May 14th, 2008

Blitzer: A touching moment in today's Clinton interview

Blitzer: Clinton told me she's in it until the end.
Blitzer: Clinton told me she's in it until the end.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - On this day after Hillary Clinton’s landslide victory over Barack Obama in West Virginia, I sat down with her in Washington. We had a wide-ranging interview on several substantive issues, including the economy, gas prices, the war in Iraq, and her race for the White House. “We’re going to finish this process,” she said. “I still believe I’d be a better president and the stronger candidate against Senator McCain.”

But it was a very personal matter that sparked a more emotional response from Senator Clinton. I asked her about her daughter Chelsea and the amazing work that she has been doing for her mother on the campaign trail. I was CNN’s White House correspondent back in 1993 when Bill Clinton became president. Chelsea was then a little girl. But now she’s a grown woman.

I asked Senator Clinton what goes through her mind when she sees her daughter working as hard for her campaign as she does.

“It’s one of the most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life, as a person and as a mother,” she replied, her eyes beginning to get moist. “I get very emotional. She is an exceptional person, and she’s worked so hard, and she’s done such a good job that I’m just filled with pride every time I look at her.”

It was such a very human and touching mother-daughter kind of moment. She may be a tough politician and a real fighter but she’s also a loving mother, and that came through on this day.

Watch me interview Senator Clinton at 4 and 6 p.m. ET on The Situation Room.

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Lisa

Go Hillary we need you, Obama cannot beat Mccain!!!!!

May 14, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  2. Charlotte

Wolf, don't you know she is not allowed to feel emotional. The Obama-bots will call her names again, as in the past. Why is Obama suddenly wearing a flag pin? He wouldn't be pandering now would he? Nah, he's above that.

May 14, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  3. White American

She is so FOOL of it........ Why she's crying? wasn't she supposed to be tough. I don't understand that.

May 14, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  4. AJ, IL

Wolf quit it. You are making CNN = Clinton News Network, again. For CNN to give Hillary's campaign spokesman (Howard Wolfson) that much coverage during the West Viriginia Primary last night was ridiculous and clearly biased.

To watch Howard Wolfson spin lies and denial as you and John King asked him about the pledged delegate math, and not push him to acknowledge the math was a sad piece of journalism.

May 14, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  5. steve in mn

Wolf, if you get a chance, please ask Hillary Clinton or comment on why she seems so attractive to those among us who are minimally educated while Obama attracts college graduates and intellectuals. I'd be interested in the answer.

May 14, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  6. Yes we can!

I dont doubt her love and appreciation for her daughter, but after seeing many rallies and while listening to chelsea speak, i haven't seen her drop a tear....you can do it on a wolf interview, but not in live with chelsea there.....i wish the clintons best of luck in their political future, but this time it belong to Obama/Nagel 2008/20012

May 14, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  7. Chris In California

There is so much love in this family. It is evident that Hillary Clinton and her daughter, Chelsea, are very close. It is also obvious that, in addition to her being the best person to run this country in the running right now, Hillary Clinton has earned the respect and love of her daughter along with the rest of us who support her.

May 14, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  8. Jeanne

Why do you need another blog area for this topic. Isn't one enough?

May 14, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  9. Helene

If she cries another time on TV I am going to throw up, literally ! Please !

May 14, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  10. bg

Senator Obama is just too good. I think Senator Hillary is also a strong candidate, but unfortunately she ran into 'once-a-life-time' phenom. Too bad for Senator Hillary.

Reminds me of Phil Mickelson running into Tiger Woods in golf......

May 14, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  11. Proud1of 26% in WV

Putting all politics aside there is nothing stronger than my love for my children,and I'm sure that Hillary and Barack feel the same way.

May 14, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  12. vict

She need to stop this game it is not going work this time Americans can not be fooled twice is she the only emotional person in this country ? all this is fake .It worked in Newhampshire it not going to work this time we are not children the game is over .When she was wining ther was no cry she was laughing.And now she is doing yhis to make people feel sorry for her not this time enough iss enough

May 14, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  13. JW from Washington, DC

Seriously, Wolf? I mean, how can anyone believe her 'tears' are sincere? Perhaps they are, perhaps they aren't, but given her history and 'convenient timing' for tears, I wish Wolf would have not taken her 'tender emotion' at face value. I'm sure its easy to get that way when anyone thinks of how proud they are of their child, and Chelsea has grown up to be a strong woman, but I can't imagine Clinton doing something like this without it being politically motivated.

