May 14th, 2008

Blitzer: A touching moment in today's Clinton interview

Blitzer: Clinton told me she's in it until the end.
Blitzer: Clinton told me she's in it until the end.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - On this day after Hillary Clinton’s landslide victory over Barack Obama in West Virginia, I sat down with her in Washington. We had a wide-ranging interview on several substantive issues, including the economy, gas prices, the war in Iraq, and her race for the White House. “We’re going to finish this process,” she said. “I still believe I’d be a better president and the stronger candidate against Senator McCain.”

But it was a very personal matter that sparked a more emotional response from Senator Clinton. I asked her about her daughter Chelsea and the amazing work that she has been doing for her mother on the campaign trail. I was CNN’s White House correspondent back in 1993 when Bill Clinton became president. Chelsea was then a little girl. But now she’s a grown woman.

I asked Senator Clinton what goes through her mind when she sees her daughter working as hard for her campaign as she does.

“It’s one of the most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life, as a person and as a mother,” she replied, her eyes beginning to get moist. “I get very emotional. She is an exceptional person, and she’s worked so hard, and she’s done such a good job that I’m just filled with pride every time I look at her.”

It was such a very human and touching mother-daughter kind of moment. She may be a tough politician and a real fighter but she’s also a loving mother, and that came through on this day.

Watch me interview Senator Clinton at 4 and 6 p.m. ET on The Situation Room.

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. GL

I knew you couldn't go more than two days writing real stories!!! Even put money on it. Thanks for the $20.00 Wolf. Now I can go buy 5 gallons of gas, or 4 gallons of milk. How sad this has all really become....

May 14, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  2. Eli

I quess it is a choking matter for Se. Clinton,. she now has to wait for Chelsey to run before another Clinton can make a serious run for the White House. Moms never want to be beat out by their duaghters!

May 14, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  3. CNN, Report The News!

Two superdelegates representing College Democrats of America endorsed Obama this morning – but CNN doesn't mention it – but CNN makes an article out of a "touching moment"?

May 14, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  4. Aaron

The Democrat nominees have all done a great job with getting support from an ever wider support base and congratulations should go to them all for doing that, but the party officials them selves have done a lousy job of handling the process from start to finish and its difficult t to see at times if they are actual supporters of the Democrat party or are acting as saboteurs within it.

When it comes to the missing 178 delegates from the combined Florida and Michigan primaries, and when you reflect that this has came from about 1.2 million voters who actually voted for one of two the front runners. This has still to be resolved (due to the parties own mishandling of events, which is no fault of the voters who took part and took the time and trouble to have their votes placed). As far as the constitution goes its clear that on one has the right to disenfranchise those voters or the votes cast by any legitimate member of the population, and in one way or another votes placed must be counted, in this respect all of the voters in all the Stats have or should have under the constitution equal rights to have their votes counted and on one has the right to say otherwise, until all votes are treated equally its is not correct for the party to try and push the mater under the carpet.

In the past its was shown that it only took 538 votes to decided a Presidential election.! so lets hear all the information and lets keep it open till it is truly finished and a winner is announced that is legitimate, whoever it happens to be.

May 14, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  5. Cory Tapia

wow. how about wolf remove his lips from hillary's behind.

May 14, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  6. K.J., Dallas, TX

SD's please, please, please end this. If Sen. Clinton doesn't win the Democratice nomination, maybe she could win an emmy???

OBAMA, 2008!!!

May 14, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  7. Joe

Go spin your garbage elsewhere Wolf. You are so clearly biased that I don't trust anything that comes out of your mouth, just like Hillary. Quit trying to affect the outcome and report the news. Obviously journalism does not teach integrity anymore.

May 14, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  8. sb

Hillary Clinton chokes up, Hillary Clinton chokes up, Hillary Clinton Chokes up. CNN you should add 12 more stories covering the same topic and make it an even 20.

May 14, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  9. Beltway Insider

Is this really worthy of two separate ticker articles? Or even one?

I understand Blitzer's blatant and, frankly, nauseating bias, but no matter how biased CNN is toward Clinton, you have to at some point realize this race is over and you're not doing anybody any good by constantly pushing all this Clinton-pandering BS down our throats.

Obviously, no one is buying it anyway.

May 14, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  10. Big Easy

Good job Hillary. The only thing that trumps your strength is your tenderness as a mother.

Hillary 2008. Don't stop running. We will support you all the way to the white house.

May 14, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  11. Joyce

While her tears may have been sincere, she has lost so much credibility, dodging bullets in Belgrad and making peace in Ireland, one can only think they are just another ploy to get more votes – like in New Hampshire. It is truly sad to see this brilliant woman live in such a delusional reality as she clings to a race that is in fact over.

May 14, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  12. marilyn MD

Wolf, get a grip, Hillary is finish ...... repeat it after me.... now, close your eyes and repeat it again. Obama is goint to be your President.

May 14, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  13. tom

why putting this article twice and just changing title, there is nothing touching about this, she lost what is she still doing in the race. Today it's all about Clinton and her duaghter who cares about them we also have duaghters we love so dearly. 99% of today CNN news is about Clintons, shame on you all the way CNN. We want better news we are fade up of losers

May 14, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  14. Mac in Nova Scotia

Wolf – Is Hillary offering you the press secretary's job? I hope so. That way we will see a lot less of you.

May 14, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  15. Robin, Ward Arkansas

Lets play the sensitive mommy card! BS! I do admit, the nannies did a good job raising Chelsea.

May 14, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  16. ITS NOT 3AM, PLS WAKE HILARY UP FROM THE STATE OF DENIAL

For you wolf.!!!!!Who cares? please focus on winners and not losers
    Im not surprised, you show your distaste for Obama when reporting

May 14, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  17. DJ in MI

I liked the way she ducked the "white-american" question.

May 14, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  18. Unbelievable

Is this your idea of unbiased coverage? Would you gush all over Obama if he "moistened up"? I doubt it, he would be ridiculed as showing signs of weakness. I guess WB is nostalgic about the good old days spent apologizing for Bill when he was in office. Absolutely disgusting, I expect this kind of coverage from Stepanopoulas but not WB.

May 14, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  19. J

she makes it even more difficult to support her when she cries. so she's proud of her daughter, and she should be. that's what parents do. but if you want to be potus you look ridiculous if you get choked up every time you think something is really neat. and so then in turn, the usa looks ridiculous.

May 14, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  20. Phil From VA

Cry your way out. Please. Stop being selfish. Get out.

May 14, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  21. Dr. Truth, Boston

I'm so touched. Thank you for you service to the US. Now please leave and take you implied insults with you.

May 14, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  22. bob from dover delaware

I think its interesting to see children of politicians and even movie stars or powerful people grow up. I wonder what makes them different from their parents. Many don't choose the same paths and others are not as sucessful but it seems like chelsea is doing pretty well.

May 14, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  23. Mia

She's not the monster people make her out to be. The monster is the GOP.

Obama/Clinton '08

May 14, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  24. Former Democrat

Thank you, Blitzer.

Now let the Obamabots start trashing her. It's very sad to see the people who support the campaign of 'HOPE' be so hateful to Mrs. Clinton.

She is a mother and I have no doubt she is proud of her daughter. Give her a break, people. You candidate has won; it's time to let it go.

May 14, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  25. Independent for Obama

No matter what people have to say about the Clintons, with Chelsea, they've done a helluva job. How many parents can point to bringing up such a wonderful lady while having such a demanding and public careers.

May 14, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |