
    How is that possible for a 28 yr. old?
    Ohhh...yeah...she's a Clinton!
    Not a blue collar working girl, with no insurance!

May 14, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  16. kathe oakland, california

You white folks are sooooooooooooooooooooo scary. Now a joint Fundraiser? We all know Clinton is broke so this is only to help her pay for her debts – come on we are not stupid here in America!!!!!!!

But, would you do same if it were Obama? You do nothing else with no bias, which caused me to ask question. Clintons can do whatever, say whatever, and there is either an excuse or very few comments but NO, with OBAMA I am surprised you Media don't critize and call him racist for type of toliet paper he uses you accuse him of everything else.

May 14, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  17. Sue

Wolf...Just watched interview with Tom Daschle. Question: Are you auditioning as a future FOX talk show host? Please, please, stop interrupting your guests!! Give them the courtesy they deserve and LET THEM FINISH THEIR SENTENCES!! Had to get that out. I have no respect for host who interrupt constantly.

May 14, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  18. Darrell

wow say something about Obama and they sensor you way to go CNN we know your helping get him elected

May 14, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  19. silence do good

Yeah we wouldn't want a president with actual human feelings. If this is bad, what is the opposite? And is that Obama?

Sexism in action:
    – Hillary cries and show normal human emotion – weak and fake
    – Hillary doesn't show emotion – cold and calculating
    – Hillary loves her daughter – she's a monster

Sorry folks – just calling it as I see it. Someone has to call out the elephant in the room.

May 14, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  20. KE

I think Blitzer is trying to show human side of him too.
    We the groundlings have easier life in some prospect.

Still, I don't think the Hillary bashing will end.

Woman for a president!

Hillary or McCain 2008!

May 14, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  21. Mat

WOW – you're reporting at the same level as FOX these days CNN – "she replied, her eyes beginning to get moist." This sounds more like a love novel than educated reporting – focusing on emotion instead of the truth!

I have no respect for anything you say these days Wolf!

May 14, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  22. Bill

Simple truth: Obama supporters are way over the top because they know they need to be loud to cover up his many flaws and weaknesses as a potential president. Their style is exactly the same as Rush Limbaugh's, and for the same reason – when you lack depth, you need to be loud. Obama-dittoheads.

May 14, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  23. Extinct Snipe

Edwards is right on target! Obama for President and Edwards as Vice President! That's an unstoppable combination. It would be a match to CHANGE the course of the country. As peoples of the U.S. we would not be seen as babaric racists (as offered by other candidates) but instead world citizens.

May 14, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  24. LUCYNA, SEATTLE

I am one of those who was alway making ugly comments about Hillary. I was just angry at her and her tricks. Still, I believe that although she has a lot of dirt in her closet, she does have good intentions to help Democratic Party to win this election and she WILL help Obama. I do support Obama, but I do believe she would be a good president too. LET'S HAVE RESPECT FOR HER AND HER HARD WORK AND STOP TRASHING HER NAME.

May 14, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  25. Ashok Kapur MD.

Dear Wolf,
    I am a keen follower and supporter of your program. I agree with your views and fully support your direction. I have sent you a copy of my new book titled "The Fall of a Super Power". The book contains many views of that you have supported. Please take a few min. to read it and I am sure it will enlighten you. I am a handicapped physician and it is difficult for me to go on a advertizing spree. I would love to appear on your show to discuss the book if possible. Kindly acknologe your receipt of the email/book. I am avalaible any time for an interview so please do not hesitate to pick a time when you are avaliable.

Kind regards,