May 14, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  14. CW4Barak

Aww...how sweet....do us all a favor and sing fat lady! Stop trying to scam poor white blue collar americans how of their hard earned money by misleading them about the prospects of you ever getting this nomination. Smart Obama supporters know you are just campaigning to pay off your huge debt. You are such a liar and dishonest! You don't care about us....you will say, do and become anything to try to steal this nomination....if you can't run a simple primary campaign without plunging it into debt...how the heck are you going to run the most powerful country on earth. Also, you need to apologise to us all for blinding us everyday with those bright colored suits!!

May 14, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  15. VA Republicans

You have to give us a break Wolf Blitzer. just SAY it. be a man and SAY it. you support HRC. thats OK. its your right to vote for whomever you want. you also need to remeber that when you are on TV talking to millions of viewers you need to be nuetral. this tear thing worked before so this your new of helping her to win Orgon????? this is sick

May 14, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  16. vict

May 14, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  17. brush

I for one am glad that she can get chocked up, she can show some real emotions, she is a real woman, a mother, a wife, and she loves her country. Good for her. Obama , and his amazon fake wife scares the crap out of me. I said fake, because I feel that he is fake and if he is elected I hope America gets what they wanted, a liar, thief, non christian, one that is just now proud of being an American , proud of the USA. Christians where are you? Do you not read your bible. Does it not mean anything to you at all that is a smooth talker, easy on the eye, has millions flocking after him like he is some GOD. Beware you are gonna get what you deserve and then its gonna be too late. I hope HC can pull this one off someway , somehow, cause if she don't, we as a country are going to be in a world of hurt, and if you think your scared now, waite, you haven't seen nothing yet.!

May 14, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  18. Brandon

Wow, thanks for two stories on Clinton getting emotional... I really needed that.. Still waiting for the story on Obama endorsements

May 14, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  19. HILLARY CAN WIN IN NOVEMBER!!

THE PEOPLE OF WEST VIRGINIA SPOKE LOUD AND CLEAR LAST NIGHT!!!!!!

WHAT A WIN!!!!!

HILLARY IS MUCH MORE ABLE TO BEAT McCAIN IN NOVEMBER!!!!!

OBAMA IS RIDDLED WITH CONTROVERSY!!!!!

HE COULDN'T GIVE TWO CRAPS ABOUT ANY ONE WHO IS HAVING A HARD TIME PAYING THE BILLS!!!!!

HILLARY CAN RELATE!!!!!

THANK YOU WEST VIRGINIA!!!!!!! GO HILLARY!!!!!!!

May 14, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  20. RB

Wolf, it was staged to win votes. Get over it.

May 14, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  21. Eli

Wolf is a Clinton supporter, or at least he postions himself as a aide to keep this fight going.... Or is he a GOP supporter?

May 14, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  22. Paul

Thanks for letting America know that Hillary is also human and the best candidate for this election

Hillary we love you and support you all the way!!!
    We need a Clinton to restore our broken economy

FLA and Michigan must count, they are Americans

Obama can be your VP until he learns how to do the job. He might eventually be ready in the future.

Hillary 08 – Yes you will!!!
    Puerto Rico, Florida, Michigan, West Virginia, Kentucky & Oregon for Clinton!!!
    Vote Democrat- Vote for Clinton

May 14, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  23. ueen golf04

this remind me about obama's book,dreams from my father where he wrote touchingly about what his white mother went through before she died,between trying to pay her hospital bill and giving the impression to her children that everything was alrite,i think that was one of the most emotional moment of my entire life.

May 14, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  24. mike for houston

It is so fake ........................... I feel annoying.

May 14, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  25. Swigg

I didn't see the interview, but as soon as I read this story I knew that the overwhelming comment from many bloggers would be "Here she goes with the crying game again". I was right, many start accusing her of the crying game and using her role as a mother to garner sympathy and look human. Some people are just very harsh.

I have been bitterly disappointed in Senator Clinton's behavior and tactics during this campaign. Although I don't believe she is a racist, I thought her comments to the USA Today were racially devisive and invited racial bigotry. I also believe her decision to stay in this campaign is adversely impacting the Democratic Party and demonstrates fiscal irresponsibility.

All that said.., I honestly believe she is very proud of her daughter and I can understand that it means a lot to her to have her daughter on the campaign trail with her. I'm sure it means a lot to her to have her daughter's respect and admiration. Again, I didn't see the interview, but it's probably the most genuine and honest statement she gave.

I voted for Senator Obama and I believe he will serve the USA well as President. Although I have found Senator Clinton's tactics and behavior disgraceful and, strongly prefer that she not be selected to run as VP on the ticket with Senator Obama, I will support her if she is the democratic nominee. However, I strongly doubt she will win the nomination. Frankly, I hope she doesn't.

May 14, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |